PDA

View Full Version : Live Recap: Spurs vs. Magic - Nov. 22

timvp
11-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Live Recap: Spurs vs. Magic (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/san-antonio-spurs-news/live-recap-spurs-vs-magic/)
By LJ Ellis | San Antonio Dispatch

First quarter

11:45 – DeJuan Blair exposed on the first play. He’s just not going to be able to defend Rashard Lewis out on the perimeter. Matt Bonner immediately coming into the game to replace DeJuan Blair.

10:30 – Rashard Lewis hits another three. Bonner was closer to him than Blair was, however.

9:55 – Blair back into the game. Pop gave him a little reminder that he needs to defend the perimeter against the three-point loving Magic.

9:20 – Dwight Howard overwhelms Tim Duncan with a post move. Impressive.

8:40 – Manu Ginobili tries to draw the foul from Dwight Howard while bringing the ball up the court. Howard has to jump out of the way, but in doing so he lost sight of Duncan. Ginobili, of course, finds Duncan for a layup.

8:35 – Timeout Orlando. Spurs up 14-9. Tony Parker already with four points and two assists.

8:04 – DeJuan Blair snares the rebound, runs the court, receives a pass from TP and draws a foul at the rim.

7:02 – Duncan with good defense protecting the rim but Vince Carter gets the call. VC drains both free throws to make it 15-13 Spurs.

6:37 – Duncan and Howard battling under the basket. Duncan looks healthy and fresh.

5:37 – Duncan blocks Howard. Howard gets the ball back and Duncan blocks him again. Unfortunately, the ball goes in the basket anyways. Howard whistled for a technical foul on his way down the court complaining about a no-call.

5:23 – Parker behind the back to Duncan for a layup. Spurs up 18-15.

4:45 – Jameer Nelson nails a tough three-pointer. Orlando takes a 20-18 lead.

4:10 – Duncan goes after another block but calls for a foul on Howard. It’s Duncan’s second foul. Antonio McDyess in for Duncan. Howard goes 1-for-2 at the line to give the Magic a 21-18 lead.

3:45 – Parker bails out the Spurs with a tough jumper. Seconds later, Nelson responds with a difficult jumper of his own. 23-20 Magic.

3:00 – Parker to the line. Splits the pair, Spurs down 23-21. It looks like Tiago Splitter is still out of the rotation since four bigs have already seen the court.

1:47 – George Hill undresses J.J. Redick and then hits a high floater off the glass. Impressive.

0:05 – Parker isolates to take the last shot of the quarter. He penetrates the lane, collapses Orlando’s defense and finds Hill in the corner for three. Hill hits.

0:00 – Spurs down 30-28 at the end of the first quarter. Three-pointers hurting the Spurs. Orlando is 4-for-7 on threes, 7-for-17 on two-pointers. If the Spurs can keep the Magic off the arc, they should be okay — but that is obviously easier said than done.

Second Quarter

11:15 – Hill had an open lane to slam the ball. Instead, missed a reverse layup.

10:42 – Bonner hits another three-pointer. He’s now 2-for-2 in the game. Stan Van Gundy calls a timeout with the Spurs up 33-32.

10:09 – Ginobili with a beautiful pass to McDyess who throws it down with authority.

9:46 – Duncan back in with two fouls. Howard not currently on the court for Orlando.

8:53 – Chris Duhon blows past Ginobili but Duncan saves the day by blocking the ball out of bounds.

8:18 – Ginobili drives the paint and hits a hiiigh finger roll over Marcin Gortat. George Gervin smiles.

7:26 – Ginobili tries another finger roll, misses but Duncan gets fouled while trying to tip it in. Spurs ball down 39-37.

7:02 – Duncan draws the offensive foul on a Carter drive to the basket. Third foul on Carter, who goes to the bench. Pivotal play because a blocking foul would have been Duncan’s third.

6:05 – Bonner showing some fight on the boards, ripping a rebound away from Gortat. Pop calls timeout with the game tied, 39-39. Combined, Parker and Ginobili have 14 points, eight assists, four rebounds and no turnovers.

5:00 – Bonner another good rebound. This time versus Howard.

4:27 – Great hustle play by Duncan. He runs back on defense to break up a sure-fire dunk by Howard to start a fast break for the Spurs going the other way.

4:01 – McDyess in for Duncan. Could be done for the half. Parker hits two free throws to give the Spurs a 43-41 lead.

2:36 – Howard having a lot more success with Duncan on the bench. First gets an alleyoop over McDyess and then draws a foul on McDyess on a post move. Did Pop make a mistake by bringing in Duncan before the Magic re-inserted Howard? Possibly. Duncan has defended Howard extremely well so far. Then again, Duncan’s much more likely to pick up a foul going head-to-head against Howard, so perhaps that was Pop’s logic.

2:19 – Ginobili isolated against Mickael Pietrus. Pietrus forces him right, Ginobili goes right and draws the foul. He hits both free throws to give the Spurs a 47-46 lead.

2:00 – Hill on Lewis. Lewis scores. Big challenge for Hill. He’s giving up about eight inches. Of height.

0:10 – Parker isolates to get the last shot of the quarter again. Parker drives down the lane, finds Ginobili in the quarter for a three-pointer and the foul! Ginobili hits free throw to give the Spurs a 53-50 lead.

0:01 – The Spurs have a foul to give. Nelson goes around the pick, Splitter tries to foul him. Nelson hits the jumper but there’s no foul called on the play. Spurs catch a break there. Heading into halftime with the Spurs up 53-52.

0:00 – The Spurs are up thanks to good defense by Duncan and dominant offensive halves by Parker and Ginobili. Parker has 13 points, seven assists and no turnovers in 18 minutes. Ginobili has 15 points, three assists, three rebounds and no turnovers in 18 minutes. Both superstar guards are 5-for-9 from the field. The Spurs also did a good job of holding the Magic to only two three-point attempts that quarter. However, San Antonio hasn’t been able to make a run because the rebounding is pitiful. The Spurs have zero offensive rebounds at the half and are getting outrebounded overall 23-12.

Third Quarter

10:55 – Ginobili misses a dunk. Nelson drains a jumper. Magic up 56-55.

10:12 – Blair with quality perimeter defense against Lewis. Richard Jefferson with a hard drive to the rim and draws the foul. RJ hits both to give the Spurs a 57-56 lead.

9:14 – Duncan with his second straight running layup. Spurs up 61-59.

8:45 – Carter drives against Duncan. Duncan gets called for a foul this time — his third. Carter hits both to tie the game 61-61. (Refs give a warning to both teams to stop complaining about calls.)

8:07 – Duncan drives to the hoop, the Magic collapse, Duncan passes it to RJ and Jefferson drains a three from the top of the key. Jefferson’s first field goal of the game gives the Spurs a 64-61 advantage.

6:42 – Ginobili misses a three-pointer on one end. On the other end, Carter drives right past him for a layup. Ginobili is 0-for-5 in the quarter and looks tired. Hopefully he gets his second wind soon.

6:31 – Hill drives baseline and draws the fourth foul on Carter. Redick in for Carter.

6:05 – Spurs get their first offensive rebound and then Duncan shoots an impossible fadeaway over Howard, who bails him out with a foul. Duncan hits 1-of-2 to go up 65-63.

4:33 – Parker nails a three-pointer. He’s now 2-for-2 from deep on the season. Spurs up by three.

3:35 – Parker draws the foul on the fast break. As a team, the Spurs aren’t too energetic. They need a spark to stay in this game. (Parker split his pair to give the Spurs a 69-67 lead.)

3:20 – Bonner fouled while going after a defensive rebound. Gotta give Bonner credit, he’s the only Spur going hard for rebounds right now.

2:17 – Ginobili in for Parker. Key stretch since Parker has been carrying the offense.

1:53 – After a turnover on a pass from Ginobili to McDyess, Howard is wrapped up by Bonner and sent to the line. Howard hits one to make it 72-68 Spurs.

1:38 – Another turnover on a pass from Ginobili to McDyess.

1:16 – Turnover on a pass from Hill to McDyess.

1:02 – Pietrus for three. Magic up 73-72.

0:48 – Ginobili another turnover

0:43 – Pietrus for three again.

0:29 – Pop wanted the Spurs to intentionally foul Howard. Instead, Gary Neal intentionally fouls Chris Duhon. Pop not thrilled.

0:00 – It’s 77-74 Magic. Disastrous end to the quarter. When Parker went out, the Spurs immediately turned it over four straight times. Ginobili looks tired and Hill is passive — not a good combination against the aggressive Magic defense. The Spurs need a strong start to the four quarter. Orlando has a habit of catching fire from three to put teams away. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen here.

Fourth quarter

11:17 – Ginobili draws the Spurs within a point with a driving layup.

10:51 – Second straight defensive play by Ginobili, this time he intercepts a cross-court pass. Pick-and-roll with McDyess, pass to McDyess and he cans the mid-range jumper. Spurs up 78-77. Ginobili goes from looking tired to leading San Antonio’s run. Then again, it’s the fourth quarter so we should expect this from Ginobili.

9:30 – Bonner for three on a pass from Ginobili. Spurs up two. Bonner 3-for-3 from three.

8:23 – Howard with another offensive rebound. Bonner and McDyess foul him immediately.

7:55 – Bonner misses a runner. McDyess keeps the ball alive. Bonner puts it in.

7:23 – Hill in for Ginobili. Another key stretch.

6:13 – Duncan enters the game. Both teams cold lately. Game tied at 83.

6:04 – Bonner for three! Spurs up three. Bonner 4-for-4 from deep.

5:41 – Carter drives the lane and hits a layup. Carter comes up hobbled. On the replay, it looks like Bruce Bowen intentionally injured him.

4:56 – Parker hits a jumper to give the Spurs a three-point lead.

4:15 – Parker turns it over, Pietrus makes the Spurs pay with a transition three-pointer. Spurs down two.

3:53 – Parker with another three-pointer. He’s now 3-for-3 on the season.

3:11 – Jefferson nails a three-pointer. Spurs up two.

2:31 – Spurs scramble on defense but Lewis buries a three-pointer. Spurs down, 95-94.

2:09 – Three-pointer by Ginobili! Spurs up two.

1:55 – Nelson turns it over. The Spurs up 97-95 with the ball. Timeout called. Wow, this has been a very entertaining fourth quarter. The three-pointers are dropping left and right. Two very good teams throwing haymakers hoping for the knockout punch.

1:36 – Jefferson goes up for the dunk but gets it blocked.

1:26 – Big defensive board by Bonner. Spurs ball up two.

1:07 – Parker and Duncan pick-and-roll. Parker gets stuck in the air but finds Duncan who flips it up and in! Spurs up by four, 99-95.

0:50 – Out of bounds, Orlando ball. But the refs are going to check the replay. It looked like it was out on Nelson to me in real time. The replay confirms Nelson kicked it out. Now we’re waiting for the refs to make the right call. (Nelson drove the lane, Ginobili got a hand in and it looks like the ball hit Nelson’s foot and went out of bounds.) Refs reverse their call and give it to the Spurs!

0:32 – Ginobili drives the lane, jumps, hangs and hits a floater plus a foul! The Spurs up by seven after the free throw. Timeout, Orlando. Thank the basketball gods that Ginobili got his second wind. It looked like he had dead legs at the end of the third quarter. But come the fourth quarter, he’s been amazing.

0:27 – Redick misses a wide open three-pointer. Duncan gets the rebound and is fouled. First one is good. Second one good. Spurs up nine.

0:20 – Howard dunks it.

0:15 – Parker throws the ball away. Pop about to meltdown.

0:03 – Ginobili gets the rebound and gets fouled. Ginobili hits both.

0:00 – Spurs win 106-97. Great fourth quarter action. The Spurs caught fire from deep and got just enough stops on the defensive end. It wasn’t always pretty but San Antonio keeps finding ways to win. They have 11 straight victories and stand 12-1 on the season. This season has started about as well as possible and this win is yet another exclamation point.

ducks
11-22-2010, 11:25 PM
2:17 – Ginobili in for Parker. Key stretch since Parker has been carrying the offense.

1:53 – After a turnover on a pass from Ginobili to McDyess, Howard is wrapped up by Bonner and sent to the line. Howard hits one to make it 72-68 Spurs.

manu should be horsewhipped for that stretch of the game

timvp
11-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Meh, can't tell if this was worth the effort. Opinions please.

lefty
11-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Quick grades would be better :lol

Libri
Didn't notice these recaps before. Cool.

King
2:00 – Hill on Lewis. Lewis scores. Big challenge for Hill. He’s giving up about eight inches. Of height.

Bahahah

DPG21920
11-22-2010, 11:29 PM
No need for it imo. Too much work to get really nothing out of it. Just doing a summary of each quarter as it ends would be better imo.

NASpurs
11-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Bahahah

:lol

This is George "Tripod" Hill we're talking about. Lewis must be impressive.

TIMMYD!
11-22-2010, 11:31 PM
No need for it imo. Too much work to get really nothing out of it. Just doing a summary of each quarter as it ends would be better imo.

This. It makes the overall analysis more extensive but it's not really needed.

Spursfanfromafar
11-22-2010, 11:32 PM

Idiot - Check the whole story, asshole.

Live Recap: Spurs vs. Magic (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/san-antonio-spurs-news/live-recap-spurs-vs-magic/)
By LJ Ellis | San Antonio Dispatch

0:32 – Ginobili drives the lane, jumps, hangs and hits a floater plus a foul! The Spurs up by seven after the free throw. Timeout, Orlando. Thank the basketball gods that Ginobili got his second wind. It looked like he had dead legs at the end of the third quarter. But come the fourth quarter, he’s been amazing....

0:03 – Ginobili gets the rebound and gets fouled. Ginobili hits both.

0:00 – Spurs win 106-97. Great fourth quarter action. The Spurs caught fire from deep and got just enough stops on the defensive end. It wasn’t always pretty but San Antonio keeps finding ways to win. They have 11 straight victories and stand 12-1 on the season. This season has started about as well as possible and this win is yet another exclamation point.

Manu won the game despite the TOs in the 3rd quarter.

And Great New Feature, Timvp, it is a good way to "instant replay" the game after the game is over. Thank you so much. Best wishes for SA.Dispatch.

GSH
For people who couldn't watch the game, it's a beautiful thing. Sort of a play-by-play with color commentary, but just hitting the high spots. I don't know how you can keep it up, but if I missed a game, I'd definitely look for this.

DesignatedT
too much work tbh. IMO

Slomo
11-22-2010, 11:33 PM

I like the quick grades better.

EricB
11-22-2010, 11:34 PM

Agreed.

Summary of each quarter and what is needed for the next to win or stay ahead

Nathan89

This again. I applaud your effort to improve the Dispatch.

boutons_deux
drop it

Chomag
To much work for little gain IMO.

phyzik
11-22-2010, 11:35 PM
Worthless to those that watched the game IMHO. Would be better if you focused on key moments in the game kind of like how ESPN does their video recaps.

NASpurs
11-22-2010, 11:37 PM
I think you're giving yourself too much work. If you want to do see something similar though, maybe a quarter after quarter (half by half?) recap?

FvckMavs
5:41 – Carter drives the lane and hits a layup. Carter comes up hobbled. On the replay, it looks like Bruce Bowen intentionally injured him.

Priceless. :lol

Slomo
I re-read the whole thing and while I stand by my initial comments these are also fun to read (even though I watched the game).

mchammer
11-22-2010, 11:41 PM

:lol..T love this

Juanobili
11-22-2010, 11:44 PM
a video recap with commentary would be awesome :)

Mugen
11-22-2010, 11:45 PM
i rely on ducks for my game recaps. this is pointless!

DPG21920
11-22-2010, 11:49 PM
I feel like Captain Hindsight right now.

MI21
Really nice for people such as myself who only get to watch the games hours after they have finished.

TwoHandJam
For people who couldn't watch the game, it's a beautiful thing. Sort of a play-by-play with color commentary, but just hitting the high spots. I don't know how you can keep it up, but if I missed a game, I'd definitely look for this.

Sums up my thoughts exactly.

GrandeDavid
11-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Great effort, but quick grades are missed.

Man In Black
11-22-2010, 11:53 PM
It's duplication of effort. I like the personal touch, that "fouled by Bowen" was funny.
However, since the major outlets and the NBA do a play by play, I feel it's a duplication of effort. If you link it and then at the end of quarters add the TiMVP added Value, then that saves you time and let's you work on the grades :)

Dex
11-22-2010, 11:54 PM
Love the Live Recap. :tu

Obviously great for people who couldn't watch the game and want more than just reading the recap or gamecast. Also, good after watching the game to go over / summarize the action. I sometimes put so much attention into silently cursing every opponent bucket that I forget half the game.

Pauleta14
11-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the works timvp!

I do prefer the quick grades too, or wait for the game thoughts...

timvp
11-22-2010, 11:57 PM
Quick grades weren't as quick but they are up :wakeup

Probably won't do this too often though I'll see what those who didn't watch the game think. Thanks for the opinions.

TVI
11-23-2010, 12:18 AM

Brilliance!

wildbill2u
11-23-2010, 12:45 AM
I didn't get to watch or hear the game since I'm out of town. This was a very good addition to your player grades. I'm sure it wasn't too much work if you typed it as it happened and didn't have to watch a replay.

Thanks for the great color commentary that went with the bare bones of what happened. That's as much fun to read as the real thing almost.

Cry Havoc
11-23-2010, 12:52 AM
Personally, I love this. Reading it brings back the key plays from the game tonight to mind. It makes the game stick more solidly in my memory. Hope you keep it up. :tu

BoricuaCJA
11-23-2010, 12:55 AM

Probably won't do this too often though I'll see what those who didn't watch the game think. Thanks for the opinions.
I think this is a cool idea if you doing against the best teams like the Lakers, NOH, Mavs, Boston, Orlando. I like it a lot, helps people who didn't watch the game know more in-depth of what happened in the game instead of just highlight videos. If you keep doing this for important games, you can even ask another member who is well knowledge about the Spurs game of basketball to do one at times too.

ShoogarBear
11-23-2010, 12:55 AM

I didn't get to watch the game. Was going to wait up for the 3 a.m. replay, but now you've spoiled it for me. :pctoss

will_spurs
11-23-2010, 03:19 AM
As somebody who couldn't watch the game I think this is great. It allows me to get a feel for the flow of the game, who was hot and when. It's much more interesting (not to mention readable) than the usual play-by-play from other media outlets since there is commentary inside too. In short, I really like this, and to me it's a lot more interesting than quick grades.

angelbelow
11-23-2010, 03:22 AM
Quick grades are more than good enough. Thanks for the effort but you just relax and enjoy the games instead =)

polandprzem
11-23-2010, 03:34 AM
I didn't get to watch the game. Was going to wait up for the 3 a.m. replay, but now you've spoiled it for me. :pctoss

What a friend huh?

AlleyOopNazi
11-23-2010, 04:05 AM
i found this upload... link' :tu
3Oz8F-XRKhA

Technique
11-23-2010, 04:05 AM
Live Recap would be great to have as a recap of a great game that wasn't nationally broadcast.

baseline bum
11-23-2010, 04:14 AM

:rollin

Sean Cagney
11-23-2010, 04:19 AM

I guess when we were up late you missed Parker doing a dumb LATE in the game too right? I guess you missed that there DUCKS! Manu late one one as well, i guess you missed that there to put it away?

Brazil
11-23-2010, 06:42 AM
Agreed.

Summary of each quarter and what is needed for the next to win or stay ahead

a good summary of each quarter with maybe key plays would be enough IMO. a full live recap is a lot of work

ForeignFan
11-23-2010, 06:59 AM
Great recap for those who did not see the game - very different approach than the quick grades. But it means it does not need to be live.

smeagol
11-23-2010, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the effort, LJ! It is great for the people who cannot watch games (I used to be in that camp bedore NBA Broadband International). Solid D used to do this real time in the game threads . . .

carina_gino20
11-23-2010, 08:06 AM
I like it. There's a 13-hr time difference for me and I'm usually in the office and can't watch the games. The recap gives you more of an idea of how the game went than with the usual AP recap.

Dice
11-23-2010, 08:11 AM
Love the Live Recap. :tu

Obviously great for people who couldn't watch the game and want more than just reading the recap or gamecast. Also, good after watching the game to go over / summarize the action. I sometimes put so much attention into silently cursing every opponent bucket that I forget half the game.

I with a lot of the guys on this. Don't have my league pass yet this season and would love to get the details like this on games I can'y watch. Way better than just seeing the box score.

MarCowMar
11-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Thanks for putting this together. I must say though, that even though I didn't watch the game this format didn't do much for me.

The format has potential though. Maybe adding pictures of key moments would give it more punch.

timvp
11-23-2010, 02:06 PM
I think this is a cool idea if you doing against the best teams like the Lakers, NOH, Mavs, Boston, Orlando. I like it a lot, helps people who didn't watch the game know more in-depth of what happened in the game instead of just highlight videos. If you keep doing this for important games, you can even ask another member who is well knowledge about the Spurs game of basketball to do one at times too.

Pretty good ideas.

Spurminator
11-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Good stuff but if it's a choice between this a quick grades, I'd take the grades.

Maybe a "five key plays of the game" would be a little less time consuming and you could focus on the really consequential action instead of the full recap.

Agloco
11-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Idiot - Check the whole story, asshole.

This is Ducks we're talking about......probability of that is really low.