PDA

View Full Version : For Duncan, actions speak louder

duncan228
11-20-2010, 03:11 AM
For Duncan, actions speak louder (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/chris_mannix/11/19/spurs.duncan.sets.team.mark/)
Chris Mannix
SI.com

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/lead/lead644.jpg
Tim Duncan picked up two the easy way as the Spurs battled the Jazz Friday night.

Tim Duncan's 20,791st point -- one more than David Robinson and establishing a Spurs NBA franchise record -- wasn't of the highlight reel variety. It wasn't a tomahawk flush or a fast break finish. It didn't bring the crowd to its feet or send his bench into a frenzy. No, Duncan's record-breaking points came Friday against the Utah Jazz on a pair of free throws, a decidedly dull way to break a distinguished mark.

In a way, it was vintage Duncan, a player whose career has always been more about substance than style. His nickname, The Big Fundamental, describes his game with pinpoint accuracy. The majority of Duncan's buckets over the years have come through a blend of spin moves, jump hooks and picture-perfect elbow bank shot that is referred to by coaches to players as "that Tim Duncan bank shot."

"He's very unpredictable in his predictability," said Wizards coach Flip Saunders. "What I mean is that he's very predictable in how he was going to play, but he was never predictable in how he was going to do it. He takes what is there. He never forces anything. Anything. He just lets the game come to him."

As dull as Duncan's style is, few have been able to match his effectiveness. Duncan, you see, has no weaknesses. He scores (21.1 ppg in his career), shoots a high percentage (50.8%), rebounds (11.6 per game) and defends (13 straight selections to an All-Defensive team). And he's at his best when it matters the most: Nearly all of his postseason numbers exceed his stats in the regular season. It's that consistent and complete production that has made Duncan a two-time MVP and a four-time NBA champion, three title runs that ended with Duncan as Finals MVP.

"He never strays away from his game plan," marveled Ray Allen. "He has that Karl Malone/John Stockton mystique about him. He knows his moves and when he goes to him, they are hard to stop."

Indeed, ask coaches about what they like about Duncan and often you are surprised with the answer. Some will talk about his diverse offense and his ability to take over games at either end of the floor. You know, SportsCenter stuff. But others will rave at his attention to detail and his ability to dominate facets of the game that don't jump off a stat sheet.

"Sure, he's a great low post player," said Thunder coach Scott Brooks. "But he's a ball mover, he's a screen setter. He's just an amazing, complete player."

Duncan's status among the all-time great big men is a topic of frequent debate. Is he between Hakeem and Moses? What about Shaq and Bill Walton? But it's irrelevant, really. Duncan's greatness is not in his ability to win individual battles. It's in his ability to elevate a team. San Antonio already had an established superstar in place in David Robinson when they made Duncan the top pick in the 1997 NBA draft. A ballyhooed rookie, Duncan could have made the transition difficult. Instead he (along with a magnanimous Robinson) forged a strong chemistry and powered the team to two championships before Robinson retired in 2003. The two were on the podium together after the Spurs clinched the title in '03 largely behind Duncan's staggering 21 points, 20 rebounds, ten assists and eight blocks. Duncan answered a few questions, rose, slapped Robinson on the back and allowed the longtime face of the franchise to enjoy last great moment of his playing career.

Great player. Better teammate.

As age and injury have robbed him of some of his skills, Duncan has quietly channeled Robinson. He has ceded the spotlight in San Antonio to Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili without the slightest trace of complaint and embraced the role of mentor to up-and-comers like DeJuan Blair and Tiago Splitter. Think that's easy? Ask Allen Iverson.

Soon, the Duncan Era will end. It has been speculated that if a lockout wipes out next season -- the final season of Duncan's contract -- that Duncan, 34, will walk away. If he does, he will go quietly, with little fanfare. The way only Duncan could do it.

BruceBowenFan
11-20-2010, 03:17 AM
Nice read.

crc21209
11-20-2010, 03:19 AM
GREAT read. It's just not going to be the same when #21 is gone...

DesignatedT
11-20-2010, 03:26 AM
Don't even want to think about that. The level he's playing at right now shows he has quite a bit left in the tank also, it would be a real shame if a lockout prevented his final year(s)

Gooshie
11-20-2010, 03:37 AM
Whether he retires or not after this year, I always hoped he would try one last time for the gold medal at the Olympics in 2012. He was unlucky in 2000 when he got hurt and he got screwed in 2004 when all the stars except Iverson stayed home. Finally winning gold would be the ultimate fitting end to his career.

duncan228
11-20-2010, 03:45 AM
Duncan made it pretty clear that he wouldn't play in the Olympics again.

A frustrated Duncan, who said that he is 95% sure his FIBA career is over and that "FIBA sucks," was asked if he felt his frustrations would deter other stars from playing in the Olympics. "I hope not," he said, "I'll try not to share my experience with anyone."

TheSpursFNRule
11-20-2010, 03:50 AM
Am I the only one who could possibly see Duncan playing an extra year or two after his contract is up, especially if the Spurs are still fairly dominant.

Man In Black
11-20-2010, 03:58 AM
I think he could play at least 2 more because he relies on that fundamental base. Just wait till Amare Stoudamire turns 34, will he still be able to jump out the gym? Also, McDyess looks like he's good for 1 more season in this limited minutes role.

Texas_Ranger
11-20-2010, 04:02 AM
I think he could play at least 2 more because he relies on that fundamental base. Just wait till Amare Stoudamire turns 34, will he still be able to jump out the gym? Also, McDyess looks like he's good for 1 more season in this limited minutes role.

Dice said he'll retire after this year.

polandprzem
11-20-2010, 04:08 AM
Duncan made it pretty clear that he wouldn't play in the Olympics again.

somehow that quote always bothered me

SenorSpur
11-20-2010, 04:08 AM
Wonderful read!

100%duncan
11-20-2010, 05:17 AM
Cant Imagine when 21 is not on the court. When TD retires we only see a number 21 jersey
at the rafters... but still... GO SPURS GO!

Mel_13
11-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Great player. Better teammate.

TD described in four words.

Mark in Austin
11-20-2010, 10:59 AM
If there is a lockout that shortens the season next year, it might be a good thing for the Spurs. It would give Parker and Manu more time to recover from NT play, and would mean less regular season wear and tear on Duncan. Hell, it might even convince McDyess to play out his contract.

As long as players stay as focused and in shape as they were this summer, a lockout might play to the Spurs advantage.

Spurs Brazil
11-20-2010, 12:53 PM
7dzMB80-WkU

Jason R
11-20-2010, 12:58 PM
21 points, 20 rebounds, ten assists and eight blocks.

Simply the best.

Baseline
11-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Whether he retires or not after this year, I always hoped he would try one last time for the gold medal at the Olympics in 2012. He was unlucky in 2000 when he got hurt and he got screwed in 2004 when all the stars except Iverson stayed home. Finally winning gold would be the ultimate fitting end to his career.

This will never happen. Tim went to Wake Forest, and Sheshevski is the coach at Duke. I don't see either of these guys wanting to be around each other. My guess is that Sheshevski would make Tim's skin crawl.

Unless you're from North Carolina, as I am, it's difficult to understand the level of hatred for all things Duke.

duncan228
11-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Duncan Appreciation Day (http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/11/20/duncan-appreciation-day/?ls=iref:nbahpt1)
Sekou Smith
NBA.com Hang Time Blog

zcFxF1HdGhE

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS – Getting a glimpse of Tim Duncan‘s first NBA basket reminds you of many of the nearly 8,000 other shots he’s made during his Hall of Fame career.

No flash or anything extra, just a man doing his workmanlike best to get the job done. It’s a shame we need to be dazzled to take notice of greatness.

It pains us that we only step back and appreciate Duncan’s exploits when he passes a milestone the way he did Friday night in Utah, becoming the leading scorer in Spurs’ NBA history with 20,810 points — to old school hoops heads Duncan is still 2,792 points behind “The Iceman,” George Gervin, who dropped 23,602 points during his Hall of Fame career that three seasons with the ABA Spurs.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich summed it up best:

“There’s no flash, no beating the chest. Just go up and down the court, go home and get a sandwich.”

Duncan’s big night was celebrated appropriately, they won in Utah for the first time since April 2009 and improved to 10-1 for the first time … which was perhaps the most surprising development of the night.

And history will be much kinder than we are to one of the game’s truly all-time great talents. Whatever Duncan lacks in sizzle he makes up tenfold in substance.

When you pass up the likes of Gervin and David Robinson on the career list for anything, you know you’re in elite company. And that’s why we’re going to spend the 24 hours after Duncan’s fabulous Friday night celebrating him the way he should be celebrated. Why wait until he’s done to show him the proper respect he deserves?

So we’re officially declaring this Duncan Appreciation Day here at the hideout (we make up our own holidays around here), a day when we sit back and enjoy a guy while he’s still getting it done.

5JswcqdFYqs

ajh18
11-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Duncan's status among the all-time great big men is a topic of frequent debate. Is he between Hakeem and Moses? What about Shaq and Bill Walton? But it's irrelevant, really. Duncan's greatness is not in his ability to win individual battles. It's in his ability to elevate a team.

To me, this quote represents exactly WHY Tim Duncan doesn't get the respect as an all-time great that he deserves.

Even on an individual basis, if I'm starting a franchise and can have any of the players listed above to draft as a rookie, I take Tim Duncan. And it's not even close.

And it's that ability to elevate a team that MAKES him one of the top individual players of all time. This article, unfortunately, seems to seperate the two. As if an individual's "ranking" isn't determined by that factor, when in actuality, making your teammates better is probably the single MOST important factor in determining all-time greatness.

duncan228
11-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Tim Duncan is the All-Time Spur’s Points Leader (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/20/tim-duncan-is-the-all-time-spurs-points-leader/)
Matt Moore

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/lead/lead647.jpg

There’s little doubt to anyone who the greatest San Antonio Spur of all time is. Most championships, most Finals appearances, most MVPs, most Finals MVPs, the list goes on an on. And now Tim Duncan can add two more franchise records to his list, most games played and most points scored as a Spur. Duncan eclipsed David Robinson on both counts Friday night in the Spurs’ 94-82 (http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/nba/recap.asp?g=2010111926&home=26&vis=24&final=true) win Friday night over the Jazz.

Duncan, in typical understated Duncan fashion, took the record at the free throw line, knocking down a pair of freebies quietly to take the title.

It’s another in a career beset with milestones on his way eventually to the Hall of Fame, and his consistency is at one something to marvel at and admire. He hasn’t jumped teams, hasn’t sought out nicer locales to play with buddies (in spite of a brief flirting with Orlando a few years back). He’s been a Spur his entire career, and given that he’s made it pretty clear he has no intention of hanging on once time robs him of his skills, it’s very likely he’ll retire a Spur. He’ll go out with a huge lead in games, points, possibly field goals, offensive rebounds, defensive rebounds, blocks, and points.

That’s how you define yourself as a team’s icon. Enjoy Duncan while he’s here; he truly is a once-in-a-lifetime talent.

Cessation
11-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Timmeh is incredible, best player since jordan.