PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Tops CBS's Power Rankings

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-21-2010, 07:04 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/14306747/power-rankings-spurs-mavs-make-way-to-top-of-heap

Power Rankings: Spurs, Mavs make way to top of heap

By Dave Del Grande
Special to CBSSports.com

Twelve games into its season, college football picks two teams to compete for the championship.

Imagine if the NBA, which for the most part reaches that same stage of its campaign this week, chose to go that route today.

Who would be reaching for the rings?

Some would say it should be the Heat and Lakers, because they got all the preseason hype and, with LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Kobe Bryant headlining, probably would put on a nice show. But the Heat have yet to demonstrate the three-man-team concept can be successful and the Lakers recently dropped consecutive games to the Nuggets and Suns.

They're out.

In the East, you'd probably have to go with the Celtics. But who said anything about having to have representatives from both conferences battling it out?

According to my BCS-style ratings, the Hornets, Spurs and Mavericks all have had better seasons than the Celts. And then there's Utah, which last week went east and toppled two of the powers -- the Heat and Magic -- on consecutive nights.

Well, I'm throwing out the Hornets because they are the Boise State of the NBA. One loss and they're dismissed.

And while the Jazz's road feat was impressive, they went home and gave part of it back, losing Monday to the Thunder.

So I'm going with the only two teams that remain unbeaten on the road this season -- the league's hottest club (the Spurs, winners of seven in a row) against the guys who just knocked off the Hornets (the Mavs, who also have taken down the Celtics).

Who you picking?

You're probably not surprised to hear, after a major shake-up, the Spurs and Mavericks rank 1-2 in this week's CBSSports.com NBA Power Rankings.

But David Del Grande goes on to say...

"Cause for concern: Gregg Popovich probably wishes the season did end today. All his fragile aging stars are healthy. Imagine that. It can't last long."

11-21-2010, 08:26 PM
i think this ranking is almost a week old. mavs shouldn't be that high.