PDA

View Full Version : Bird Eager for O’Neal to Lead Pacers

pooh
05-25-2005, 12:42 AM
Link (http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/bird_050524.html)

Bird Eager for O’Neal to Lead

By Conrad Brunner | May 24, 2005

The torch has been passed, and its new bearer already is feeling the heat.
With Reggie Miller's departure, Jermaine O'Neal assumes the mantle of team leader for the Pacers, and President Larry Bird said Tuesday he's anxious to see how the gifted forward grows into the role.

"I’ve got a lot of confidence in Jermaine and his ability to play ball, to come in next year and grab this team and take them in the direction they need to go," Bird said. "But still it’s wait-and-see. I talked to Jermaine a couple of days ago about that. When Reggie walks out the door, there’s no one left. I’m not saying Reggie was the leader where he would come in before every game and talk to the guys and motivate them. But he was here every day. He did the things necessary to keep himself in great shape. He was great in the community. He did everything. And that's a void. We’re going to miss that.

"I think Jermaine can do it. In the last two years I’ve seen a lot of maturity (in) Jermaine, and you know he’s such a talent. It’s just that this franchise needs him to step up and play a bigger role."

Addressing the media in an informal question-and-answer session Tuesday morning in Conseco Fieldhouse, Bird reaffirmed the franchise's commitment to embattled forward Ron Artest, while leaving the door open to potentially major changes to the roster.

"We do have to get better," Bird said. "Even if Ron had played all year I don’t know if we would have been a championship team, (but) we would have been a heck of a lot better. I think in the draft we will be able to pick up a player that will help us move forward, but will we make a lot of changes? I don’t know.

"I think it all depends on Jermaine O’Neal. I’ll put the pressure right on him. If he comes back in great shape and he’s got Ronnie on his side, and he’s got Stephen Jackson, and Jamaal Tinsley and does the things he needs to do in the summer … We’ll be all right, but we do need to get better in certain areas."

Artest was suspended the final 73 games of the regular season and all of the playoffs for his role in the events of Nov. 19. But Coach Rick Carlisle said Friday he believed the team would welcome back the All-Star forward with open arms. Bird took much the same stance.

"Well, there’s always a concern about what happened last year, but are we sitting on pins and needles? No," Bird said. "We think that the guys matured and learned a lot from last year. You know you take Jermaine, Jamaal, and Ronnie, and Stephen, and they’re completely different individuals, but we need all of them. They’re very talented, they know how to play the game, they know how to play together, they know what needs to be done in practice and during the games. So, like I always say, if those guys can come together and be on the same page we’ll be fine.

"I know Ronnie probably a little bit better than you guys do. I know he’s committed to win a championship. He’s committed to get better. He made a horrible mistake this year, and I don’t think we’ll have to worry about that anymore. We are committed to Ronnie."

The Pacers hold the 17th pick in the NBA Draft on June 28 and will be over the 2005-06 salary cap, meaning their flexibility in the free-agent market will be limited, though the mid-level exception will be available. If substantive changes are to be made, they'll most likely come through trades.

"As far as free agents, we can’t just go out and pick up a player, but we do have a mid-level, we do have opportunities," Bird said. "We feel that we have a lot of talent on our team and there’s teams out there that want our players. So, if we can do anything to strengthen our team that’s what we need to do."

Bird said he would pay close attention to the players' commitment to offseason conditioning and rehab, if any. Summer league could also take on renewed importance, if for no other reason than Artest's participation, although Bird hinted some other veterans may also be involved.

Asked if it would be hard to remain committed to a player that didn't do the requisite offseason work, Bird replied, "very hard."

"I know who they are, and if they don’t commit themselves, we have to move 'em, plain and simple," he said. "You’re either in or you’re out."

atlfan25
05-25-2005, 12:47 AM
if he's eager for o'neal to lead them to a championship, he'll be waitin a long time

pooh
05-25-2005, 12:54 AM
nah I don't think so...they're a good solid center away from serious contending once again.

3rdCoast
05-25-2005, 12:56 AM
nah I don't think so...they're a good solid center away from serious contending once again.

Pooh McFly speaks the truth.

picnroll
05-25-2005, 07:04 PM
Bird calling out O'Neal publicly. Wonder how the tempermental O'Neal will take to that. O'Neal's game, even discounting the injury, has not improved.

samikeyp
05-26-2005, 10:29 AM
Bird calling out O'Neal publicly. Wonder how the tempermental O'Neal will take to that. O'Neal's game, even discounting the injury, has not improved.

If he takes what Bird says as "calling out" then he is not a leader. Bird didn't say anything negative. He just wants Jermaine to step up as the leader of the team and there is nothing wrong with that. Sadly in the growing thug/wannabe gangsta/"I gotsta get mine" culture of the NBA these players are wayyy too sensitive.

boutons
05-26-2005, 02:26 PM
O'Neal will call Larry a disprectin racist, or some such dumbshit balla trash talk (or at least think it or act like it).

O'Neal's a punk and a thug.

Lose 30 pounds, earn your salary, and STFU.

pooh
05-27-2005, 03:17 AM
JO should listen to what Bird said. Reggie isn't there anymore. It's all on Jermaine's shoulders (depending on if he keeps both healthy) now, and it's time for him to take charge of the team and make it his own.

picnroll
05-27-2005, 03:44 PM
If he takes what Bird says as "calling out" then he is not a leader. Bird didn't say anything negative. He just wants Jermaine to step up as the leader of the team and there is nothing wrong with that. Sadly in the growing thug/wannabe gangsta/"I gotsta get mine" culture of the NBA these players are wayyy too sensitive.
The way I'm reading that article is that Bird's saying "I'm not too happy with what you're bringing. Step up or I'll be trading you". That doesn't sound to wam and fuzzy to me.