PDA

View Full Version : philosophy-age: how to debate "everything is possible" mentality?

IronMaxipad
11-25-2010, 05:23 PM
I have a friend who loves to debate and talk all Philosophical on me. His mentality is something along the lines of:

"Everything is possible as long as you truly believe it. It explains suicide bombers, how they would truly believe doing what they do is true, thus it is REAL, to them. There is no overall "real" that transcends everyone, not even the reality we live in. Everything and anything is possible in this world, people are so different and unique."

He also loves to ramble about the flaws of language, how language limits us so much because the thoughts and ideas he has, the moment he speaks and tries to convey it to another person, parts of the thought and ideas are instantly lost in the translation, thus none of us truly know what someone else is "really" saying when talking about abstract ideas.

You can't debate this, or I just don't know how. Suggestions?

IronMaxipad
11-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Any help?

silverblk mystix
11-25-2010, 06:26 PM
I have a friend who loves to debate and talk all Philosophical on me. His mentality is something along the lines of:

"Everything is possible as long as you truly believe it. It explains suicide bombers, how they would truly believe doing what they do is true, thus it is REAL, to them. There is no overall "real" that transcends everyone, not even the reality we live in. Everything and anything is possible in this world, people are so different and unique."

He also loves to ramble about the flaws of language, how language limits us so much because the thoughts and ideas he has, the moment he speaks and tries to convey it to another person, parts of the thought and ideas are instantly lost in the translation, thus none of us truly know what someone else is "really" saying when talking about abstract ideas.

You can't debate this, or I just don't know how. Suggestions?

Just throw vague philosophical shit back at him.
For example;

``The flaws of language can be overcome when you come to understand the sound of one hand clapping.''

Or just ask him...

Can the eye see itself? Can the tooth bite itself?

frodo
11-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Just throw vague philosophical shit back at him.
For example;

``The flaws of language can be overcome when you come to understand the sound of one hand clapping.''

Or just ask him...

Can the eye see itself? Can the tooth bite itself?

it looks to me that his friend is not likely to think so much off the normal way. the proportions that his friend broached didn't look too subjective or unreal imho. method of "everything is possible" often tends to nurture some false thoughts like the theory of "after-death life", that's true but his friends thoughts just look fine imho. it doesn't make one psychotic just because he thinks deeper and a bit different than others do.