PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Luis Scola

timvp
05-25-2005, 12:01 AM
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20050522/capt.pna11505222200.spurs_suns_pna115.jpg

No need for you next season. See you in 2007.

:smokin

Louae
05-25-2005, 12:03 AM
he has the option for next season, right?

50 cent
05-25-2005, 12:03 AM
:tu

Mark in Austin
05-25-2005, 12:06 AM
IF Horry wants to come back, the Spurs will resign him. It's been mentioned now several times in interviews that Tim really enjoys playing with him.

IceColdBrewski
05-25-2005, 12:07 AM
Give me Scola.

Solid D
Disagree, respectfully.

T-Mass out, Scola in, depending on Mid-level and other cap considerations determined in the new CBA.

timvp
Another plus for waiting one more year:

No buyout.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-25-2005, 12:09 AM
Bring him over, and then you can let the teacher (Horry) impart some wisdom on the student (Scola).

Summer of '05:

Extend Nazr.
Sign Scola.
Re-sign Horry.
Trade Rasho for a long three.
Build a bigger trophy case.

timvp
05-25-2005, 12:11 AM
Extend Nazr.

Is that even possible? I'm a little rusty on my CBA right about now.

:drunk

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-25-2005, 12:12 AM
As far as I know, we've got his Bird Rights courtesy the NY Knicks.

One thing's for sure, we've got to take care of him this summer, because if he improves like I think he will going into next season, he'll be commanding a hell of a lot of money next summer.

Edit: looks like his current deal was signed in '01 (5 years), so we be having Bird Rights.

:hat

timvp
05-25-2005, 12:14 AM
As far as I know, we've got his Bird Rights courtesy the NY Knicks.

One thing's for sure, we've got to take care of him this summer, because if he improves like I think he will going into next season, he'll be commanding a hell of a lot of money next summer.

Your still looking at $50M+ either way. Someone should look up to see if it's possible to extend him this summer.

Spurminator
05-25-2005, 12:15 AM
I continue to be amazed at the ease with which Nazr gets offensive rebounds.

It's almost like the game is coming to Nazr at a 3-second delay and he's watching the live feed on a small TV screen in the corner, so he knows exactly where the ball will end up off of the rim.

Unreal.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-25-2005, 12:16 AM
True, that's why I said we'd have to get something lined up to send out Rasho if we were going to do that.

I read somewhere that there would be a team option this summer for him, could be wrong though...

timvp
05-25-2005, 12:17 AM
Just checked and Nazr CAN be extended this summer.

Do it!

Solid D
05-25-2005, 12:17 AM
Nazr's been studying game films of Amare and Karl Malone. SLAP!!!

50 cent
05-25-2005, 12:19 AM
Maybe Isiah would be interested in Rasho for some practice uniforms and a couple of worn out seats that need replacing from MSG.

midgetonadonkey
05-25-2005, 12:20 AM
i'd take rasho over an undersized, unproven scola...he's been bad in the playoffs but having another 7 footer off the bench is essential

whottt
05-25-2005, 12:20 AM
You can extend him after his 4th year in the NBA or something like that...I'm not sure if he has to have been with those teams for the entire 4 years...

I personally want to see Robert Horry finish his career as a Spur like Danny Ferry did...I think if Horry wants to he can play until he's about 37-38 years old(If Kerr and Ferry can do it Horry definitely can)...

You just never lose clutch...Kerr...Reggie Miller...it never goes away...Just keep Horry around...until he no longer wants to be here...I don't want to see that fucker back on the Rockets and there's where he will go if not here I think.

Put it this way...if Horry wants to stay here that's probably because he smells more rings in the future...just pay him 2 mil a or so a year and he'll hang around ...he doesn't care about PT really at this stage...he's never liked starting.

I say why not let the dude retire a Spur...he's at the stage now where he's actually kind of a lockerroom leader anyway...something he never was before...and he evidently loves playing out of the bigmedia spotlight in comfy SA.

PM5K
05-25-2005, 12:21 AM
Tim really enjoys playing with him.

Good to know....

midgetonadonkey
05-25-2005, 12:22 AM
it would be great to see horry retire a spur.

Experiment2100
05-25-2005, 12:22 AM
Maybe Isiah would be interested in Rasho for some practice uniforms and a couple of worn out seats that need replacing from MSG.

Screw that I want my picks back.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-25-2005, 12:23 AM
Chris Mullin seems to be wanting to give Isiah a run for his money.

JRich? Pietrus?

Howabout the Hawks? Childress? JSmooth?

One of the Grizzlies SFs?

Just thinkin' out loud...

gregpschneid
05-25-2005, 01:25 AM
Pop and RC will definitely try and bring Scola over this year. Might be difficult for him to get playing time though with(duncan, horry, rasho, and nazr). I think he'll be a great backup in the nba, spurs could also really use his toughness!!

Kori Ellis
05-25-2005, 01:30 AM
If they split up the MLE (as talked about) with the new CBA, it might be very hard to give Scola enough money for him to buyout his contract.

Xikronus
05-25-2005, 03:41 AM
I think that Scola could be a very good "inversion" in Spurs team... He's owsome and play very good with Manu besides... But I rather prefer Hermman if it have to be argie !

Greetings
Willy

GrandeDavid
05-25-2005, 07:57 AM
All it takes is a couple of losses to change that line of thinking. But hopefully Horry keeps up the great play this posteason.

mattyc
05-25-2005, 08:06 AM
T-Mass out, Scola in,
Agreed.

Get Scola, introduce him to the system.
Keep Rob.
Extend Naz.

NZHayden
05-25-2005, 08:08 AM
Agreed.

Get Scola, introduce him to the system.
Keep Rob.
Extend Naz.
Extend Marks aswell

T Park
05-25-2005, 08:10 AM
pffft

cut marks.

Hell Id keep Massenburg before Id keep Marks.

Hes had his chances.

Hes not good enough. Adios.

NZHayden
05-25-2005, 08:13 AM
^ whoa

easjer
05-25-2005, 08:22 AM
Horry will stay if they win. He's only going to play for a championship contender, which Houston just isn't yet (off season acquisitons for point guard might help there). He only considered SA and Miami in the off season. It's a matter of playing and getting a ring, and no other consideration.

In all these grand plans to off Rasho (who did a good job last night, and will be great against the Pistons or Miami), who is supposed to be coming as back up center? Scola is not up to size, and the need for a true size back up is a big reason we said bye-bye to Malik.

Rasho won't be going far. Of course they should extend Nazr. But it's not always about the money, you know. A solid contract with a near guaranteed championship team is worth a lot more to most good players than a bigger contract.

NZHayden
05-25-2005, 08:26 AM
easjer u one smart motherfucker

Extra Stout
05-25-2005, 08:42 AM
Chris Mullin seems to be wanting to give Isiah a run for his money.Yeah, that Baron Davis deal was horrible for the Warriors. They stunk up the joint after that deal. Mullin doesn't know what he's doing at all. He certainly doesn't have them primed for their best season in over a decade. Nope.

Mullin's almost as bad as Jerry West with that deal.

picnroll
05-25-2005, 09:00 AM
With most of these guys with Euro contracts I believe they have a certain date by which they need to opt out of their contracts. No? If that's the case and negotiations on a new CBA get stalled Scola may not be available as there will be no MLE money in place in time. Same with any Euro that needs to excercise a buyout option. Even if they don't have a contract Euros loike Sarunas may not be willing to wait on an NBA contract risking a protracted lockout and reduced or possibly no salary. Correct me if I'm wrong.

MannyIsGod
05-25-2005, 09:44 AM
Yeah, that Baron Davis deal was horrible for the Warriors. They stunk up the joint after that deal. Mullin doesn't know what he's doing at all. He certainly doesn't have them primed for their best season in over a decade. Nope.

:lmao

Nice.

I'm in favor of trying to resign Glen Robinson this summer. Now, I'm not sure if that is possible while bringing over Scola as well. And lets not forget that this is still one of - if not the most - frugal franchises in the entire NBA. While resigning Nazr, Scola, Robinson, and Horry all sound like good ideas, Holt may use a pocketbook veto on any of those.

I personaly want to see a Nazr extension. This guy is only going to get better in the system. I saw him react incredibly to a rotation last night and I think he's already come a long way. That athleticism is the best that any Spurs center not named David has ever had.

T Park
05-25-2005, 09:45 AM
Yeah, that Baron Davis deal was horrible for the Warriors. They stunk up the joint after that deal. Mullin doesn't know what he's doing at all. He certainly doesn't have them primed for their best season in over a decade. Nope.

Mullin's almost as bad as Jerry West with that deal

yeah giving Derek Fisher a multi year 50 million dollar contract was smart........

Look, hes made 1 good trade.

His huge contracts to Fisher and Foyle were jokes, and his other deals were horrible too.

He might have gotten over on the Chabarkapa deal, and Tskiti and Rodney White might turn into somethin who knows.

But Mullin has been clueless.

The only way I would trade Nesterovic, is if you could bring in a tall, long shot blocker that would fill his role, you do that??? Ship his ass out and extend Nazr.

T Park
05-25-2005, 09:47 AM
Horry gets vet min.

Scola needs a couple million.

Nazr will need 6.5 maybe 7 million a year extension.

Glenn Robinson??? If he wants to come back for the vet min again?? Sure, but I doubt that.

I think Robinson will get one big contract, thanks to his good behaviour and willingness to bust ass.

MiNuS
05-25-2005, 09:51 AM
http://re2.mm-b.yimg.com/image/1464816320

MiNuS
05-25-2005, 09:52 AM
El Dunk de La Furia

http://re2.mm-c.yimg.com/image/491675183

easjer
05-25-2005, 09:52 AM
easjer u one smart motherfucker

Heh.

:lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-25-2005, 12:52 PM

Um, the guy spent 80 million dollars on Adonal Foyle and Derek Fisher.

Next.

ducks
05-25-2005, 12:55 PM
espn had frye going to gs in the draft at number 9

MiNuS
05-25-2005, 01:02 PM
Scola on Yao. ENOUGH SAID!

http://www.seleccionargentina.galeon.com/Fotos/2001-2002/arg-china.jpg

Slomo
05-25-2005, 01:51 PM
Scola on Yao. ENOUGH SAID!

Yao can't play against Rasho either - so not enough! :)

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-25-2005, 02:00 PM
Scola on Jermaine O'Neal:

http://s17.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2JXZGR2H2EUCH0VLR2XYCCYA9K

Mark in Austin
05-25-2005, 02:04 PM

You've got to be kidding me. Mullin's offseason consisted of extending Foyle, Murphy, and Richardson; and signing Fisher. All at about 50% higher than market rate.

The Davis trade was good...but he's tied up about 200 million in salaries without a franchise player or all NBA first, second or third teamer. Not very smart imho.

SWC Bonfire
05-25-2005, 02:04 PM
Yao can't play against Rasho either - so not enough! :)

True, Rasho pretty much owns Yao. Maybe everybody who cusses him should remember that.

Slomo
05-25-2005, 02:06 PM
Scola on Jermaine O'Neal:

http://s17.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2JXZGR2H2EUCH0VLR2XYCCYA9K
:wow
Excellent find, I liked the block - but Shaq's "footwork" tells a lot about the moron!

2centsworth
05-25-2005, 02:25 PM
I think Robinson will get one big contract, thanks to his good behaviour and willingness to bust ass.

Yeah, right and Marks is the next Tim Duncan. Glen is going to have a hard time getting a solid contract, maybe he'll get something like SJAx did in Atlanta.

Scola would be great to keep Horry fresh in the regular season. Rasho is a nice luxury in a big market city, or an owner with a billion dollars, but in san antonio he is was out of our price range. Rasho will be shipped for a friendlier contract if the spurs can loCK up nazr.

ChumpDumper
05-25-2005, 02:35 PM
It'll be interesting to see where the cap is set this summer -- all signs point toward the owners' allowing a larger percentage of revenues going toward player salaries, meaning a realtively huge jump in the cap and consequently the tax threshold. Signing and/or keeping players may not be as difficult as we once thought using the current CBA. That said, Rasho will probably be in the situation where his worth to the team has a direct correlation to his playing time -- just like Malik. I'll say the same thing in that case -- play him or trade him.

whottt
05-25-2005, 03:21 PM
I think the Spurs are willing to spend to an extent...they just aren't willing to come anywhere close to the lux tax...raise the threshold or maybe if certain exceptions stop counting towards the cap or the threshold...and Holt might surprise some people...he really doesn't have a lot of room for excuses to not try and improve this team...

JUUOT
05-25-2005, 03:51 PM
I love rasho but i think his life as a spur will be conditioned by 3 things:
- does horry stay at San antonio, if horry dont than rasho will stay otherwise it starts being hard
- we still have a draft pick. a promising center could precipitate the fall of rasho
- scola? announced last summer but i think the emergence of Nazr changed spurs options so maybee no scola

I think the final against detroit or even miami will be a nice test for rasho to fold or to show he will come back next year.

picnroll
05-25-2005, 04:02 PM
Short of no CBA agreement Scola will come. He's a perfect compliment to the Spurs' big men, a low offensive presence with a back to the basket game probably more refined than even Duncan's. A solid midrange shooter that can roll to the basket on P&Rs or pop out.

ducks
05-25-2005, 04:43 PM
will scola be happy with tony masserberg minutes?
will socal be good enough to play more them tony masserg minutes?

SLOVENIAN 8
05-25-2005, 04:46 PM
Man you all are talking about Scola just like that he is a god. And at the end he even wont come to SA :lol

Ocotillo
05-25-2005, 04:46 PM
You can extend him after his 4th year in the NBA or something like that...I'm not sure if he has to have been with those teams for the entire 4 years...

I personally want to see Robert Horry finish his career as a Spur like Danny Ferry did...I think if Horry wants to he can play until he's about 37-38 years old(If Kerr and Ferry can do it Horry definitely can)...

You just never lose clutch...Kerr...Reggie Miller...it never goes away...Just keep Horry around...until he no longer wants to be here...I don't want to see that fucker back on the Rockets and there's where he will go if not here I think.

Put it this way...if Horry wants to stay here that's probably because he smells more rings in the future...just pay him 2 mil a or so a year and he'll hang around ...he doesn't care about PT really at this stage...he's never liked starting.

I say why not let the dude retire a Spur...he's at the stage now where he's actually kind of a lockerroom leader anyway...something he never was before...and he evidently loves playing out of the bigmedia spotlight in comfy SA.

Pop has a lot of respect for Horry's knowledge of the game. Horry might be offered a front office position (ala Ferry) when he decides to retire (if he retires as a Spur).

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-25-2005, 04:47 PM
Man you all are talking about Scola just like that he is a god. And at the end he even wont come to SA :lol

Oh, yeah, who needs Scola when Rasho is there... :rolleyes

ChumpDumper
05-25-2005, 04:48 PM
If Horry doesn't, he'll probably get paid more than the minimum a la Ferry.

SLOVENIAN 8
05-25-2005, 04:56 PM
Oh, yeah, who needs Scola when Rasho is there... :rolleyes
I did not say anything about Rasho but you were talking about Scola just like he is in NBA 10 years already and how good he is....

ALVAREZ6
05-25-2005, 05:23 PM
Timvp, are you serious???

OK, Someone who knows, what will more likely happen??? Scola or no Scola??

WTF!!!! I was waiting for this.....fuck this.

whottt
05-25-2005, 05:27 PM
Scola is not going to replace Rasho...Rasho anchors the D and can block shots...

I've gone back and forth on what the Spurs are going to do with Rasho...

Nazr is a better offensive player, but Rasho is still the better defensive player...and I think that means something to Pop...

I think Rasho might get traded...but if that happens, he's not going to get traded until the Spurs A. Get a better look at Mohammed. B. Find out if Mohammed wants to resign with the Spurs...

Rasho won't be going anywhere until the Spurs know what is going to happen with Mohammed...Mohammed could potentially play himself into a max contract by the end of these playoffs...teams are that desperate for good bigmen...

Keeping Rasho ensure the Spurs will have a quality shotblocking 7 footer...and if it's a choice between Rasho or a maxed out Nazr...or potentially having no 7 footer to anchor the D....

Rasho aint going nowhere....until Nazr is locked up longterm at a good price.

ducks
05-25-2005, 05:28 PM
out with rasho in with k brown

whottt
05-25-2005, 05:29 PM
Nazr also has a lot greater trade value...it wouldn't surprise me if the Spurs packaged some of their talent to get a defensive SF...I think the Spurs top priority right now is finding Bowen's replacement...

And that's a big deal for the future of this dynasty...We will have to change the way we play D if we can't find a suitable replacement for Bruce...and Bruce is getting looong in the tooth.

drivanroca
05-25-2005, 05:33 PM
bring Scola... WHAT CAN WE LOSE? mmmm Yeah... bring SCOLA... problems?...
"HORRY=10-day contract" ;-)

T Park
k brown

yeah a really fantastic team player there.

Go get lost in the desert bozo.

ChumpDumper
Well, I don't know about the max, but Nazr may be able to bag a deal bigger than Rasho's. Alot will depend on the new CBA's provisions for maximum years and yearly raises. If four years is the most anyone else can sign him for, it might be easier for both the Spurs and Nazr to agree to a five-year deal -- especially if the annual raises are lower than 12.5% as they are now. The earliest I can see Rasho's going anywhere is next February. It's a real luxury having Nazr under contract for another season before having to make this kind of choice if it comes to that.

ducks
05-25-2005, 05:35 PM
yeah a really fantastic team player there.

Go get lost in the desert bozo.

yeah spurs did not turn s jackson around or even big dog :rolleyes

ducks
05-25-2005, 05:35 PM
k brown will be cheaper then rasho
and could easily put up the same stats

ducks
05-25-2005, 05:37 PM
Play Rasho Or Trade Him!

ChumpDumper
05-25-2005, 05:39 PM
it wouldn't surprise me if the Spurs packaged some of their talent to get a defensive SF...I think the Spurs top priority right now is finding Bowen's replacement...If we're able to keep them, we have a couple of candidates in Devin and Linton. I'd say it would be fairly easy to get Jerry West to agree to Rasho for Posey and a pick or Battier and crap if it came to that. He's going to lose half his shot blocking when Swift leaves anyway and has always wanted a true starting center.

If Horry retires and Scola doesn't come over or doesn't pay immediate dividends, where does that leave us? Screw it -- we have an entire season to figure this out.

Patience.

angel_luv
05-26-2005, 09:30 AM

Okay, now that is un called for. Guess Pop was right when he said Rasho would never get the credit he deserves.

MadDog73
05-26-2005, 09:38 AM
Okay, now that is un called for. Guess Pop was right when he said Rasho would never get the credit he deserves.

Since most fans don't give Pop the credit he deserves, I'm not surprised.

And why the Hell are we talking about our off-season moves during the Playoffs?

Come on people, save some shit to talk about after we win the Championship! :D

angel_luv
05-26-2005, 09:43 AM
There you go! That's the spirit! () = )

Slomo
05-26-2005, 09:44 AM

Come on people, save some shit to talk about after we win the Championship! :D
Thank you!

JUUOT
05-26-2005, 12:31 PM
because the game is only saturday and we have to evacuate the pressure and the excitment. so we make off season cooler talk. why is it a problem, it has been done all year.
we have all our saturday to focus on the game.
We are fans not players lol we have the right to relax between games we can lose focus.

Solid D
05-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Since most fans don't give Pop the credit he deserves, I'm not surprised.

Most people in here are multi-tasking, give-me-fresh-news-and-info types of folks...otherwise they'd be reading a weekly magazine or the Star or Globe, etc...not that there's anything wrong with that.

If R.C Buford, Danny Ferry, Sam Presti and Lance Blanks are working on next season, then the Virtual GMs in here are doing their things, also. :hat