PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans about to get rid of Peja and Bayless

Iceman101
11-20-2010, 10:07 AM
The New Orleans Hornets (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=nor) and Toronto Raptors (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=tor) are in serious discussions on a five-player trade that would send Peja Stojakovic (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=813) and Jerryd Bayless (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3417) to the Raptors for Jarrett Jack (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2768), David Andersen (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=4205) and Marcus Banks (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2165), a source told ESPN.com Saturday

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5828835

Darkwaters
11-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Jerryd Bayless is the NBA's new pinball it seems.

Shank
11-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Ahahahaha...what?

fevertrees
11-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Why isn't Chris "I don't show up in the 4th now" Paul lumped in the trade????

MmP
11-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Peja used to be so good...I liked his touch

Cry Havoc
11-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Jack is a very decent player. Good move for NOH if it happens.

Darthkiller
11-20-2010, 11:30 AM
report says the apparently Jack is BFF with CP3

Giuseppe
11-20-2010, 11:43 AM

Then the Lakers broke his ass, turned him out, now he loiters the Wells Fargo, check cashin'.

The fuck. Standin' up to us like that. Who the fuck did he think he was.

Jose Canseco
11-20-2010, 12:00 PM
report says the apparently Jack is BFF with CP3

That's fine and all but Jarrett Jack is a point guard and point guard only. He's not that great of a combo guard/2-guard. Would the move be more to appease Paul or more to have a replacement if CP3 leaves? Jack is solid and has the talent to be a top 15 PG in the league. Not sure it's a move that helps keep Chris Paul even if he is close to Jack since he plays the same position.

Muser
11-20-2010, 12:02 PM
I thought the Hornets liked Bayless?

j.dizzle
11-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Sasha Vujacic & Luke Walton for Jack sounds a lot better though hahaha. Jack is actually a hardworker & might be a good fit to handle the ball for their 2nd unit.

Fpoonsie
11-20-2010, 12:10 PM

fag!!!

crc21209
11-20-2010, 12:17 PM
I dunno what to think of this move. Peja was finally starting to play semi-well for the Hornets and now they're gonna trade his ass. :lol And realistically the only thing the Hornets are getting back is Jack...with Anderson and Banks as throw ins.

21_Blessings
11-20-2010, 12:18 PM
That's fine and all but Jarrett Jack is a point guard and point guard only. He's not that great of a combo guard/2-guard. Would the move be more to appease Paul or more to have a replacement if CP3 leaves? Jack is solid and has the talent to be a top 15 PG in the league. Not sure it's a move that helps keep Chris Paul even if he is close to Jack since he plays the same position.

They need a backup point more than a young, dumb combo guard. Belinelli is a fantastic fit and Thornton could use some more minutes. Ariza is also capable of playing the 2 in a pinch. Not to mention Willie Green being serviceable.

Mark in Austin
11-20-2010, 12:18 PM
this move would get NO under the lux tax threshold.

z0sa
11-20-2010, 12:19 PM
:lol It's funny watching 21_blessing suck those Hornet cocks just so he doesn't have to give the Spurs any props (obviously not limited to just this thread)..

21_Blessings
11-20-2010, 12:21 PM
:pop: I'm just telling the truth?

Sorry I'm not taking the Spurs seriously with that hilarious defense.

z0sa
11-20-2010, 12:22 PM
You were sure talking about the Hornets in the off-season.

21_Blessings
11-20-2010, 12:31 PM
You were sure talking about the Hornets in the off-season.

What's your point?

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-20-2010, 12:38 PM
So essentially they traded a first round pick (from the Bayless trade) for Jarrett Jack?

z0sa
11-20-2010, 12:41 PM
What's your point?

I think I've made my point.

21_Blessings
11-20-2010, 12:44 PM
I think I've made my point.

And the Hornets made their point. (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201010300SAS.html)

z0sa
11-20-2010, 12:48 PM
And the Hornets made their point. (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201010300SAS.html)

True enough. Game 2 of 82 usually doesn't mean a whole shitload though.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-20-2010, 12:49 PM

As did the Nuggets and Suns.

21_Blessings
11-20-2010, 12:52 PM
True enough. Game 2 of 82 usually doesn't mean a whole shitload though.

You're right.

That doesn't change the fact that the Hornets have the superior defense and a much more dominant superstar. They also matchup better with the Lakers.

Pelicans78
11-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Jack would give the team a good backup PG. Bayless hasn't got it done so far. That would be an upgrade. Don't think Banks and Andersen would do much, but I said the same thing about Green and Jason Smith as well.

Cry Havoc
11-20-2010, 02:20 PM
:pop: I'm just telling the truth?

Sorry I'm not taking the Spurs seriously with that hilarious defense.

Spurs - 98.7 OPP PPG

Lakers - 102.2 OPP PPG

:lmao

Phoenix against Spurs - 110 points, Spurs win
Phoenix against Lakers - 121 points, Suns win

103 points to the D-League Raptors

107 points to the Bucks

TheMACHINE
11-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Sweet...hopefully jose calderon starts and gives me another legit pg for my fantasy league. Haha

crc21209
11-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Spurs - 98.7 OPP PPG

Lakers - 102.2 OPP PPG

107 points to the Bucks

Owned.

lil_penny
11-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Good trade for NO

21_Blessings
11-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Owned.

:lmao @ bringing up the defending back to back NBA champions and the top playoff defense last season when they have absolutely nothing to prove

BRHornet45
11-20-2010, 02:55 PM
sons as much as I have bashed Peja's game in the past, I'm going to miss that pimp. I met him several times and he is a cool cat. It just sucks his game fell off so badly. However he has been showing some signs of the old Peja in the last few games ...

sons I know next to nothing about these 3 players from Toronto. anything decent ?

fevertrees
11-20-2010, 02:57 PM
"That Hornets trade was brilliant. Saved them serious cash ($11m including tax) + Jack will really help them as a 3rd guard. Kudos to Demps." -Bill Simmons

BRHornet45
11-20-2010, 03:00 PM
sons I bet Rocky Belinelli will like this trade as well.

BRHornet45
11-20-2010, 03:03 PM
I dunno what to think of this move. Peja was finally starting to play semi-well for the Hornets and now they're gonna trade his ass. :lol And realistically the only thing the Hornets are getting back is Jack...with Anderson and Banks as throw ins.

son trust me its foolish to believe that Peja is all of a sudden going to start dropping 15-20ppg again. He played well against Dallas, but that's about it. That has been his game over the last 3 years (when healthy). He will play well for 2 games, then suck for 7 games, play well another game, etc. This trade was going to happen regardless because its Peja's final year in his contract. Better for the Hornets to get something out of it instead of just letting him finish out the contract.

Pelicans78
11-20-2010, 03:05 PM
sons as much as I have bashed Peja's game in the past, I'm going to miss that pimp. I met him several times and he is a cool cat. It just sucks his game fell off so badly. However he has been showing some signs of the old Peja in the last few games ...

sons I know next to nothing about these 3 players from Toronto. anything decent ?

I agree BR. Feel bad for Peja. Good guy. Sucks to get banished to Toronto even though it was expected. Hit some big threes for us in 2007-2008. Great year for him.

Jose Canseco
11-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Spurs fan giving OPP PPG as the only evidence for defense?

It can certainly be part of it, but tempo often dictates the amount of points scored by both teams. What are the OPP FG% and OPP 3PT% of each? What are the team defensive ratings for each?

You can't just look at OPP PPG. I'm just saying.

Spurs - 98.7 OPP PPG

Lakers - 102.2 OPP PPG

107 points to the Bucks

lil_penny
11-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Br you will like jacks game. Hes great at getting to the hoop

BRHornet45
11-20-2010, 03:08 PM
I agree BR. Feel bad for Peja. Good guy. Sucks to get banished to Toronto even though it was expected. Hit some big threes for us in 2007-2008. Great year for him.

sons Toronto has turned into the N.O. Hornets junk yard ... LOL at them giving us the Italian Shooting Sensation Belinelli for that piece of crap Julian Wright ... and now this

Pelicans78
11-20-2010, 03:09 PM
sons Toronto has turned into the N.O. Hornets junk yard ... LOL at them giving us the Italian Shooting Sensation Belinelli for that piece of crap Julian Wright ... and now this

Honestly Belinelli may turn out to be the best SG in Hornets history. That trade was a steal. He's a perfect fit next to CP3.

fevertrees
11-20-2010, 03:10 PM
I remember playing NBA2k10 last year with the Hornets and Jack lit us up with 20+ points!

fevertrees
11-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Honestly Belinelli may turn out to be the best SG in Hornets history. That trade was a steal. He's a perfect fit next to CP3.

Demps pulled a Gasol with that trade :lobt2:

BRHornet45
11-20-2010, 03:14 PM

Belinelli is outstanding ... all 5 Hornets starters are averaging double figures.

BRHornet45
11-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Demps pulled a Gasol with that trade :lobt2:

cosigned

fevertrees
11-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Belinelli is outstanding ... all 5 Hornets starters are averaging double figures.

Paul is a great King and spreads the wealth :king

Mel_13
11-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Spurs fan giving OPP PPG as the only evidence for defense?

It can certainly be part of it, but tempo often dictates the amount of points scored by both teams. What are the OPP FG% and OPP 3PT% of each? What are the team defensive ratings for each?

Defensive rating is an estimate of points allowed per 100 possessions and, therefore, accounts for pace.

Current Defensive Rating:

Spurs: 102.5 (6th in NBA)

Lakers: 106.5 (12th in NBA)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2011.html

11-20-2010, 03:43 PM
um, this trade wouldn't improve the hornets that much if at all. jack is a good back up but the hornets are willing to trade a huge expiring and a pretty decent young player for a good back up point guard? hornets are on a streak right now and messing up the team won't be good unless they get someone noticeably good in return.

Mel_13
11-20-2010, 03:47 PM
um, this trade wouldn't improve the hornets that much if at all. jack is a good back up but the hornets are willing to trade a huge expiring and a pretty decent young player for a good back up point guard? hornets are on a streak right now and messing up the team won't be good unless they get someone noticeably good in return.

11 million dollars in cost savings.

BRHornet45
11-20-2010, 03:48 PM

son have you even watched the Hornets games? you do realize that Peja has only played in 6 games and averaging only 14mpg (usually garbage minutes as well) ... The Hornets were going to trade Peja this season no matter what and any other team would do the same. He is in his contract year and it would be foolish to just let him finish out the season and not get anything in return for it. This has been 2 or 3 years in the making lol ...

As far as Bayless goes, he is no loss either. He has done a DECENT job at best when coming in, but Green and Thornton are better guards. Jack also appears to be a better backup option plus he is good friends with the King.

11-20-2010, 03:53 PM
son have you even watched the Hornets games? you do realize that Peja has only played in 6 games and averaging only 14mpg (usually garbage minutes as well) ... The Hornets were going to trade Peja this season no matter what and any other team would do the same. He is in his contract year and it would be foolish to just let him finish out the season and not get anything in return for it. This has been 2 or 3 years in the making lol ...

As far as Bayless goes, he is no loss either. He has done a DECENT job at best when coming in, but Green and Thornton are better guards. Jack also appears to be a better backup option plus he is good friends with the King.
hornets can get more than jarret jack for peja and bayless. they just need to wait a bit longer. there's no rush.

Pelicans78
11-20-2010, 03:55 PM
hornets can get more than jarret jack for peja and bayless. they just need to wait a bit longer. there's no rush.

Maybe not. The market is not great for expiring contracts since there are so many available.

Jack will clearly make the team better as a backup PG compared to Bayless. Bayless wasn't getting the job done. Jack will be a good addition to the 2nd unit.

DPG21920
11-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Wow, so instead of using Peja to net a player to propel the team forward basketball wise, they dump him to save money?

Way to win, NO.

DPG21920
11-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Also, how does this trade work cap wise?

If Bayless has to be traded by himself, I don't see how these 5 players work.

Peja for Jack/Banks & Andersonfor Bayless?

BRHornet45
11-20-2010, 04:06 PM
Wow, so instead of using Peja to net a player to propel the team forward basketball wise, they dump him to save money?

Way to win, NO.

son that is perhaps the most ignorant post I have read on this message board in recent memory ... you can't be serious?

son you do realize that regardless of who Peja is traded for that it would save money right? Peja is making nearly $16M in the final year of his contract this season and UNLESS some fluke trade happened like Peja for another bad contract Rashard Lewis, then like I said it would save money regardless. Demps has made excellent decisions so far as the GM and I trust his decision here as well. Who exactly do you expect this "player to propel the team forward" to be? What teams really wants to give away a player like that for ... Peja??? ....

Also in case you haven't noticed the Hornets are pretty stacked and are arguably the best defensive team in the NBA. We acquired 3 decent players in return for Peja and Bayless ... one of which is a better backup point guard option and close friends with Paul. But seriously though ... who in the hell did you expect the Hornets to be able to get with Peja? lol I want to know. I think that if Demps could have gone out and got someone like a Ron Artest for Peja than he would have. but son please remember this is real life, not NBA2K where you can force trades. Its Peja for Gods sake.

DPG21920
11-20-2010, 04:12 PM
son that is perhaps the most ignorant post I have read on this message board in recent memory ... you can't be serious?

son you do realize that regardless of who Peja is traded for that it would save money right? Peja is making nearly $16M in the final year of his contract this season and UNLESS some fluke trade happened like Peja for another bad contract Rashard Lewis, then like I said it would save money regardless. Demps has made excellent decisions so far as the GM and I trust his decision here as well. Who exactly do you expect this "player to propel the team forward" to be? What teams really wants to give away a player like that for ... Peja??? ....

Sons, if anyone is ignorant, its you. LMAO at thinking Paul is content now. Plenty of teams would likely give a player up that could make an impact for Peja's contract to save them money.

Also in case you haven't noticed the Hornets are pretty stacked and are arguably the best defensive team in the NBA. We acquired 3 decent players in return for Peja and Bayless ... one of which is a better backup point guard option and close friends with Paul. But seriously though ... who in the hell did you expect the Hornets to be able to get with Peja? lol I want to know. I think that if Demps could have gone out and got someone like a Ron Artest for Peja than he would have. but son please remember this is real life, not NBA2K where you can force trades. Its Peja for Gods sake.

Peja's value has nothing to do with his play and everything to do with his expiring contract. Sure, I think that the hype of expiring contracts is over stated, but if they were patient, I'm sure they could have gotten someone (Iggy or any other player in a similar situation).

Mel_13
11-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Also, how does this trade work cap wise?

If Bayless has to be traded by himself, I don't see how these 5 players work.

Peja for Jack/Banks & Andersonfor Bayless?

Peja for the 3 players from Toronto. (14.2M going out, 12M coming in works under the 125% plus 100K rule)

Bayless for a portion of the Chris Bosh trade exception.

DPG21920
11-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Also, Hornets are over the cap and so is toronto, salaries have to match if I am not mistaken in this trade.

DPG21920
11-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Peja for the 3 players from Toronto. (14.2M going out, 12M coming in works under the 125% plus 100K rule)

Bayless for a portion of the Chris Bosh trade exception.

Ahhh, makes sense.

Pelicans78
11-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Sons, if anyone is ignorant, its you. LMAO at thinking Paul is content now. Plenty of teams would likely give a player up that could make an impact for Peja's contract to save them money.

Peja's value has nothing to do with his play and everything to do with his expiring contract. Sure, I think that the hype of expiring contracts is over stated, but if they were patient, I'm sure they could have gotten someone (Iggy or any other player in a similar situation).

I see your point, but I think Jack will make a big impact off the bench. He will help the 2nd unit and allow CP3 to get even more rest. He's simply a better PG than Bayless who was clearly the weak link on the 2nd unit.

Also, I wouldn't want a guy like Iggy. He wouldn't help the team that much to be honest. His contract sucks too.

Not many options available for Peja's expiring unless the team wanted to take on a bad contract for a solid player.

BRHornet45
11-20-2010, 04:19 PM

son yet another ignorant statement from you. where did I ever say that Paul is content now because of this? LOL at you making shit up because you don't have a leg to stand on. regardless this is not about Paul. I don't know, you don't know. just like neither of us knows what Spurs player's wife Tony Parker will sleep with next.

son well I'm glad you know what you are talking about. Maybe you could call Demps and other NBA GM's and let them know about this. You are one hell of a couch GM. so son please tell Demps that he should have waited a little longer and traded Peja for someone like Kevin Love or David Lee to help those teams save money.

DPG21920
11-20-2010, 04:21 PM
I agree, Jack is nice, but when you have Paul a back up is not that crucial (Bayless is fine). If you could have netted a front court player (which NO needs) with Peja's expiring (who knows who shakes loose..Kaman, Brand...) that would have gone a long way.

I was just using Iggy as an example. I know it's not my money and I understand NO is still very solid, I'm just saying I am surprised given Paul's demands to make the team better that they didn't use this contract to net something better basketball wise.

It is not a bad move at all overall, but again, I thought they would be bringing in an impact player (front court).

DPG21920
11-20-2010, 04:22 PM
son yet another ignorant statement from you. where did I ever say that Paul is content now because of this? LOL at you making shit up because you don't have a leg to stand on. regardless this is not about Paul. I don't know, you don't know. just like neither of us knows what Spurs player's wife Tony Parker will sleep with next.

son well I'm glad you know what you are talking about. Maybe you could call Demps and other NBA GM's and let them know about this. You are one hell of a couch GM. so son please tell Demps that he should have waited a little longer and traded Peja for someone like Kevin Love or David Lee to help those teams save money.

Wow, you are one silly girl.

BRHornet45
11-20-2010, 04:23 PM
It is not a bad move at all overall, but again, I thought they would be bringing in an impact player (front court).

son enough of the bickering just answer my question please ... who in the hell do you think the Hornets could have got for Peja? what team would give up an "impact" player as you call it ... for Peja??? plz I need names since you are in the know.

BRHornet45
11-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Wow, you are one silly girl.

son I just hope Tony stays away from Richard's boyfriend ... now that would get ugly.

DPG21920
11-20-2010, 04:24 PM
The fact you keep using "Peja" as your sticking point, means you don't understand the concept being discussed.

How did Dampier.........Dampier??? bring in someone of value (Chandler)?

DPG21920
11-20-2010, 04:25 PM
son I just hope Tony stays away from Richard's boyfriend ... now that would get ugly.

Maybe TP can throw some trim Pauls way so he isn't such a lonely flopping cuckold.

I just hope NY stays away from CP3........Things will get really ugly in NO without Paul.

BRHornet45
11-20-2010, 04:29 PM
The fact you keep using "Peja" as your sticking point, means you don't understand the concept being discussed.

How did Dampier.........Dampier??? bring in someone of value (Chandler)?

lol but son that's the kicker, you're already dismissing all 3 of the players from Toronto as pure scrubs. You have no idea what their value will be to the Hornets, yet you're just assuming they are all scrubs and of no value. how do you know that? no they're not standout players, but Monty is pushing defense and they may fit in perfectly. They upgraded the backup point guard spot with this trade and who knows how the other two players will turn out.

Cry Havoc
11-20-2010, 04:29 PM

How about giving up 103 points to the Raptors? :lmao

BRHornet45
11-20-2010, 04:30 PM

how about getting curb stomped in San Antonio by the Hornets?

Cry Havoc
11-20-2010, 04:46 PM

http://www.nba.com/media/allstar2006/nowitzki_300_060125.jpg

This guy beat you. :lol

BRHornet45
11-20-2010, 04:52 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/allstar2006/nowitzki_300_060125.jpg

This guy beat you. :lol

son actually Jason Kidd and his hailmary/fluke 3's beat us that game lol ... regardless its still a humiliating loss. I'll take that Denver playoff loss 10 times over a loss to the choking vagina's in blue any day. At least we got revenge two nights later though.

Giuseppe
11-20-2010, 05:09 PM

Hammer that Spurs ass, BR. Make it bleed!!!!!!!!

Pelicans78
11-20-2010, 05:45 PM
I agree, Jack is nice, but when you have Paul a back up is not that crucial (Bayless is fine). If you could have netted a front court player (which NO needs) with Peja's expiring (who knows who shakes loose..Kaman, Brand...) that would have gone a long way.

I was just using Iggy as an example. I know it's not my money and I understand NO is still very solid, I'm just saying I am surprised given Paul's demands to make the team better that they didn't use this contract to net something better basketball wise.

I wish Bayless was good enough, but he wasn't. Turnovers, missed shots, etc. He was hurting the team.

Backup PG is important because it gives CP3 alot of rest and allows him to be fresh in the 4th quarter and later in the year. Bayless was getting alot of minutes because the 2nd unit as a whole was playing well, but he was the weak link and he had to get replaced. Jack will make the 2nd unit even better.

Also, Demps is done yet. He's working on more moves right now. Expect to see Banks and Thornton moved as well to acquire a big man. It will be interesting.

LkrFan
11-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Let's see, Kwame's expiring $9M KT got us Gasol. Peja's expiring $14.2M KT netted the Hornets Jarret Jack as the centerpiece of their trade. Jack is nice, I'll admit, but how is this deal going to push them over the top? What does this do to get them past the Lakers? :lmao

BRHornet45
11-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Let's see, Kwame's expiring $9M KT got us Gasol. Peja's expiring $14.2M KT netted the Hornets Jarret Jack as the centerpiece of their trade. :lmao

son we all know Stern made that trade happen .... he also helped us this season when Toronto gave us Belinelli for Julian fucking Wright lolz

21_Blessings
11-20-2010, 05:50 PM

How about Duncan letting Amare mount his ass this past May?

DJ Mbenga
11-20-2010, 06:02 PM
dont like the move. sure jack is good but thats it. i think they could have enticed the pistons to give them either prince or hamilton

Jose Canseco
11-20-2010, 06:21 PM

Apparently the Raptors are capable.

The Orlando Magic are ranked #1 in the league in OPP PPG and defensive rating, and the Raptors hung 110 points on 50% shooting on them.

ohmwrecker
11-20-2010, 06:26 PM

Spurs gave you that game. Gift wrapped by Popovich. You owe the Spurs some gratitude for setting your table.

BRHornet45
11-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Spurs gave you that game. Gift wrapped by Popovich. You owe the Spurs some gratitude for setting your table.

lmao son weak!

ohmwrecker
11-20-2010, 06:44 PM
lmao son weak!

I guess it's not weak when you get beat by the Mavs. You know good and well that you didn't get the Spurs best shot 2nd game of the season with Tim and Tony sitting on the bench in crunch time. Gift wrapped, son.

Giuseppe
11-20-2010, 06:56 PM
lmao son weak!

Shoulder-to-Shoulder, BR!!!!!!!!!!

mystargtr34
11-20-2010, 07:05 PM
I like Jarret Jack... in terms of backup point guards he's probly one of the best. But to be honest, i thought the Hornets could/would have made a bigger impact with a $15M expiring... especially with the uncertainty with the new CBA and lockout threat.

Still.. the Hornets did get better.

duncan228
11-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Hornets-Raptors trade official, as weird as we thought (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/20/hornets-raptors-trade-official-as-weird-as-we-thought/)
Matt Moore

Well it’s done (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/20/report-hornets-and-raptors-close-to-peja-trade/), as every major outlet has confirmed the deal is done. The Toronto Raptors will send Jarrett Jack, Marcus Banks, and David Andersen to the Hornets for Peja Stojakovic and Jerryd Bayless from the Hornets.

For some reason which is just escaping me at the moment, everyone’s saying the Hornets “won” this trade. For starters, looking at trades in terms of winners and losers is a bit ridiculous, since every move is made within the context of a bigger plan. Secondly, the Hornets have in essence traded a first round pick, the highly valuable expiring contract of Peja Stojakovic, and two available roster spots plus cash for Jarrett Jack. Jack, who has been a fundamental part of the worst defensive team in the NBA and who is paid $15 million over the next three years as a 20-minutes per game backup.

Yeah, that sounds like they got good value.

Not that the Raptors made out like bandits in this either. Even with Peja’s expiring, they now have such huge tradeable assets (Peja’s expiring, the trade exception from Chris Bosh), that they’ll have a hard time getting good value on them. Bayless is a tremendous potential player, but hasn’t been that guy yet. It’s going to take a lot of work to get him where he needs to go, and Jay Triano hasn’t really shown that ability.

What’s the big win here? That the Hornets get a guy who “fits” and who CP3 likes? Couldn’t they have gotten a little more with a huge expiring contract in a CBA downturn year and a talented two-guard with lightning fast speed? Apparently not, but everything else has worked out for New Orleans so far so why start doubting this regime now?

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/20/hornets-raptors-trade-official-as-weird-as-we-thought/

Cry Havoc
11-20-2010, 07:26 PM
Shoulder-to-Shoulder, BR!!!!!!!!!!

Los Angeles Hornets fan in the house.

z0sa
11-20-2010, 08:04 PM
o & forever fan in the house.

fify

TD 21
11-20-2010, 08:14 PM
Jack is a solid third guard. This acquisition coupled with Belinelli's play and the fact that Green plays period makes it obvious that Thornton isn't in the plans going forward. I wouldn't be surprised if he's shipped out by the deadline, either for a true backup three or a third big (Thompson?).

Andersen is a duplicate of Smith. Which means he's an upgrade over Mbenga/Mensah-Bonsu and the Hornets still need a better backup big.

Banks is merely an expiring contract.

The Hornets still aren't good enough to beat the Lakers or Spurs in a series, but they've nudged themselves a bit closer.

As for the Raptors, Stojakovic gives them a valuable asset in the form of a huge expiring contract (and fits with their goal of breaking the record for most Europeans on a team) and Bayless is worth a shot. He's not a point, but he can get his own shot and he's explosive, two things they lack in their back court.

This should free up more minutes for Weems. Once Barbosa returns, he'll take more of Jack's minutes, which leaves Weems to take more of Barbosa's minutes (think about it; it makes sense). Moving Andersen frees up a rotation spot for Davis, who should be ready to go fairly soon.

Nothing changes. They were going to be in the running for the league's worst record before this move and they will be after it.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Gotta suck to be traded from one of the best teams in the league to one of the worst :lol

Like Courtney Lee going from the NBA Finals to one of the worst teams in NBA history

BlairForceDejuan
11-20-2010, 10:15 PM
LOL @ The Spurs having ownage on the bench and just now starting to unleash him

Hornets finally get rid of Peja as Spurs have barely even begun to play Tiago.

Killakobe81
11-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Jack is a solid third guard. This acquisition coupled with Belinelli's play and the fact that Green plays period makes it obvious that Thornton isn't in the plans going forward. I wouldn't be surprised if he's shipped out by the deadline, either for a true backup three or a third big (Thompson?).

Andersen is a duplicate of Smith. Which means he's an upgrade over Mbenga/Mensah-Bonsu and the Hornets still need a better backup big.

Banks is merely an expiring contract.

The Hornets still aren't good enough to beat the Lakers or Spurs in a series, but they've nudged themselves a bit closer.

As for the Raptors, Stojakovic gives them a valuable asset in the form of a huge expiring contract (and fits with their goal of breaking the record for most Europeans on a team) and Bayless is worth a shot. He's not a point, but he can get his own shot and he's explosive, two things they lack in their back court.

This should free up more minutes for Weems. Once Barbosa returns, he'll take more of Jack's minutes, which leaves Weems to take more of Barbosa's minutes (think about it; it makes sense). Moving Andersen frees up a rotation spot for Davis, who should be ready to go fairly soon.

Nothing changes. They were going to be in the running for the league's worst record before this move and they will be after it.

I agree with most of this. But funny how Spur fans have already placed themselves ABOVE Hornets even though they have the better record and a road win vs the Spurs. Don't get me wrong I do feel teh Spurs are better, but going from a sweep at the hand of the Suns ...to now Co-Western favorites.

But I like the confidence. Spur fans are now slumming in the forum again. We missed ya ...:toast

BRHornet45
11-20-2010, 10:55 PM
I agree with most of this. But funny how Spur fans have already placed themselves ABOVE Hornets even though they have the better record and a road win vs the Spurs. Don't get me wrong I do feel teh Spurs are better, but going from a sweep at the hand of the Suns ...to now Co-Western favorites.

But I like the confidence. Spur fans are now slumming in the forum again. We missed ya ...:toast

son that 9pt beat down we gave them is considered a fluke in their eyes because it was early in the season. I can't wait for the Hornets to beat the Spurs ass again whenever they come to the Hive ... what will the excuse be then? (but..but...but 4 rings!!!) ... I think its pretty clear as of right now who the best teams in the NBA are ...

1. Hornets
2. Lakers
3. Spurs

Lakers2009champs
11-20-2010, 11:37 PM
The Hornets just gave up a big expiring contract for 2 small expiring contracts. The real trade was Bayless for Jack.

Killakobe81
11-20-2010, 11:50 PM
son that 9pt beat down we gave them is considered a fluke in their eyes because it was early in the season. I can't wait for the Hornets to beat the Spurs ass again whenever they come to the Hive ... what will the excuse be then? (but..but...but 4 rings!!!) ... I think its pretty clear as of right now who the best teams in the NBA are ...

1. Hornets
2. Lakers
3. Spurs

I dont even mind if you or Spur fans say

1. Hornets
2. Spurs
3. Lakers

But they are assuming it's only the Lakers and Spurs as title contenders in the West, based on their start to the season, even though the Hornets start has been EVEN better than the spurs ...

dbestpro
11-20-2010, 11:54 PM

1. Hornets
2. Lakers
3. Spurs

But it was the refs, whaaa!! whaaa!!!
I know you understand that excuse.

BRHornet45
11-20-2010, 11:54 PM
I dont even mind if you or Spur fans say

1. Hornets
2. Spurs
3. Lakers

But they are assuming it's only the Lakers and Spurs as title contenders in the West, based on their start to the season, even though the Hornets start has been EVEN better than the spurs ...

son I agree, but that is expected out of Spurs fans. The Spurs have only played two good teams so far this season (N.O. and Utah) and they went 1-1. Yes the Spurs are a damn good team, but I think right now both New Orleans and Los Angeles are hands down the two best teams in the NBA.

BRHornet45
11-20-2010, 11:56 PM
But it was the refs, whaaa!! whaaa!!!
I know you understand that excuse.

nah son actually it was King Paul breaking Hill's ankles with two crossovers to clinch the win .... (go ahead and just fast forward to the 1:50 mark)
DoO699grLEE

Pelicans78
11-21-2010, 12:01 AM
I guess it's not weak when you get beat by the Mavs. You know good and well that you didn't get the Spurs best shot 2nd game of the season with Tim and Tony sitting on the bench in crunch time. Gift wrapped, son.

This is such a terrible post, I feel dirty for even responding to it.

Hornets came in on the second night of a b2b and still controlled that game. They built an 18 point lead with Parker and Duncan playing. Parker was getting abused by CP3 and Duncan had an off night. Luckily Jefferson hit a few threes to bring them back, but the Hornets still won with Paul playing only 30 minutes and West missing most of the 4th and finished with just 26 minutes. Basically, the Hornets were the better team that night.

Spurs aren't on the Lakers level so Spurfans shouldn't even pretend that they are or they're any better than the Hornets. Hornets are only going to get better with 9-10 new players on the squad with a new coaching staff while the Spurs will have their annual runs of injuries from their older players. They were so decimated last season they finished as a 7th seed. Lets not act this group is a whole lot different from last season. Despite getting swept by the Suns, they pretty much kept the same team.

Killakobe81
11-21-2010, 12:04 AM
This is such a terrible post, I feel dirty for even responding to it.

Hornets came in on the second night of a b2b and still controlled that game. They built an 18 point lead with Parker and Duncan playing. Parker was getting abused by CP3 and Duncan had an off night. Luckily Jefferson hit a few threes to bring them back, but the Hornets still won with Paul playing only 30 minutes and West missing most of the 4th and finished with just 26 minutes. Basically, the Hornets were the better team that night.

Spurs aren't on the Lakers level so Spurfans shouldn't even pretend that they are or they're any better than the Hornets. Hornets are only going to get better with 9-10 new players on the squad with a new coaching staff while the Spurs will have their annual runs of injuries from their older players. They were so decimated last season they finished as a 7th seed. Lets not act this group is a whole lot different from last season. Despite getting swept by the Suns, they pretty much kept the same team.

Most impressive part.And now that the HEat look suspect ...Biggest win for Hornets so far ...

Pelicans78
11-21-2010, 12:08 AM
Most impressive part.And now that the HEat look suspect ...Biggest win for Hornets so far ...

No doubt, the Spur victory was the most impressive. The Heat are too suspect to even be considered a contender. Right now, they're just another playoff team in the East. Maybe they'll catch fire, but its Boston's conference to lose.

Anyone who's not predicting a Lakers-Celtics final are just hoping for something different instead of being honest with themselves.

BRHornet45
11-21-2010, 12:12 AM
lol the Spurs had 2 full days of rest and the Hornets went into the Spurs house less than 20 hours after beating the Nuggets and still easily got past them. but hey according to Spurs fans it "didn't count" because it was early in the season ... I can't wait until the Spurs come down to NOLA.

lefty
11-21-2010, 03:37 AM
I like Jarret Jack... in terms of backup point guards he's probly one of the best. But to be honest, i thought the Hornets could/would have made a bigger impact with a $15M expiring... especially with the uncertainty with the new CBA and lockout threat.

Still.. the Hornets did get better.
I agree

JJ is also a good defensive player; Calderon is horrible on the defensive end

Super backup for CP3; Bayless is a good player, but he is a freaking ballhog.

Raptors haven't noticed that Peja and Hedo are the same guy

Gutter92
11-21-2010, 03:47 AM
lol the Spurs had 2 full days of rest and the Hornets went into the Spurs house less than 20 hours after beating the Nuggets and still easily got past them. but hey according to Spurs fans it "didn't count" because it was early in the season ... I can't wait until the Spurs come down to NOLA.

TD 21
11-21-2010, 06:53 PM

I had the Spurs above the Hornets before the season, just like I had the Spurs above the Mavs all of last season. The Hornets don't have the stuff to beat the Spurs in a series. Mainly because of Paul, they're just good enough to push them, but ultimately come up short.

The Hornets don't concern me. It's no disrespect to them, it's just about match-ups. They don't have a wing good enough to exploit the fact that the Spurs lack a wing stopper, they don't have a credible, long big amongst their top three bigs, able to bother Duncan and they don't have a lot of size, so if for whatever reason(s) Splitter and/or Anderson aren't in the rotation against them and the Spurs play small, it won't matter.

By the way, by your logic, the Lakers are the third best team in the West.

Also by your logic, one team can't make a significant leap in a season. Apparently you missed the '10 Suns, who, if the Lakers didn't get lucky, were on the verge of going home with a chance to beat them in four straight and advance to the Finals...the same Suns who, a year earlier, didn't make the playoffs. I guess it was the Frye acquisition that made all the difference.

frodo
11-21-2010, 07:31 PM

1. Hornets
2. Lakers
3. Spurs

cHeat will definitely overtake them all as the season goes further and their triumvirate mesh better.

Giuseppe
11-21-2010, 08:26 PM
I remember when Banks got that contract with the Suns. During the negotiations he locked himself in his bedroom and wouldn't come out. According to his dad.

tee, hee.

InRareForm
04-25-2011, 01:04 AM
Great trade

redzero
04-25-2011, 01:06 AM
Great trade

Hell no. Peja can actually hit 3-pointers, and now he is playing for another team. The Hornets don't have any 3-point threats outside of Paul now.