PDA

View Full Version : How much Tiago do you think we'll see against Orlando?

Amuseddaysleeper
11-21-2010, 01:56 AM
It'd be a great game to give Tiago a strong amount of minutes to match Orlando's Howard and Gortat.

They might even start Tiago on Howard so Tim doesn't pick up too many fouls early.

crc21209
11-21-2010, 01:59 AM
Orlando would be the perfect game to see what Tiago is really made of. I could seem him frustrating Dwight with his physical D....

11-21-2010, 02:02 AM
refs will call a lot of fouls on splitter if he even breathes on howard.

DrSteffo
11-21-2010, 02:34 AM
I just hope Pop will not give him the Mahinmi/rookie treatment and keep him on the bench. I just hope he realize Splitter is too valuable a player for that shit.

z0sa
11-21-2010, 02:58 AM
However much Pop decides to play him.

MI21
11-21-2010, 03:02 AM
I don't mind starting Timmy out on Dwight. The offense is churning along nicely so really, Tim can reverse the roles a little bit from a few years ago - instead of saving himself a little on defense so he can carry the offense, he can concentrate on defense a bit more if the offense gets rolling.

gospursgojas
11-21-2010, 03:04 AM
If Tiago gets in, he'll will have 3 fouls in the 1st qtr.

#2!
11-21-2010, 03:11 AM
Was Tiago warming up tonight so he could have a rhythm against Orlando, or was McDyess being rested so he can take majority minutes against Dwight?

gospursgojas
11-21-2010, 03:17 AM
Was Tiago warming up tonight so he could have a rhythm against Orlando, or was McDyess being rested so he can take majority minutes against Dwight?

Dice not playing and Tiago playing had more to do with last night's game, than Monday's.

Obstructed_View
11-21-2010, 03:17 AM
If there's a game where the Spurs strategically decide NOT to play Splitter and Duncan together, this would be it. I'll take my chances with Splitter against Gortat.

Leonard Curse
11-21-2010, 03:50 AM
yeah i like splitter out on dwight, timmy will get pushed around too much. and everyone is correct tiago will rack up fouls, but hey ya never know maybe dwight will too

Obstructed_View
11-21-2010, 05:08 AM
Keeping a guy on the bench because you're afraid he's going to get into foul trouble is pretty dumb. Fouls are part of the game. I'm not sure where this foul-phobia started with Spurs fans, but having a guy on the floor to actually contribute is better than having him sit on the bench.

Mel_13
11-21-2010, 10:04 AM
I believe we'll soon move to the next reason a large segment of ST will complain about how Tiago is used.

My guess is that Tiago will become Tim's back-up and get 16-20 minutes per game.

If this comes to pass, ST will have two "debates". First, Tiago's minutes will result in a reduced role for Dice, Blair, or Bonner. We all know how that will go if Blair or Dice start to rack up DNP-CDs. Second, a segment of ST will question Pop's sobriety or sanity for not playing Tiago alongside Tim. These "debates" will intensify as the Spurs winning percentage drifts towards 70%. Good times.

Ditty
11-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Duncan-Howard
Splitter-Gortat
Mcdyess,Bonner-Lewis
Blair-Bass

that's how I want to see it if no one is in foul trouble

I think Howard is too powerful for Splitter unless Splitter uses his great offensive charges to frustrate Howard who was pissed off last year when they played here.

Obstructed_View
11-21-2010, 12:56 PM
I believe we'll soon move to the next reason a large segment of ST will complain about how Tiago is used.

My guess is that Tiago will become Tim's back-up and get 16-20 minutes per game.

If this comes to pass, ST will have two "debates". First, Tiago's minutes will result in a reduced role for Dice, Blair, or Bonner. We all know how that will go if Blair or Dice start to rack up DNP-CDs. Second, a segment of ST will question Pop's sobriety or sanity for not playing Tiago alongside Tim. These "debates" will intensify as the Spurs winning percentage drifts towards 70%. Good times.

I was excited about the idea of Duncan and Splitter together, but nothing Pop has said from the day Splitter arrived indicates that the idea is on his radar. I'll be happy to see it if it happens, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

Tp9gospursgo
11-21-2010, 01:13 PM
I would say he'd get some minutes trying to guard Howard to see how he does. Mcdyess will get a shot as well but Dyess might not be able to keep up with him. I like Tiago guarding him rather than Dyess.

Agloco
11-21-2010, 02:12 PM
It'd be a great game to give Tiago a strong amount of minutes to match Orlando's Howard and Gortat.

They might even start Tiago on Howard so Tim doesn't pick up too many fouls early.

Rest assured that McDyess will start against D-Ho.

Chomag
11-21-2010, 02:21 PM

I think Splitter is to good, and can do so much for this team then just be Duncan's back up. I would love to see them both play together for a few minutes a night. They might turn out to be this generations twin towers that we have wished for a long time.

Russ
11-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Splitter will have a new nickname after tomorrow's game -- "Kryptonite."

TJastal
11-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Splitter will have a new nickname after tomorrow's game -- "Kryptonite."

hahaha ... more likely it will be "Pinerider"

jjktkk
11-21-2010, 03:19 PM
I would guess Tiago will time against Orlando, for no other reason than try and throw as many bodies against Howard as possible. IMO it would be a great expierence for Splitter going up against the best center in the NBA. Should be intersting how many minutes Splitter gets against Orlando.

eric365
11-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Splitter has no chance against Howard. He would get 1 foul every minutes.
Blair can't defend Howard neither and would have trouble to defend the Lewis's threes.

I think a Dice/Duncan combo would be the best against Orlando but it's not yet playoff time and pop will stick to Duncan/Blair and ignore the matchups.

Splitter will get 10 minutes max.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-21-2010, 03:31 PM
He should definitely see more time than Blair, for a start.

picnroll
11-21-2010, 03:35 PM
What I've seen most of Splitter's fouls have been blocking fouls trying to slide over on penetrators, not playing man defense on bigs. On the other hand he draws charges on the bigs he's defending. Should be an interesting matchup.

ElNono
11-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Does Howard has a post up game yet?
I can see Pop playing small a lot against them...

JustinJDW
11-21-2010, 03:43 PM
refs will call a lot of fouls on splitter if he even breathes on howard.Sadly, this is the truth.

I prefer having Tiago come off the Bench to match up with Gortat.

Cane
11-21-2010, 03:53 PM
http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/20100527/84b333_BS_05272010.jpg

Whoever is guarding Howard has to be willing to take elbows, throw downs, and baby Karl Malone kind of shit...seems like a job better suited for the vets in Duncan and McDyess. Wouldn't mind seeing Tiago try to guard him for a few mins though, Tiago seems to have a knack for taking fouls and there'll be plenty against Dwight Howard.

jjktkk
11-21-2010, 04:04 PM

Howards improved his post up game quite a bit from last year. He probably never will be in Duncan's class, as far as footwork, but Howard's workouts this past Summer with Olajuwan appear to be paying off so far.

LeCrab
11-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Whoever is guarding Howard has to be willing to take elbows, throw downs, and baby Karl Malone kind of shit...seems like a job better suited for the vets in Duncan and McDyess. Wouldn't mind seeing Tiago try to guard him for a few mins though, Tiago seems to have a knack for taking fouls and there'll be plenty against Dwight Howard.

Serious question. Has anyone ever had their eye knocked out by a elbow in a basketball game?

Obstructed_View
11-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Serious question. Has anyone ever had their eye knocked out by a elbow in a basketball game?

If it never happened during Karl Malone's career, then it's not physically possible.

The Truth #6
11-21-2010, 04:30 PM

I would be surprised if Tiago is all of a sudden put in the starting lineup. He's just as likely to not get off the bench. But hopefully his minutes begin to climb.

maddnezz
11-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Olajuwan and Zeke Thomas both had there orbital(eye socket) bones broken in the late 80's I believe. As var as an eye coming out of the head............I dont think so.

The Truth #6
11-21-2010, 04:35 PM

If Tiago becomes Tim's back-up at 20 minutes per game, then Tim will be playing 28 minutes a game, which would be a great scenario. The goal should be to save Tim and Dice, and play the other 3 as much as possible, and still win games.

I'm sure people will debate whatever happens, but that's why we have a message board.

Obstructed_View
11-21-2010, 04:37 PM
If Tiago becomes Tim's back-up at 20 minutes per game, then Tim will be playing 28 minutes a game, which would be a great scenario. The goal should be to save Tim and Dice, and play the other 3 as much as possible, and still win games.

I'm sure people will debate whatever happens, but that's why we have a message board.

Excellent point. There's not really a bad scenario if he's getting minutes. Either he's contributing to a dominating defense or he's spelling Duncan. It's a whole lot better than the days when Pops Mensah-Bonsu looked like an attractive addition to the frontline. :lol

duncan228
11-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Spurs slowly acclimating Tiago Splitter (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/)
by Andrew A. McNeill
48 Minutes of Hell

AT&T CENTER — By now you’ve probably seen the numbers for Tiago Splitter (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/san-antonio-spurs-116-cleveland-cavaliers-92-where-the-spurs-frontline-is-deeper-than-yours). 18 points on 7 of 10 from the field. Five rebounds, two assists, two steals and two blocks in 26 minutes of action. After not playing in the previous two games, Splitter entered the game with 8:12 left still left in the first quarter.

As much as I’d like to write about something other than Tiago Splitter’s performance on Saturday night, it was the story of the game. The Spurs beat a bad Cleveland Cavaliers team in convincing fashion.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/san-antonio-spurs-slowly-acclimating-tiago-splitter#more-11313)

LeCrab
11-21-2010, 04:41 PM
thank you Mrs.Duncan3g

Tiago Splitter
11-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Don't expect much

silverblk mystix
11-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Splitter will get a DNP - for the next two games.

angelbelow
11-21-2010, 06:02 PM
I expect Tiago to play quite a bit. I think his defensive capabilities should really help us limit Lewis. I dont see any other big on our team doing good enough of a job without getting some help from double teams. Tiago might give Dwight some problems as well with his quickness and tenacity for taking charges. In terms of match ups I dont really see a better option for matching up against the Magics front court. Even when Bass comes in, Tiago should be able to stay with him on the perimeter while being crafty enough to defend him well in the post.

TD 21
11-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Splitter will get a DNP - for the next two games.

Nah, the Timberwolves game is a no brainer for him to play extended minutes. But I agree, I don't think he plays against the Magic, barring foul trouble to either Duncan or McDyess or the game turning into a blowout.

I expect Blair to struggle guarding Lewis and give way to Bonner playing extended minutes. McDyess will probably play a lot too, because he sat out last night and he could sit out the following game.

dbestpro
11-21-2010, 07:46 PM
I would run Dice, Splitter, Blair, Bonner,and Duncan at Howard at make him shoot 30-35 foul shots.

Cessation
11-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Probably not many minutes, howard will try to muscle him up, and tiago is more finesse than power right now.

OrEmuN
11-21-2010, 08:23 PM
I want Tiago to go against Howard just to let him get some experience in defending him. No point worrying about getting fouls - Tiago has to learn a lot on how to defend a big like Howard without fouling. It is imperative that he learns now than later.

I am not saying he should guard Howard every minute on court but give him some time on Howard and see what can he do.

TheSullyMonster
11-22-2010, 02:12 AM

I would highly doubt it, considering it's never happened in boxing.:lol

Now getting blinded from having your eye socket caved in, that can happen.:ihit

I don't know if that's ever happened in professional basketball though. Saw it happen in high school however-scrawny little white guy tells big black dude he's a dumb ###### in class. Black guy turns around punches him, collapses the eye socket, blinds him in that eye. Whoops.:hat

analyzed
11-22-2010, 03:51 AM
It's unfortunate that it takes one of the bigs ( dice or bonner) to not play DNP for Splitter to get any PT. C'mon Pop we all know were not beating LA unless Splitter is in the mix. As much as we want to win these early games we have to look at the bigger picture. I don't care if Splitter commits heaps of mistakes , but if thats what is going to take for him to get upto speed so be it. At the end of the day the Spurs play to be good in June, not November

mountainballer
11-22-2010, 04:37 AM
I can see Tiago get plents of minutes vs. Magic.
and don't focus exclusively on the match up with Howard.
two aspects:
Howard will put at least two of our frontcourt players into foul trouble (or the coaches, who currently all go with the hack a shaq on Howard, however we want to call it), so the bench players will get their minutes by default. (Howard currently leads the league by a prime time Shaq FTA number of 12.3 per game)

and there are other frontcourt players and IMO Tiago will be a good (the better?) option to guard either Lewis and Anderson. (or Gortat)

btw. Howard can't be stopped by our frontcourt players anyhow, but I'm pretty curious if Blair could give him some weary infighting. at least the coaches should let him study some Perkins videos.

futureAE
11-22-2010, 05:25 AM
I can see the benefits of Pop giving Splitter time early to "see what the kids made of" and depending on how he performs cutting losses or taking it one step at a time to build his confidence. Howard is the kind of center that ppl talked about when they said how he could transition against the NBA bigs.

Coming off a performance like that against Cleveland to the brick wall of Howard, may prove to be too stiff a contrast.

I wonder whats Pop thinkin, you never really know with that guy... I think the latter of which will occur. Splitter 10-12 minutes.

100%duncan
11-22-2010, 07:40 AM
tiago over tim? wth

buttsR4rebounding
11-22-2010, 07:49 AM
yeah i like splitter out on dwight, timmy will get pushed around too much. and everyone is correct tiago will rack up fouls, but hey ya never know maybe dwight will too

Racking up fouls on Howard isn't necessarily bad. If you remember last year Pop went to the Hack-a-Dwight to frustrate Howard. Howard is shooting 58% from the floor this year and 53% from the line. Let the games begin...:splitter

polandprzem
11-22-2010, 08:05 AM
I'd rather see Tiago against Howard then Gortat

ManuTastic
11-22-2010, 08:31 AM
Keeping a guy on the bench because you're afraid he's going to get into foul trouble is pretty dumb. Fouls are part of the game. I'm not sure where this foul-phobia started with Spurs fans, but having a guy on the floor to actually contribute is better than having him sit on the bench.

True, esp since Howard is a lousy FT shooter. Fouls aren't to be feared, they're to be used.

EricB
11-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Tiago will be lucky to see the floor.

Magic are very much like the Thunder in that they roll a small forward game like 4 out there in Rashard Lewis and Pop will match that up with Bonner and mcdyess.

Minnesota he will see minutes while Duncan and McDyess rest.

prediction Spurs lose, Tiago gets a DNPCD Spurstalk launches "Fire Pop" 2010 officially.

EricB
11-22-2010, 08:33 AM
Also, he played 25 minutes and was gassed.

He's still not over this summer's workload...

Russ
11-22-2010, 10:00 AM
What everyone seems to be missing is that Tiago is a much smarter player than Howard. That's why he'll do well guarding him (and making him work on the other end). Intelligent play in the post is more important than anywhere else on the floor. Guys who are all hops under the hoop lose out on the all-time lists to the Russells, Jabbars and Waltons.

PDXSpursFan
11-22-2010, 02:21 PM
I expect limited minutes or even a DNP for Splitter unless the game blows out as McDyess is fully rested.

Cry Havoc
11-22-2010, 02:23 PM

I'll take a gassed Argentinian that goes for 18/5/5 every night. He'll get in shape even faster like that if we play him hard. He's 25, not 34. His body will learn to cope and pace itself with the extra effort.

Cry Havoc
11-22-2010, 02:24 PM
I expect limited minutes or even a DNP for Splitter unless the game blows out as McDyess is fully rested.

Why? Tiago's last game was arguably one of the best games of the year from ANY of our big men, Tim included. I don't see how that warrants a DNP tonight after he gave more effort than anyone against the Bulls.

jag
11-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Why? Tiago's last game was arguably one of the best games of the year from ANY of our big men, Tim included. I don't see how that warrants a DNP tonight after he gave more effort than anyone against the Bulls.

I think you're getting a little carried away.

Cry Havoc
11-22-2010, 03:16 PM
I think you're getting a little carried away.

18 and 5 with a pair of blocks and steals to go along with it?

Yeah we've had better games, definitely, but it's still up there. The effort he gave in 26 minutes was incredible.

kaji157
11-22-2010, 03:20 PM
I think Duncan has to defend Howard, Tiago could be used once Gortat comes in to prevent Tim to wear down as Howard is a tough matchup. Maybe we can let Tiago guard DH during the 3rd if he is foul free, but i won´t try it as refs will most likely do the star-vs-rookie call all night long.
Duncan prevents that from happening.
Manu and Tony attacking the rim early would help put DH in foul trouble allowing us to play Splitter more.

Obstructed_View
11-22-2010, 05:00 PM

Too bad nobody utilized the previous two games for him to help get his wind back. Gassed or not, I'll certainly take his production any day of the week. I'm unsure why you wouldn't.

wunderkindepiphany
11-22-2010, 05:06 PM
http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/20100527/84b333_BS_05272010.jpg

Man, Vujacic is such a little bitch.

SCdac
11-22-2010, 09:58 PM
damn, this sucks. we play this team what 2 times a year? Splitter can't even get spot minutes on our home court? I guess he must have some injury or health problems or something. If he starts to play in only blowouts and/or any other kind of meaningless game, that would be a real shame. throw this dude into the fire, even if it means merely 5-10 minutes a game.

Chomag
11-22-2010, 11:07 PM
10 seconds! What? I'm too late on predictions? Damn!

DJ Mbenga
11-22-2010, 11:09 PM
why wait for him and pay him not to play him?

Supreme_Being
11-22-2010, 11:11 PM
I'd say naught to slightly little.

EricB
11-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Too bad nobody utilized the previous two games for him to help get his wind back. Gassed or not, I'll certainly take his production any day of the week. I'm unsure why you wouldn't.

I dnt think I ever said I wouldn't.

KaiRMD1
11-22-2010, 11:12 PM
10 seconds!?!?!? There has to be a reason why, in the end there must be a reason why.

Borosai
11-22-2010, 11:13 PM
Matchups.

ducks
11-22-2010, 11:15 PM
d howard is good
if he played lots of minutes and got exposed his confidence would be shot

ElNono
11-22-2010, 11:15 PM
lol 9 seconds

ElNono
11-22-2010, 11:16 PM

:hat

TD 21
11-22-2010, 11:17 PM
why wait for him and pay him not to play him?

Because Pop has some obsession with playing as small as possible, despite the fact that, when this team was winning championships, they were doing it with size. It's as if he's forgotten that.

I understand that, when you play the other 28 teams, the focus has to be on what's best against each individual team. But in the back of Pop's mind, should always be the Lakers, because if this team is going to get back to the Finals, at some point they're going to have to go through them. That means Splitter has to be a big part of it and that means he has to get used to playing next to Duncan and used to the system in general. As well as Bonner's playing right now, he can't play major minutes against the Lakers (nor can Blair).

Obviously, all five bigs need to be utilized throughout the season, but when this team plays elite teams, Blair needs to be stapled to the bench. McDyess should take his place in the starting lineup and Splitter should take McDyess' minutes off the bench.

DesignatedT
11-22-2010, 11:17 PM
There was almost always 2 bigs in the game at all times.

ElNono
11-22-2010, 11:19 PM
There was almost always 2 bigs in the game at all times.

Bonner is a perimeter player... he guarded a perimeter player on Lewis... that's just how Orlando plays though... that's why I figured Pop will hurry up to match up

silverblk mystix
11-22-2010, 11:27 PM
18 and 5 with a pair of blocks and steals to go along with it?

Yeah we've had better games, definitely, but it's still up there. The effort he gave in 26 minutes was incredible.

silverblk mystix
11-22-2010, 11:31 PM
...YET it earned Tiago no playing time...

EricB
11-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Bonner is a perimeter player... he guarded a perimeter player on Lewis... that's just how Orlando plays though... that's why I figured Pop will hurry up to match up

Well, you need a quick perimeter big to hang with Lewis outside and Tiago and Blair would've struggled mightily as would Duncan and McDyess.

ElNono
11-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Well, you need a quick perimeter big to hang with Lewis outside and Tiago and Blair would've struggled mightily as would Duncan and McDyess.

It's either that or you make them pay with actual size, kind of how Boston and the Lakers like to beat down Orlando. The problem is that neither Dice or Tiago (at least right now) have a polished post game to make them pay.

So I figured we were going to try to keep up with Rashard. I still think RJ is the better player we have to check him though. The problem is we don't have any quality body to play SF if we do that.

ElNono
11-22-2010, 11:41 PM
I thought Duncan took a beatdown in this game though. He started fresh and energetic, but it quickly dwindled down. And that's the byproduct of leaving him controlling the paint all alone. I'm glad we only play Orlando twice a season. But other teams with rough bigs (Denver/Lakers/Boston) will take a toll on him as the season goes on if we can't match him up with somebody else helping him inside.

EricB
11-22-2010, 11:41 PM
It's either that or you make them pay with actual size, kind of how Boston and the Lakers like to beat down Orlando. The problem is that neither Dice or Tiago (at least right now) have a polished post game to make them pay.

So I figured we were going to try to keep up with Rashard. I still think RJ is the better player we have to check him though. The problem is we don't have any quality body to play SF if we do that.

Yup, if Tiago had as good an offensive game in the post as an Andrew Bynum, then you might get away with it.

On the defensive end though again, Splitter would be lucky to stay with Lewis.

Another night where if you had James Anderson, Pop would've maybe gone that way.

But again, he wasn't, Bonner got the minutes, Bonner played VERY well, Spurs won.

Fin.

ElNono
11-22-2010, 11:43 PM
I thought Bonner played better on the second half. His first half was very iffy, IMO. Then again, when he's knocking threes he justifies the time.

DieHardSpursFan1537
11-22-2010, 11:44 PM
Did Splitter get any minutes at all tonight? He had no points, rebounds, etc.

EricB
11-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Im a middle of the road guy on Bonner.

Would rather see Tiago, but see the benefits he's brought and am not gonna argue with the minutes tonight (although 36 is pretty damn high, maybe should've brought it down to 28, shame Anderson again is hurt :pctoss)

ElNono
11-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Did Splitter get any minutes at all tonight? He had no points, rebounds, etc.

9 seconds

ElNono
11-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Im a middle of the road guy on Bonner.

Would rather see Tiago, but see the benefits he's brought and am not gonna argue with the minutes tonight (although 36 is pretty damn high, maybe should've brought it down to 28, shame Anderson again is hurt :pctoss)

That's the story right there. Matt for 36 mins is too much, unless he's going 7-7... but, who do you play instead?

Obstructed_View
11-22-2010, 11:49 PM
10 seconds!?!?!? There has to be a reason why, in the end there must be a reason why.

It brings down his averages.

EricB
11-22-2010, 11:49 PM
That's the story right there. Matt for 36 mins is too much, unless he's going 7-7... but, who do you play instead?

15 and 7.

Again, don't care win or loss thats a line I'll take out of the 4th or 5th big every night you give it to me.

ElNono
11-22-2010, 11:51 PM
15 and 7.

Again, don't care win or loss thats a line I'll take out of the 4th or 5th big every night you give it to me.

He's the 3rd big, really. Tonight he was the 2nd.
Heck, he played more minutes than Tim tonight. I really would like people to stop saying he's the 4th/5th big. He isn't.

DesignatedT
11-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Matt is by far the best option against Orlando. Simple as that.

ElNono
11-22-2010, 11:53 PM
And TBH, with Duncan fighting Howard for rebounds, 7 boards in 36 mins against a bunch of guards is pretty pedestrian. No knock on Matt, just the reality.

Obstructed_View
11-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Matt definitely does what's asked of him, and does it to the best of his ability. There's certainly no faulting him for doing that.

TD 21
11-22-2010, 11:59 PM
I don't know where you guys came up with this idea that Splitter has no post game. He's not going to make anybody forget about prime Duncan down there any time soon, but he's polished enough to where, if he has an advantageous match-up like Lewis, I'm confident he could make the opposition pay.

But Pop doesn't think that way. He see's a tough match-up with a guy like Lewis and his immediate thought is "let's play smaller", as opposed to let's play bigger and punish this team in the paint and on the glass. Force them to adjust.

ElNono
11-23-2010, 12:25 AM
It's not that he has no post game, but when the anchor on the other team is Dwight Howard, you need to have a pretty polished game. Anything resembling a flat hook or weak layup ends in the stands. Hopefully there will be time during the season against scrub teams to get that post game to NBA standards.

Mel_13
11-23-2010, 12:30 AM
Obviously, all five bigs need to be utilized throughout the season, but when this team plays elite teams, Blair needs to be stapled to the bench. McDyess should take his place in the starting lineup and Splitter should take McDyess' minutes off the bench.

:tu

Cry Havoc
11-23-2010, 12:40 AM
Matt is by far the best option against Orlando. Simple as that.

If he doesn't drill his threes tonight I would have still preferred Splitter. As it is, when you've got a hot horse, you run him for all he's worth, and Matt Bonner is the hottest shooter in the entire league right now.

senorglory
11-23-2010, 02:27 AM
How did Splitter score his points in Europe and FIBA? Doesn't he play low post and half court sets?

z0sa
11-23-2010, 02:28 AM

None of that changes the fact Bonner is a big.

Obstructed_View
11-23-2010, 02:59 AM
How did Splitter score his points in Europe and FIBA? Doesn't he play low post and half court sets?

He didn't score any points. He's injured, out of shape and can't spread the floor, post up, or defend without piling up fouls.

The Reckoning
11-23-2010, 03:11 AM
so much for picking him up for my fantasy team

:bang

angelbelow
11-23-2010, 03:49 AM
I was so worried about over playing Bonner and falling behind in rebounds that I forgot that Lewis might be even worse than the red rocket. With that said, I would rather not have a repeat of a game where we get out maned on rebounds against any other team. I think our team as a whole did a great job rebounding in the 2nd half, but the first half was ugly.

Boston and LA eat those types of teams up for breakfast.

Leonard Curse
11-23-2010, 06:29 AM
i mean there was the whole "he must have sucked at practice myth busted" when he played his last game, so its not any of that, i dont know whats going through pops mind, but i read somewhere he didnt get much time off so i think pop is doing that for him, well thats what im telling myself to stay sane at least. honestly i think its a dumb move tiago has had plenty rest. hes just in love with bonner

Leonard Curse
11-23-2010, 06:31 AM
i'd take splitter over bonner anyday even if bonner scores 15, you guys need to pay close attention to switchoffs and help defense THEN you will see where bonner is messing up left and right

silverblk mystix
11-23-2010, 06:32 AM
those 9 seconds were just to help Tiago stay in shape.

Masterful move by Pop.

SplitterHook
11-23-2010, 08:25 AM
What about trading Splitter? I think its obvious Pop wont give him playing time against good teams.

blair+duncan
duncan+bonner
McDyess+bonner
Blair+Bonner/McDyess (splitter would play here)
(..)

What can we get for Splitter? I bet we could get a good trade from contending teams that lacks an interior presence. Miami would love to have a defensive center like him...

Btw, I'm not criticizing Pop. I think the Spurs play better without splitter packing the paint... Bonner looking really great out there, he's hot from the 3 and I don't think he's slowing down anytime soon...

So why not trade him?

ElNono
11-23-2010, 09:06 AM
None of that changes the fact Bonner is a big.

You can tell me he is a big body, but he plays small. At least on the offensive end, he's literally a perimeter player.

Trill Clinton
11-23-2010, 09:08 AM
What about trading Splitter? I think its obvious Pop wont give him playing time against good teams.

blair+duncan
duncan+bonner
McDyess+bonner
Blair+Bonner/McDyess (splitter would play here)
(..)

What can we get for Splitter? I bet we could get a good trade from contending teams that lacks an interior presence. Miami would love to have a defensive center like him...

Btw, I'm not criticizing Pop. I think the Spurs play better without splitter packing the paint... Bonner looking really great out there, he's hot from the 3 and I don't think he's slowing down anytime soon...

So why not trade him?

Why trade him when Timmy and Dice are close to retiring?

mountainballer
11-23-2010, 09:29 AM
bad news if people didn't like the minutes share in the Magics game, things might not be much different vs. Wolves. (or will Pop even try to play RJ against Beasley?).
well, if hopefully the Wolves turns into a garbage time game from start of 2nd half, Pop can rest Tim and Dice for the Mavs game. in that case we should see some Splitter minutes.

Rummpd
11-23-2010, 09:38 AM
12 and 1 is the answer - I believe Pop is determined to get a decent start this year then will loosen the reins and he will begin watching Duncan's and Dice's minutes. Splitter will be playing more by the middle of the year but I do not seem him moving into a starting role this year at least.

yavozerb
11-23-2010, 09:41 AM
There are plenty of back to backs still to come and amazingly none of our bigs have been in any foul trouble through 13 games so far this season which would free up more minutes for splitter. His time will come and I feel very confident that he well perform very well when called on by pop.

Mel_13
11-23-2010, 09:47 AM
bad news if people didn't like the minutes share in the Magics game, things might not be much different vs. Wolves. (or will Pop even try to play RJ against Beasley?).
well, if hopefully the Wolves turns into a garbage time game from start of 2nd half, Pop can rest Tim and Dice for the Mavs game. in that case we should see some Splitter minutes.

Beasley is their starting SF, so RJ will be matched up with him.

boutons_deux
11-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Splitter being buried on the bench is weirdo Pop.

Agloco
11-23-2010, 09:57 AM

Even looking in the rear view mirror, this would have been a bad idea. If Tiago even looked at Howard funny he's getting hit with a foul. He'd last all of 5 minutes out there.

Agloco
11-23-2010, 10:01 AM

I think Dice and Blairs minutes need to be lowered considerably, with Dice being the first option should Timmy, Tiago or Boner get into foul trouble. Dice should be the spot minutes guy or the guy we go to if some toughness and elbow grease is needed (like last night).

Blair needs some time to think things over. He's clearly distracted by something (To be fair, I can see how Ashley could do that :lol).

mountainballer
11-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Beasley is their starting SF, so RJ will be matched up with him.

ok, right.
I had Johnson in mind as their starting SF but didn't check that they play him at SG.

Madhops
11-23-2010, 10:58 AM
im going to guess 10 seconds

TJastal
11-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Nah, the Timberwolves game is a no brainer for him to play extended minutes. But I agree, I don't think he plays against the Magic, barring foul trouble to either Duncan or McDyess or the game turning into a blowout.

I expect Blair to struggle guarding Lewis and give way to Bonner playing extended minutes. McDyess will probably play a lot too, because he sat out last night and he could sit out the following game.

Nice call TD_21 :toast

TJastal
11-23-2010, 11:59 AM
There are plenty of back to backs still to come and amazingly none of our bigs have been in any foul trouble through 13 games so far this season which would free up more minutes for splitter. His time will come and I feel very confident that he well perform very well when called on by pop.

LMAO, reality setting in finally, that the crotch rocket is Pop's favorite.

Tilll January, this is it for B2B's:

clippers Dec 1st
nuggets Dec 15th

LMAO "plenty"

Obstructed_View
11-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Even looking in the rear view mirror, this would have been a bad idea. If Tiago even looked at Howard funny he's getting hit with a foul. He'd last all of 5 minutes out there.

Four minutes and 51 seconds longer than he actually lasted.

yavozerb
11-23-2010, 01:40 PM
LMAO, reality setting in finally, that the crotch rocket is Pop's favorite.

Tilll January, this is it for B2B's:

clippers Dec 1st
nuggets Dec 15th

LMAO "plenty"

I have no problem with Bonner playing the way he currently is. Pop is going with the hot hand right now and I hope Bonner stays hot all season. Tiago is a great reserve to have in case of an injury or foul trouble. Not sure why I explain this to you since you are the same poster who seems jump on the hater bandwagon every season. First it was Euro splitter, then RJ, and then Bonner you hated on. I know its probable eating you alive since you have no other player to hate on currently so I guess you settled for splitters PT. Now thats funny, :lol and sad at the same time.

TJastal
11-23-2010, 02:09 PM
I don't know where you guys came up with this idea that Splitter has no post game. He's not going to make anybody forget about prime Duncan down there any time soon, but he's polished enough to where, if he has an advantageous match-up like Lewis, I'm confident he could make the opposition pay.

But Pop doesn't think that way. He see's a tough match-up with a guy like Lewis and his immediate thought is "let's play smaller", as opposed to let's play bigger and punish this team in the paint and on the glass. Force them to adjust.

+1

I totally agree here, and its obvious Pop is married to this idea that Matt Bonner is the only answer to the quicker stretch 4's like Lewis, and pretty much everyone else. He didn't even give Tiago a look on Lewis last night, preferring to go with the crotch rocket for a ridiculous 36 minutes.

Ultimately, Splitter gets another DNP-CD, loses another chance to gain important experience, and has another layer of confidence chipped away, which will ultimately cost the spurs later on in the season.

TJastal
11-23-2010, 02:15 PM
I have no problem with Bonner playing the way he currently is. Pop is going with the hot hand right now and I hope Bonner stays hot all season. Tiago is a great reserve to have in case of an injury or foul trouble. Not sure why I explain this to you since you are the same poster who seems jump on the hater bandwagon every season. First it was Euro splitter, then RJ, and then Bonner you hated on. I know its probable eating you alive since you have no other player to hate on currently so I guess you settled for splitters PT. Now thats funny, :lol and sad at the same time.

Props to being right about Splitter, he's much better than I realized. I know alot of people were just getting fed up wondering if he was going to make the jump or not, me included.

Props on RJ as well. So far he has made a complete turnaround. Can't hate on that.

You called em both, and I gotta give credit where its due. You're delusional however if you think Bonner is the answer and that Splitter should be playing as his 'backup'. This is only going to result in Tim Duncan being worn completely to the nub come playoff time and a simultaneous Matt Bonner choke job = certain doom for the spurs.

ChumpDumper
11-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Looks like Pop doesn't want to overplay Splitter in games when the Spurs are already winning. It's not like this hasn't happened before with players who played all summer.

yavozerb
11-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Props to being right about Splitter, he's much better than I realized. I know alot of people were just getting fed up wondering if he was going to make the jump or not, me included.

Props on RJ as well. So far he has made a complete turnaround. Can't hate on that.

You called em both, and I gotta give credit where its due. You're delusional however if you think Bonner is the answer and that Splitter should be playing as his 'backup'. This is only going to result in Tim Duncan being worn completely to the nub come playoff time and a simultaneous Matt Bonner choke job = certain doom for the spurs.

Duncan is averaging 29 mpg after 13 games, do you think this too much? I think as long as Duncan can average less than 32mpg during the season he should be ok come playoff time. I really do not care who backs up TD as long as they produce. Right now Bonner is one of the hottest shooters in the NBA, a good coach like pop is gonna get as much from that as possible. Now if Bonner cools off and is still getting big minutes then I may question the big man rotation.

jjktkk
11-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Splitter being buried on the bench is weirdo Pop.

Since Bonner and McDyess are playing well, Splitter should be getting Blair's minutes. Have a feeling that Pop wants Blair to come out of his funk, which, along with Splitter's still learning the Spurs system, might be a couple of reasons Splitter isn't getting more burn IMO. This won't go on forever, as I feel that Splitter will be a regular and solid contributer as the season goes along, eventually surpassing Blair on the depth chart.

Chomag
11-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Splitter has to get minutes there is just no way around that. It's great having Bonner red hot to help win games and all but to what extent does it start effecting the development of another player. I agree that if there is a odd-man out it should be more Blair but then again you are stunting Blair's growth as well.

I'm not sure what Pop can do with so many bigs that need to be getting minutes at this point but he has got to find a way to get and keep them in rhythm.

Also People need got to stop referring Bonner as the 4th or 5th big on this team. Thats not how Pop seems to see it and he is more the 2nd, or 3rd in the rotation now.

jjktkk
11-23-2010, 03:01 PM
+1

I totally agree here, and its obvious Pop is married to this idea that Matt Bonner is the only answer to the quicker stretch 4's like Lewis, and pretty much everyone else. He didn't even give Tiago a look on Lewis last night, preferring to go with the crotch rocket for a ridiculous 36 minutes.

Would be even more ridiculous for Pop to have a rookie center try to chase around a much quicker Lewis around on screens and on the perimeter.

jjktkk
11-23-2010, 03:05 PM
+1

Ultimately, Splitter gets another DNP-CD, loses another chance to gain important experience, and has another layer of confidence chipped away, which will ultimately cost the spurs later on in the season.

So you want to build up Splitter's confidence by having him chase around a muck quicker lewis around the perimeter?

Bruno
11-23-2010, 03:05 PM
I truly don't get why Splitter doesn't get more minutes. I hope it's temporary and Splitter will get 15-20mpg every game.

There are no reason at all to be excited with Bonner. He is still the same player except that he is just in a great shooting stretch.

Obstructed_View
11-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Also People need got to stop referring Bonner as the 4th or 5th big on this team. Thats not how Pop seems to see it and he is more the 2nd, or 3rd in the rotation now.

I agree. He should be the 4th or 5th big at best. I've said numerous times that he should be considered a taller version of Gary Neal and only be an emergency "big". The problem is when Pop all but starts him and has him in the entire fourth quarter, he's first or second.

TJastal
11-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Duncan is averaging 29 mpg after 13 games, do you think this too much? I think as long as Duncan can average less than 32mpg during the season he should be ok come playoff time. I really do not care who backs up TD as long as they produce. Right now Bonner is one of the hottest shooters in the NBA, a good coach like pop is gonna get as much from that as possible. Now if Bonner cools off and is still getting big minutes then I may question the big man rotation.

I think the amount of wear and tear on Duncan's body will be more of a factor of the amount of effort he needs to put forth to control the boards & interior defensively than by the # of minutes next to his name on the box score.

TJastal
11-23-2010, 03:13 PM
So you want to build up Splitter's confidence by having him chase around a muck quicker lewis around the perimeter?

Bonner couldn't keep up with him either. He got burned a few times himself. Splitter might be a step slower, but don't forget has length over the guy w/ the t-rex arms.

jjktkk
11-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Splitter has to get minutes there is just no way around that. It's great having Bonner red hot to help win games and all but to what extent does it start effecting the development of another player. I agree that if there is a odd-man out it should be more Blair but then again you are stunting Blair's growth as well.

I'm not sure what Pop can do with so many bigs that need to be getting minutes at this point but he has got to find a way to get and keep them in rhythm.

Theres no easy answer on how Pop gives out minutes too his bigmen. Like you mentioned, Pop has to start developing Splitter, but Blair as well. But right now you can't justify sitting a redhot Bonner.

Chomag
11-23-2010, 03:17 PM
I truly don't get why Splitter doesn't get more minutes. I hope it's temporary and Splitter will get 15-20mpg every game.

There are no reason at all to be excited with Bonner. He is still the same player except that he is just in a great shooting stretch.

Agreed, people seem to be acting like thie is a new thing of Bonner. He allways seems to go through a streth of being red hot each season. We have all seen this same thing so many times thats why I don't understand when poeple get on the people that still have doubts on him.

jjktkk
11-23-2010, 03:19 PM
Bonner couldn't keep up with him either. He got burned a few times himself. Splitter might be a step slower, but don't forget has length over the guy w/ the t-rex arms.

Lewis is a nightmare matchup for most teams. Thats one of the reasons why Orlando is one the best teams in the NBA. You would take Splitter completely out of his element by having him chase around Lewis on the perimeter. So you counter Lewis with Bonner. In other words, like last night, you counter Lewis's scoring with Bonner's scoring.

objective
11-24-2010, 04:03 AM
I'm not really buying the whole 'bad match-up' with Orlando bit.

Splitter played against PHX in his fourth game and at times was matched with McDyess against Frye and Warrick and with Duncan against Siler and Turkoglu. I remember one play where Hedo got away for a layup but other than that my memory is that Splitter had a decent game.

Leonard Curse
11-24-2010, 04:15 AM
do you guys think splitter will play against minn?