PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs Magic Previews

duncan228
11-21-2010, 04:26 PM
Game is Monday, 7:30 CST on FSSW and NBA TV.

Orlando Magic at San Antonio Spurs, 8:30 p.m., Monday (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-magic-spurs-preview-1122-20101121,0,6184372.story)
Winning streaks on line for Magic, Spurs
By Brian Schmitz, Orlando Sentinel

MAGIC AT SPURS
WHERE/WHEN: AT&T Center, San Antonio, Texas, 8:30 p.m.
TV: FSN; RADIO: AM 580 WDBO; Spanish language: AM 1270 WRLZ.

MY TAKE
The Magic are coming off a scare in Indy for their fourth straight win, but they don't need to be warned about the perennially potent Spurs. Riding a 10-game win streak and best-ever franchise start, San Antonio (11-1) is playing as efficiently as anyone. Orlando has lost to Miami and Utah this season, with its lone quality win coming against Atlanta. Time for the Magic to prove they can beat an elite team.

DWIGHT VS. …
Howard obviously has his hands full with Hall-of-Fame shoo-in Tim Duncan, but rookie big man Tiago Splitter will provide a nice tag-team with Duncan off the bench. Not a night for Dwight to show off finesse. He needs to wear out the Spurs in the paint.

MARQUEE MATCHUP
Well, pick one. Howard vs. Duncan. Jameer Nelson vs. Tony Parker. Vince Carter vs. Manu Ginobili. I'm thinking the key might be how the Magic can keep the all-around Ginobili under control.

3 SPURS FACTS

1. Parker led the Spurs with 22.4 ppg in five games before scoring 19 in Saturday's win vs. Cleveland.

2. Splitter, of Brazil, played the past two seasons in Spain.

3. Second-year man DeJuan Blair, 6-7, has been starting at C.

DesignatedT
11-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Very good test for us.

NASpurs
11-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Anyone remember this from last year?

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2010/04/dwight-howard-upset-with-fans-refs-spurs.html

Spurs assistant coach Mike Budenholzer, subbing for the ejected Gregg Popovich, ordered the Spurs to intentionally foul Howard twice in the final five minutes.

The Magic trailed by eight and nine points when Dwight was the victim of the Hack-a-Howard. Then again, he missed nine of 11 free throws on the night, warranting the Spurs employing such a strategy. Howard hit two of the four foul shots.

Howard said he told his teammates to remember what the Spurs did to him.
We see them next time. They do something like that and it will be different result. Just play the game out, ” Howard said.

Howard admitted that he was “very frustrated” and “pissed off,” and it affected him at the line. “I let it get to me and I couldn’t concentrate. My mind wasn’t into it. I was made at the coach.:lmao Makes me wonder about this game and what the Spurs going to do if it's close towards the end

Ditty
11-21-2010, 05:00 PM

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2010/04/dwight-howard-upset-with-fans-refs-spurs.html

:lmao Makes me wonder about this game and what the Spurs going to do if it's close towards the end

I wouldn't be suprised if they did the same thing, especially if it's close and the magic shooters are hot, haven't seen howards free throw shooting this year but haven't heard anything so it stilll must be bad.

duncan228
11-21-2010, 05:08 PM
...haven't seen howards free throw shooting this year but haven't heard anything so it stilll must be bad.

Think it's around 54% this season.

crc21209
11-21-2010, 05:08 PM

:lmao Makes me wonder about this game and what the Spurs going to do if it's close towards the end

I was at that game last season, on my birthday. EPIC regular season game...it was a true test for the Spurs and the refs were fucking them over big time with BS foul calls on Timmy, which led to Pop's ejection, which led to the crowd yelling "Refs you suck!." One of the best regular season games I've been to...

gospursgojas
11-21-2010, 05:26 PM
I remember he tried fighting Bud.

Libri
11-21-2010, 05:49 PM
According 82 games, Howard gets 69% of his shots inside. The key will be to keep him away from the paint, which is a difficult task. Even if Splitter gets called for fouls, I would still like to see him against Howard. Besides, Howard is a pathetic free throw shooter.

SpursRulez4eVeR
11-21-2010, 06:26 PM
manu got craaaazzzzzyy last time the spurs and magic met...
DTwOhXQpl-Q
:toast

duncan228
11-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Orlando (9-3) at San Antonio (11-1) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2010112224)
Tipoff: 8:30 pm EST Mon Nov 22, 2010
TV: FSFL, FSSW
By Kate Hedlin

The San Antonio Spurs wanted to avoid the kind of uneven beginning that contributed to their early ouster from the playoffs last season. They’ve certainly done that with the best start in franchise history that includes a 10-game winning streak.

The Spurs look to match their longest run in almost three years when they take on the surging Orlando Magic in a matchup of conference leaders Monday night.

The Spurs (11-1) beat Cleveland 116-92 on Saturday, as Tony Parker scored 19 points to lead six San Antonio players in double figures. It was the team’s most lopsided victory of the season.

“Great run for us,” forward Tim Duncan said. “It’s a good start for us. There’s going to be some ups and downs this season, but this team is built on what we did last year.”

San Antonio has clearly been determined to avert a repeat of last season’s 6-6 start, which forced the Spurs to battle down the stretch just to end up with the No. 7 seed in the Western Conference. They defeated Dallas in the first round but were swept by Phoenix after that.

After San Antonio played Friday night in Utah, Duncan was limited to 17 minutes and had eight points and five assists against the Cavaliers. That allowed rookie big man Tiago Splitter to step up, and he delivered with 18 points and five rebounds in 27 minutes.

He and Duncan will likely share the defensive responsibility against Orlando’s Dwight Howard, who averaged just 9.5 points and 6.5 rebounds against the Spurs last season.

Despite its aging core, San Antonio is second in the NBA with 107.8 points per game. Last season they averaged 101.4.

A rejuvenated Parker has been a big reason for the jump. After being limited to 56 games last season due to injuries, he’s averaging 19.1 points and 7.7 assists in 2010-11. He scored at least 20 points in five straight games before going 7 of 11 from the field in 28 minutes Saturday.

The Spurs, seeking their longest win streak since taking 11 straight from Feb. 11-March 6, 2008, will be facing a Magic team that has limited opponents to a league-low 90.3 points a game and given up 100 or more only twice.

Orlando (9-3) is coming off a 90-86 road win over Indiana on Saturday, its fourth consecutive victory. The Magic limited the Pacers to 34 points in the second half and 39.3 percent shooting overall, allowing Orlando to overcome the fact that it was held to 91 points or fewer for the third time during the win streak.

“We have a lot of grind-it-out wins,” coach Stan Van Gundy said. “We’re not scoring a lot offensively. On the positive side, towards the end of the season, come playoff time, we’ve got to learn to win those games.”

Howard had 25 points and 12 rebounds and Rashard Lewis added 21 points. Vince Carter, however, was held to less than 10 points for the second time this season, finishing with eight on 3-of-12 shooting. He’s averaging 8.8 points on the road compared to 17.3 at home.

The Magic have won three in a row away from Orlando.

“We’ve been a pretty good road team over the years since I’ve been here, especially since Stan’s been here,” said point guard Jameer Nelson, who converted a go-ahead three-point play with 33 seconds left. “It’s hard to go on the road because you don’t have the energy coming from your fans. It’s good to win games with your defense and your intensity.”

The Magic, though, lost 112-100 at San Antonio on April 2 to fall to 4-18 all-time on the road in the series. Manu Ginobili had 43 points, six rebounds and five assists in that contest.

Orlando beat the Spurs 110-84 at home March 17.

Team Stat Leaders

Manu Ginobili SA 20.0

Rebounds
Dwight Howard Orl 11.1
Tim Duncan SA 9.6

Assists
Jameer Nelson Orl 6.6
Tony Parker SA 7.7

AussieFanKurt
11-21-2010, 07:51 PM
I don't see why Spurs can't win. Howard is withheld = spurs win

Cessation
11-21-2010, 08:15 PM
With howard mediocre offensive game, we should be able to cover him with blair, timmeh, dice, and splitter, well enough. If we stay on shooters and have him try to beat us, well have a good chance to get the win. Also, with the way spurs have been taking it to the hole this year, hell probably get in foul trouble.

Dex
11-21-2010, 08:18 PM
I don't see why Spurs can't win. Howard is withheld = spurs win

Two points of focus when facing this incarnation of the Magic: check Dwight Howard in the post, and close out on shooters on the arc.

Unfortunately, those are tasks that are hard to do at the same time, which is why the Magic are a good team.

Luckily, the Spurs have a lot of different weapons on the front-line to throw at him. I'd really like to see how Tiago would fare against Howard. Dwight doesn't have a lot of polished post moves; his buckets come off easy shots and that chippy hook (as well as a new banker he has borrowed from Timmy). If Splitter can limit these attempts (which he seems capable of doing with his defensive presence), then that could have a large effect on the outcome.

11-21-2010, 08:31 PM
this next week will be a good indicator of where the spurs are. orlando, hornets, and the mavs are all the upper tier playoff teams.

duncan228
11-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Early Season Benchmark (http://www.nba.com/magic/news/steele_blog_112110.html)
David Steele
Magic.com

...*Can the Magic slow down the red hot San Antonio offense? The Spurs are averaging 108 points per game (2nd to the Lakers) while shooting 43% threes. They are the second most efficient offense in the NBA while playing at a much faster pace than a season ago (last year- 20th, this year-7th in possessions per 48 minutes). The Magic, on the other hand, are the most efficient defensive team in the NBA. The Spurs like to fast-break (20 points per game). The Magic focus on denying fast break baskets (Orlando allows just 8.1 fast break points per game). This should be a classic confrontation.

*There are two terrific matchups when the Magic meet the Spurs. Dwight Howard faces Tim Duncan and Jameer Nelson goes head to head with Tony Parker. The 24 year old Howard is having his best season in the NBA, while the 34 year old Duncan may have lost a half-step, but is still very talented and craftier than ever. Howard and Duncan are 6-6 in head to head matchups between the Magic and Spurs. The point guard battle between Nelson and Parker is no less intriguing. Nelson is on a tear since missing two games with an ankle injury, averaging 15.3 points and 7.3 assists per game while shooting 49% (45% threes) in Orlando’s last 6 games. Parker has been San Antonio’s early season MVP, averaging 19.1 points and 7.7 assists per game while shooting a sizzling 54% from the field. It is almost impossible to keep either player from penetrating to the basket. The team that defends that dribble penetration the best will have the advantage.

*Orlando vs. San Antonio is a battle of the benches. Both teams rely heavily on their talented reserves. Brandon Bass, Mickael Pietrus, J.J. Redick, Chris Duhon and Marcin Gortat can make the difference for Orlando on any given night. Likewise, George Hill, Antonio McDyess, Matt Bonner, Tiago Splitter and Gary Neal are key players off the bench for the Spurs. Splitter is a 25 year old rookie we’ve been hearing about for years. Rumored to be headed to the NBA since about 2003, I had begun to wonder if he really existed. The talented Brazilian was drafted by the Spurs in 2007, finally debuts in the NBA three years later. Splitter is coming off his best game of the season, 18 points and 5 rebounds against Cleveland. As for Neal, he’s a 26 year old rookie who has been playing overseas for the last three seasons. The former Colonial Athletic Association player of the year at Towson State is shooting 44% from beyond the arc.

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/steele_blog_112110.html

migol
11-21-2010, 10:34 PM
I think the Spurs are most likely to lose to the Magic if they are going to lose in the next five games. But if the Spurs do win against Orlando, I think they are going to win defensively. I doubt they will even score 100 points against them. I think that if this happens the rest of the league is going to start taking the Spurs a bit more seriously now. I can't wait to see this. I don't think I've ever been as excited as I am now in any Spurs championship season. I don't want to jinx it, but I still like this team a lot.

strosFan2
11-22-2010, 12:31 AM
If they can stop Howard in the paint, they will win. Other than that, i think they match up well and could get the win.

OrEmuN
11-22-2010, 12:47 AM
If Timmeh, Splitter, Dice can keep Howard quiet, we have a good chance because
Manu > Vince at this time.

Rapper
11-22-2010, 12:58 AM
tough game, tough game

11-22-2010, 01:09 AM
howard has added this weird bank shot to his game. if he makes those and his free throws, the magic will be pretty much unstoppable.

timtonymanurich
11-22-2010, 02:02 AM
I could definitely see this as the NBA Finals in June.

TDMVPDPOY
11-22-2010, 02:07 AM
spurs will win this game easily

d12 has no answer for blair and splitter down low

migol
11-22-2010, 02:42 AM
this next week will be a good indicator of where the spurs are. orlando, hornets, and the mavs are all the upper tier playoff teams.

I agree. But I'd say that even if the Spurs lose it will not determine anything. Unless of course, they lose against all the best opponents. I think worse case scenario would be the Spurs lose 2 against those three you mentioned, with Spurs beating the Mavericks at home.

I'd also go on to say that even if the Spurs beat the Magic it still doesn't determine anything. What probably matters more is the way they win. I'd like to see them win convincingly against the Magic. Miami only allowed Magic to score about 70 points. I'd like to see something similar from the Spurs, or at least a double digit win.

mingus
11-22-2010, 03:41 AM
This game means absolutely nothing. Games on the road are the important games. The wins against OKC and Utah are more meaningful than this one.

migol
11-22-2010, 05:19 AM
This game means absolutely nothing. Games on the road are the important games. The wins against OKC and Utah are more meaningful than this one.

Yeah, you might have a point. But what if the Spurs lose bad at home Monday night? Will that mean anything?

mingus
11-22-2010, 05:28 AM
Yeah, you might have a point. But what if the Spurs lose bad at home Monday night? Will that mean anything?

It would probably indicate the Magic are the better team. But I was basing my claim on my assumtion that the Spurs would win.

I really think this Magic team is overrated. I've seen them lose Some ugly road games. Last year against SA was one of them.

futureAE
11-22-2010, 05:37 AM
If we can beat the magic it would be our quality win that could really put us on the radar. We all know how the league fanboys are gaga over the celtics, lakers, heat, and magic. I like this game, could be the best one yet!

FilSpursFan
11-22-2010, 07:25 AM
I can see Orlando winning this game... They are better than the Spurs. (There! I jinxed the Magics now)

pawe
11-22-2010, 11:02 AM
We have Hack a Dwight. What do they have?

Bruno
11-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Orlando is the best defensive team in the league. Howard allows them to defend the paint without leaving perimeter players open. I'm curious to see how Spurs will do against them.

A My key player will be Rashard Lewis. He has had a bad start of the season but if he is in a good day, he is a matchup nightmare for Spurs. He could force Spurs to go small.

Spursfanfromafar
11-22-2010, 11:29 AM
A My key player will be Rashard Lewis. He has had a bad start of the season but if he is in a good day, he is a matchup nightmare for Spurs. He could force Spurs to go small.

Yes, He seems to have done relatively well against the Spurs in the near past -

http://bit.ly/b8hSTU (from Basketball-reference)

sandman
11-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Outside of ATL, the games in the W column for the Magic are suspect.

Their last 3 road wins were against not good teams (CHA, NJ, IND = 14-23) with a margin of 8 points. TOTAL. For the three games.

Only 3 of their 12 opponents have had winning records (MIA, ATL, UTH) and they are 1-2 against those teams.

They have no quality road wins.

Not understanding the 'OH NOES IT'S THE MAGIC!!!!1!' that some posters are having about this team. Howard being 'on' inside and their shooters being 'on' outside doesn't seem to be happening for them this year, because they have one quality win and are struggling to close out bad teams on the road.

shelshor
11-22-2010, 11:47 AM
http://www.nba.com/news/referee.html
Referee Assignments
Mon. Nov. 22
Orlando @ San Antonio: Greg Willard; Mark Ayotte; Courtney Kirkland

Leonard Curse
11-22-2010, 12:28 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if they did the same thing, especially if it's close and the magic shooters are hot, haven't seen howards free throw shooting this year but haven't heard anything so it stilll must be bad.

thats one thing i like about pop he doesnt give a shit if he looks like a douche for doing it, and mike has learned these principles, haha and they do it with suh a serious look on their face howard was pissed.

yeah when timmys not playing we need tiagos big body in there caue i dont see anyone else being able to stand up to howard i mean can u imagine bonner of blair matchup??

BlairForceDejuan
11-22-2010, 12:29 PM
We have plenty of bigs to play Hack-a-Ho.

Pauleta14
11-22-2010, 12:44 PM
I think the key will be defending the 3s...

For both teams

Spurs Brazil
11-22-2010, 02:00 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN
If Nelson is head of snake for ORL, what's Dwight Howard? Pop: "They've got a 2-headed snake." #spurs

duncan228
11-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Advanced Scouting: Orlando Magic at San Antonio Spurs (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/advanced-scouting-orlando-magic-san-antonio-spurs)
by Scott Sereday
48 Minutes of Hell

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/advanced-scouting-orlando-magic-san-antonio-spurs

Seventyniner
11-22-2010, 05:03 PM
My memory of last year's home game against the Magic was a Magic player (Carter or Lewis?) shooting a halfcourt shot at the buzzer (halftime or 3rd quarter); normally those kind of shots are short, but this one went well over the backboard and into the 15th row. I thought that was hilarious!

duncan228
11-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Retooled Howard will provide big challenge for Spurs (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/22/retooled-howard-will-provide-big-challenge-for-spurs/)
by Tim Griffin

...“Dwight is a serious player. He’s gotten better every year and he knows what he needs to work on and he’s done that, ” San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said. “He’s done what all great players do, they come back every year after the summer and are a little bit better than they were before. He’s no exception.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/22/retooled-howard-will-provide-big-challenge-for-spurs/

AlleyOopNazi
11-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Denton: Howard Looks to Emulate Duncan

http://www.nba.com/magic/photos/howardspurs_300_112210.jpg

By John Denton
November 22, 2010

SAN ANTONIO – The moment is sure to come on Monday night when Orlando Magic superstar Dwight Howard will take the ball in the post, turn and stare down San Antonio Spurs legend Tim Duncan and deftly kiss a shot off the glass.

And most likely, the two Goliaths and friends from their days together as Adidas pitchmen will share a chuckle all the way down to the other end of the floor.

Still a few weeks shy of his 25th birthday, Howard looks at the likes of the 34-year-old Duncan as a gold standard of centers. The first consensus All-NBA pick in Magic history feels that he is just now about to enter his prime and the face-up bank shot off the glass is just one of many ways that Howard wants to emulate Duncan.

Like Duncan, Howard knows that his legacy will be dependent more so on his championship hardware than any rebounding titles or dunk contests awards. Howard looks at a center like Duncan who is nearing the twilight of his career and knows that now is his time to grab the NBA by the throat and strangle every bit of success out of it as possible.

Criticized at times for his playful nature, Howard turned serious this season as he chases a championship. And he became a student of the low-post game in the offseason, doing more listening than talking, more thinking than laughing. He drilled with Hakeem Olajuwon and Karl Malone on the court, and away from it listened to words of wisdom from seasoned big men like Dikembe Mutombo and Tony Battie.

``(Mutombo) was talking to me about getting the best out of myself now while I’m young and have all of the things that I have,’’ said Howard, whose Magic (9-3) face Duncan and the red-hot Spurs (11-1) Monday night in Texas. ``He wasn’t just talking about jumping, dunking and blocking shots. He was talking about a guy like K.G. (Kevin Garnett), whose best years came when he got to Boston. Even though he’s faced a couple of injuries, he won a title and got to The Finals. I don’t want to say that (Garnett) waited too late … but my window of opportunity is now and I want to take advantage of it. I want to take advantage of all my gifts, and that’s what I have to do.’’

Monday night’s matchup between the Magic and Spurs will pit the two teams with the best records in the Eastern and Western Conferences. Orlando has won eight of 10 and four in a row, including Saturday’s hard-fought 90-86 win in Indiana. And the Spurs are the hottest team in the NBA, having won 10 in a row.

Howard got good practice for Monday’s matchup against Duncan by facing the vastly improved Roy Hibbert on Saturday night. The Magic center had to play through some early foul trouble and a fast start by Hibbert, but Howard dominated the second half and finished predictably with another monster game statistically (25 points, 12 rebounds, three blocked shots, 11 free throw attempts and three offensive boards).

``In the first half, my foul trouble was stupid, reaching instead of going for blocks, just throwing people out of the way. That’s stuff I shouldn’t be doing,’’ Howard said. ``In the second half, I just tried to beat him (Hibbert) down the court, seal and force him to foul me and send me to the free throw line. He had a good first half. I just didn’t want him to have that same second half.’’

Howard’s noticeable determination and sense of urgency led to him working tirelessly this past summer to greatly expand his game. The mid-range jump shot, an idea borrowed from Duncan, has gotten the lion’s share of the attention, but it’s the other aspects of Howard’s growth that has fueled his improvement. Already, he’s displayed more combination moves and shots off fakes in 12 games than he did last season. And his game now is one more of poise than just simply power.

``He has more variety in his offense, but there’s a lot more of a poise, a calm and a patience in his game,’’ Magic coach Stan Van Gundy said of Howard, whose 21.2-point scoring average would be the highest of his career. ``He’s not rushing and forcing things now. There’s been very few times where he’s tried to just bull his way through two guys and tried to get to the rim. He’s much more patient making the play that’s there, taking the shot that’s there and making the pass that’s there. It’s just a much more mature game, I think.’’

And that’s where Duncan comes in. No big man has dominated the game the way Duncan has while taking such a mature and cerebral approach. Duncan is a two-time MVP and a four-time NBA champion, but that seems like almost a lifetime away with Duncan aging and the Los Angeles Lakers grabbing control in the Western Conference.

Duncan’s numbers are down to pedestrian levels by Hall of Famer of his ilk, averaging just 13.7 points and 9.6 rebounds in 29.2 minutes a game. On the second night of a back-to-back on Saturday, Duncan played just 17 minutes and scored only eight points.

Howard sees how Duncan’s game has transformed through the years, and he knows his time is now to make his mark much the way the San Antonio star did while ranking 28th all-time in scoring (20,805 points), 25th in rebounding (11,450) and 11th in blocked shots (2,259).

Howard said he looks at players like Duncan and thinks about his own basketball mortality. And his mission is clear: The time is now before he’s too old to do something about it.

``I think about longevity, but I’ve put in a lot of work already and these legs have a lot of years on them to be just 24,’’ Howard said with a chuckle. ``There is a lot of stuff that I want to do, but I want to start it now instead of waiting until I’m 35 or 40. The time is now, and I have a window of opportunity.

``While I have the opportunity, you want to explore new things,’’ Howard continued. ``I’m more than just a basketball player, so there’s more than me just playing until I’m 40 to get a paycheck. I’ll never play for that reason. But I love the game and I’ll play it until I can’t walk.’’

John Denton writes for OrlandoMagic.com. E-mail John at [email protected]. Submit a question to John for his mailbag segment at [email protected].

duncan228
11-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Denton: Howard Looks to Emulate Duncan

I’m just glad that I will be out of the league when he is peaking.

duncan228
11-22-2010, 06:31 PM
NBA PM: Titans Set To Clash (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17980)
By: Yannis Koutroupis
Hoopsworld

Magic Prepped For Spurs: The San Antonio Spurs and Orlando Magic faceoff tonight in a matchup between two of the league's best. The Magic (9-3) have the top record in the East, while the Spurs (11-1) are tied for the top spot out West with the New Orleans Hornets.

The Spurs, currently riding a ten-game winning streak, look differently than they have traditionally. The core of Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker is still the same, but as a team they're pushing the tempo a lot more than they have in the past. Previously the Spurs would look to play a methodical style and beat teams with their defense. Now they're outscoring teams thanks to having so many capable players offensively.

"They're playing great offensively, as well as we've probably ever seen them play," Magic head coach Stan Van Gundy told HOOPSWORLD. "They're shooting 43% from field and are second or third in the league in fast break points. Tony and Manu are playing tremendous basketball. They have a lot of shooters around them. It's a very, very good team. They're obviously playing as well as anybody in the league. They have the best record in the league; they've won 10 in a row. It's a very good team."

The last time these two teams met up was on April 2nd when Ginobili erupted for 43 points in a 112-100 Spurs' victory. So far this year Ginobili is off to a fantastic start, leading the Spurs in scoring at 20 a night.

"I don't have any idea," responded Van Gundy when asked about how to slow down Ginobili. "We tried the same things you do on anybody. Pick-and-roll defense has to be good. You have to play him, stop his cuts. You have to stop them in transition and you have to do as good of a job as you can on your pick-and-roll defense, which is a tough job with him and Parker.

"He's a very, very difficult matchup. (Michael Pietrus and Quentin Richardson) are going to have to do their job, be solid, not give them easy things and our team defense is going to have to be great."

Parker was out with an ankle injury for both contests against the Magic last year. Like Ginobili, he's been hot out of the gates (19 ppg and seven apg) and is someone who the Magic are really going to have to focus in on stopping as well.

"(Parker) adds another dimension to their team when you have a guy that's getting (around) 18 and eight," said Magic point guard Jameer Nelson, who is going to have the defensive assignment of Parker.

"He's one of the guys that tries to get into the paint all night. I just try to contain him as much as I can alone but also get (help)."

While this game could be a potential NBA Finals preview if both teams keep up with their current pace, Nelson is looking at this just as another game and nothing more.

"We're just going to come out and play our game," said Nelson. "We know they're a great team offensively and probably even better defensively so we just want to stick with what we do on both ends of the court and be aggressive.

"I never thought about (both teams having the best records). Regardless you play a San Antonio and Orlando game it's going to be big because you know the teams are good despite the records. Both are going to be prepared with good coaching staffs, two of the best in the game."

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17980

celldweller
11-22-2010, 06:47 PM
If Timmeh, Splitter, Dice can keep Howard quiet, we have a good chance because
Manu > Vince at this time.

Manu > Vince at this time or any time, except in a dunk contest.