PDA

View Full Version : On San Antonio: Can the sizzling Spurs really give the Lakers a run in the West?

jestersmash
11-24-2010, 04:01 PM
On San Antonio: Can the sizzling Spurs really give the Lakers a run in the West? (http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/11/24/blogtable-sizzling-spurs/)

David Aldridge: They’re one wing player short: someone who could team with RJ to make Kobe work for points. What’s Tayshaun doing?

Steve Aschburner: Sure the Spurs can push and even threaten the Lakers in the West. The pace of the playoffs suits them more than any other team – even though they’re winning games fast or slow this season, in both double and triple digits. They play as a unit better than the Lakers, even if they don’t have quite the same skill level or star power. Richard Jefferson is having the season he was supposed to have a year ago. Tim Duncan, despite reduced numbers, remains as dangerous in a playoff series as an alligator with only its eyes and nostrils breaking the surface. And if Andrew Bynum can’t return with any reliability for L.A. inside, the presumed size disadvantage diminishes. Key, as usual, is staying healthy and fresh enough until May.

Art Garcia: Um, yeah. The only other current collection of peers with a championship pedigree matching — surpassing? — the Lakers reside in South Texas. Timmy, Manu, Tony and Pop own 14 rings between them. They’re haven’t forgotten how to win — 12-1 anyone? The Spurs are deeper, with a younger and more dynamic supporting cast, and they play the best team basketball this side of, well, the Lakers.

Fran Blinebury: No question the Spurs are a real threat to the Lakers, much more than the Hornets.. For one, the trio of Duncan-Ginobili-Parker is all healthy together for the first time in several years. Last year’s acquisitions of Richard Jefferson and Antonio McDyess have had a year to adapt to the Spurs’ way of doing things and so they’re more comfortable and productive. In DeJuan Blair, Gary Neal and James Anderson, they have real depth. And in Tiago Splitter they’ve got another big defender against the Lakers’ front line.

Scott Howard-Cooper: The Lakers at their best beat anybody else at their best. But if San Antonio is going to continue to put pressure on defenses with this kind of scoring output, the threat grows. Everybody already knows the Spurs will rebound and play defense. This isn’t their ideal defensive start, but that isn’t usually much of a problem for them.

Shaun Powell: Yes, yes, yes. Tim Duncan is once again on auto-pilot until the post-season, while Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker are showing they still have what it takes to give the Spurs a legit Big Three. You also have to thank whoever woke up Richard Jefferson. But the question posed here is whether the Spurs can give the Lakers a run, not if the Spurs can beat the Lakers. A run? Yes, yes, yes. Beat? No, no, no

John Schuhmann: Give them a run? Sure. Insert standard “if they’re healthy” caveat here. Four weeks into the season, it seems like Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili still have plenty left in the tank. Richard Jefferson is much more comfortable this season, and that also makes a big difference. The Spurs are one of the few teams in the league that can be great on both ends of the floor, and they match up pretty well with the Lakers. L.A. is still better though.

Sekou Smith: Save the Geritol jokes, please. Yes they can. In fact, the Spurs, Mavericks and Thunder all look like they can give the Lakers a “run” in the West. I don’t know that any one of them looks like they could top the Lakers but they could certainly give it a shot. The Spurs’ hot start is only part of their appeal for me. All the ingredients are there. They have a core group that is just as or more accomplished than any other crew in the league, they have quality role players that know to stay in their lanes and they have Gregg Popovich on the bench. Obviously, they need Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili to stay as healthy as humanly possible. But all of their other working parts seem to be in order for at least one more title run.

DJ Mbenga
11-24-2010, 04:04 PM
so basically they all said maybe but with a gun to my head the answer is no?

Drachen
11-24-2010, 04:51 PM

This sounds about right. Honestly, especially with them being the defending champions, I don't see any reason to put the spurs above the lakers at the moment. Our fast start is great for us to see, and trust me, I am loving it. I even think we have a shot at y'all, but until I see us take a shot at y'all I have to reserve judgment at the moment. I will say this, if we keep this up, I am begging for a Lakers/Spurs WCF. I think it would be a fantastic series and fun to watch.

xtremesteven33
11-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Spurs and Lakers always comes down to health and execution. There are rarely any blowouts between these two teams. Almost every game is an instant classic. Both teams play with a high basketball IQ and no other team besides the Spurs have the knowledge on how to beat the Lakers.

Tim, Tony and Manu have done it before and are not scared of them. As a matter of fact, I know they believe they can beat them if healthy. The Lakers look great this year but so do the Spurs. Kobe can be contained unlike years past. Duncan always steps up against the Lakers. Gasol and Duncan is a wash IMO. Pop vs Phil is always fantastic to watch.

Its not always about matchups, its about execution. The Lakers know what the Spurs are gonna do and vice versa. IF healthy, the Spurs can Damn well beat the Lakers.

ALVAREZ6
11-24-2010, 06:51 PM
I am just hoping the Spurs make it to the WCF and meet the Lakers. Regardless of the outcome, it would be a legendary series. The two most successful franchises this past decade and both are really strong teams currently playing well.

Spursmania
11-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Splitter and health are the key to beating the Lakers. If Pop can't trust Tiago to come in and wreak some havoc with the big boys-Spurs have no chance. That means Pop needs to start playing him and getting him acclimated.

We all know Bonner is not the big that will help stop the Lakers, McDyess can only play so much given his age and Timmy can't play heavy minutes effectively either. Blair can help some but his size is a big issue against the long and lengthy Lakers.

My guess is Pop has some evil plan to introduce Tiago to the Lakers when Pop believes he's ready. What is Pop waiting for with Tiago? Who the fuck knows.

wildbill2u
11-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Splitter is the wild card. If he can assimilate the system well enough to be a capable starter by the playoffs, then the dominance of the Fakers bigs on the boards isn't a foregone conclusion.

Give Kobe his points. You seldom see one man teams win the playoffs.

Trill Clinton
11-24-2010, 07:32 PM
This sounds about right. Honestly, especially with them being the defending champions, I don't see any reason to put the spurs above the lakers at the moment. Our fast start is great for us to see, and trust me, I am loving it. I even think we have a shot at y'all, but until I see us take a shot at y'all I have to reserve judgment at the moment. I will say this, if we keep this up, I am begging for a Lakers/Spurs WCF. I think it would be a fantastic series and fun to watch.

alladis

TampaDude
11-24-2010, 07:55 PM
I know it's a long season, and anything can happen, but at this point you gotta see the Lakers and Spurs as favorites to meet in the WCF this time around.

Spursfanfromafar
11-24-2010, 09:26 PM
As usual David Aldridge is on the money. Nice understated journalist.

If we get Tayshaun Prince a la McDyess-back-to-Pistons-cut-by-Nuggets, nothing like it. It would mean we have the defensive minded, long armed 3 who, if plays to his potential, can be the missing piece in Spurs' quest to overhaul the Lakers.

Yorae
11-24-2010, 11:17 PM
In short, who fucking knows. Bring in the playoffs man! Damn it its still november!

EricB
11-25-2010, 12:01 AM
The Spurs have nothing I'd want to trade for Tayshaun Prince.

If he where bought out sure, but not willing to trade anything for him.

TDMVPDPOY
11-25-2010, 12:05 AM
its a trap

Danny.Zhu
11-25-2010, 12:10 AM

Yes indeed. And I agree.

Capt Bringdown
11-25-2010, 09:30 AM
The Lakers attack is more than the Spurs, or likely anyone else in the league can handle. We'd need an elite defense to topple them, with players like Duncan in his prime, Horry, Bowen and D-Rob. Nobody's beating the Lakers this year but themselves, and that seems unlikely as they are a seasoned championship squad that appears to be even better than last year.

And our offense is too dependent on the 3 as well. Depending on Bonner to show up in the playoffs is simply asking to be eliminated.

Homeland Security
11-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Please. Against a geriatric and increasingly immobile Duncan paired with either a grossly undersized, foul-prone, and defensively inept Blair, an aged and moderately undersized McDyess, a defensively useless Bonner, or an NBA-inexperienced and rail-thin Splitter, the Lakers' bigs will feast on the Spurs even if Bynum is hurt. With a healthy Bynum, it will become an evisceration.

Tim Duncan is now only like the third- or fourth-best player on the San Antonio Spurs. The slack is being picked up because Ginobili is back to his 2008 All-NBA form and Parker is back to his 2009 All-NBA form while Jefferson has turned into a major contributor. Meanwhile Ginobili is playing the kind of heavy minutes that mean he will either be totally spent or wearing a suit on the bench by the All-Star Break.

This 13-1 start can be compared to DeJuan Blair's knees, with the frontcourt and the defense as ligaments, and the guards and the scoring as surrounding muscles. There no longer are any ACL's, and while the surrounding muscles can be strong enough to compensate for a little while and make the knees perform, over the long term you know it's not going to last and the knees will wear down and fail.

The Spurs have transformed from a defensive-stalwart championship team into a score-happy guard team that entertains fans but has no playoff prospects. Add up all the championships won by the Phoenix Suns, Dallas Mavericks, Sacramento Kings over the past dozen years to give you an idea of where this team is going.

Barring SA getting like 90 a night just from Ginobili, Parker, and Jefferson (with the wear and tear after Ginobili carrying the team all season, no less) and just somehow outscoring LA, it's a four-game series, five at most. The Spurs' hot start makes no difference. All it means is that they'll end up in the top half of the playoff draw rather than the bottom half. They remain nothing but fodder for the Lakers' machine.

But first you will blow me.

elbamba
11-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Sounds like what everyone said in 2003.

Russ
11-25-2010, 11:56 AM
But first you will blow me.

Homeland Security must be getting in the mood for his Thanksgiving TSA pat downs.

Sounds like what everyone said in 2003.

2003 -- Spurs end Lakers' threepeat (bid for 4). End Lakers' 14 series playoff win streak (with the "Crying Game" at Staples). Become the first team other than the Lakers to win a PO series at Staples. (See video below.)

2011 -- Spurs and Lakers could meet in the WCF with the Lakers on a 10 series PO win streak. Lakers would be going for a threepeat . . . :)

The key could be HCA. The Spurs will need to have the home court to have a decent chance against the Lakers.

DieHardSpursFan1537
11-25-2010, 12:06 PM
I can already see Spurs and Lakers in the WCF. But Spurs have to get Tiago more minutes.