PDA

View Full Version : to beat the lakers, maybe all the threes are the strategy?

td4mvp3
11-23-2010, 05:00 PM
i figure no one's going to match la for size, so the best counter is to go out where size matters less, i.e., three-point line. bonner seems to being doing well (though we all fully expect his disappearance in the playoffs) manu, hill, anderson. maybe that's why they seem to be jacking them up all the time?

DeadlyDynasty
11-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Might grab you a couple games but that method is destined to fail over a 7 game series

rayray2k8
11-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Might grab you a couple games but that method is destined to fail over a 7 game series

Actually, that's how the Suns beat the Spurs last year... So, don't give us that crap. :lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Maybe, maybe not. It seems a bit gimmicky for what Spurs fans have come to expect. Another option is that it's a better strategy for staying healthy in the early part of the season than a more physical, grind it out defensive style.

DazedAndConfused
11-23-2010, 05:36 PM
That's exactly what Phil Jackson would want the Spurs to do. The entire Laker defense is predicated around not giving up points in the paint, Phil will live with a team having to have a great night from 3pt land just to beat the Lakers.

Boston layed the blueprint in '08 on how to beat these Lakers. Unfortunately these Lakers have learned, gotten stronger, and most importantly know how to overcome that kind of play. I feel sorry for the rest of the league, you really just don't have a chance.

Ginobilly
11-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Maybe, maybe not. It seems a bit gimmicky for what Spurs fans have come to expect. Another option is that it's a better strategy for staying healthy in the early part of the season than a more physical, grind it out defensive style.

This!

It's going to take a little bit of everything to beat the Lakers imo, but most importantly, BBall IQ! I want to see some scrappy defense from the Spurs if they play the Lakers in the playoffs. I want to see Manu(Did you'll see Manu pull a chris Paul on Howard yesterday? I want to see him do that against Bynum)) and TP pull out all of their bag of tricks against them. I want to see some hard fouls on Lamar Kardashian(and Kobe too).(This muhfucker always kills us with his penetration and offensive rebounding)

lil'mo
11-23-2010, 05:40 PM
lol gasol trade

quentin_compson
11-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Weren't the Lakers the best team defending the three last year? I doubt that strategy is going to work over the course of a playoff series.

SA210
11-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Start Tiago

DeadlyDynasty
11-23-2010, 05:55 PM
lol gasol trade

lol internet dramaqueen

Ginobilly
11-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Start Tiago

I think the Spurs have a pretty good shot at upsetting the Lakers in the Playoffs. I think the Spurs and Lakers are pretty even on some positions nowadays that it will come down to: Tiago(Bonner?)/Mcdyess/ vs Bynum/Odom. So far it looks like the Lakers have the advantage because they're the defending champs, but an NBA season is really long.

mingus
11-23-2010, 06:39 PM
all rests on Duncan. if Duncan can somehow turn back the clock, there's no defensive scheme in the world that can stop this team. he looks really good this year so we'll see.

jjktkk
11-23-2010, 06:44 PM
The Spurs, if healthy, can be the biggest threat to the lakers. One of the Lakers troll shockingly came up with a valid point, in that the Spurs cannot beat the Lakers in a series by just strictly relying on their 3-point shooting. But the Spurs, this year, are showing how versatile their offense is. Parker, Ginoboli, and Jefferson are penetrating to score or dish off. Duncan can still dominate in spurts. Throw in reliable scoring off the bench in Bonner, Neal, and Anderson, and you have a really impressive group of offensive weapons. Thats not even considering what Splitter can eventually contribute on the offensive end, once he becomes accaimated to the Spurs system. Everyday more and more Laker trolls are poping up on the Spurs forum, so we Spurs fans know the Laker fans are getting a bit anxious. Just kinda of suprised their coming out so soon.

mystargtr34
11-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Maybe the Spurs can trade for a Kobe Bryant equal....James Anderson Matt Bonner and a 2nd round pick for Dwyane Wade or Kevin Durant?

That would even things up.

11-23-2010, 06:49 PM
phoenix and orlando already tried that and they are both equal if not better 3pt shooting teams.

DeadlyDynasty
11-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Maybe the Spurs can trade for a Kobe Bryant equal....James Anderson Matt Bonner and a 2nd round pick for Dwyane Wade or Kevin Durant?

That would even things up.

You mean like trading a box of dildos for a 17-20ppg SF and some cap space?

hmmmmm

Russ
11-23-2010, 08:30 PM
To beat the Lakers step by step.

Step 1 -- Smirky Bynum must be out for the year. (Or Smirky Bryant, but that's less likely.)

Step 2 -- Splitter steps up.

step 3 -- No injuries to our Big Three.

Danny.Zhu
11-23-2010, 08:47 PM
Suns already used that strategy last year, see what that turns out...

DieHardSpursFan1537
11-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Spurs need to stay healthy, and they need Tiago to improve more and more. George Hill's been looking really bad recently also. I hope he can start stepping up more.

dunkman
11-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Since the 2009-2010 season, the Spurs match up well against the Lakers. This Spurs team has improved importantly this season.

Overall, Phil isn't nor was ever better coach than Pop.

DJ Mbenga
11-23-2010, 09:50 PM
its actualy very simple for the spurs. health for them, no health for lakers. otherwise it aint happening in a 7 game series. if series were 5 games it would be very dangerous and realistic of the spurs to beat them but 7 games not really

mystargtr34
11-23-2010, 09:55 PM
You mean like trading a box of dildos for a 17-20ppg SF and some cap space?

hmmmmm

Really? Your comparing RJ to Pau Gasol? I guess its Kobe fan so points scored is the only statistic that registers.

DazedAndConfused
11-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Boston is the only team in the league that can truly give the Lakers trouble over a 7 game series. Now that they've bolstered their front line they will certainly be a more intimidating foe this time around should the Lakers face them in the Finals.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Boston is the only team in the league that can truly give the Lakers trouble over a 7 game series. Now that they've bolstered their front line they will certainly be a more intimidating foe this time around should the Lakers face them in the Finals.

:tu

The Spurs will make it the toughest series between the two since 2004, but I'd say Lakers in six.

The_Worlds_finest
11-23-2010, 10:42 PM
the key to beating the lakers is having a better bench, making their starters get into foul trouble, hitting free throws, and create match up problems.