PDA

View Full Version : Ok, color me impressed.

TwoHandJam
11-20-2010, 12:03 AM
With every win this team notches I get a little more convinced - and I don't usually get excitable, especially in November. However, there is something about this team I can't put my finger on yet that I haven't seen in a Spurs squad in a long time - if ever.

They are definitely scoring the ball easier than any previous Spurs incarnation I've seen and now even a glimpse of what the defense could become is impressive. Nine in a row. Not a fluke - that much is true.

And some potential yet to be realized still with Hill and Blair slow on the uptake (albeit improving) and Splitter underutilized. James Anderson robbed from us early (surgery happen yet?) and we're still dominating. Could be a special team.

Maybe. Like I said I'm not one to get cocky but I've taken notice. I like what I see.

:flag:

mingus
11-20-2010, 12:10 AM
i knew the offense would be great all along, but what i'm most pleased and surprised with is the defense by RJ and Hill. RJ and Hill have played very good defense during this streak for the most part, esp. lately.

mingus
11-20-2010, 12:11 AM
and not to mention TP's defense, which has been outstanding. i'm not sure that there's a PG in the league right now player better defense than Parker, including Rondo.

TwoHandJam
11-20-2010, 12:18 AM
and not to mention TP's defense, which has been outstanding. i'm not sure that there's a PG in the league right now player better defense than Parker, including Rondo.

You make good points. I would also submit that I have been pleasantly surprised with Neal's defense. He is scrappy.

It really sucks that we didn't get to fully see what Anderson could do for us. He was looking good.

TJastal
11-20-2010, 12:18 AM
i knew the offense would be great all along, but what i'm most pleased and surprised with is the defense by RJ and Hill. RJ and Hill have played very good defense during this streak for the most part, esp. lately.

Weren't you just bitching how awful Hill was a few weeks ago?

mingus
11-20-2010, 12:21 AM
Weren't you just bitching how awful Hill was a few weeks ago?

a few weeks ago he sucked pretty hard. he wasn't aggressive on O and his D looked like it hadn't improved, which is why i said that esp. in the latter half of this streak he's been great on d.

ShoogarBear
11-20-2010, 02:11 AM
All this means is that the Spurs at this point seem to have most, if not all, of the complementary pieces necessary to surround the Big Three.

But ultimately, the sun will rise and set on how healthy and rested Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker are for the playoffs. Without all three, the playoffs are hopeless against an intact Laker team.

baseline bum
11-20-2010, 02:22 AM
Wins are nice, but November is hardly an indicator of how good a team is. The Spurs jumped out to a 7-2 start to begin 1999-2000, which turned out to be a disastrous year even before Tim got hurt. In contrast, 1999 was a nightmare start that put both David's and Pop's Spurs careers about a week from ending, and the team turned out to be the greatest in franchise history. I'm cautiously optimistic with Parker's strong play, Jefferson's willingness to shoot when open and cut to the basket, and the defense seeming to return these last couple of games, but the season is long and can change course very quickly even discounting injuries or trades.

baseline bum
11-20-2010, 02:27 AM
With that said, I love seeing the team all about business to begin the season. Perhaps pissed about being written off.

JR3
11-20-2010, 03:11 AM
parker has reminded me of chris paul this season.... he just has very active hands on D. That is awesome.. we need that!

cutewizard
11-20-2010, 04:23 AM
With every win this team notches I get a little more convinced - and I don't usually get excitable, especially in November. However, there is something about this team I can't put my finger on yet that I haven't seen in a Spurs squad in a long time - if ever.

They are definitely scoring the ball easier than any previous Spurs incarnation I've seen and now even a glimpse of what the defense could become is impressive. Nine in a row. Not a fluke - that much is true.

And some potential yet to be realized still with Hill and Blair slow on the uptake (albeit improving) and Splitter underutilized. James Anderson robbed from us early (surgery happen yet?) and we're still dominating. Could be a special team.

Maybe. Like I said I'm not one to get cocky but I've taken notice. I like what I see.

Completely agree with you man!

Go Spurs GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Manu rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Manu for MVP!

Bukefal
11-20-2010, 06:13 AM
It's great and it feels great! I hope they can continue like this :flag:

mattyc
11-20-2010, 06:47 AM
Remarkable start. Really hope we can make the early wins count and rest Manu and TD through the long stretch in the lead up to the playoffs. I think we have a nice mix of veterans, young blood, role players and x-factors.

Keep it up, Spurs.

ceperez
11-20-2010, 07:04 AM
yes. impressive... up in every statistical category since... actually never have been better!

ceperez
11-20-2010, 07:16 AM
i wonder if pop has any plans on throwing away games now that the team is on a hot strak.

11-20-2010, 08:01 AM
don't worry, the spurs will lose to a sub .500 team soon, causing spurstalk to implode and all will be right with the world.

urunobili
11-20-2010, 09:14 AM
I think the ;ast time we won 9 in a row was in 2007?

DieHardSpursFan1537
11-20-2010, 10:47 AM
I think Hill will eventually break out of the slump he is in. I really hope Spurs can pick up James Anderson again because he was already averaging like 7.0 points per game.

dbestpro
11-20-2010, 12:02 PM
TP has taken his game to a new level. His defense has been exceptional. He is much more willing to pass to the open man. The ball movement, coupled with RJs accuracy and aggressivness gives us an inside/outside offense that we have not had even in the DRob or Gervin days. Some say we even are going to get better. If we don't get any worse then that is still pretty good.

Chomag
11-20-2010, 12:23 PM
TP has taken his game to a new level. His defense has been exceptional. He is much more willing to pass to the open man. The ball movement, coupled with RJs accuracy and aggressivness gives us an inside/outside offense that we have not had even in the DRob or Gervin days. Some say we even are going to get better. If we don't get any worse then that is still pretty good.

Tony's biggest improvement from years past looks to be his defence. He has always been a decent one but he seems allot more active at it now. I agree that he is playing at a very high level right now and I'm hoping that sticks. IF he keeps this up it would be a crime to not have him listed on the top 5 pg for this season. Only flaw in his game right now is he does have a tendency to over-dribble, if he can get away from that his Turnovers will come way down.

Agloco
11-20-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised at this point, but I'm going to hold off on blowing a load until after the Orlando game.

Agloco
11-20-2010, 01:48 PM
don't worry, the spurs will lose to a sub .500 team soon, causing spurstalk to implode and all will be right with the world.

And tonight's game would be as good a candidate as any. :lol

TwoHandJam
11-22-2010, 11:19 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised at this point, but I'm going to hold off on blowing a load until after the Orlando game.

You may now shoot your wad.

Best game of the year.

BlairForceDejuan
11-22-2010, 11:21 PM
It was obvious Timmy D turned the switch on for this game. He would not do that for a reg season game in November if he was not very excited about the possibilities this year

SA210
11-22-2010, 11:30 PM
It was obvious Timmy D turned the switch on for this game. He would not do that for a reg season game in November if he was not very excited about the possibilities this year

I did notice some really good hustle from Tim this game. :tu

LoneStarState'sPride
11-22-2010, 11:31 PM
11 game win streak (Matt Berman voice) SAN ANTONIO?!

TwoHandJam
11-22-2010, 11:37 PM
I did notice some really good hustle from Tim this game. :tu

Agreed. That block he had on (Duhon or Jameer?) was the best swat I've seen from him in a while.

SequSpur
11-22-2010, 11:41 PM
yeah me too...I just went back and rehashed some older sequ topics and I didn't see this coming but shit, I am happy...good stuff....

Still not sold on Bonner getting all these minutes though....Would like to see Splitter out there...Bonner is not the answer....

TwoHandJam
11-22-2010, 11:53 PM
Still not sold on Bonner getting all these minutes though....Would like to see Splitter out there...Bonner is not the answer....

Yeah I feel you. Right now I don't mind so much because Splitter played all summer and has never played an 82 game season so maybe this rest is part of the plan. We better see more of him as the season goes on though.

Bonner is fool's gold. Good for the regular season grind but wilts in the playoffs.

Right now I'm more worried about Manu's minutes. 33mpg is too high to sustain. That Anderson injury really sucks. He was playing very well for a rookie.

ShoogarBear
11-23-2010, 12:29 AM
Yeah I feel you. Right now I don't mind so much because Splitter played all summer and has never played an 82 game season so maybe this rest is part of the plan. We better see more of him as the season goes on though.

Bonner is fool's gold. Good for the regular season grind but wilts in the playoffs.

Pop seems to love having at least one head-scratching personnel decision per year (Bogans, Finley, etc.) so maybe Splitter is his for this year.

Right now I'm more worried about Manu's minutes. 33mpg is too high to sustain.
Yep. Against the Magic, it's all good. But he needs to play about only 15-20 minutes against the Twolves.

That Anderson injury really sucks. He was playing very well for a rookie.
Look at it this way: the Spurs have the potential to be much better than they even are now.