PDA

View Full Version : Player by Player Analysis – Last 7 Games

timvp
11-22-2010, 05:42 AM
Player by Player Analysis – Last 7 Games (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/san-antonio-spurs-news/inside-the-spurs-player-by-player-analysis-last-7-games/)

By LJ Ellis (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/author/ljellis/) | San Antonio Dispatch

Tim Duncan
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/tim-duncan.jpg
26:48 mins, 10.9 points, 8.7 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 2.0 blocks, 1.9 turnovers
38.0% from the field, 69.6% at the line

The Spurs have been able to win their last seven games despite Tim Duncan’s scoring dipping to an alarmingly low rate. His slump began after suffering flu-like symptoms prior to the game against the Clippers. Fortunately, Duncan’s slump consists of one main issue: missing easy shots. Otherwise, Duncan has actually produced at a quality clip. He’s moving his feet on defense out on the perimeter in addition to doing very good work protecting the rim. On offense, Duncan is passing well, making good decisions and putting himself in good positions to score the rock. For reasons unknown, Duncan has simply blown chip shots he can usually sinks in his sleep. I don’t see any signs of injury or more than the usual amount of fatigue, so I believe it’s safe to assume Duncan is just going through a dry spell with the putter.

Manu Ginobili
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/manu-ginobili.jpg
31:40 mins, 19.3 points, 3.9 assists, 3.3 rebounds, 1.9 steals, 2.1 turnovers
48.8% from the field, 43.9% on three-pointers, 92.1% at the line

Manu Ginobili has been a scoring machine as of late, thanks in large part to his shot being as automatic as ever. When he’s hitting threes, the Argentine star becomes just about impossible to defend. With the threat of the step-back three-pointer, defenders are forced to guard him a foot or two closer. The result is clearer lanes to the basket when Ginobili decides to drive. When comparing his stats from last year to this year, the numbers are very similar. He’s shooting almost exactly the same amount of field goals and free throws per minute. The main difference is his shot selection. Ginobili is shooting three-pointers 23.7% more often than last season, which (combined with higher shooting percentages) has allowed him to score 6.8% more points per minute. His rates of assists, steals, blocks and turnovers are all right around his career rates. The only noticeable drop in production has been rebounding — a 31.1% drop from last season and 45% drop from two seasons ago. Defensively, Ginobili has been about average overall. His mistakes are usually negated with hustle plays only he can make.

Tony Parker
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/tony-parker.jpg
33:03 mins, 20.7 points, 7.1 assists, 3.9 rebounds, 1.9 steals, 2.1 turnovers
59.4% from the field, 1-for-1 on three-pointers, 75.0% at the line

Judging Tony Parker only by his play, no one would ever know he’s going through personal issues away from the court. Parker has been outstanding in all phases over the last seven games. He’s scoring efficiently without dominating the ball. He’s creating plays for others on a consistent basis without excessive turnovers. He’s defending better than he ever has in the regular season and he’s not getting in foul trouble or losing energy on the offensive end. For years, the coaching staff has urged Parker to use his speed as an asset on the defensive end just like he does on the other end. This season, we are finally seeing Parker do just that consistently. All in all, there’s not much to nitpick. More of the same would be appreciated by all.

Richard Jefferson
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/richard-jefferson.jpg
32:24 mins, 13.3 points, 4.0 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 0.9 blocks, 1.0 turnover
44.4% from the field, 35.7% on three-pointers, 84.4% at the line

Richard Jefferson isn’t as hot as he was to begin the season, however the good news is he’s not letting missed shots negatively affect his style of play. Jefferson isn’t hesitating on three-pointers, which is a vital trait for a small forward in San Antonio’s offense. He’s also getting out on the break at nearly every opportunity — a key reason why the Spurs are playing at such a fast pace. Jefferson’s most notable improvement on offense has been his aggressiveness taking the ball to the rim. When he has a rotating defender coming out to honor his jumper, Jefferson is taking it extremely hard to the hoop. Looking at his stats, it’s simple to see how his altered offensive gameplan has changed his production for the better. Jefferson is actually shooting less often than he did last season but he’s shooting three-pointers 66.7% more often and he’s getting to the line 39% more often. With his scoring per minute up 28.7%, Jefferson’s adjustments are paying off in a big way. Defensively, he has also shown improvement — most notably in transition defense. Jefferson is picking up his man early and looks much more aware of his surroundings on that end. An area of possible improvement on D is grabbing defensive rebounds. Compared to last season, he’s been poor in that category.

DeJuan Blair
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/dejuan-blair.jpg
21:49 mins, 7.9 points, 8.4 rebounds, 0.7 assists, 1.6 steals, 1.1 turnovers
47.2% from the field, 5-for-7 at the line

DeJuan Blair’s early season struggles have been well chronicled. The good news is Blair seems to have recovered from that putrid level of play and is beginning to play much better. In his last five games, he’s averaging more than 20 rebounds per 48 minutes and has connected on half of his shots from the field. That said, Blair continues to have massive problems on the defensive end. His lack of height makes it very difficult for him to defend the rim. To make matters worse, he isn’t moving his feet well out on the perimeter, which makes him a liability both against pick-and-rolls and versus perimeter-oriented players. The only times he is comfortable on defense is when he’s going against a bruiser with a similar skillset. Since Blair isn’t getting any taller, it’s a must that he gets more mobile and learns the defense to the point that he’s always a step early to his position. Add elite rebounding and smart offensive play … and then Blair has a chance to keep his starting gig on a long-term basis. Until then, his flaws will make it virtually impossible to justify Blair being a starter for the Spurs for the duration of the season.

George Hill
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/george-hill.jpg
27:06 mins, 8.6 points, 2.3 assists, 2.7 rebounds, 0.9 steals, 1.4 turnovers
40.4% from the field, 37.5% on three-pointers, 80.0% at the line

At times last season, George Hill appeared to be knocking on the door of stardom. This season, Hill has often been frustrating to watch. A lack of aggression has been the primary culprit. With the ball, Hill has been hesitating way too much. His trust in his three-point shot is tenuous at best. Even when confronted with open lanes to the basket, Hill isn’t consistently taking advantage. However, there is one thing Hill can’t control that causes Spurs fans (me included) to unfairly criticize: George Hill is not Manu Ginobili. When Ginobili comes off the bench, he enters the game with both guns ablazin’. If anything, Ginobili is even more aggressive off the bench than when he starts. Hill isn’t built that way — he’s like most every basketball player in the world in that coming off the bench hurts his rhythm and can cause him to be passive if he isn’t involved early. Looking at the big picture, there are reasons to be happy with Hill. Despite getting less touches, Hill is getting the line much more often, he’s handing out more assists and he rarely takes a bad shot. Defensively, he’s getting better and better as the season progresses. He’s rebounding much better than last year, he’s swiping more steals and he’s no longer nearly as foul-prone as he was earlier in his career. That’s not even mentioning how Hill plays three positions on both ends of the court and never backs down from a challenge. Overall, focusing on the big picture, Hill has done well this season and is an important cog to the winning ways.

Antonio McDyess
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/antonio-mcdyess.jpg
17:59 mins, 5.3 points, 5.3 rebounds, 1.0 assist, 0.8 blocks, 1.2 turnovers
42.9% from the field, 8-for-9 at the line

There isn’t a Spurs player who has given as much effort as consistently as Antonio McDyess this season. On defense, he’s an asset both out on the perimeter and defending in the paint. McDyess’ physical play, toughness on the boards and ability to defend the paint has made him a defensive force in the early season. On offense, McDyess has utilized his athleticism much more than he did last year — as evident by the fact that he’s getting to the free throw line twice as often. Heading into the season, McDyess appeared as a luxury who might find himself on the outside of the rotation. Now? McDyess continuing to play well is likely a must if the Spurs have true championship aspirations

Gary Neal
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/gary-neal.jpg
15:40 mins, 6.0 points, 2.7 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 0.6 steals, 0.9 turnovers
40.0% from the field, 47.4% on three-pointers, 1-for-2 at the line

Outside of the Big 3, it’s Gary Neal who leads the team in field goal attempts per minute. He was billed as a scorer coming into the NBA and the 26-year-old has not been bashful in proving that scouting report correct. Neal rarely hesitates to shoot when he’s open. Even when he’s covered, he’s apt to probe with a few dribbles in search of an opening. Neal shows some playmaking ability and has done a good job of tiptoeing the line between aggressiveness and too aggressive. Offensively, Neal appears to be well-rounded enough to help the team — as long as he continues to shoot well from three-point land. On defense, Neal is raw. He fouls too much, he tends to overplay the ball and he’s still learning how to defend the quick players in the NBA. However, he plays with a lot of physicality and moxie, which should allow him to overcome his lack of height, lack of athleticism and lack of corporate knowledge in San Antonio’s defensive schemes.

Matt Bonner
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/matt-bonner.jpg
20:55 mins, 9.4 points, 3.6 rebounds, 0.4 assists, 0.4 steals
42.9% from the field, 63.6% on three-pointers, 3-for-4 at the line

Matt Bonner returned from an ankle injury five games ago and has wasted no time in earning a spot in the rotation. His three-point marksmanship has been incredible. Equally as incredible has been his ineptness inside the arc. Since his return from injury, Bonner is 1-for-13 on two-pointers and 14-for-22 on three-pointers. Defensively, Bonner remains solid. He knows where he needs to be and is almost never out of position. The main issue I have with Bonner (outside of his lack of intestinal fortitude for playoff basketball) is his declining rebounding rate. Each season, his rebounding rate has dropped precipitously — and now it’s to the point that Bonner is a worse rebounding than Neal. There has to be a point where Bonner’s three-point shooting ability is negated by his inability to rebound and his poor postseason track record. Then again, guess who leads the Spurs in plus/minus per minute once more?

Tiago Splitter
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/tiago-splitter.jpg
15:01 mins, 7.4 points, 3.6 rebounds, 1.0 block, 0.8 steals, 1.2 turnovers
59.1% from the field, 73.3% at the line

Tiago Splitter has had an interesting start to his NBA career. In his first few outings, Splitter found it difficult to catch his breath. Fighting obvious fatigue, the Brazilian bigman actually did a lot of good. However, after Bonner returned from injury, Splitter dropped out of the rotation. Over a three-game stretch, Splitter played a total of three minutes and tallied two DNP-CDs. On the second night of a back-to-back, Popovich wanted a spark and turned to Splitter, who responded with 18 points, five rebounds, two assists, two steals and two blocks against the Cavs in 26 minutes of action. With that type of production, it’ll be difficult for Popovich to ignore him in forthcoming games. Splitter impacts the game in a positive way all over the court. On offense, he’s good at setting screens and even better at rolling to the basket. He has good hands, understands spacing and hasn’t had too much of an issue finishing at the rim at the NBA level. Defensively, Splitter is even better. He’s long, strong and mobile — a trio of attributes that give him an extremely high ceiling on the defensive end. Add in his smarts and an apparent ability to quickly grasp his role and it’s not much of a reach to say Splitter could become the team’s best defender by the end of the season. Right now, there’s no reason not to be happy with Splitter … other than the fact that he hasn’t yet carved out a spot for himself in the rotation, of course.

Next Up: Analyzing the coaching, offense and defense in the last seven games

http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/san-antonio-spurs-news/inside-the-spurs-player-by-player-analysis-last-7-games/

UnWantedTheory
11-22-2010, 05:56 AM
Why do some of the numbers seem skewed? Did RJ's numbers drop that dramtically over the two games I missed?

UnWantedTheory
11-22-2010, 05:56 AM
AH! NVM.....the last 7 games...Got ya. My bad.

buttsR4rebounding
11-22-2010, 07:19 AM
How about winning games by an average of 13.85 points per game over the last 7--best in the NBA. That's a stretch that includes 2 B2B's and wins over some quality teams.

Buddy Holly
11-22-2010, 07:26 AM
Good stuff LJ. Hey did you get my second article?

polandprzem
11-22-2010, 07:57 AM
I took my time and read it all.

I hate reading that much but sometimes it's good to force yourself

And a good read and a better job by timvp. It seems like you have found some time for articles - unfortunately I do not see you on the board in discussions.

Last year Hill was the only guy that was filling the holes in spurs team.
this year with Manu playing really good every game, TP concentrating on ball more now. With a renewed RJ his role is smaller now and there is not that much pressure on him. If he will settle himself in a rotation he will be a dangerous guy.

Funny thing with Bonner huh?

And this years team seems to be the most versatile of all. All players can contribute, and spurs do not a have a weak link.
playes has been played for everybody with just a bit of variation and then comes to play the individual aspect of every player.

I must say I like it and, but I would like to see spurs against physical team a team that have a huge advantage over SA.

romain.star
11-22-2010, 08:04 AM
great post LJ

Thanx for the reading

ChuckD
11-22-2010, 08:10 AM
Good stuff LJ. Hey did you get my second article?

They asked you for an NSYNC background piece?

EricB
11-22-2010, 08:38 AM

come on, lay off....

Good stuff, although I think numbers can be misleading, I do not think Neal has been that good but I keep seeing how everyone thinks he has so I must be missing something, but I see him missing very badly on threes and his man scoring on the other end semi easily.

Spursfanfromafar
11-22-2010, 08:40 AM
Great read.

I liked especially the take on George Hill. It required a stepping back from a pointed critic's role to revise expectations and redo one's thoughts on Hill's performance so far to put in perspective. Timvp has done a good job of it.

Waiting to see the second part on offense, defense and coaching. Particularly in terms of whether the lack of a 3 backup to Richard Jefferson and a perimeter defender will hurt in the long term and how has it played itself in the short term.

z0sa
11-22-2010, 08:44 AM
A good writeup. Why the last 7 instead of the last 10?

EricB
11-22-2010, 08:45 AM
Well they have a backup 3 and perimeter defender, but he's on the injured list, but I understand your concerns and hope that Green can if given a shot do well. He seemed pretty good the other night against Cleveland, but again. thats Cleveland...

Brazil
11-22-2010, 08:57 AM
If somebody should loose minutes for giving space to bonner to trade baskets during 20 mn and make Pop happy it's Blair.
Tiago needs some regular playing time no need to rush him but he needs consistent PT every game to go back in shape and ready for the PO. IMO he has more ceiling than Blair.

Oh and so far my favorite player is Dice... he is underrated badly by us fans, he has been decisive on this 11-1 record.

TDMVPDPOY
11-22-2010, 08:58 AM
splitter still needs to up the rebs section...

Cry Havoc
11-22-2010, 10:33 AM

Wow, you're brilliant.

The sign for idiotic trolling 101 is that way.

Pauleta14
11-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks timvp!
good read

ps/ Don't you have an updated picture of Neal and Splitter with a spurs jersey?

DBMethos
11-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Fun read...thanks.

timvp
11-22-2010, 01:52 PM
A good writeup. Why the last 7 instead of the last 10?

Good question. It's because I already did a similar breakdown after the first five games (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/san-antonio-spurs-news/player-by-player-breakdown-five-games-in/).

z0sa
11-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Good question. It's because I already did a similar breakdown after the first five games (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/san-antonio-spurs-news/player-by-player-breakdown-five-games-in/).

Thanks for answering. :tu

angelbelow
11-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Had no idea RJ was playing so "poorly" on the offensive end. From the games Ive been watching hes playing great all around basketball and its really minimizing how poor hes been shooting. RJ 2.0 is awesome.

will_spurs
11-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Oh and so far my favorite player is Dice... he is underrated badly by us fans, he has been decisive on this 11-1 record.

Not sure he is so badly underrated. I rather see him as a player who gets a ton of respect (including for what he did and how he behaved himself before he joined the Spurs, and even moreso since), and as somebody who is going to play at or above expectations on a consistent basis. He's too old to be one of the main options, but one can be sure that he will produce for each minute he gets. In other words, I don't think anybody has anything bad to say about Dice, and knowing Spurs fan that's a tall order...

HarlemHeat37
11-22-2010, 08:17 PM
I don't know if I would call it "underrated", but I agree with Brazil to an extent..

All the talk about the big men is based on Duncan(the usual), and battles between Splitter vs. Bonner vs. Blair..McDyess is never really talked about, because he's so steady and consistent..he never really gets his credit, because he's always doing the little things..he never gets too high or too low..automatic mid-range J, rebounds and plays tough defense..I love the guy, I really hope he goes out with a ring..