PDA

View Full Version : Prediction-Splitter starts tomorrow

mchammer
11-20-2010, 12:01 AM
Duncan played 33 minutes tonight. No way you play him a lot tomorrow-goes against everything Pop believes in. Splitter's familiar with Varejao and will do well. Hopefully, we still win.

TJastal
11-20-2010, 12:03 AM
Duncan played 33 minutes tonight. No way you play him a lot tomorrow-goes against everything Pop believes in. Splitter's familiar with Varejao and will do well. Hopefully, we still win.

I'd bet on the firecrotch starting before Tiago

rayray2k8
11-20-2010, 12:04 AM
Not gonna happen...
Bet you Bonner will start before he does.....

EricB
11-20-2010, 12:04 AM
:lol

guys like Jastal and Fabbs are so pissed that Pop goes in the books as the one ot lead them to a franchise best start.

Its just killing em.

LatinLover69
11-20-2010, 12:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Foahtz9xnw8

5in10
11-20-2010, 12:06 AM
I'm with you, I actually told my friend that too. Hopefully he makes his first start and we continue our win streak.

mchammer
11-20-2010, 12:07 AM
This is the reason why you got Splitter - to save Duncan (and to a lesser extent Mcdyess) esp. on back to backs. Gotta play Tiago unless he's injured.

rayray2k8
11-20-2010, 12:08 AM

Learn how to properly post a link and you might actually come out with a better troll..

LatinLover69
11-20-2010, 12:09 AM
Learn how to properly post a link and you might actually come out with a better troll..

DesignatedT
11-20-2010, 12:14 AM

guys like Jastal and Fabbs are so pissed that Pop goes in the books as the one ot lead them to a franchise best start.

Its just killing em.

makes them look pretty fucking stupid tbh. :lol

TJastal
11-20-2010, 12:16 AM

Its just killing em.

Having the best start in franchise history won't matter down the road when overusing Bonner and not breaking in Splitter starts costing the spurs victories, and subsequently playoff seeding and home court advantage against the lakers.

rayray2k8
11-20-2010, 12:17 AM

Go ask one of the Mav krew members to teach you how to troll.. Otherwise, you won't make it very far on this forum.

ChumpDumper
11-20-2010, 12:19 AM
Having the best start in franchise history won't matter down the road when overusing Bonner and not breaking in Splitter starts costing the spurs victories, and subsequently playoff seeding and home court advantage against the lakers.What is your ratio of late season losses per early season Splitter DNPs?

EricB
11-20-2010, 12:22 AM
Having the best start in franchise history won't matter down the road when overusing Bonner and not breaking in Splitter starts costing the spurs victories, and subsequently playoff seeding and home court advantage against the lakers.

10-1

under pop!

(fabbs and jastal shiver and cry)

TJastal
11-20-2010, 12:24 AM
What is your ratio of late season losses per early season Splitter DNPs?

I'd say

1:1

ChumpDumper
11-20-2010, 12:26 AM
I'd say

1:1:lol

So three late season losses so far. I'll give you the garbage time against OKC.

LatinLover69
11-20-2010, 12:27 AM
Go ask one of the Mav krew members to teach you how to troll.. Otherwise, you won't make it very far on this forum.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA :whine

EricB
11-20-2010, 12:27 AM
:lmao unreal

DesignatedT
11-20-2010, 12:29 AM
don't pay too much attention to TJastal, the dude is just salivating over what could have been a roger mason/tiago splitter pick n roll. lmao MAN that shit would have rivaled stockton/malone.

Chomag
11-20-2010, 12:29 AM
Not starting most likely, but would be nice to see him play and see some of the big 3 get their well deserved rest.

EricB
11-20-2010, 12:32 AM
Doesn't start. sees maybe 15 minutes.

For some reason Pop has deemed him Ian Mahinmi.

Don't know why, but he will get his chance and hopefully he takes advantage of it.

HarlemHeat37
11-20-2010, 12:34 AM
The Spurs need to do everything possible to keep Duncan's knees healthy for the playoffs..that's all that really matters..hopefully Pop doesn't fuck around..

Ross Parrot
11-20-2010, 12:35 AM
Please put Splitter in. Please put Splitter in. Please put Splitter in.

crc21209
11-20-2010, 01:19 AM
He wont start...but he will play.

ezau
11-20-2010, 02:19 AM
I think he won't start, but he'll get tons of minutes to give Duncan a rest. I still think Duncan would show up for a couple of minutes and that's it.

Leonard Curse
11-20-2010, 06:32 AM
yall wont be thinking its funny when april comes around and duncans averaging 4 rebounds a game and can barely get off the ground b/c hes freaking playing 33 minutes a game oh just wait.. youll laugh at us then

dbestpro
11-20-2010, 12:08 PM
10-1

under pop!

(fabbs and jastal shiver and cry)

The Spurs have never lost a game that Splitter has played in. :king

Cessation
11-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Why mess with a good thing. I think splitter hasnt played, cause bulls and jazz are playoff teams, and he hasnt shown he can play in big games, eg. thunder game, 3 fouls in 2 minutes. Cavs arent that great so good chance splitter will get some minutes. It wil be nice to see.

Obstructed_View
11-20-2010, 12:41 PM

Don't know why, but he will get his chance and hopefully he takes advantage of it.

You've said this more than once. Are you implying that Tiago Splitter is a scrub who doesn't practice well? Because that's what you said about Mahinmi when you were defending Pop for not playing him. I guess you guys all think that Bonner and Splitter are interchangable pieces on the Spurs team. Either that or you think that starting the season 10-1 means the Spurs get to duck the Lakers in the playoffs.

Seriously, guys. When's the "First Two Thirds of November" banner ceremony?

Obstructed_View
11-20-2010, 12:46 PM
And I'd like to see Splitter get some minutes, but I'd question starting a guy after giving him two straight DNPs. "Haphazard" is the word that comes to mind.

BTW, what the hell is with AP calling him "George Popovich"? :lol

z0sa
11-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Splitter played better than expected in his minutes. That's really all Pop could ask for. I think Pop isn't liking his conditioning and wants him to get his legs back underneath him again. He's seen all he needs to see type of idea, will integrate him a bit further down the line.

Here's to hoping. I agree Splitter must be big defensively if we're getting past LA in May.

Obstructed_View
11-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Splitter played better than expected in his minutes. That's really all Pop could ask for. I think Pop isn't liking his conditioning and wants him to get his legs back underneath him again. He's seen all he needs to see type of idea, will integrate him a bit further down the line.

Here's to hoping. I agree Splitter must be big defensively if we're getting past LA in May.

I've heard this argument, but how does sitting on the bench improve a guy's conditioning? It's also a rather huge coincidence that Bonner comes back from injury and suddenly Splitter's too out of shape to play.

Baseline
11-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Maybe Tiago is not 100%. Calf injuries are strange, and muscle tweaks in that area tend to reoccur. If Pop is playing both Neal and Anderson (both rookies) minutes this early, then he should be playing Tigo as well - if he's actually healthy.

If he's 100%, he needs to be on the court.

z0sa
11-20-2010, 12:55 PM
I've heard this argument, but how does sitting on the bench improve a guy's conditioning? It's also a rather huge coincidence that Bonner comes back from injury and suddenly Splitter's too out of shape to play.

I agree benching someone won't improve his conditioning, but conversely, how much can one improve his conditioning during a handful of gametime minutes? That's done during practice and the off season. I'm on your side, but I also recognize the existence of that opposing argument.

As for the Bonner parallel, it's an interesting observation, but not one I'm worried about just yet. Splitter is set to make more dough IIRC and he's clearly skilled enough to warrant playing time. IMO if anyone is the odd man out come April, it will be Blair.

Obstructed_View
11-20-2010, 01:02 PM
I agree benching someone won't improve his conditioning, but conversely, how much can one improve his conditioning during a handful of gametime minutes? That's done during practice and the off season. I'm on your side, but I also recognize the existence of that opposing argument.

As for the Bonner parallel, it's an interesting observation, but not one I'm worried about just yet. Splitter is set to make more dough IIRC and he's clearly skilled enough to warrant playing time. IMO if anyone is the odd man out come April, it will be Blair.

I think Bonner's making quite a bit more money, but that shouldn't be relevant. Every player ever interviewed on the subject has said that there's nothing in the world that can simulate game time. Sean Elliott says it a hundred times a season. You can't get your game legs on an exercise bike or in practice, especially as infrequently as the team practices in the regular season.

ChuckD
11-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Seriously, guys. When's the "First Two Thirds of November" banner ceremony?

In April, when we're fighting for 1-4 instead of 7-8 playoff seeds.

I think Pop has changed strategy. He's decided to kill it while the schedule is soft, and work players in as he can, instead of teaching with early losses as he has in the past. That really hasn't worked in 2-3 years. The Spurs are just left gasping as they fight for a playoff spot.

z0sa
11-20-2010, 01:07 PM
I only mention the $$ aspect because both have just been signed to their deals. Also, I think you're overlooking the fact that Splitter played while Bonner was out despite just coming off an injury - if Bonner had been healthy all along, it's plausible we would never have seen much Splitter at all anyway, at least to this point and/or until he got in better shape. Maybe Bonner's injury threw off Pop's game plan a bit, but now it's back on track.

Let's just hope his "plan" doesn't involve a benched Splitter in April and beyond.

MaNu4Tres
11-20-2010, 01:33 PM

Or maybe his competition for the 4th big spot had a career night in his second game back?

Got to remember, Tiago was the 2nd big off the bench against the Thunder, he picked up 3 fouls in less than two minutes (two fouls were crap calls) and Bonner took full advantage going 7 for 7 from downtown.

That being said, Pop is riding the "hot-hand" and going with the players who are "playing well".

My problem with that is, Splitter hasn't received a real opportunity to prove anything the past 2 games and hasn't had a significant chance to prove his real worth in games prior to that with barely playing 10-15 minutes a night. Pop has totally ignored him because Bonner had a career night and Pop believes Bonner's ability to spread the floor is the reason for the Spurs' gaudy offensive output this year. Which isn't really the case, the talent is the reason and the internal improvement with most players on the team is the reason.

Spurs PPG w/ Bonner - 104 (5 games)

Spurs PPG w/out Bonner- 107 (6 games)

Don't get me wrong, I understand how Bonner spreads the floor and creates more space for Tony and Manu's pick and roll opportunities, but is it really an essential piece for the Spurs being 2nd in the NBA in scoring? No it's not. Spurs don't need Bonner on the floor in order to put up 105+ a night.

That being said I'm a firm believer that Pop is shooting this team in the foot (in grand scheme of things) with what is transpiring ( even though it is early). Don't get me wrong, Spurs are 10-1 and that's great and all but he's not playing the one piece that gives the Spurs the ability to reach their optimal level on the defensive end. In the grand scheme of things, that matters if a championship is the goal PERIOD.

Blackjack
11-20-2010, 01:40 PM
I doubt we'll see Splitter start (highly) but I do believe Duncan should be donning a sports coat tonight, possibly Manu as well -- he clearly didn't have his legs last night and the second night of a back-to-back could leave him more susceptible to injury.

As it pertains to Tiago, the guy needs to play. Period. The biggest problem he's really had has been with the officials and conditioning. How do you address that? You play him.

Bottom line, the Spurs aren't winning a championship if Splitter's utilized like a first-year Fabricio Oberto. Matt Bonner must be their fifth big by year's end and a well/timely-used situational player.

When you look at this team and the defensive strides they needed to make during the offseason, one has to look at how they could improve: better knowledge, better health, and most important of all, better players.

Who has this team added to the roster that can improve their defense?

Splitter and Anderson -- they both will have to be key parts to the Spurs' rotation when it's all said and done.

Anderson may be on the shelf, but Splitter isn't. The Spurs are off to a 10-1 start and the team really looks great considering the time of year and the fact they're playing nowhere near their best team ball, but this team's success is all about the big picture.

The Spurs need to get the most of their youth. Blair, Splitter and, yes, Bonner, need to steal minutes in the front court to keep Duncan and 'Dyess as fresh as possible for the playoffs. Bonner needs to play, just not at the expense of Splitter -- Splitter's success is of greater value to the team and its championship aspirations.

SenorSpur
11-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Like others have said, I doubt Splitter gets a start versus the Cavs, but he certainly should get some burn. This will not be a practice game, but it should provide Pop to give the big Brazilian center some key, non-mop-up, minutes.

TJastal
11-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Or maybe his competition for the 4th big spot had a career night in his second game back?

Got to remember, Tiago was the 2nd big off the bench against the Thunder, he picked up 3 fouls in less than two minutes (two fouls were crap calls) and Bonner took full advantage going 7 for 7 from downtown.

That being said, Pop is riding the "hot-hand" and going with the players who are "playing well".

My problem with that is, Splitter hasn't received a real opportunity to prove anything the past 2 games and hasn't had a significant chance to prove his real worth in games prior to that with barely playing 10-15 minutes a night. Pop has totally ignored him because Bonner had a career night and Pop believes Bonner's ability to spread the floor is the reason for the Spurs' gaudy offensive output this year. Which isn't really the case, the talent is the reason and the internal improvement with most players on the team is the reason.

Spurs PPG w/ Bonner - 104 (5 games)

Spurs PPG w/out Bonner- 107 (6 games)

Don't get me wrong, I understand how Bonner spreads the floor and creates more space for Tony and Manu's pick and roll opportunities, but is it really an essential piece for the Spurs being 2nd in the NBA in scoring? No it's not. Spurs don't need Bonner on the floor in order to put up 105+ a night.

That being said I'm a firm believer that Pop is shooting this team in the foot (in grand scheme of things) with what is transpiring ( even though it is early). Don't get me wrong, Spurs are 10-1 and that's great and all but he's not playing the one piece that gives the Spurs the ability to reach their optimal level on the defensive end. In the grand scheme of things, that matters if a championship is the goal PERIOD.

I agree. :tu

And I'll add there should have been a sense of urgency from the very beginning of the season in getting Splitter integrated into the rotation, because as we've seen in years past, Duncan's body wears down significantly faster when paired with Matt Bonner. That Pop can't see this after 4 years of Bonner, is alarming to say the least.

Agloco
11-20-2010, 01:58 PM

I think Pop has changed strategy. He's decided to kill it while the schedule is soft, and work players in as he can, instead of teaching with early losses as he has in the past. That really hasn't worked in 2-3 years. The Spurs are just left gasping as they fight for a playoff spot.

+1

Great take man. I was just commenting on this to a few friends. Looks like the Spurs are substituting SPAM with SPIN (Spurs Push in November).

jjktkk
11-20-2010, 02:05 PM
makes them look pretty fucking stupid tbh. :lol

+1. Don't forget Obstructed View.

DesignatedT
11-20-2010, 02:09 PM

Exactly, Then it's the same guys who complained that we "lost to many early games" last season, and now since we are actually winning the early games they all of a sudden don't mean anything.

BackHome
11-20-2010, 02:18 PM
For us to win a tittle Splitter and Anderson are the bench guys who need to be ready and able to play. I think the only reason Splitter hasn't played is that he was out the pre season with an injury and the Spurs might just want his conditioning to get better before playing major minutes. As an athlete the more out of shape you are the higher chances of getting an injury.

The Spur will have to watch Timmy, Manu, and also Blairs minutes to make sure they are not over using them and that they will be fresh for when it counts. But we are only a few games into the season and we have a ton of home games in the first 30 games and our schedule is pretty easy. That is the reason for putting such importance on starting with a good record is that these games are the ones we should win and need to win in order to have a good record at the end of the year.

Blackjack
11-20-2010, 02:29 PM

The Spurs have struggled with health and/or the incorporation of new talent for the past two years. The health issues and lack of a real front court mate for Duncan has seemingly pushed him too hard early and netted diminishing returns late.

So I don't believe them starting slow was by design as much as it was an understanding of the circumstance and dealing with it accordingly -- had they had the health and talent for those two years from the jump, they never would have been put behind the 8-ball and Pop wouldn't have felt the need or desire to play mad scientist with his line-ups.

There's no doubt the players have gotten into Pop's ear about not wanting to lose ground early -- namely Manu and Tim. But I believe that's a concern borne from two years of frustration.

Sometimes you can forget how and why something came to be and start dictating choices and decisions from a distorted premise. Some would argue that's exactly what happened to Pop starting back as early as 2004-05 (when they found success going small against Phoenix) and that maybe the fact that Pop got used to starting slow became what he expected and how he coached early? Maybe the players just wanted to make sure he hadn't forgotten their ultimate success didn't come from some predetermined early season slow-burn?

Whatever the case, I find it a pretty tough argument to make that the playing of Splitter early is a bad thing for the Spurs short or long-term.

The Spurs are going to need him in the end -- his development is crucial -- and his minute-eating serves a very different purpose than that of Bonner's -- he helps with the heavy lifting, easing the burden of responsibility that falls on the likes of Duncan and 'Dyess.

TJastal
11-20-2010, 02:38 PM
For us to win a tittle Splitter and Anderson are the bench guys who need to be ready and able to play. I think the only reason Splitter hasn't played is that he was out the pre season with an injury and the Spurs might just want his conditioning to get better before playing major minutes. As an athlete the more out of shape you are the higher chances of getting an injury.

The Spur will have to watch Timmy, Manu, and also Blairs minutes to make sure they are not over using them and that they will be fresh for when it counts. But we are only a few games into the season and we have a ton of home games in the first 30 games and our schedule is pretty easy. That is the reason for putting such importance on starting with a good record is that these games are the ones we should win and need to win in order to have a good record at the end of the year.

Couldn't agree more. Can't risk an injury at this point due to bad conditioning. That's why I think we should chip in and get Tiago this book:

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/5015/chaircover.jpg

SenorSpur
11-20-2010, 02:53 PM

I'm sure this statement will certainly rile up the pro-Bonner faction on the board, but there is much truth in it. Of course, no one can or should quarrel with the successful start the Spurs are having. However, I do find it very peculiar that Spiltter suddenly went from developing at a good pace and providing immediate contributions, including some much-needed pick-and-roll defense, to several games of DNP-CDs? There's no other explanation than that which OV provided.

Whatever the case, I just want Splitter ready to go when the Spurs face the top teams in the West - particularly the Fakers. Splitter has the potential to make a far greater impact in those games.

SenorSpur
11-20-2010, 02:58 PM
For us to win a tittle Splitter and Anderson are the bench guys who need to be ready and able to play.

Great point.:toast

ohmwrecker
11-20-2010, 03:09 PM
The Spurs should be able to sit Tim and still win this game easily. Splitter needs the reps. Sitting on the bench isn't doing him any good. It's hard to complain when they are 10-1, but Bonner has really thrown a wrench in Splitter's development. I can't see that it makes the Spurs a better team to have Bonner soak up all of Splitter's minutes.

Mel_13
11-20-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm sure this statement will certainly rile up the pro-Bonner faction on the board, but there is much truth in it. Of course, no one can or should quarrel with the successful start the Spurs are having. However, I do find it very peculiar that Spiltter suddenly went from developing at a good pace and providing immediate contributions, including some much-needed pick-and-roll defense, to several games of DNP-CDs? There's no other explanation than that which OV provided.

Whatever the case, I just want Splitter ready to go when the Spurs face the top teams in the West - particularly the Fakers. Splitter has the potential to make a far greater impact in those games.

Of course there are. The most likely alternative explanation is a minor tweak to the calf injury. There are others, but exercising caution to avoid aggravating the injury is the most likely.

Blackjack
11-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Of course there are. The most likely alternative explanation is a minor tweak to the calf injury. There are others, but exercising caution to avoid aggravating the injury is the most likely.

For the sake of my mental health, or the little that exists, I hope that's the case.

But Pop was ready to send Tiago in for the final seconds of last night's game.

TD 21
11-20-2010, 08:26 PM
So long as the Spurs can get away with it (meaning, not lose in the process), Splitter should play close to 30 minutes tonight. He's not old man Ratliff, he's a young guy. I'm tired of this conditioning excuse. You know how you build stamina? By playing.

One of Duncan or McDyess shouldn't play entirely. I'd lean towards McDyess, because he'll be needed against the Magic and (theoretically, at least) there's no big who's enough of a concern on the Cavs that the Spurs should need his defense. Duncan should play but have his minutes monitored. As in, if things are under control, play him as little as possible.

It's games like these where Blair and Splitter (I'd add Bonner, but he's dealing with back spasms) need to eat up a lot of minutes.

Obstructed_View
11-20-2010, 09:01 PM

One good thing Pop's done with the strategy is to allow the starters to get enough minutes to get the victories during the soft part of the schedule, which he didn't do last year.

z0sa
11-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Looks like the sky isn't falling after all.

polandprzem
11-20-2010, 10:39 PM
it did fall on Obstructed apparently now

ChumpDumper
11-20-2010, 11:05 PM
But we've already lost three late season games.

The damage is done.

Obstructed_View
11-21-2010, 05:23 AM
it did fall on Obstructed apparently now

I'm horribly crushed, but I'm buoyed by Splitter's return from what was pretty clearly a debilitating injury. Kudos to Matt Bonner for soldiering up to fill his spot. Splitter was obviously out of shape and he clearly doesn't know the playbook yet. Hopefully after he sits out the next couple of games to recharge his batteries we can try again. They'll have to figure out a way to get the offense going with Splitter on the floor, because it clearly grinds to a halt due to his inability to spread the floor.

ChumpDumper
11-21-2010, 05:28 AM
It is interesting that Splitter was out there with Bonner for much of the time, now that you mention it.

Obstructed_View
11-21-2010, 05:37 AM
It is interesting that Splitter was out there with Bonner for much of the time, now that you mention it.

How did that combo look? Seemed intriguing when Pop put them in together.

SpurmzKilla
11-21-2010, 05:52 AM

awesome prediction

polandprzem
11-21-2010, 06:41 AM
I'm horribly crushed, but I'm buoyed by Splitter's return from what was pretty clearly a debilitating injury. Kudos to Matt Bonner for soldiering up to fill his spot. Splitter was obviously out of shape and he clearly doesn't know the playbook yet. Hopefully after he sits out the next couple of games to recharge his batteries we can try again. They'll have to figure out a way to get the offense going with Splitter on the floor, because it clearly grinds to a halt due to his inability to spread the floor.

By your standards it's gonna look this way.

Damn Tiago was so lucky Pop did not seen him on the floor last night. Otherwise he would have benched him.

Why don't you bitch now that McDyess was not playing at all?

Obstructed_View
11-21-2010, 07:36 AM
By your standards it's gonna look this way.

Damn Tiago was so lucky Pop did not seen him on the floor last night. Otherwise he would have benched him.

Why don't you bitch now that McDyess was not playing at all?

I have no idea what you're talking about. I can't tell if it's a language thing or just because you're not as clever as you think you are.

Why would I complain about McDyess not playing? I don't see anyone suggesting he must be injured or that he's out of shape, or that he's too stupid to play pro basketball.

Leonard Curse
11-21-2010, 08:08 AM
gotta say your good for calling it! if he hadnt played last night i would have had a heart attack! i mean what was the big deal? look at what he did last night ive been preachin splitter!

polandprzem
11-21-2010, 10:42 AM
I have no idea what you're talking about. I can't tell if it's a language thing or just because you're not as clever as you think you are.

Why would I complain about McDyess not playing? I don't see anyone suggesting he must be injured or that he's out of shape, or that he's too stupid to play pro basketball.

So what was your point in the first place?

You was crying about Pop giving too much minutes to bonner and not giving Splitter more (also minutes)

Now Splitter got more playing time and it's okay?

Are you okay with this amount of minutes?
I assumed that you are a Bonner hater at this point. And now he is stealing Dyess minutes.

As for me I said it before. Tiago was not ready to play earlier or the circumstances were specific so he could get additional 'rest'. Because
one - he had an injury [and no one wants to rush a player in frickin November esp. when another guy from the same position is lights out]
two - he had summer with a lot of basketball and now getting into physical shape

And all those who were at the edge of a cliff and comparing Tiago to Ian are also mistaken.
And I repeat - Tiago was playing bball at the high level. Mainhimi never, and he was always a prospect with unknown potential.

-------------
Sorry that I'm not that good at English, and as it occurs I'm not good at anything. blah

Obstructed_View
11-21-2010, 01:22 PM

You was crying about Pop giving too much minutes to bonner and not giving Splitter more (also minutes)
I don't know that I ever made that point. I certainly never cried about anything. I mentioned that it's quite a coincidence that Splitter got DNPed as soon as Bonner came back from his injury. I have pointed out time and again that they shouldn't be competing for minutes because their roles are completely different.

Actually, yeah. I'd like for Splitter to get some minutes. Did you have a problem with his 18 points, his blocks, and his field goal percentage? Sort of blows the "he's not healthy" or "he isn't very good" theories out of the water.

Is there some reason not to be? It beats the hell out of zero. You might want to go back and find out exactly what it is I've said that you have a problem with. Maybe I misspoke or wasn't clear.

I assumed that you are a Bonner hater at this point. And now he is stealing Dyess minutes.
I'm not sure where you got that. I don't hate Bonner, but I don't like Bonner getting more minutes than anyone but the starters, especially when he's not hitting his shots. I've said time and again how I think he should be used, and how good he can be for the team when he is. I could give a shit if he gets McDyess' minutes; everyone knows Dice will be ready after January, and I'm perfectly happy if he gets some rest. The refs know who he is and he knows his role on the team. The same can't be said for Splitter. If Splitter's not healed up, I'm all for sitting him until he is.

As for me I said it before. Tiago was not ready to play earlier or the circumstances were specific so he could get additional 'rest'. Because
one - he had an injury [and no one wants to rush a player in frickin November esp. when another guy from the same position is lights out]
two - he had summer with a lot of basketball and now getting into physical shape
Or three: Pop occasionally sits guys out for a stretch of games with no apparent explanation or logic behind it, usually a young player losing minutes in favor of one of his favorite vets, or a three point shooter in favor of a defensive center. There's a long history of him doing that. The complete lack of evidence to support your theory serves as evidence to support mine. Regardless, if Splitter's healthy now, he won't be getting DNP-CD anytime soon.

And all those who were at the edge of a cliff and comparing Tiago to Ian are also mistaken.
And I repeat - Tiago was playing bball at the high level. Mainhimi never, and he was always a prospect with unknown potential.
I basically agree with you on the first part of that. Mahinmi got one shot with the Spurs and knocked it out of the park. He never got a chance to follow that performance up. You might forgive some Spurs fans for publicly wondering if Pop's doing the same thing again.

polandprzem
11-21-2010, 01:38 PM
I don't know that I ever made that point. I certainly never cried about anything. I mentioned that it's quite a coincidence that Splitter got DNPed as soon as Bonner came back from his injury. I have pointed out time and again that they shouldn't be competing for minutes because their roles are completely different.

If the roles are different then he is not stealing the minutes. In a way McDyess is.
Pop needed a different offense maybe?
And Thunder game and Chicago game proves it.

Actually, yeah. I'd like for Splitter to get some minutes. Did you have a problem with his 18 points, his blocks, and his field goal percentage? Sort of blows the "he's not healthy" or "he isn't very good" theories out of the water.
Nahh it's not blowing anything.
I knew Tiago can produce. It's just a matter of getting into rhythm and be familiar with the new people. As well as being in game shape.

I'm not sure where you got that. I don't hate Bonner, but I don't like Bonner getting more minutes than anyone but the starters, especially when he's not hitting his shots. I've said time and again how I think he should be used, and how good he can be for the team when he is. I could give a shit if he gets McDyess' minutes; everyone knows Dice will be ready after January, and I'm perfectly happy if he gets some rest. The refs know who he is and he knows his role on the team. The same can't be said for Splitter. If Splitter's not healed up, I'm all for sitting him until he is.

I agree with a difference that, well when you have player in the zone you let him play.
So many ppl here were bashing on Pop that he is not letting the guys on the row play. Now he does and it's bad thing because 'someone' wants Tiago to play when it's no need in this situation. 10 games into season after long summer after an injury and with other big who gives a lot of positive things

Or three: Pop occasionally sits guys out for a stretch of games with no apparent explanation or logic behind it, usually a young player losing minutes in favor of one of his favorite vets, or a three point shooter in favor of a defensive center. There's a long history of him doing that. The complete lack of evidence to support your theory serves as evidence to support mine. Regardless, if Splitter's healthy now, he won't be getting DNP-CD anytime soon.
RU sure he will play now?
All in all there is no logic in Pop, so he could sit him down now

btw. There is always a logic behind the decision. The matter is if it's good or bad.

I basically agree with you on the first part of that. Mahinmi got one shot with the Spurs and knocked it out of the park. He never got a chance to follow that performance up. You might forgive some Spurs fans for publicly wondering if Pop's doing the same thing again.
If I will forgive them I will get something in return?

Obstructed_View
11-21-2010, 02:44 PM
If the roles are different then he is not stealing the minutes. In a way McDyess is.
Pop needed a different offense maybe?
And Thunder game and Chicago game proves it.
No. Bonner shouldn't be getting minutes if he's not hitting shots. He's not a rotation player, he's a role player. His role is to hit threes. He got the same number of minutes as Dice and Splitter didn't play on a night that Bonner wasn't hitting his shots. That shouldn't happen, and I'll point that out every time it happens. I can't really accuse him of "stealing" Dice's minutes when he went 4-7 from three point range and it's the second night of a back to back (Bonner played 8 more minutes than Duncan.)

I agree with a difference that, well when you have player in the zone you let him play.
So many ppl here were bashing on Pop that he is not letting the guys on the row play. Now he does and it's bad thing because 'someone' wants Tiago to play when it's no need in this situation. 10 games into season after long summer after an injury and with other big who gives a lot of positive things
I'm almost tempted to give Pop credit for playing his players, but that's what you're supposed to do. I have no idea why he's failed to do it in the past.

RU sure he will play now?
All in all there is no logic in Pop, so he could sit him down now

btw. There is always a logic behind the decision. The matter is if it's good or bad.
To be honest, I'm not at all sure that he'll play now. But I'm willing to go along with the logic that if Splitter's healthy, there's no reason for him to be sat down like he was anytime soon.

Not all madness has a method to it.

ChumpDumper
11-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Ian certainly is tearing it up in Dallas.

polandprzem
11-21-2010, 02:58 PM
I said there is a logic [purpose] in making actions

And if there is no reason him to sit, he should not. As simple as that.
The thing is it's pops reasons and we do not know the whole situation. But from the past that happened and what was going on with Splitter and with the team I say it was all good for him to sit on that stretch. Period.

fuck me - I'm getting worse in writing.
I need more practice.

jjktkk
11-21-2010, 03:35 PM

And Obstructed view is probably on a Mavs website telling people what an idiot Carlisle is for not playing Mahimni more. :lol

Obstructed_View
11-21-2010, 04:21 PM

Ian's playing behind two legitimate centers that are playing well. What was the excuse when he was here?

jjktkk
11-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Ian's playing behind two legitimate centers that are playing well. What was the excuse when he was here?

The excuse was he is a physical talent without the necessary BBIQ to be anything more than a end of a bench guy in the NBA. Maybe Mahimini is one of those 10 year developmental guys.

Obstructed_View
11-21-2010, 06:34 PM
The excuse was he is a physical talent without the necessary BBIQ to be anything more than a end of a bench guy in the NBA. Maybe Mahimini is one of those 10 year developmental guys.

Yet the one time he was given minutes he played really great.

underdawg
11-21-2010, 06:52 PM
Yet the one time he was given minutes he played really great.

which is really strange since he was so horrilble in practice (allegedly.)

There's no good reason for boner to steal minutes from Splitter - unless Splitter's injured. Boner's a one trick pony that's only needed in times that call for that one trick - leave the rest of the minutes to bigs with true big skills.

underdawg
11-21-2010, 06:55 PM

nice deflection

jjktkk
11-21-2010, 09:33 PM
nice deflection

I thought so. Maybe we should dig up some Mahimni threads and start that debate again.

ChumpDumper
11-21-2010, 09:40 PM
Ian's playing behind two legitimate centers that are playing well. What was the excuse when he was here?He just wasn't that good.

Obstructed_View
11-22-2010, 04:55 PM
He just wasn't that good.

That was definitely an excuse, particularly since he actually played really well during the one chance he was given.

jjktkk
11-22-2010, 06:42 PM

-------------
Sorry that I'm not that good at English, and as it occurs I'm not good at anything. blah

Actually with Obstructed View you have to read between the lines. He doesn't hate any players, he hates Popovich and likes to questions Pop's coaching decisions and player personnel decisions.

Obstructed_View
11-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Actually with Obstructed View you have to read between the lines. He doesn't hate any players, he hates Popovich and likes to questions Pop's coaching decisions and player personnel decisions.

I've never been unclear on a position I've taken. I'm critical when I feel the need to be and I will give examples where I can.

For example, I'm thinking of pointing out what a pussy you are for talking about me in response to other people's posts instead of just taking on an opinion I've given. You've now done it no less than three times in this thread alone.

If you have a problem with something I've said, I'd love to hear about it. Chances are I've curbstomped you in enough discussions that this little passive-aggressive thing is just your way of dealing with your failure. Until you get past this, you might just refrain from posting; Chump and Poland are more than capable of expressing their side of a discussion without your help. :lol

jjktkk
11-22-2010, 08:06 PM
I've never been unclear on a position I've taken. I'm critical when I feel the need to be and I will give examples where I can.

For example, I'm thinking of pointing out what a pussy you are for talking about me in response to other people's posts instead of just taking on an opinion I've given. You've now done it no less than three times in this thread alone.

If you have a problem with something I've said, I'd love to hear about it. Chances are I've curbstomped you in enough discussions that this little passive-aggressive thing is just your way of dealing with your failure. Until you get past this, you might just refrain from posting; Chump and Poland are more than capable of expressing their side of a discussion without your help. :lol

Uuh, I love the "internet tough guy bit", thats always good for a few laughs. Curbstomp too. Outstanding! And I'm a pussy. The mighty Obstructed view is showing some hiney being hurt. Are we going back to our high schools days? I guess the next thing is your gonna tell me your dad can beat up my dad right? I like your point about you feeling the need to be critical. Me too. No need to get your SpongeBob Squarepants boxers in a bind.

Obstructed_View
11-22-2010, 10:16 PM
And I'm a pussy.