PDA

View Full Version : SKorea: NKorea fires artillery onto island

symple19
11-23-2010, 02:17 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/11/23/skorea-nkorea-fires-artillery-island/

I always hold my breath when shit hits the fan between these two...Let's hope it doesn't escalate

The Reckoning
11-23-2010, 02:25 AM
:depressed

symple19
11-23-2010, 02:52 AM
:depressed

yeah, me too. I did a tour over there (area 1) and still have a Korean friend who was a KATUSA in my unit. Love that country and it's people, so I always cringe when it gets hot between the North and the South.

The DMZ is a scary place, and i'm not sure how many people know just how little it would take to set off some serious shit. I'll never forget driving through/over mountain passes/bridges that were rigged to blow in order to slow down a NK advance. We trained in areas that had extensive trench networks with dug-in, pre-positioned tanks and artillery that were always ready to go. Did the Panmunjom trip too. It always felt like I was going back in time when we were training near the DMZ, to some alternate universe where the Cold War never really ended, and I suppose in that area it hasn't. The sheer amount of firepower packed into that small area is staggering

I don't even like to think of how bad it would be if things went to full scale war. It wouldn't be like anything seen since the last Korean War, and probably much worse due to the size of the militaries involved.

Hope those crazy kids simmer down

baseline bum
11-23-2010, 03:15 AM
So the fat-fuck Dear Leader III wants to get some? Dear Leader II is practically dead, right? So it's lardass running the show?

Stringer_Bell
11-23-2010, 05:28 AM
yeah, me too. I did a tour over there (area 1) and still have a Korean friend who was a KATUSA in my unit. Love that country and it's people, so I always cringe when it gets hot between the North and the South.

The DMZ is a scary place, and i'm not sure how many people know just how little it would take to set off some serious shit. I'll never forget driving through/over mountain passes/bridges that were rigged to blow in order to slow down a NK advance. We trained in areas that had extensive trench networks with dug-in, pre-positioned tanks and artillery that were always ready to go. Did the Panmunjom trip too. It always felt like I was going back in time when we were training near the DMZ, to some alternate universe where the Cold War never really ended, and I suppose in that area it hasn't. The sheer amount of firepower packed into that small area is staggering

I don't even like to think of how bad it would be if things went to full scale war. It wouldn't be like anything seen since the last Korean War, and probably much worse due to the size of the militaries involved.

Hope those crazy kids simmer down

Thanks for the insight.

I'm not sure a war would be sustainable in terms of invasion from NK into SK, but lots of people would be killed by bomb blasts. And that's the problem with NK, they just seem content to destroy and manipulate their people into being content with nothingness, they don't give a fuck if they gain anything at all. The new kid doesn't seem to have learned shit from studying in Western schools. Terrible.

TDMVPDPOY
11-23-2010, 07:28 AM
we all know if this goes to a UN or nato meeting, look out for the chinese to veto...

seriously north korea u can just park ur subs n ships on its coasts and bombard the shit out of it...

BlairForceDejuan
11-23-2010, 09:21 AM
:bang

lefty
11-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Economy in U.S.A bad
Distract Americans from bad economy by telling N.Korea to start a war

Me speak english well

jack sommerset
11-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Fight,Fight,Fight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CosmicCowboy
11-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Meh...they aren't really gonna start anything major. They are dictators. They need to keep their population isolated, paranoid, and under control. They rattle their sabers and blow stuff up occasionally to keep their people sacrificing for the "defense" of their country...

George Gervin's Afro
11-23-2010, 11:25 AM
They need to keep their population isolated, paranoid, and under control....

ohh the irony..

YoungB
11-23-2010, 11:50 AM
ohh the irony..

seriously, the sheep doesn't even realize this is what the government is doing to most of you today with censorship and hiding the truth. global elitists will stop at nothing until their plan is complete

RandomGuy
11-23-2010, 12:02 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/11/23/skorea-nkorea-fires-artillery-island/

I always hold my breath when shit hits the fan between these two...Let's hope it doesn't escalate

Since the outright sinking of a South Korean warship a few months back the South has been in little mood to be nice.

Not sure if Fox noted this in your article, but the South has stepped up its military exercises, and one of those exercises involved lobbing artillery shells into some disputed offshore waters.

The North said that was unacceptable, and the South did it anyways.

This episode marks a dangerous escalation by all accounts.

I have a feeling China is going to be jerking very hard on the leash of its yappy lapdog behind the scenes.

CosmicCowboy
11-23-2010, 01:22 PM
seriously, the sheep doesn't even realize this is what the government is doing to most of you today with censorship and hiding the truth. global elitists will stop at nothing until their plan is complete

Arrogant little bitch, aren't you?

Nbadan
11-23-2010, 01:46 PM
will the south rise again?

Seoul, South Korea (CNN) -- Hours after North Korea's deadly artillery attacks Tuesday, South Korea's president said "enormous retaliation" is needed to stop Pyongyang's incitement, but international diplomats urgently appealed for restraint.

"The provocation this time can be regarded as an invasion of South Korean territory," President Lee Myung-bak said at the headquarters of the Joint Chiefs of Staff here, according to South Korea's Yonhap news agency.

The incident -- in which two South Korean marines died -- is "the first direct artillery attack on South Korean territory since the Korean War ended in an armistice, not a formal peace treaty" in the 1950s, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported.

Scott Snyder, director of the Center for U.S.-Korea Policy, the Asia Foundation, called the act a "very serious provocation" and said it was "unprecedented in recent years in terms of artillery beyond the DMZ into civilian areas."

More: CNN (Seoul, South Korea (CNN) -- Hours after North Korea's deadly artillery attacks Tuesday, South Korea's president said "enormous retaliation" is needed to stop Pyongyang's incitement, but international diplomats urgently appealed for restraint.

"The provocation this time can be regarded as an invasion of South Korean territory," President Lee Myung-bak said at the headquarters of the Joint Chiefs of Staff here, according to South Korea's Yonhap news agency.

The incident -- in which two South Korean marines died -- is "the first direct artillery attack on South Korean territory since the Korean War ended in an armistice, not a formal peace treaty" in the 1950s, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported.

Scott Snyder, director of the Center for U.S.-Korea Policy, the Asia Foundation, called the act a "very serious provocation" and said it was "unprecedented in recent years in terms of artillery beyond the DMZ into civilian areas."

More:[url=Seoul, South Korea (CNN) -- Hours after North Korea's deadly artillery attacks Tuesday, South Korea's president said "enormous retaliation" is needed to stop Pyongyang's incitement, but international diplomats urgently appealed for restraint.

More:[url=http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/11/23/nkorea.skorea.military.fire/index.html?on.cnn=1)

LnGrrrR
11-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Meh...they aren't really gonna start anything major. They are dictators. They need to keep their population isolated, paranoid, and under control. They rattle their sabers and blow stuff up occasionally to keep their people sacrificing for the "defense" of their country...

S Korea seems to think it was pretty major. All it takes is one misstep by either side.

I've got a friend stationed over there right now; hoping nothing goes down.

jack sommerset
11-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Koreans eat dog

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cFyLOWdXMQk/SpszbIJ7P7I/AAAAAAAAAjo/CFWMvV0cj7c/s400/boshintang.jpg

Speaking of eating dogs, George did u ever spread jam on your ass and let fido go to town on you, you sick fucker.

CosmicCowboy
11-23-2010, 01:55 PM
S Korea seems to think it was pretty major. All it takes is one misstep by either side.

Naturally SK is gonna trash talk but IMHO they won't escalate. China is the 800 pound gorilla in the room.

LnGrrrR
11-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Naturally SK is gonna trash talk but IMHO they won't escalate. China is the 800 pound gorilla in the room.

Hopefully you're right. They seem itching for a fight.

CosmicCowboy
11-23-2010, 02:14 PM
They are probably still trying to figure out what the hell happened. You know SK fired artillery from the island first, right?...just not AT NK. Could have been a trigger happy reaction from the local NK military commander, or even more likely, ordered by the military (to keep tensions up) in a power struggle in the transition...

MannyIsGod
11-23-2010, 02:17 PM

I think you're right but I don't think its because of China. Its because of the total destruction NK would rain down on Seoul. The fall of NK would mean tons of refugees crossing Chinese borders and thats the last thing they want. They also don't want to have to deal with this shit. Their relationship is very much love hate with NK but I don't think they'd ever support them in a war with the US and SK.

LnGrrrR
11-23-2010, 02:19 PM
They are probably still trying to figure out what the hell happened. You know SK fired artillery from the island first, right?...just not AT NK. Could have been a trigger happy reaction from the local NK military commander, or even more likely, ordered by the military (to keep tensions up) in a power struggle in the transition...

Yes, but according to SK, they informed NK ahead of time. Like I said, lots of tension, and all it takes is one misstep, real or perceived.

TeyshaBlue
11-23-2010, 02:23 PM
will the south rise again?

Win.:lol

TeyshaBlue
11-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Yes, but according to SK, they informed NK ahead of time. Like I said, lots of tension, and all it takes is one misstep, real or perceived.

There's already lots of dead SK soldiers in the mix. I'm not sure how much more restraint they can show.

RandomGuy
11-23-2010, 02:33 PM

... with the US being the 1,000 pound gorilla backing them.

I think the Chinese are going to be pushing very hard on both Koreas to tone it down, though.

MannyIsGod
11-23-2010, 02:46 PM
I wonder where the line is. I really don't think NK has crossed it and the longer that we go without a retaliation (militarily) by the South the more I think thats confirmed but where exactly is that line?

CosmicCowboy
11-23-2010, 02:49 PM
I wonder where the line is. I really don't think NK has crossed it and the longer that we go without a retaliation (militarily) by the South the more I think thats confirmed but where exactly is that line?

The 38th parallel? :p:

LnGrrrR
11-23-2010, 02:54 PM

*GROAN*

:lol

TeyshaBlue
11-23-2010, 02:56 PM

Bassmaster.:toast

MannyIsGod
11-23-2010, 02:57 PM
:lmao

velik_m
11-23-2010, 04:09 PM

This. The dictatorship desperately needs an outside threat to divert the attention from inner problems.

symple19
11-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Since the outright sinking of a South Korean warship a few months back the South has been in little mood to be nice.

Not sure if Fox noted this in your article, but the South has stepped up its military exercises, and one of those exercises involved lobbing artillery shells into some disputed offshore waters.

The North said that was unacceptable, and the South did it anyways.

This episode marks a dangerous escalation by all accounts.

I have a feeling China is going to be jerking very hard on the leash of its yappy lapdog behind the scenes.

Yeah, I read that on one of my later e-mail alerts. This isn't anything new, the NKPA/PN do the same things on a fairly regular basis. It's a perpetual pissing contest. They (NKPA) would lob the occasional shell into the No-man's land area of the DMZ even when I was there in 02'. I have no doubt the ROK army does similar things, but never (to my knowledge) have they targeted actual military or civilian locations within sovereign territory. You're correct that this represents a dangerous escalation.

It would seem this is yet another attention grab, a disproportionate response to something that happens there quite often. The exercises on both sides of the DMZ regularly number in the tens of thousands, so I highly doubt that the NKPA, no matter how paranoid, actually felt threatened by whatever it was the ROKs were doing off the coast.

As for China, I think the North Koreans are a bit of a paradox to them. On the one hand, they are probably a useful tool for the Chinese to counter American power on the peninsula. On the other, they are an unpredictable, 'yappy dog' (lol, nice), that is always pissing in the house and running off and doing it's own thing. I agree the Chinese can probably reign them in better than most, but just how much they can control the NKs is debatable.

It's no wonder that this has been such a conundrum for so many administrations. I surely don't pretend to have any answers. There is more gray area here than in most other parts of the world, and all I want to see ultimately is peace on this beautiful peninsula

symple19
11-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Hopefully you're right. They seem itching for a fight.

This is true. I exchanged a few FB messages with my Korean friend early this morning while it was going down. Korean young adults, who are usually the ones who want peace and better relations with the north (while also tending to be a bit more anti-US), are even starting to reflect a fighting mood.

I can sympathize. I know how I would feel if my people and my military were repeatedly used as target practice to send messages to other nations.

Wild Cobra
11-23-2010, 04:51 PM

Yes, it's been a while since something this significant has happened. Timing's good for N. Korea making me wonder what Obama told the Chinese in Asia. Did he promise them we wouldn't interfere? Then the recent show and tell of the state of the art uranium refining facilities before this. They wanted us to know they have the capacity to make a bomb.

What's next? Definitely different than the past. I can understand S. Korea being worried. This could be more than saber rattling. I hope not. I spent 2 years in S. Korea myself. Great place.

Wild Cobra
11-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Koreans eat dog

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cFyLOWdXMQk/SpszbIJ7P7I/AAAAAAAAAjo/CFWMvV0cj7c/s400/boshintang.jpg

Haven't you ever had dagigogi?

Wild Cobra
11-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Where did they fire it at? Maybe it was a simple mistake, but anytime a world power has training exercises that may be seen by other powers, it's standard procedure to let other countries know.

So... What really happened?

Wild Cobra
11-23-2010, 04:58 PM
We also know that the north has a shitty infrastructure. Maybe their military communications isn't much better. Maybe one unit never was notified. That's all it takes.

then again... Maybe it was an excuse...

SnakeBoy
11-24-2010, 04:54 AM
They said the president was awakened at 3:55 am with the news of the attack. I think Hillary set this whole thing up.

MannyIsGod
11-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Moving a CAG there now. Pretty much the no brainier next step in case shit really goes down.

CosmicCowboy
11-24-2010, 11:55 AM
They said the president was awakened at 3:55 am with the news of the attack. I think Hillary set this whole thing up.

7yr7odFUARg

boutons_deux
11-24-2010, 12:55 PM
CO-HOST: How would you handle a situation like the one that just developed in North Korea? [...]

PALIN: But obviously, we’ve got to stand with our North Korean allies. We’re bound to by treaty –

CO-HOST: South Korean.

PALIN: Eh, Yeah. And we’re also bound by prudence to stand with our South Korean allies, yes.

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/11/24/palin-north-korea/

============

Can she see N or S K from her backyard? :lol

LnGrrrR
11-24-2010, 04:10 PM
CO-HOST: How would you handle a situation like the one that just developed in North Korea? [...]

PALIN: But obviously, we’ve got to stand with our North Korean allies. We’re bound to by treaty –

CO-HOST: South Korean.

PALIN: Eh, Yeah. And we’re also bound by prudence to stand with our South Korean allies, yes.

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/11/24/palin-north-korea/

============

Can she see N or S K from her backyard? :lol

A simple flub, but mildly funny anyways. :lol

Drachen
11-24-2010, 04:53 PM

:lol

Wild Cobra
11-24-2010, 09:18 PM
They must have calculated the time zone an hour off?