PDA

View Full Version : Who should play next to Duncan

dbestpro
11-23-2010, 11:30 AM
There has been some discussion as to who should start or play major minutes next to Duncan. Should it be Bonner, Blair, Dice or Splitter?

I think the answer should be and is, all of the above.

Pop will continue to rotate this position based off of match ups. Outside bigs will see Bonner. Physical bigs will see Blair. Savvy bigs will see Dice, and Tall bigs will see Splitter.

Blair will continue to start under such a scenario because as we saw with Orlando, Pop will yank him with less than a minute played if he is not effective.

Ginobilly
11-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Spurs could get away starting Blair on Center for just about every team except the Lakers and Boston. When is Pop going to start experimenting playing Splitter and Duncan together? I'd like to see what our defense would look like with Splitter and Duncan anchoring the paint area?

EVAY
11-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Spurs could get away starting Blair on Center for just about every team except the Lakers and Boston. When is Pop going to start experimenting playing Splitter and Duncan together? I'd like to see what our defense would look like with Splitter and Duncan anchoring the paint area?

soon, I hope. I know he didn't have training camp, but he has to get used to playing with Tim for the duo to be ready at the end of the year. Or is he (Pop) just going to use Duncan with Bonner or Dice and Splitter with the other? To me, Blair is the question mark right now. I know Bonner can get to be terrible, but right now he is fine.

Agloco
11-23-2010, 12:56 PM

Really? How ugly do you think it would have gotten if Blair was on Howard last night?

I love the Beast as much as the other guy, but last night he was exactly where he needed to be: On the bench.

lefty
11-23-2010, 01:01 PM
Really? How ugly do you think it would have gotten if Blair was on Howard last night?

I love the Beast as much as the other guy, but last night he was exactly where he needed to be: On the bench.
This; he can't handle Lewis

urunobili
11-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Splitter like Scola, uses Timmy's spots on the court that's why it wouldn't work have them together.

GabeIsGone
11-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Splitter like Scola, uses Timmy's spots on the court that's why it wouldn't work have them together.

BULL. Blair is stuck even closer to the rim than Tiago and hes been starting next to Tim this whole time.

Ginobilly
11-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Enough with the tease Pop, just play Duncan and Splitter together now! With the way Pop is, and his infamous history of how he manages rookies, I don't see either blair or Splitter in the lineup during crunch-time against the elite teams during the regular season and in the playoffs. I guess we are going to have roll the dice again with either Dyce or Bonner again in the playoffs.

jjktkk
11-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Does Pop really have to have a consistant starter? Just start Blair, Bonner, McDyess, Splitter, etc..., based on the opposing teams lineup, with the hope that someone out of this group can step and be a consistant starter.

SA210
11-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Splitter next to Duncan, period! Screw the matchups, let them match up to us. We need to get back to Spurs ball, defense.

Darkwaters
11-23-2010, 02:09 PM
I think we need to play Neal as the small ball 4 and play him next to Duncan...

EVAY
11-23-2010, 02:20 PM

Please don't talk about ways to improve small ball. It only encourages Pop.

Dice
11-23-2010, 02:39 PM
It seems like McDyess plays well with whoever he's matched up with. He can stay down low when Bonner's in the game and operates at the perimeter pretty well too with his jumper. It seems like he's the only one they really go to on the pick and pop.

Also, no disrespect to Blair, but McDyess seems to do a much better job on post defense, regardless to the type of player he's defending.

Bonner plays well with Duncan and Dice. Bonner and Blair leave the frontcourt weak on defense.

Blair with Duncan seems to me, kinda crowded. It's almost like Tim has to go out of his way to make room for Blair, especially on offense. Blair works with Dice, but still not the strongest combo the Spurs could have in the frontcourt. I don't know how a Blair/Tiago would work out at this point.

I do think Tiago/Tim, Tiago/Dice, and Tiago/Bonner would probably do fine.

I personally would like to see Tiago in Blair's spot, with McDyess and Bonner continuing to fill the role they're currently playing. Blair's a good player but I don't really see where he's a step up from Tiago, other than possibly knowing the system better.

This all of course coming from a McDyess homer.

Obstructed_View
11-23-2010, 02:54 PM
I liked the Spurs better when they just took care of their business and made other teams match up to them. They've had way more success when they did that. Splitter and Duncan should be starting together every single game.

TJastal
11-23-2010, 02:55 PM
It seems like McDyess plays well with whoever he's matched up with. He can stay down low when Bonner's in the game and operates at the perimeter pretty well too with his jumper. It seems like he's the only one they really go to on the pick and pop.

Also, no disrespect to Blair, but McDyess seems to do a much better job on post defense, regardless to the type of player he's defending.

Bonner plays well with Duncan and Dice. Bonner and Blair leave the frontcourt weak on defense.

Blair with Duncan seems to me, kinda crowded. It's almost like Tim has to go out of his way to make room for Blair, especially on offense. Blair works with Dice, but still not the strongest combo the Spurs could have in the frontcourt. I don't know how a Blair/Tiago would work out at this point.

I do think Tiago/Tim, Tiago/Dice, and Tiago/Bonner would probably do fine.

I personally would like to see Tiago in Blair's spot, with McDyess and Bonner continuing to fill the role they're currently playing. Blair's a good player but I don't really see where he's a step up from Tiago, other than possibly knowing the system better.

This all of course coming from a McDyess homer.

+1

You're take on McDyess is spot on. If the guy could still put in 40+ minutes he'd be racking up huge rebound totals and his post defense is superb even against behemoths like Howard, yet he can guard quicker bigs out on the perimeter no problem. Truly the most versatile big the spurs have defensively, with the exception of perhaps Splitter, who we haven't seen enough of yet.

And if starting Splitter gets Splitter into the rotation I'm all for Splitter starting. Blair might do better anyway as a bench player at this point, battling Bonner for minutes.

As for which gets minutes as the 4th big, Bonner or Blair, really depends on the situation and how each one is playing. My gut feel is Blair & McDyess would be a more effective tandem, especially on the boards. Plus this kind of forces Hill to step up his offensive game, which we know he's capable of. I really think Bonner's shooting touch is going to yo-yo quite a bit where Blair's rebounding will remain a constant and that's why I prefer him.

polandprzem
11-23-2010, 02:58 PM
I liked the Spurs better when they just took care of their business and made other teams match up to them. They've had way more success when they did that. Splitter and Duncan should be starting together every single game.

Not every single but Tiago should be the one.

He is good compliment to TD.
Hopefully Pop will not use Splitter as a spark from the bench - all in all he can use TD's and Tiagos minues more or less like Daves and Tims. With Blair and Dyess of the bench.

Obstructed_View
11-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Not every single but Tiago should be the one.

He is good compliment to TD.
Hopefully Pop will not use Splitter as a spark from the bench - all in all he can use TD's and Tiagos minues more or less like Daves and Tims. With Blair and Dyess of the bench.

I don't disagree with you, but matchups or game situations can necessitate using other guys more than at other times, and that option is always there. In my opnion, adjustments are for in-game, not pre-game. I still think you start your best players, and Splitter is the most promising big the Spurs have had since Duncan. If the Spurs really believe that Duncan is a power forward, then Splitter is the only center on the squad.

Come on. Tell me you don't miss that High/Low that Robinson and Duncan had. :)

Barfunk
11-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Splitter next to Duncan, period!

and this

Splitter and Duncan should be starting together every single game.

And let Bonner come off the bench to drain 3's. Very simple. Or is it easier said than done?

polandprzem
11-23-2010, 03:09 PM
I don't disagree with you, but matchups or game situations can necessitate using other guys more than at other times, and that option is always there. In my opnion, adjustments are for in-game, not pre-game. I still think you start your best players, and Splitter is the most promising big the Spurs have had since Duncan. If the Spurs really believe that Duncan is a power forward, then Splitter is the only center on the squad.

Come on. Tell me you don't miss that High/Low that Robinson and Duncan had. :)

Jeez Krist man I'm about to watch all spurs finals once again.
I've already got the VHS from the 1999 of the shelf, well of the box [not sure if english correct]

HE needs to start next to TD but not necessary now. Although the chemistry must to be build and you testing it in battles.
My concern will start at the begining of a year. If Split gonna be warming the bench until that time, not cracking the rotation. I'm gonna text message Pop!

Chomag
11-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Splitter next to Duncan, period! Screw the matchups, let them match up to us. We need to get back to Spurs ball, defense.

This would be nice becuase all you hear are Spurs matching up and not the other way around these last few years. Also if splitter starting that would be less of a temptation for Pop to give the rook a DNP.

Sounds pretty win win to me but it's whatever the Boss thinks lol

SA210
11-23-2010, 03:10 PM

Obstructed_View
11-23-2010, 03:11 PM
And let Bonner come off the bench to drain 3's. Very simple. Or is it easier said than done?

Yeah, it seems pretty simple. Bonner can get into every single game, and his minutes are dictated by how he's shooting. 36 minutes seems excessive in just about all cases.

DieHardSpursFan1537
11-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Yeah I'd like Duncan and Splitter starting together.

jjktkk
11-23-2010, 06:22 PM
I too believe Splitter will eventually start. When is the million dollar question? Don't know if it happens this year, but next year for sure. That doesn't mean Splitter won't evolve into a solid center this year, but he might not start necessairly this year.

iManu
11-23-2010, 06:38 PM
What a horrible problem to have.

mystargtr34
11-23-2010, 08:02 PM

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/1114/pg2_g_popovich_400.jpg

TD 21
11-23-2010, 08:51 PM
The answer is obviously all of the above. But eventually, McDyess should and most likely will be his primary partner.

As I had suspected, we're not going to see much of Duncan-Splitter this season. People can pull the "it's early" excuse all they want, the reality is Pop views Splitter as Duncan's backup; not his sidekick (at least for this season). The only possible exceptions where we may see this pairing with some regularity are the Lakers and the Mavs.

Once the playoff rotation is set, McDyess and Bonner are probably going to basically share the PF position and either Blair or Splitter (I suspect Splitter, though it could be dependent on match-up) are probably going to get roughly a dozen minutes a game backing up Duncan.

11-23-2010, 09:01 PM
mcdyess will likely start in the playoffs.

Obstructed_View
11-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Pop's answer in the Mailbag concerning Splitter shed a bit of light on it. He seemed to indicate that Splitter didn't piss and moan about getting DNP and that he might reward him for that going forward. Maybe he's just been hazing guys that put their own playing time before the team all these years.

stealthjbravo
11-24-2010, 12:17 AM
The answer is Scola

EricB
11-24-2010, 12:23 AM
When he's ready splitter. I doubt pop will do it though and I think by playoff time it'll be mcdyess...