PDA

View Full Version : Is It Safe To Say......

emveepee
05-24-2005, 10:53 PM
ITS OVER!?!?! :smokin

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-24-2005, 10:54 PM
No.

E20
05-24-2005, 10:55 PM
Hellllll No!

IceColdBrewski
05-24-2005, 10:56 PM
That's what Houston fans thought after taking the first 2 in Dallas.

Hook Dem
05-24-2005, 10:57 PM
No.......but I'd hate to be the Suns!

smeagol
05-24-2005, 10:59 PM
No, gumbie.

pooh
05-24-2005, 11:02 PM
Is it over...sad to say it but yes it is. Phoenix will not win a game here at SBC Center. Sit back and get ready for Detroit.

Dex
05-24-2005, 11:03 PM
Only if they changed Conference Finals to best of three series.

Tek_XX
05-24-2005, 11:04 PM
It's close...but no.

Spurs need to outscore them two more times and that is still tough

atlfan25
05-24-2005, 11:06 PM
no, this is no time to relax, only to bear down harder

MadDog73
05-24-2005, 11:07 PM
Question is: How can PHX play better than they did tonight? 56% shooting. Tied Spurs in rebounds (34). One less assist (29). Twice as many blocks (9)!?!

Amare scores 37, Nash scores 29. I mean, I don't want to get overconfident, so please tell me how the Suns can play better ball!?!

Dex
05-24-2005, 11:09 PM
It's not about them playing better.

It's about the Spurs playing worse.

We're more likely to beat ourselves, than we are to get beat.

hendrix
05-24-2005, 11:12 PM
Question is: How can PHX play better than they did tonight? 56% shooting. Tied Spurs in rebounds (34). One less assist (29). Twice as many blocks (9)!?!

Amare scores 37, Nash scores 29. I mean, I don't want to get overconfident, so please tell me how the Suns can play better ball!?!

It is over... If needed, Manu will pull a 50-point game.

MadDog73
05-24-2005, 11:13 PM
It's not about them playing better.

It's about the Spurs playing worse.

We're more likely to beat ourselves, than we are to get beat.

Agreed. But the scary thing is, I don't think the Spurs have played their "A" game consistently yet. (They have for stretches. Luckily those stretches seem to be at the end of the game). :elephant

Brodels
05-24-2005, 11:20 PM

They can be way better defensively. It's hard to imagine that happening right now, but if they play good defense, they can win games.

You are looking at one end of the floor and thinking that the Suns played well. They did play well offensively, but defense if 50% of the game.

Nikos
05-24-2005, 11:21 PM
It's not over. But its a hell of a lot better to get 2 in Phoenix as opposed to leaving with a split.

samikeyp
05-24-2005, 11:23 PM
not until the Spurs win 4....until then, anything can happen.

nkdlunch
05-24-2005, 11:23 PM

You know this is a 7 game series right?

Slomo
05-24-2005, 11:33 PM
"Safe"? Hell no!

exstatic
05-24-2005, 11:36 PM
Phoenix will have to win four out of five with a run and gun, no defense, 7 man rotation squad. Not going to happen.

Chris
05-24-2005, 11:38 PM
I predicted Spurs in 5, but the way things are looking I really can't see Phoenix winning two in our house after 72 hours.

Slomo
05-24-2005, 11:41 PM
Phoenix will have to win four out of five with a run and gun, no defense, 7 man rotation squad. Not going to happen.
While I share your opinion, I still wouldn't call it safe.

Spurminator
05-24-2005, 11:45 PM
It's a nice cushion, but I maintain my position that Homecourt means jack shit in this series... the same position that I held while several posters were bemoaning the fact that we did not lock up the #1 seed.

exstatic
05-24-2005, 11:59 PM
Hey, I'm not even calling sweep. Phoenix may take a game or two. They won't take four.

emveepee
05-25-2005, 10:14 AM
After losses like that, Phoenix has to be really down and out mentally. Let's hope our Spurs go for the sweep.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-25-2005, 10:16 AM
It's not safe to say it's over simply because Stephen A. Smith said it was, and he is a dumb ass of Waltonistic proportions.

ducks
05-25-2005, 10:21 AM
I am saying sweep at this point
spurs will be forcused on game 3 because suns should have joe johnson back
another thing is tp said that houston was up 2-0 and lost to dallas
spurs win game 3

MiNuS
05-25-2005, 10:22 AM
It's over?Sweep? Please..... pleeeeeeeease re-run game 5 vs Lakers from last years playoffs. No such thing!
I know Pop is reminding them again and again about last year's series lost to the Lakers. It wasn't the WCF but it might as well been.

easjer
05-25-2005, 10:24 AM
Uh, no. Not at all. Granted, I think the series is done. I cannot conceive of a way for Pheonix to win four of the next five, short of disaster on the flight home or some really bad things happening to a lot of players at the same time.

But the Spurs can certainly not be complacent. They can be beat, particularly by themselves. They are good, but hardly unstoppable. There are a few things Pheonix can do to improve without drastic changes (such as trying harder for defensive rebounds and denying Nazr the offensive board, and doing more to pass the ball outside of Steve Nash) that might give them those four points they were missing last night.

We may be a great home team, but they are a great road team. Can they win the series? Hell no. Can they make the rest of the series miserable for the Spurs, tiring them out before a tough finals series? Hell yes.

Not safe to say it's over by a long shot.

Extra Stout
05-25-2005, 10:31 AM
The reason the Spurs have been successful in the first two games is because they have shown the proper respect for Phoenix and have played at a level commensurate with that. If that continues, it's over.

But if the Spurs start feeling too good about themselves and don't regard Phoenix with the proper fear in Game 3, then the Suns can get back in it.

The Spurs have been through this too many times to let up. They will take care of business.

boutons
05-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Suns have to win 4 of 5, including at least 3 W's @SBC.

Insurmountable, ain't gonna happen, even with faux-savior JJ playing at 100% from Game3 on.

Let's win in 4, hoping the Heat can take the Pistons to 6 or 7, giving Tim's ankles and everybody's dings more time to rest.

MiNuS
05-25-2005, 10:38 AM
I hate hearing that Phoenix is a great road team(31-10) and they also had the same home record of(31-10).Yet they lost at home to the Spurs which in the regular season didn't have a great road record(21-20).Oh but those commentators seem to think that the Suns 31-10 on the road can beat a Spur team @ the SBC where they are 38-03.

Boy last night Steve Nash was almost inducted into the Hall of Fame with all the ass kissing from ESPN.He has scored over 25 points in 6 straight games?SO????? That's like not expecting the old Houston Oilers under Moon not to put up 400 plus yards everytime they play.

Gimme a f-ing break!

spurster
05-25-2005, 11:08 AM
It's not over until it's over.

MiNuS
05-25-2005, 11:11 AM
It's not over until it's over.

remember:

"one lucky shot deserves another"-Shaq..after game 5 - 2004

sa_butta
05-25-2005, 11:19 AM
remember:

"one lucky shot deserves another"-Shaq..after game 5 - 2004Although this is true, I fucking hated when Shaq said that shit. Im not even going to talk about that game.

SirChaz
05-26-2005, 01:04 AM

How about not turning the ball over 11 times in the first half or blowing fast break opportunities on Spurs turnovers? How about contesting a couple more shots?

How about Joe Johnson's return? Marion with 20-10 or Richardson with 15 on 5 threes?

If the Suns ever play close to a complete game in this series they will beat the Spurs, Home or away makes no difference.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-26-2005, 01:10 AM
Never call it until the curtain is down! Most said we were through after game 2 with the Lakers last year...

And the Suns will be better with Joey J. He is important to them in many small ways.

Let's just hold off the crowing until it's sewn up.

Dingle Barry
05-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Boy last night Steve Nash was almost inducted into the Hall of Fame with all the ass kissing from ESPN.He has scored over 25 points in 6 straight games?SO????? That's like not expecting the old Houston Oilers under Moon not to put up 400 plus yards everytime they play.

Gimme a f-ing break!

Your paragraph before this one was a solid argument, but this is just extreme homerism. Nash is playing beautiful offensive basketball right now. It's not 25 points for 6 straight games that is impressive, its his streak of 25 points and 15 assists.

boutons
05-26-2005, 02:28 PM
"Nash is playing beautiful offensive basketball right now"

MVP's been doing it all year, putting in more MPG, and doesn't seem to get tired the our guys do.

What's up?

Catharsis
05-26-2005, 05:00 PM
In '95 the Suns were up 3-1 in the conf semi-finals to Houston. They said it was over and started preparing for the conf finals. Needless to say, Houston won the next three games with two on the road. They went on to win the championship for a second straight year.

I don't think the Suns can do that, but words cannot express the difference Joe Johnson makes to this lineup. They lost two games with a six man rotation where they led going into the 4th quarter. Someone of Johnson's abilities and impact will be a difference maker...but it's hard to win games in San Antonio as the visiting team. Honestly, I don't know how Phx won in six games against Dallas considering the Mavs are almost as deep as the Spurs, but I think Avery Johnson may have had something to do with it--no offense to the former Spurs. Popps just knows more about exploiting a weakness.

Series isn't over, but it doesn't look good for Phoenix. If the Suns somehow win the next two games, though, that would be incredible--for me at least :eyebrows

Catharsis
05-26-2005, 05:04 PM
In addition, the Rockets went on to play the Spurs in the '95 conf finals and took a 2-0 lead as the visiting team. San Antonio went on to win the next two in Houston to tie it up at 2-2. The Spurs then lost the next two games (one at home one in Houston). So a 2-0 lead going home doesn't necessarily mean it's a lock...but that was a couple years before Duncan.

cherylsteele
05-26-2005, 07:04 PM
It is not over until one team wins 4 games first...however....we are sitting pretty right now.

Suns will obviously come out in game 3 with purpose and the Spurs must ride out that initial wave of suns' emotion.......we will be okay.

Joe Johnson may make a difference, but it will not be enough.....that gives the Suns one solid bench player vs. 3-4 for the Spurs....it would not surprise me to see the Suns win one in this series......but a sweep is looking more and more possible.

Catharsis
05-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Joe Johnson may make a difference, but it will not be enough.....that gives the Suns one solid bench player vs. 3-4 for the Spurs....it would not surprise me to see the Suns win one in this series......but a sweep is looking more and more possible.

Johnson would most likely become the starter (again) and Jim Jackson would come off the bench. Wasn't sure if you thought Johnson was the bench player or not.

cherylsteele
05-26-2005, 07:17 PM
Johnson would most likely become the starter (again) and Jim Jackson would come off the bench. Wasn't sure if you thought Johnson was the bench player or not.

I wasn't sure but.....IMHO I still don't think it will make a very big difference.
The actual make-up of the Suns doesn't change a whole lot either way.

Catharsis
05-26-2005, 07:53 PM
I wasn't sure but.....IMHO I still don't think it will make a very big difference.
The actual make-up of the Suns doesn't change a whole lot either way.

It keeps them from feeling fatigue in the 4th and gives them their second best defender back--which is what they really need.

mikester
05-26-2005, 07:56 PM
Do you guys really think that JJ will make that much of a difference in Game 3? I think he's going to have a rough time in that mask, under game conditions. I just don't see it happening. He might actually shoot them out of the game. Missed jumpers=long rebounds=fast break points.

Catharsis
05-26-2005, 08:06 PM
Do you guys really think that JJ will make that much of a difference in Game 3? I think he's going to have a rough time in that mask, under game conditions. I just don't see it happening. He might actually shoot them out of the game. Missed jumpers=long rebounds=fast break points.

He's been practicing with the mask for over a week. He said he can shoot fine and the only problem he has with it is the sweat. The trainers also simulated some game action with him where they hit him in the face to help him get over the psychological part of wearing the mask. It might actually make him play with Manu's physicality.

SirChaz
05-26-2005, 08:52 PM
The Suns success is based on their five starters. They are at a serious disadvantage with only four available.

The Suns managed to escape from Dallas without Johnson and I think many people don't realize or have forgotten how important Johnson is to this team.

The big question is not if Joe can help the Suns. The question is how effective can he be after an injury like that.

The Suns have shown they can score against San Antonio. I would like to see them make San Antonio put up 120 every game to win. I am not convinced the Spurs can keep up that pace.

boutons
05-26-2005, 08:58 PM
Spurs defense will be much tougher @SBC. I'm sure the Spurs are working on defensive schemes, watching the tapes from the first 2 games to see where they can do better. The Suns will not score at the high end of the capability @SBC.

Willinsa
05-26-2005, 09:17 PM
In addition, the Rockets went on to play the Spurs in the '95 conf finals and took a 2-0 lead as the visiting team. San Antonio went on to win the next two in Houston to tie it up at 2-2. The Spurs then lost the next two games (one at home one in Houston). So a 2-0 lead going home doesn't necessarily mean it's a lock...but that was a couple years before Duncan.

Good point, anything can happen in the next 2 games. We have to go in for the kill in game 3, I think if we win on Sat the series is all but over.

spurschick
05-26-2005, 11:36 PM
It's definitely too soon to say it's over - we still have a lot of work to do. However, wouldn't it be sweet to wear this shirt?
http://www.spurschick.com/westernchamps.jpg

midgetonadonkey
05-26-2005, 11:43 PM
The Suns success is based on their five starters. They are at a serious disadvantage with only four available.

The Suns managed to escape from Dallas without Johnson and I think many people don't realize or have forgotten how important Johnson is to this team.

The big question is not if Joe can help the Suns. The question is how effective can he be after an injury like that.

The Suns have shown they can score against San Antonio. I would like to see them make San Antonio put up 120 every game to win. I am not convinced the Spurs can keep up that pace.

Once the spurs decide to put the defensive clamps on, then it is over. So far the Spurs have been playing your game. Running and Gunning, and we have won. Once we turn this into a defensive series, this shit is OVA...and I don't throw around the term OVA very often.

Catharsis
05-26-2005, 11:55 PM
Once the spurs decide to put the defensive clamps on, then it is over. So far the Spurs have been playing your game. Running and Gunning, and we have won. Once we turn this into a defensive series, this shit is OVA...and I don't throw around the term OVA very often.

So I want this down for the record: has the Suns offense been poor thus far or has the Spurs defense been poor thus far? We all know the Suns defense is bad, but San Antonio has allowed an average of 111 pts per game against the Suns. That's a 22.6 pt difference from their opposing scorer average.

Johnson is a remarkable defender. He'd be the Suns' best of Marion wasn't a freak. Just a little bit of defense from the Suns would be huge for them.

Chris
05-27-2005, 12:02 AM
As stated earlier the Spur's defense will be a lot more intense at home.

If Phoenix defense gets any worse these next two games, Spurs will be winning by at least 8+ points in both.

One thing I'm wondering is when Marion is going to go off on us.

Catharsis
05-27-2005, 12:05 AM
One thing I'm wondering is when Marion is going to go off on us.

When Bowen has to start guarding Johnson.

I don't know if I buy the "defense will get better at home" statements, but I am looking forward to the best home record going against the best road record in their respective domains.

This IS the NBA Finals. :spin