PDA

View Full Version : Quick Grades: Spurs vs. Magic - Nov. 22

timvp
11-22-2010, 11:54 PM
Quick Grades: Spurs vs. Magic - Nov. 22 (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/spurs-grades/quick-grades-spurs-vs-magic/)

http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/gradesnov22.jpg (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/spurs-grades/quick-grades-spurs-vs-magic/)

http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/spurs-grades/quick-grades-spurs-vs-magic/

Admidave50
11-22-2010, 11:57 PM
Awesome game! One of the few I had the chance to watch. Manu and TP were really great while Tim was solid! The hot streak continues

jestersmash
11-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Neal got an earful from Pop when he mistakenly fouled somebody on the Magic not named Dwight Howard.

Hopefully the little kick in the ass will help to get him in gear. A relatively easier game against the T-wolves on Wednesday should help to funnel minutes towards his end and away from the big 3.

gameFACE
11-22-2010, 11:59 PM
Bonner's toughness on the glass surprised me tonight. It was more noticeable. He's finally playing the way he's supposed to on the Spurs.

Cry Havoc
11-23-2010, 12:00 AM
Starting to get very worried about RJ. He's looking less and less of a factor in games as the season progresses. We need him to have another big night to really integrate him back into the offense.

JR3
11-23-2010, 12:00 AM
I hope to see Splitter against MN. Loved watching our Spurs deliver in crunch time today. I thought the game was lost in the 3rd when the Spurs went turnover happy. Every turn over seemed to turn into a transition 3 for the magic. Take that little run away and we would have run away with this one. Room to improve, but we are ahead of schedule. Go Spurs!

EricB
11-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Might've been Jefferson's worst overall game of the year, but he was again clutch with shots in the 4th quarter.

Thats been consistent so far all year.

Love that.

EricB
11-23-2010, 12:02 AM
Starting to get very worried about RJ. He's looking less and less of a factor in games as the season progresses. We need him to have another big night to really integrate him back into the offense.

I'd say his clutch shots in the 4th were a factor...

ChuckD
11-23-2010, 12:05 AM

He's understanding that his role is sometimes in the forefront, and sometimes more supportive. Last year, he would have zoned out without getting touches. This year he sticks a HUGE three pointer late. Not worried a bit.

Pauleta14
11-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Manu and Tony took the team on their shoulders.... Impressive!

crc21209
11-23-2010, 12:13 AM
True RJ hasnt had a big time scoring output like he had at the beginning of the season but hes continued to perform on D and hit shots when it matters most, in crunch time in the 4th quarter. Gotta love that. I have a feeling Pop may be holding Splitter out of games like this to get his feet wet against lower-level type teams and then later throw him out there against the big dogs...just a thought.

EricB
11-23-2010, 12:14 AM
I think its just all about matchups.

Splitter doesn't matchup well with Rashard Lewis defensively.

crc21209
11-23-2010, 12:15 AM

True...but if Pop really wanted to he could've thrown him out there against Howard or Gortat too...

BackHome
11-23-2010, 12:18 AM

I agree I think that Pop really needs to call more plays for Jefferson they need to get him involved early in the game. I love tlhe fact that we are winning but Manu is going to be worn out if some other players arent able to carry more of the offensive load.

AussieFanKurt
11-23-2010, 12:19 AM
Bonner and tough in same sentence is rare to see but great to see

DPG21920
11-23-2010, 12:20 AM
I'm gonna have to bump Tim's grade to an A- as well. Only fitting. Crazy to think Tim good a good job on Howard and he still ends up with 28/18 :wow

Obstructed_View
11-23-2010, 12:25 AM
Bonner and tough in same sentence is rare to see but great to see

I'm unsure where anyone gets the idea that Bonner isn't tough. He doesn't always get rebounds but I don't think I've ever seen him afraid or intimidated by anyone. Have you?

Mugen
11-23-2010, 12:37 AM
I'm unsure where anyone gets the idea that Bonner isn't tough. He doesn't always get rebounds but I don't think I've ever seen him afraid or intimidated by anyone. Have you?

dude he has red hair.

Darkwaters
11-23-2010, 12:38 AM

I remember when we first traded for Bonner people mostly knew him as the guy that had fouled Garnett really hard. Garnett was a bitch about it but Bonner was just doing his job and didn't apologize.

ShoogarBear
11-23-2010, 12:39 AM

Not by anyone, but definitely by any image of the LOB Trophy painted on the floor.

Obstructed_View
11-23-2010, 12:42 AM
dude he has red hair.

So do about a hundred thousand other people in Boston who will fuck you up. :lol

Mugen
11-23-2010, 12:43 AM
So do about a hundred thousand other people in Boston who will fuck you up. :lol

maybe but they'll look adorable before they do.

ego
11-23-2010, 12:53 AM
TP : A++++
What kind of eyes do you have?
TP is at the top
24 pts 9/15
10 asts (one super with TD)
2/2 at three (the last was important)

Nathan89
11-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Tp- A-

Grades like that will get you fired. Terrible Timvp.

lefty
11-23-2010, 01:11 AM
TP is at the top
24 pts 9/15

Ducks has created a new troll

Solid D
11-23-2010, 01:36 AM
http://www.bible.ca/marriage/psychiatry-couch.gif

I had this crazy dream that Matt Bonner ripped a rebound out of Dwight Howard's hands. Hahahaha. Crazy, huh?

spurs10
11-23-2010, 01:37 AM
That was one hell of a game! The turnovers at the end of the 3rd quarter had me a bit concerned, but the Spurs came out with conviction and focus in the 4th. TP and Manu were absolutely money. RJ was more aggresive than some are giving him credit for and Bonner was automatic. Tim was much greater than his stats alone would suggest, his crunch time play was lock down. Dice looked solid as ever. Sweet.

jestersmash
11-23-2010, 01:38 AM

Great, more names to add to my ignore list.

I don't see why the rest of you haven't done this earlier. It's not like he brings any interesting takes/insights to the discussion. I'm not worried about missing any flashes of brilliance.

ShoogarBear
11-23-2010, 02:04 AM
You guys really think ducks has a troll?

Whisky Dog
11-23-2010, 02:16 AM
I thought ducks was a troll. Trolls getting other trolls now? Damn

polandprzem
11-23-2010, 02:55 AM
Ducks does not need any troll. He is above all the trolls.
When you talking ducks you know what is all about. It's like a higher grade of troll.
It should be all around the globe - there will be trolls on internet forums and there will be ducks.
Do not underestimate!

angelbelow
11-23-2010, 04:03 AM

I was quite curious and eager to see whether Tiago was or was not a good match up for Lewis defensively. In my head I thought, given Tiagos mobility and quickness, he should be able to cover Lewis well while helping Tim out with Howard. I was hoping to see whether Tiago had the potential to give an Odom on Lewis type of defensive performance or it was just a bad match up. But our team defense was more than enough tonight :p:

Btw, how about that Rashard Lewis. I had no idea hes been having such an off year 11.6 pts, 5.0 rebs, 41%fg. Even last year, 14 pts 4.4rebs, was atrocious considering his ginormous contract.

Obstructed_View
11-23-2010, 05:21 AM

Sorry that I missed this little gem earlier.

Wow, he must have gotten torched in his nine seconds in the game. :lol

objective
11-23-2010, 05:48 AM
I'm starting to wonder if Splitter will be held back until next season.

There's precedent enough.

Oberto came in behind Nazr, Rasho and Horry, and no matter how much praise he had from Pop and folks for his IQ and his passing and intangibles he was buried. He was given about 6 minutes in the 1st half of game 2 against the Mavs before he was sacrificed like everyone else on the altar of smallball.

Oberto played in 59 games that year with double digit minutes in about a third of them, he just couldn't get in when the established players ahead of him were entrenched. So he played, he just wasn't a part of the rotation with 4 bigs ahead of him and match-up issues. Splitter has 4 bigs plus smallball opportunities to contend with.

Oberto's 1st 9 game totals with the Spurs weren't terribly much different than Splitter. 10.5 vs 12.5 approx mpg Oberto to Splitter. Splitter scored much more but a slight rebounding advantage to Oberto.

Would anyone be completely shocked if the Spurs wait until McDyess is moved/released/retired for Splitter to be relied upon as a key contributor? After all, everyone always talks up how important it is to have a full year in the system before getting it, hell Bonner was talking about it tonight on NBAtv with regards to RJ, McDyess and Blair.

Obstructed_View
11-23-2010, 05:54 AM

Oberto came in behind Nazr, Rasho and Horry, and no matter how much praise he had from Pop and folks for his IQ and his passing and intangibles he was buried. He was given about 6 minutes in the 1st half of game 2 against the Mavs before he was sacrificed like everyone else on the altar of smallball.

Oberto played in 59 games that year with double digit minutes in about a third of them, he just couldn't get in when the established players ahead of him were entrenched. So he played, he just wasn't a part of the rotation with 4 bigs ahead of him and match-up issues. Splitter has 4 bigs plus smallball opportunities to contend with.

Oberto's 1st 9 game totals with the Spurs weren't terribly much different than Splitter. 10.5 vs 12.5 approx mpg Oberto to Splitter. Splitter scored much more but a slight rebounding advantage to Oberto.

Would anyone be completely shocked if the Spurs wait until McDyess is moved/released/retired for Splitter to be relied upon as a key contributor? After all, everyone always talks up how important it is to have a full year in the system before getting it, hell Bonner was talking about it tonight on NBAtv with regards to RJ, McDyess and Blair.

What was more alarming that year was that Pop completely benched the center rotation that helped the Spurs win 63 games once the Mavs series rolled around, and he did it so completely that Oberto was moved ahead of both of them when Duncan and Horry were in foul trouble (but only for end of quarter situations). Any time I start to think "surely Pop's not that crazy" when it comes to any sort of personnel decision, I think back to '06, when Pop decided on smallball because Nazr Mohammed hit a three pointer in garbage time of a blowout.

angelbelow
11-23-2010, 06:11 AM

Certainly wouldn't be surprising but..

Its hard to compare to that specific year. With Horry+Nazr, not to mention a younger/in prime Duncan, we weren't really desperate in the areas of frontcourt defense, rebounding, combination of post/outside scoring. And... I think we still had Rasho? We just had such a deep front-court that you simply wouldn't expect Oberto to play anymore than he did. The biggest problem that year was Dirk and in that situation, Oberto wasn't going to help much..

objective
11-23-2010, 06:21 AM
Certainly wouldn't be surprising but..

Its hard to compare to that specific year. With Horry+Nazr, not to mention a younger/in prime Duncan, we weren't really desperate in the areas of frontcourt defense, rebounding, combination of post/outside scoring. And... I think we still had Rasho? We just had such a deep front-court that you simply wouldn't expect Oberto to play anymore than he did. The biggest problem that year was Dirk and in that situation, Oberto wasn't going to help much..

I don't think it's too much of a stretch with that particular year.

You have your outside scoring big with Bonner (Horry), your rebounder with Blair (Nazr), your defender with McDyess (Rasho), your smallball with Jefferson (Finley/Bowen) . . .

Sure, Splitter when he plays seems like he makes the team better both on offense and defense. But it's his first year. Blair is the hot rebounder who's starting. McDyess the savvy vet who has played so well that Pop says he can't pull him, and Bonner is the leader in 3s and the Prince of Plus/Minus.

benefactor
11-23-2010, 07:00 AM
Not having Splitter in the playoff rotation means the Spurs aren't really serious about putting a fifth trophy in the case before Duncan retires...as I feel like this is the last year that feat is even discussable.

Good for Bonner, but I just can't get that excited about it. He will have many games like this but the proof is in the pudding...he is a mental midget in the playoffs. It was the same song and dance last year in November...In 20mpg over 12 games, he gave the Spurs 9pts and 5 boards and shot over 45% from distance. Many of us(including myself) entertained the thought of him finally breaking through and becoming a factor in the post season. Well, we saw how that turned out.

Sorry...I won't be duped again. The Spurs won't win anything with Bonner playing 25mpg on the front line. It's good he can get the Spurs wins in the regular season but the better he plays in the regular season the more he looks like Horry to Pop and the more that happens the more minutes he will get in the playoffs. It's just not worth it. I find myself almost wishing he hits a serious slump so that Pop will be forced to bury him in the doghouse.

urunobili
11-23-2010, 07:08 AM
http://www.bible.ca/marriage/psychiatry-couch.gif

I had this crazy dream that Matt Bonner ripped a rebound out of Dwight Howard's hands. Hahahaha. Crazy, huh?

:lmao :rollin :lol

buttsR4rebounding
11-23-2010, 07:14 AM

He only took 7 shots and scored 8 pts. He is being aggressive when he gets the ball. It is just being dominated by Parker and Manu right now. Also, Hill missed him on a wide open alley oop and Parker did the same. Plus with a rare dunk attempt blocked he could have easily had 14 pts. He is doing exactly what the Spurs need!

angelbelow
11-23-2010, 07:32 AM
I don't think it's too much of a stretch with that particular year.

You have your outside scoring big with Bonner (Horry), your rebounder with Blair (Nazr), your defender with McDyess (Rasho), your smallball with Jefferson (Finley/Bowen) . . .

Sure, Splitter when he plays seems like he makes the team better both on offense and defense. But it's his first year. Blair is the hot rebounder who's starting. McDyess the savvy vet who has played so well that Pop says he can't pull him, and Bonner is the leader in 3s and the Prince of Plus/Minus.

I disagree. That years front line feature Duncan in his prime or at least really close. Big Shot Rob, who isn't Bonner, they may the same role in principle but their game is worlds apart. Blair is a monster rebounder but hes 6'6. Nazr is a legit 6'10 and if it weren't for his Kwame Brown hands he might be a more efficient scorer. Dice>Rasho haha =p

Finally, that frontcourt was fresh off winning a championship, our current front court has proven to fall short when it comes to the playoffs, Dice and Blair in '10 and Bonner in 09.

Minus Splitter, our current front court might have what he takes to get to the 2nd round but its not realistic to believe that they can compete for a championship. IMO there are too many holes. While we get 3s from Bonner, we may lack defense and rebounding, we get rebounding from Blair, but may come short in team D and a liability to score, the 2 most well rounded players are Duncan and Dice, but have trouble with mobile guys like Odom and Dirk.

With Splitter, he helps plug our potential holes. He doesn't guarantee a championship but the potential payout he brings certainly increases our chances.

polandprzem
11-23-2010, 07:45 AM
It's hard to compare Oberto '06 to Splitter '11
different teams and esp. different expectations. spurs just cannot afford to sit a guy like Tiago on the bench when we need some interior presents against some serious opponents.

The thing is - for how long Pop will gonna use Bonner [also Dyess and Blair] minutes in the rotation. for how much and how long it helps to sit Splitter?

There will be a time that Pop will have to sneak Tiago into rotation and how he is going to do this, that's the problem to solve.

ManuTastic
11-23-2010, 08:51 AM
Hey Timvp:
I love the grades, but where's Pop's? I'm starting to get worried that he's going to 'disappear' Splitter as he has so many promising players in the past...

8FOR!3
11-23-2010, 08:59 AM
Bonner rocks right now. I'm finally proud to say I have a Matt Bonner jersey haha. I can't believe the guy got a rebound right out of Dwight Howard's hands though, that's a statement.

MoSpur
11-23-2010, 10:01 AM
I wish we got more rebounding like that from Bonner. I hope he continues to do so and continues to stay hot from 3pt land. Dude is on fire.

EVAY
11-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Damn, LJ, what the hell does TP have to do to get a staright A from you?

The guy has a terrific shooting night and a double-double (10 assists), timely three pointers, and you can't get any more than an A- out of that?!?!

I mean I know that you and Kori love TD more than anybody and all, but try a little bit of pretense at objectivity in these scores occasionally, okay?

Do you notice our offense when Tony (or Manu) is NOT in the game? Whenever George Hill is in there, the offense stagnates because Hill can't figure out what to do with the damn ball. When Tony is in, the whole thing runs much more smoothly, and by the way, if Tim was shooting a better percentage, Tony's assists would be higher than they are!

Ths is really getting irritating, man.

I can see not getting an A+ unless he has a double-double AND 35 points, but I really think you mess him up over and over again.

Pauleta14
11-23-2010, 11:16 AM

We all know that Ducks is an extremist, but I think "ego" has a point, Parker's efficiency and regularity through that game is impressive...

Dble dble, 60% shooting, constant D... deserves an A at least!

His only "mistake" was that last TO in "garbage time" when he tried that dumb pass to RJ...

Anyway, A- is a good grade, I guess timvp was expecting more from him! :lol

Mel_13
11-23-2010, 11:26 AM

The guy has a terrific shooting night and a double-double (10 assists), timely three pointers, and you can't get any more than an A- out of that?!?!

I mean I know that you and Kori love TD more than anybody and all, but try a little bit of pretense at objectivity in these scores occasionally, okay?

Do you notice our offense when Tony (or Manu) is NOT in the game? Whenever George Hill is in there, the offense stagnates because Hill can't figure out what to do with the damn ball. When Tony is in, the whole thing runs much more smoothly, and by the way, if Tim was shooting a better percentage, Tony's assists would be higher than they are!

I can see not getting an A+ unless he has a double-double AND 35 points, but I really think you mess him up over and over again.

:lol

These grades are, by their very nature, subjective.

SA210
11-23-2010, 11:33 AM
TP is at the top
24 pts 9/15

TP has been awesome. Loving the assists. But man, that last three pointer was sweet. He didn't hesitate at all, just swooshed it. Looked deadly coming from TP. :lol

Spurminator
11-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Manu Ginobili: A-
Tony Parker: A-

http://www.toplessrobot.com/donaldduck4.gif

Pauleta14
11-23-2010, 11:49 AM

These grades are, by their very nature, subjective.

We all know that! (that's why I was wondering what else/more timvp was expecting from Tony...?)

In other word (as some posters already asked) What kind of production does he needs to have to get (at least) an A (not even expecting an A+, I mean he's french, don't forget!:lol)

It's no big deal, but it's worth talking about it (that's the point of a forum no?)

Cessation
11-23-2010, 12:19 PM
30+ points and 10+ assists for parker to get an A i guess, hes done it before
I think, pop doesnt feel splitter is ready to play in very important, statement like games.
It looks like he wants to bring him up slow, give him some minutes against garbage teams like cavs and minesota.
This is not a bad idea, season only started, lots of time for him to get into game shape, and be ready to contribute in the playoffs. There is also rookie wall to consider which is minimazied with this approach.

Agloco
11-23-2010, 01:10 PM

I'd say his clutch shots in the 4th were a factor...

He's understanding that his role is sometimes in the forefront, and sometimes more supportive. Last year, he would have zoned out without getting touches. This year he sticks a HUGE three pointer late. Not worried a bit.

Indeed....RJ is still being agressive and making good choices when the opportunities present themselves.

Also, as stated: He's hitting shots when they matter now. This was completely absent last year.

If those things begin to dissappear, then I'll start worrying.

Spurs Brazil
11-23-2010, 01:41 PM
For me it was the biggest win of the season

TP and Manu were great, look what a summer of rest do

TD is playing great D and yesterday was no different

And big props to Bonner, he hit shots but his D was solid and also a very good job on the boards.

I also I'd like to see Tiago play but I understand Pop, Dice and Bonner are playing damn well, if Tiago is going to get minutes Blair would get DNP-CDs, and I don't think Pop will do that

Slomo
11-23-2010, 01:59 PM

When TP plays the way he was yesterday and gets "only" an A-, you need to take that as what it is: The ultimate compliment.

Despite his play timvp (and many others) think he is capable of more. How can you take that as an insult?

SenorSpur
11-23-2010, 02:05 PM

...and from the looks of it, neither does Blair.

z0sa
11-23-2010, 02:09 PM
When TP plays the way he was yesterday and gets "only" an A-, you need to take that as what it is: The ultimate compliment.

Despite his play timvp (and many others) think he is capable of more. How can you take that as an insult?

So you/TimVP and others feel TP can do better (average) than 24 points, 10 assists a night?

Agloco
11-23-2010, 02:15 PM
So you/TimVP and others feel TP can do better (average) than 24 points, 10 assists a night?

It probably stems from the fact that Nelson was slipping free on screens too often. Dunno, but that's really the only gripe I can come up with. Dumb play at the end too, but it was inconsequential.

EVAY
11-23-2010, 02:15 PM

Because he doesn't appear to grading TD on the same curve. TP should be graded vs. the other spurs that played in that game. That is what the headline says. It doesn't say "Spurs graded vs. their capablities". Spurs grades are vs. who is on the floor vs. the spurs and the other spurs players. TP has gotten the better of lots of high-profile point guards of late, but it doesn't seem to translate into respect vis-a-vis LJ and/or Kori, at least as grading relates to other spurs.

Right now, TP and Manu are carrying the team. Give them the props they deserve for carrying this team through the first month of the season with a better record than any other team.

z0sa
11-23-2010, 02:22 PM
It probably stems from the fact that Nelson was slipping free on screens too often. Dunno, but that's really the only gripe I can come up with. Dumb play at the end too, but it was inconsequential.

Yeah, but Dwight had a huge game on the stat sheet and Tim was hardly punished for it.

Just sayin'. Parker deserves an A+ anytime he gets a high scoring double double on 5:1 ratio. His defense has been solid all season, I think he deserves some benefit of the doubt against one of the best teams in the NBA.

It's not my grades, though. Timvp can do whatever the hell he wants.

timvp
11-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Damn, LJ, what the hell does TP have to do to get a staright A from you?I gave him an A+ a few days ago. I haven't graded him lower than A- in a while, IIRC.

The guy has a terrific shooting night and a double-double (10 assists), timely three pointers, and you can't get any more than an A- out of that?!?!There are two sides to the court. Parker's offense was probably an A+. Defensively, Parker had a handful of mistakes. With as great as he's defended lately, he didn't live up to those expectations against the Magic. He has set the bar high on both ends ... and that's what I'm grading him on.

:lmao Classic.

I've been called a homer for TD, Manu and TP. Mostly I'm called a TP homer. I get TD homer least of all. Thanks for evening it out a little bit.

I know I'm being fair when I get these types of complaints from all different angles. :tu

Slomo
11-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Because he doesn't appear to grading TD on the same curve. TP should be graded vs. the other spurs that played in that game. That is what the headline says. It doesn't say "Spurs graded vs. their capablities". Spurs grades are vs. who is on the floor vs. the spurs and the other spurs players. TP has gotten the better of lots of high-profile point guards of late, but it doesn't seem to translate into respect vis-a-vis LJ and/or Kori, at least as grading relates to other spurs.

Since the first time timvp started grading players it never worked like that. You're understanding of the grades is wrong.

Right now, TP and Manu are carrying the team. Give them the props they deserve for carrying this team through the first month of the season with a better record than any other team.

Which I believe many have admited, including timvp.

One last thing. I firmly believe the Spurs have won 4 championships because Pop, the management and the players never lost sight of the real goal (Championship) and every action, criticism, analysis is subject to that goal. I don't really care about who carries the team in game 13 of the regular season. I do however care about winning and where Tony and the others are in regard to what we need them to be to win it all - and believe it or not timvp has proven over the years to have a pretty good feel for that.

TJastal
11-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Hey I graded Parker an A- in my report too. Outstanding game, but had a couple short stretches during the game where he mentally "checked out", for whatever reason. But then again so did Manu. Not sure why both had the let downs, but its kind of troubling to say the least.

timvp
11-23-2010, 02:44 PM
TP should be graded vs. the other spurs that played in that game.

For the 45th billion time over the last dozen years, the grades are based on the expectations for each player. If I graded the players against each other, the Magic game would be graded:

TP A+
Manu A
TD A-
Jefferson F+
Blair F-
Bonner D-
McDyess F+
Hill F
Neal F-

And that's being generous to the players outside of the Big 3.

TP has gotten the better of lots of high-profile point guards of late, but it doesn't seem to translate into respect vis-a-vis LJ and/or Kori

Parker has been outstanding in all phases over the last seven games. He’s scoring efficiently without dominating the ball. He’s creating plays for others on a consistent basis without excessive turnovers. He’s defending better than he ever has in the regular season and he’s not getting in foul trouble or losing energy on the offensive end. For years, the coaching staff has urged Parker to use his speed as an asset on the defensive end just like he does on the other end. This season, we are finally seeing Parker do just that consistently. All in all, there’s not much to nitpick. More of the same would be appreciated by all.

http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/san-antonio-spurs-news/inside-the-spurs-player-by-player-analysis-last-7-games/

Not sure how much higher praise you want. "Outstanding in all phases" is a pretty good compliment in my book.

And what does Kori have to do with any of this? I haven't seen her handing out any disastrous A minuses.

Kori Ellis
11-23-2010, 02:50 PM
I've been handing Parker C-'s all season behind your back.

polandprzem
11-23-2010, 02:50 PM
He has set the bar high on both ends ... and that's what I'm grading him on.

Where was the bar set in the 1st game of a season?

And is the bar changing it's levels? [esp. taking the fact of the importance of the moths]

polandprzem
11-23-2010, 02:51 PM
TP A+
Manu A
TD A-
Jefferson F+
Blair F-
Bonner D-
McDyess F+
Hill F
Neal F-

:lmao

Too harsh IMHO

Slomo
11-23-2010, 02:53 PM

Kori Ellis
11-23-2010, 02:56 PM

My joke would have been better if I would have said I had been "texting him C-'s"

quentin_compson
11-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Not having Splitter in the playoff rotation means the Spurs aren't really serious about putting a fifth trophy in the case before Duncan retires...as I feel like this is the last year that feat is even discussable.

That's pretty much the way I see it. Splitter has to play more minutes on a regular basis. Not necessarily now, but once he is truly in shape, and at the very latest once Pop begins the process of settling on a playoff rotation. Even now, he probably should play more, given that he still needs to learn how the Spurs' systems work.

And what does Kori have to do with any of this? I haven't seen her handing out any disastrous A minuses.

Yeah, that's because she doesn't hate TP as much as you do. :p:

On a more serious note, this was a pretty good RS game by both teams. Both teams played well enough defensively, while at the same time shooting the ball well.
In the fourth quarter, Manu embodied pretty much everything that is great about basketball: heart, passion, mental toughness, and the combination of intelligence and athletic ability.

timvp
My joke would have been better if I would have said I had been "texting him C-'s"

Or even funnier: "sexting him D's".

Wait. That wouldn't funny :makemyday

duncan228

IIRC, timvp stopped doing grades at one point because of the confusion over how the grades work. Hope it doesn't go that far again, I like the grades. Maybe a one sentence intro line with the grades would clear it up so it doesn't have to be explained over and over.

polandprzem
11-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Where was the bar set in the 1st game of a season?

And is the bar changing it's levels? [esp. taking the fact of the importance of the months]

:blah

Pauleta14
11-23-2010, 03:22 PM
I found an interresting stat about TP, he has almost as many assists (102) and field goals (103) made since the start of the season!

Can't have a more balanced game than that...

PS/ timvp, please don't take offense when I/we dicuss about your grades, for my part, I appreciate you work, I just like disccussing about it to confront different POV, that all...
It's fine to disagree... We still won anyway!

EVAY
11-23-2010, 04:51 PM
For the 45th billion time over the last dozen years, the grades are based on the expectations for each player. If I graded the players against each other, the Magic game would be graded:

TP A+
Manu A
TD A-
Jefferson F+
Blair F-
Bonner D-
McDyess F+
Hill F
Neal F-

And that's being generous to the players outside of the Big 3.

Not sure how much higher praise you want. "Outstanding in all phases" is a pretty good compliment in my book.

Timvp

I just flat disagree with your grading of Parker, especially. Based on what you say you are basing the grading on (where the "expectations" are for each player), then I still disagree.

I don't claim to be the basketball guru that you do (and certainly I would be slapped down immediately if I ever did), but I don't think that you are infallible. So sue me.

YOU are the arbiter of 'expectations' so that a guy who does everything you said he has done in your write-up still cannot get a straight A. I told you I could see holding something back (i.e. the A+). But good grief, man...you are harder on some players than others and you damn well know it. And you are always gonna be easier on Tim than you are on others. If you don't recognize it, fine.

If you don't want people to disagree with you on your own forum, is its purpose merely to provide us with the 'revealed truth' on all matters personnel related for the Spurs?

Forget it. I sure as hell will.

polandprzem
11-23-2010, 05:37 PM
How a short line can provide a battle !

quentin_compson
11-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Well, as William Blake once said, opposition is true friendship.

Capt Bringdown
11-23-2010, 10:29 PM
That's pretty much the way I see it. Splitter has to play more minutes on a regular basis. Not necessarily now, but once he is truly in shape, and at the very latest once Pop begins the process of settling on a playoff rotation. Even now, he probably should play more, given that he still needs to learn how the Spurs' systems work.

Agreed. Flabbergasted to see Splitter get 10 seconds after a bust-out performance in the previous game. Given Pop's recent history, I'd say it's more to do with micro-management than savvy roster management.
We're rolling with wins now, but Blair over Splitter in the rotation seems like recipe for disappointment down the line.

timvp
11-23-2010, 10:46 PM
PS/ timvp, please don't take offense when I/we dicuss about your grades

No, it's cool. Grades by nature cause debate. It's obviously subjective so there are going to be different point of views. I'd be worried if we were all in agreement with each grade.

I just flat disagree with your grading of Parker, especially. Based on what you say you are basing the grading on (where the "expectations" are for each player), then I still disagree.

That's fine. As long as you are disagreeing knowing how the grades are based, I have no problem. And I truly did appreciate the "timvp is a homer to PLAYER X and expects too much from PLAYER Y". I can add it to my collection.

I don't think that you are infallible. So sue me.

After re-watching the game, I would elevate Parker's grade to "A". When I watched it live, it appeared to me that Parker gave up middle to Nelson a few times -- which was the reason why I thought his defense wasn't up to par. But watching again, I realized it was part of the gameplan to make Nelson drive and not allow him to rotate the ball along the perimeter to the three-point shooters. So what I thought was Parker not closing out properly was actually Parker following Pop's orders.

EVAY was right. Props. :tu

polandprzem
11-24-2010, 02:07 AM
How nice :)

JustinJDW
11-24-2010, 01:14 PM
I don't know why everyone cares so much about these damns grades. They're really just four our amusement. How about we just enjoy the games and see how we look in the standings.

:toast