PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with the Rockets

Indazone
11-21-2010, 02:23 PM
What is wrong with the Rockets?

With the slow start in Houston having nothing to do with the economy, I felt I needed to figure out what was wrong with the highly anticipated Houston Rockets. Losing their first 5 games with curing their winning woes over Minnesota recently, there was something not right with this team.

The one thing that Rockets have consistently been able to do is perform on the defensive end with players like Shane Battier and Chuck Hayes, this should come easy to them. This season the Rockets are the second worst defensive team in terms of opponents scoring (112 per game), which isn’t a big surprise when they played offensive power houses of the Lakers, Warriors, and Nuggets, but it is surprising they have not been able to get stops or slow the pace of the game down, something Rick Adelman teams have always been able to do.

Running down the rest of the defensive categories you have the Rockets ranked 4th in Defensive rebounding (46.33 per game), 17th in blocks (4.83), and 26th in steals (6.17). These are ranked 11th in opponent’s field goal percentage (44.4%) and 24th in opponent’s 3pt percentage (38.3%), which tells me they are not closing in on their rotations fast enough. Houston is ranked second to last in forcing turnovers, with 12.33 a game, which is not enough to stop the opponents on a nightly basis. Ranking 9th in the league in fouls per game at 23.33 is a sign of slow rotations, lack of positioning, and just getting beat to the basket. The Rockets need to control the pace of a game better to pull out wins, as they try to work Yao back into the line up.

What is even more concerning for the Rockets is that their PPG differential is only -.67, meaning every game is decided by one point theoretically, which they lost a couple of close ones down the stretch to start the season. They are scoring more than they ever have in recent memory, putting up 112 points per game, but this is not the style the Rockets are accustomed to.

The Rockets slow start can’t be pinpointed to any individuals as each player is putting up stats like they usually do, however, as a team the defense is not there. I do not expect the Rockets to continue this pace, considering they had to play their first couple of games for opening nights on the west coast and open at home verses very worthy opponents. I do expect them to rotate better on defense, force more turnovers, and get to the shooters on the perimeter faster, which will translate into wins and bringing the Rockets back to their style of basketball, although losing Aaron Brooks for a month might slow this down.

Just play zone since the Rockets do not seem to be able to rotate worth a damn!

MavDynasty
11-21-2010, 02:24 PM
sup killbillpana

Indazone
11-21-2010, 02:25 PM
sup Mavtroll

sananspursfan21
11-21-2010, 03:06 PM
i think theyve got the wierdest combo of players making up a team. if they can get some chemistry they could be dangerous. i think the strings need to be cut with yao, hes greg odens inspiration.

Roxsfan
11-21-2010, 05:03 PM
They suck. From Les Alexander to Keith Jones--they all suck.

Trill Clinton
11-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Poor front office and head coach.

Giuseppe
11-21-2010, 05:14 PM
They over-reacted to the Lakers victory in the '09 Playoffs. They started making nonsensical & foolish trades in the aftermath. They sold out the identity they'd built up over time and now they're lost.

Jelloisjigglin
11-21-2010, 05:21 PM
They over-reacted to the Lakers victory in the '09 Playoffs. They started making nonsensical & foolish trades in the aftermath. They sold out the identity they'd built up over time and now they're lost.

Yep. Trading Landry for Martin was a horrible move.

Roxsfan
11-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Yep. Trading Landry for Martin was a horrible move.

trading ariza for Lee:lmao

Giuseppe
11-21-2010, 05:28 PM
trading ariza for Lee:lmao

Yes. Hindsight is 20/20, but, it is obvious now that too much was heaped on Ariza's plate upon arrival there in Texas. He was shell shocked after being bum rushed out of California. Completely understandable upon reflection. Early on he nearly assaulted another player during a game/completely contrary to Ariza's career mental makeup.

frodo
11-21-2010, 07:42 PM
i think theyve got the wierdest combo of players making up a team. if they can get some chemistry they could be dangerous. i think the strings need to be cut with yao, hes greg odens inspiration.

ain't easy to cut the giant dreg though. if he's traded by the only value of an expiring contract, the rockets will definitely receive a couple bad contracts in return (like Brand) which won't gain them too much and will vandalize their finance further. just let the shit run free (or retire) as his contract expires and start all over again.

21_Blessings
11-21-2010, 07:46 PM
If the Rockets had Gay/Ariza/Landry right now they would be a top 4 seed.

Killakobe81
11-21-2010, 07:47 PM
People overestimnated their talent. Just like Portland but both teams aint shit without their stars (Roy/Oden/Yao/Tmac) . You win with Superstar/HOF'ers and a great supporting cast. Rox and Blazers have the latter but their potential HOF'ers are damaged goods.

Only Larry Browns Pistons crew won without a true superstar/HOF'er ...over the past 30 years ...

frodo
11-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Poor front office and head coach.

neither is "poor" imho. rockets are still paying for the historic mistake made by their former GM. their current GM was working for celtics the time when the rockets drafted a flop with their #1 pick. during his tenure Adelman got the team past the 1st round once, and without a franchise player the rockets are still giving tough battles whoever they play. just an admirable coach adelman is, imho.

Giuseppe
11-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Only Larry Browns Pistons crew won without a true superstar/HOF'er ...over the past 30 years ...

That's because Wallace acted like somebody for a like a week. The entire balance of his life on either side of the aforementioned week has been as a complete asshole.

21_Blessings
11-21-2010, 08:01 PM
That's because Wallace acted like somebody for a like a week. The entire balance of his life on either side of the aforementioned week has been as a complete asshole.

Yeah fuck that guy. He put on his best hat when he saw the Lakers with Portland too.

Giuseppe
11-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Yeah fuck that guy. He put on his best hat when he saw the Lakers with Portland too.

He's always had a hard on for us. I'd like to know the thought process there with him. What a royal prick.

Iceman101
11-21-2010, 08:57 PM
We have become worse than Cleveland in all 3 major sports, thats what happened. Good thing this town is full of bandwagonners, otherwise they would be on suicide alert right now

lefty
11-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Bad defense late in games

That's the problem

Adelman is not defensive minded coach

Killakobe81
11-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Texans have been worse ...finding ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory ...

Great De, RB and WR and an ok QB ...but that secondary is horrible ...

j.dizzle
11-21-2010, 09:10 PM
We have become worse than Cleveland in all 3 major sports, thats what happened. Good thing this town is full of bandwagonners, otherwise they would be on suicide alert right now
Rockets, Texans, Astros. Yea guess your right:lol

frodo
11-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Bad defense late in games

That's the problem

Adelman is not defensive minded coach

should have hired JVG as assistant imho.

Iceman101
11-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Rockets, Texans, Astros. Yea guess your right:lol

The only thing that could possibly be worse is to one day get a legitimate superstar, and have him leave us on national tv, and after that our women start to look San Antonio women. Dear God in Heaven. The Horror!!! The Horrorrr!! :wow

mystargtr34
11-21-2010, 11:21 PM
Luis Scola is their best player.

Pelicans78
11-21-2010, 11:34 PM

I was gonna say the same thing :lol

lefty
11-21-2010, 11:41 PM

:lol

Venti Quattro