PDA

View Full Version : Right Now, Do you want to see more Red Rocket...

Trill Clinton
11-22-2010, 11:09 PM
...or Tiago?

Do we keep giving Bonner 30+ minutes a game or would you rather Pop give half of those minutes into acclimating Tiago into the system?

DesignatedT
11-22-2010, 11:10 PM
somehow both.

sananspursfan21
11-22-2010, 11:11 PM
i dont know man, spurs are winnin right now and all. i think he should be playin a little more like 10 minutes a game

Juanobili
11-22-2010, 11:12 PM
At this point, whatever Pop says... though I'd like to see Tiago soon

Barfunk
11-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Tiago most definitely. I'll continue to keep faith in Bonner. But Tiago no question.

ChuckD
11-22-2010, 11:13 PM
If Pop plays Tiago Bonner's minutes tonight, we lose. Splitter is not ready for a team as strong and physical and fast as the Magic. I'm sure he'll see time at Minny, and against the soft-ass Mavs.

Trill Clinton
11-22-2010, 11:14 PM
somehow both.

How would you go about giving Tiago minutes? Play him more against the lesser talented teams and sit him against top tier teams?

BlairForceDejuan
have fun relying on Bonner to do something against Pau/Odom/Bynum/West/Chandler/etc

Regular Season 3's > Getting an actual BIG who plays like a BIG ready for the playoffs lulz

L.I.T
Splitter will be necessary defensively later in the season. So yeah, I'd like to see him get up to 10-15 minutes a game over the next few months.

But I suspect the reason why we aren't seeing him that much is Pop's new focus on cohesion and chemistry building and game winning. early in the season. That being said, get the man some minutes against tough opponents, not only scrubs.

Trill Clinton
If Pop plays Tiago Bonner's minutes tonight, we lose. Splitter is not ready for a team as strong and physical and fast as the Magic. I'm sure he'll see time at Minny, and against the soft-ass Mavs.

I agree.

ElNono
11-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Cue 'but we won 11 in a row, brah!'

spursfan1000
Let Tiago learn the system first, and get used to NBA conditioning

DesignatedT

People probably don't seem to understand this.

Tiago definitely needs to get integrated into the offense, but the way Bonner is playing right now he isn't giving him much of an option. Bonner has been fantastic all season and the haters are gunna hate. If anyone's minutes deserve to be "Taken" right now its Blair.

Chomag
11-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Depends on how important playoff wins are compared to regular season wins.

DJ Mbenga
milk bonner until he comes back to earth, then plug in splitter. pretty easy stuff

ezau
I depends on the matchups. Splitter will definitely play against teams with big frontlines such as the Lakers and Celtics.

Trill Clinton
have fun relying on Bonner to do something against Pau/Odom/Bynum/West/Chandler/etc

Regular Season 3's > Getting an actual BIG who plays like a BIG ready for the playoffs lulz

We have Big's though...Bonner is feeling the void Robert Horry left behind.

BlairForceDejuan
We know Tiago can be deadly on the P'n'R yet we will settle for miracle 3's

cd98
11-22-2010, 11:18 PM
I'd be worried if Tiago wasnt getting minutes at the 60 game mark. That said, we are deep and every big is playing well.

Nathan89
11-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Blair should get the least minutes out of all the bigs.

Nathan89
11-22-2010, 11:19 PM
I'd be worried if Tiago wasnt getting minutes at the 60 game mark. That said, we are deep and every big is playing well.

You forgot Blair is considered a big.

barbacoataco
11-22-2010, 11:19 PM
I think that they will play Splitter 50-60 games this season. He has never played 82 games, and he played this summer in international ball. They know what he is capable of and will play him. Right now McDyess and Bonner are playing well, so why force him in? When you are 12-1 it's hard to argue with their choices. I see Splitter being used to rest Duncan and/or McDyess more and more as the season goes on.

DesignatedT
11-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Either way, People can argue about this shit all night and that will probably happen, but I'm just glad we are 12-1 and this problem we have is a great problem to have compared to a lot of other teams in the league. I love it!

Borosai
11-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Bonner and Splitter are two completely different players, except for the fact that they're both tall... and white. His minutes will come at the expense of Blair and/or Dice, since Pop really wants that 3-point threat from Bonner. Tonight Pop went with experience against a very good team. And won.

Trill Clinton
11-22-2010, 11:21 PM
The scary thing is we're 12-1 and still haven't played our best ball yet. I can't wait till playoffs start.

TD 21
11-22-2010, 11:22 PM

But the mistake prone Blair is? Blair should be stapled to the bench against elite teams. McDyess should be starting and Splitter should take McDyess' would be bench minutes.

Pop can't play Splitter exclusively against the dregs of the league, then if/when this team runs into the Lakers in the playoffs, all of a sudden rely on him to play a significant role (which he'll have to, if the Spurs are to have a legit shot at beating them). He needs to be thrown into the fire. Let the refs get used to him, let him learn the system, to play with Duncan and the key players tendencies.

EricB
11-22-2010, 11:23 PM
milk bonner until he comes back to earth, then plug in splitter. pretty easy stuff

Yeah true but Splitter needs minutes.

That said, not the greatest of matchups for him tonight.

I can see him getting PT vs Dallas New Orleans and Minnesota comin up.

Chomag
11-22-2010, 11:25 PM
But the mistake prone Blair is? Blair should be stapled to the bench against elite teams. McDyess should be starting and Splitter should take McDyess' would be bench minutes.

Pop can't play Splitter exclusively against the dregs of the league, then if/when this team runs into the Lakers in the playoffs, all of a sudden rely on him to play a significant role (which he'll have to, if the Spurs are to have a legit shot at beating them). He needs to be thrown into the fire. Let the refs get used to him, let him learn the system, to play with Duncan and the key players tendencies.

It's kind of like a parent that keeps their child under a rock. When it comes time for them to go into the real world they are in for a major shock. :lol

SanAntonioSpurs23
11-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Give Tiago Blairs starting minutes and see what happens.

SA210
11-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Tiago!

cd98
Blair isn't playing like an all star, but he is playing well. Minutes are sparse for Spurs Bigs. Bonner is even taking minutes from Blair.

GSH
...or Tiago?

Do we keep giving Bonner 30+ minutes a game or would you rather Pop give half of those minutes into acclimating Tiago into the system?

I want to see this. :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2: :lobt2:

If that happens with Bonner playing 36, or with Bonner playing 3, I don't care. But when a guy is shooting 3's the way Bonner is, how the hell can you keep him out of the game?

ChuckD
11-22-2010, 11:29 PM

Blair's issue tonight was Orlando's version of small-ball with Rashard at the 4. Tiago would have had no better luck chasing him than Blair did.

spurs2112
11-22-2010, 11:35 PM
As long as Bonner's hitting the 3 you got to milk it cause when he's not he's useless. I think thats why he's been playing a lot, at least I hope so. In the end Splitter has to be in the rotation if we want any chance of beating the better teams.

GSH
11-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Blair's issue tonight was Orlando's version of small-ball with Rashard at the 4. Tiago would have had no better luck chasing him than Blair did.

There was a play in the second half where McDyess and RJ doubled Rashard, and he STILL made it look easy. He's always been a tough cover. But we usually made him take too many shots to get his points. It's not fair to expect anyone to take him completely out of the game.

TD 21
11-22-2010, 11:38 PM

I'm skeptical as well, but the Spurs have no answer for face up four's as is. It wouldn't be a bad idea to give Splitter a shot in those match-ups. If the Magic start running Lewis off screens and Splitter get's burned, that's fine. Like Blair, he can easily be pulled immediately. But let's at least find out one way or the other, because it's not like the other options in these match-ups are all that appealing.

8FOR!3
11-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Honestly, Blair is the odd man out right now. Splitter rocks, Bonner is lights out and is giving great effort on the defensive end, Dice is clutch and consistent, and Duncan is obviously the best big man on the team. It should be between Bonner and Blair for minutes. If Bonner is outplaying him, stick Blair to the bench. Give Blair minutes against crap teams like Minnesota.

EricB
11-22-2010, 11:39 PM
I'm skeptical as well, but the Spurs have no answer for face up four's as is. It wouldn't be a bad idea to give Splitter a shot in those match-ups. If the Magic start running Lewis off screens and Splitter get's burned, that's fine. Like Blair, he can easily be pulled immediately. But let's at least find out one way or the other, because it's not like the other options in these match-ups are all that appealing.

Splitter is not quicker than Blair, so its pointless.

DesignatedT
11-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Orlando poses weird matchups, Blair didn't get minutes either. Bonner matches up the best with them

phyzik
Milk the Ginger for all he's got then use him in situation games where he is more effective against certain defenses.

The Spurs have that luxury now where 1 game we can sit a player that may not be well suited for the matchup but may be key in the next game. I dont think Pop should have a set rotation based on minutes and it sort of appears that that is the route he is going this year. Take advantage of who's got the hot hand and who matches up best with the opponent.

This also has a side benefit that the opposing teams cant fully prepare for the Spurs because they dont know who Pop is going to be throwing in the game at any given moment. An example of this was the game against the Cavs. Pop dropped Splitter in and he erupted for 18 points. The Cavs looked like they had no gameplan for him because he had sat out the previous 2 games.

DieHardSpursFan1537
Tonight Bonner shined and got work done. If he can continue to play like he did against Magic, I can see Pop boosting up Bonner's minutes.

Obstructed_View
Against Orlando, I'd say to play the first guy who manages to close out on Pietras and Lewis at the three point line. I only watched the fourth quarter, but Bonner gave up three of those during that time. That makes it all the more critical not only that he be getting quality shots, but that he be hitting them at a high rate.

peskypesky
11-22-2010, 11:43 PM
Bonner is kicking ass, so give him his minutes. If anything, cut Blair's minutes, as he's not doing enough with them IMO.

EricB
11-22-2010, 11:43 PM
Against Orlando, I'd say to play the first guy who manages to close out on Pietras and Lewis at the three point line. I only watched the fourth quarter, but Bonner gave up three of those during that time. That makes it all the more critical not only that he be getting quality shots, but that he be hitting them at a high rate.

I'd say 4/4 is a pretty high rate.

JR3
11-22-2010, 11:44 PM
I am very proud of bonner tonight. Not only did he hit his shots, but he played like a big man tonight. He held his own vs a very athletic group. I'm not as worried about us vs the lakers anymore. If we can handle the athleticism of Orlando, I think we can beat anyone.

ElNono
11-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Lewis shot 3-3 from 3... and 50% from 2... then again, I'll take Matt going 4-4 from downtown, since some of those were actually contested. Plus we didn't really have anybody else to throw at the Orlando guards. Our rebounding felt it though.

Obstructed_View
11-22-2010, 11:47 PM
I'd say 4/4 is a pretty high rate.

You'd better pray he continues to hit them at pretty close to that percentage in order for him to be effective.

EricB
11-22-2010, 11:48 PM
You'd better pray he continues to hit them at pretty close to that percentage in order for him to be effective.

Ill take 15 and 7 out of my 4th and 5th big any night of the week.

DesignatedT
11-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Bonners defense was fine tonight. He played aggressive and boarded well also. There isn't much to criticize him on after tonight's win, that is of course unless you didn't watch the game.

Obstructed_View
11-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Ill take 15 and 7 out of my 4th and 5th big any night of the week.

Hate to break it to you, but Bonner led the team in minutes. He's your first big, cuz.

jjktkk
11-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Bonners defense was fine tonight. He played aggressive and boarded well also. There isn't much to criticize him on after tonight's win, that is of course unless you didn't watch the game.

Just waiting for 1st losing streak, then time for the Bonners sucks threads to start popping up.

DesignatedT
11-22-2010, 11:56 PM
Just waiting for 1st losing streak, then time for the Bonners sucks threads to start popping up.

Oh definitely.

ElNono
11-22-2010, 11:57 PM

Why wait?

:lol

gameFACE
11-22-2010, 11:58 PM
I prefer Bonner to start over Blair right now. On the other hand he's coming off the bench. If Tiago can earn his spot in the rotation he can hopefully be the starter and Bonner still comes off the bench.

Dex
11-22-2010, 11:59 PM
Bonner is definitely on a hot streak, but he pretty much has to shoot like this to justify his worth (although his rebounding tonight was better). I'm never going to complain about having the league leading three-point shooter on the floor.

If he can keep it up all season, I'll take my hat off to him.

However, I'm not eating any crow until he doesn't get utterly pwned in the playoffs.

rayray2k8
11-23-2010, 12:00 AM
The scary thing is we're 12-1 and still haven't played our best ball yet. I can't wait till playoffs start.

Quote of the week....
Bonner was a reason why the spurs won.. I'll give him some props for tonights win.. and you wont see me do that much often. :toast