PDA

View Full Version : Charges drawn, hockey assist, and successful screen. Should they be boxscore stats?

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Here's some stats that honor the grunts
Forget all the complicated statistics — these numbers reward gritty play
By Ira Winderman

First, exhale. This is not an attempt to justify analytics as an essential component of fandom. Far from it.

There will be no preaching about adjusted field-goal percentage and PER or anything else computers spit out.

This is not about RISP or OBPS or YAC or anything else that involves a calculator.
Rather, this is about rewarding the proper playing of the game, the components of the NBA that enhance the fan experience.

In 1973-74, the NBA added blocked shots and steals as recognized statistics. The move added relevancy to the careers of Alvin Robertson, Mookie Blaylock, Gary Payton, Mark Eaton, Dikembe Mutombo, even George T. Johnson.

Since then, box scores have become stagnant. For nearly four decades.

Perhaps it is time for the NBA to add its versions of baseball "holds" and "blown saves," while stopping sanely short of the NFL's insipid passing rating (which basically is the U.S. tax code divided by interceptions).

Our votes:

Charges taken.
The hockey assist (sorry, but fractions will be involved).
Successful screens.
In each case, the stat recognizes a player's sacrificing for the good of the team, an effort that would otherwise go largely unnoticed. It would validate why coaches value players who seemingly otherwise produce so little.

The save in baseball created a lineage of newly relevant closers, added distinction to the careers of Rollie Fingers, Bruce Sutter, Mariano Rivera and Trevor Hoffman. These statistics could do the same for basketball.

Charges taken
First, a personal aside: I am not a huge fan of the play. I doubt the architects of the game thought it would be a good idea for a player to stand idly by, endure a full-body bruise, effectively ruin what otherwise could be something electrifying.

From this perspective, the NBA's no-charge semicircle is no frown turned upside down.

But it is an accepted part of the game, so give it its due.

Unlike a blocked shot, when a charge is taken, there is a definitive change of possession. This is not Dwight Howard swatting the ball out of bounds. This is Big Baby Davis making sure there is a change of possession.

And there is the bonus of a personal foul on the opposition.

If a block or a steal has its own statistical relevance, then why not something for the ultimate badge of defensive courage? Such recognition also would expand the database media and coaches can consult when voting for Defensive Player of the Year and All-Defensive teams.

Hockey assist
For the uninitiated, unlike in basketball, hockey is allowed to credit up to two assists per goal.

The thought process there is that it often is the pass that leads to the pass that sets up the scoring play.

In the NBA, few plays are as underappreciated as the pass that leads to the assist pass.

Basketball is at its best when the ball moves, when isolation plays are kept to a minimum, when there is more than a two-man game.

But don't kid yourself, NBA players are well aware of what provides the payoff, namely the pass that is converted into two points. It is the dime that is reflected in the paycheck.

Of course, if the NBA immediately moved to an NHL system, then the likes of John Stockton, Jason Kidd, Mark Jackson and Magic Johnson quickly could become marginalized, with so many more assists available.

Fair enough.

Then go to the NFL's system with sacks. No, we're not big fans of fractions, either. But if the NFL can divide sacks into half-sacks, and if 300-pound men can accept the decimal points, then who are NBA players to complain?

For the league's leading assist men, the change would be marginal. Most play in pick-and-roll systems, or are involved with two-man games where there only would be one definitive assist involved, no fractions needed.

Yes, it would increase the workload on the scorers' table, but there are plenty of judgment calls in the process already. Plus the league reviews video and audits each box score, anyway, so it's not as if it would be such an unreasonable requirement.

Successful screens
This is one we're not totally sure how to quantify, but nonetheless believe it should be quantified.

No play is more prevalent in the NBA than the pick and roll. Teams such as the Phoenix Suns and Utah Jazz run it over and over and over.

The results are tons of assists and baskets.

But what about the screener, the player who clears the space, creates the opening, sometimes never touches the ball in the process?

Understand, many teams feature players solely because of their ability to set screens, which very much is an NBA skill.

It might be the sole reason Joel Anthony gets any playing time for the Heat.

Why not a "screen assist," crediting a player for creating the space or switch or mismatch that leads to a successful basket?

A judgment call? No doubt. But don't, for a second, think there aren't plenty of judgment calls already in the box score, from who gets credit for a tipped rebound, whether an assist should be credited, if a shot is deflected or not when it comes to awarding a blocked shot.

There might be no act as unsung in the NBA as the successful screen, yet no play utilized as often.

The screener is the NBA's ultimate grunt. We're not talking about those finesse big men who spend the majority of their time slipping the screen. Sorry, Amare, this one's not for you.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/40300182/ns/sports-nba/

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-21-2010, 03:34 PM
I only fully agree with charges drawn. I'm not sold on hockey assist, but I can understand it's importance. And the screen is too biased. Like he said, the Suns and Jazz run it over and over, which means it's not really the skill of the player, but how the team's system requires pick and roll.

Mr Bones
11-21-2010, 05:03 PM
I'd like to see total fouls drawn added to boxscores-- that's a skill that doesn't get enough attention. For the more obscure stats, a great website is 82games.com.

21_Blessings
11-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Hockey assists should be counted but kept separated from regular ones. They're equally important in most cases.

SomeCallMeTim
11-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Sure. All these could provide valuable info. I'd add tipped passes and successful rebound box-outs too. There are people who track these things already I know.

AussieFanKurt
11-21-2010, 06:29 PM
If there's available people to do it, definitely. The more stats the better imo

Flintstones32
11-22-2010, 12:34 AM
I've always wondered why an assist was not given when someone is fouled and makes their FT's as well. I think just because they are fouled should not be a reason to penalize the passer if they still assisted in the team acquiring the points.

HarlemHeat37
11-22-2010, 12:39 AM
Other than successful screen, these stats are all available from numerous outlets..

For "official stats", charges drawn is the only stat I would like to see..the others are too difficult to quantify and evaluate properly IMO(hockey assist could be done, but you would have to consider various circumstances every time IMO)..