PDA

View Full Version : HoopsHype: My Apologies to San Antonio

The Btown Spur
11-25-2010, 07:56 PM
http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/johnson/2010/11/25/my-apologies-to-san-antonio/

After the Suns embarrassed San Antonio last year, it was assumed by anyone watching that the Spurs were done. I personally thought they were old and not actually confident enough to continue with the core of Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker and Tim Duncan.

What I should have surmised was that the Spurs just faced a team that quite frankly had their number and finally figured out a way to beat them. I should have never questioned their age and desire and for that I apologize to the Spurs and their fans.

Championship teams never give up and when they are whooped and stepped on, they take note and come back with a vengeance. I am impressed with everything that I have seen from the Spurs so far (13-1) and I don’t expect this tremendous run to go away and here are a few reasons why…

1. Health
This was the most important thing coming into the season and as a whole the Spurs obviously committed themselves during the summer in regards to health and conditioning.

Tony Parker and Manu Ginobli already look in mid-season form. These two have taken the reins from Tim Duncan and right now they are the best one-two punch in the NBA from the backcourt.

Ginobili is getting to the basket at a relentless pace and shooting 46.7 percent, which is above his career average. Parker is back to being the best guard in the league when it comes to penetrating the lane, scoring and shooting a high percentage. Both players are trusting teammates, distributing the ball and they are third in the league in assists as a team because of it.

The offseason dedication is pretty obvious and along with refocusing commitment has the Spurs first in line in the Lakers’ rear-view mirror in front of the Thunder, Mavericks and the Hornets.

2. Tim Duncan
Although quiet and unassuming, Duncan is a tremendous leader. Tim is by far the most unselfish top-notch offensive player I have ever seen. He honestly could care less about points and star treatment and again I give David Robinson all the glory for this trait. Robinson took a back seat to Duncan and now he is allowing Ginobli and Parker to set the tone every night.

The decision by Duncan and head coach Gregg Popovich to play less than 30 minutes a game will have him fresh and ready to dominate come playoff time. Despite fewer minutes, he is still the best interior defender on the ball in basketball and still grabs close to 10 rebounds and blocks two shots.

3. Richard Jefferson
I have a pet peeve when it comes to offensive-minded players admitting that they are struggling in a new offensive system. When you sign up for the NBA, you should automatically know teams, coaches and teammates will change and with that comes different philosophies.

Jefferson looked out of sorts and disconnected last year and mainly because he convinced himself he was a fourth or fifth wheel when he could have actually soared to the top offensively for the Spurs last year because of their health issues.

I applaud Richard for staying in Texas this year and working with the Spurs’ coaching staff and we are seeing huge dividends. I can honestly say if we want to look at one solid reason why the Spurs are 12-1, it’s Jefferson. He is the game changer and defender the Spurs have not had since Sean Elliott.

Jefferson’s 32.7 minutes and 15.9 points a game have allowed Popovich to rest Duncan, Ginobili and Parker for longer periods, which has been huge.

4. DeJuan Blairhttp://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/johnson/files/2010/11/dejuan_blair_vs_lakers.jpg
Blair will never be a dominant power forward, but he will carve up 10-plus seasons because he attacks rebounds with a ferocity that balances Duncan. He is a second-possession machine and that is why he has had 14 straight starts.

5. Trusting the young players
The hardest part for any coaching staff, especially championship-pedigree teams, is trusting inexperienced players and having a longer leash than usual. I was amazed to see three bench players averaging around 20 minutes a game and three rookies playing about 14 mpg.
George Hill, Matt Bonner and Antonio McDyess have all been starters a time or two, but now Popovich has settled on a rotation and it has been extremely consistent.

6. Rule change for sportsmanship
The one problem that I have had with the Spurs throughout their championship runs has been the excessive whining and wanting to get an explanation for every call against them.

Duncan was at the forefront of it all. The rule change (not allowing confrontations with officials) helps the Spurs focus more on the present and future instead of the past.

I know the prevailing question is, can the Spurs keep up this tremendous run? I say they can… if the young players continue to play solid basketball. If they do, the Spurs are right back in line as the No. 1 option to avoid a Lakers’ three-peat.

Read more: http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/johnson/2010/11/25/my-apologies-to-san-antonio/#ixzz16LTdAkUU

K-State Spur
11-25-2010, 08:16 PM
"He is the game changer and defender the Spurs have not had since Sean Elliott."

Bruce Bowen says hi.

DJB
11-25-2010, 08:49 PM
"He is the game changer and defender the Spurs have not had since Sean Elliott."

Bruce Bowen says hi.

I think he was considering offensive ability as well

DieHardSpursFan1537
11-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Yeah, he better start apologizing! :lol

mywastedlife900
11-25-2010, 09:34 PM
i got pissed and posted this comment for anyone that cares...

"no apologies, the banwagons's full, please leave...
the spurs have for the last decade+ made everyone in the sports media look like amateurs...
name one superstar that doesnt cry? wade, kobe, tmac, dirk, paul pierce, chis paul? its like 1st you dismiss us, are proven wrong, then compliment us with a BUT...
Duncan is the only spur whos whining reaches levels of annoyance, and think about it; tim doesn't get the respect from the officials like those players have in their careers. the whining grew out of necessity."

The Truth #6
11-25-2010, 10:20 PM
i got pissed and posted this comment for anyone that cares...

"no apologies, the banwagons's full, please leave...
the spurs have for the last decade+ made everyone in the sports media look like amateurs...
name one superstar that doesnt cry? wade, kobe, tmac, dirk, paul pierce, chis paul? its like 1st you dismiss us, are proven wrong, then compliment us with a BUT...
Duncan is the only spur whos whining reaches levels of annoyance, and think about it; tim doesn't get the respect from the officials like those players have in their careers. the whining grew out of necessity."

You got pissed about an article that gave the Spurs nothing but praise?

Whisky Dog
11-26-2010, 01:28 AM
The Spurs are winning because they're making more shots than their opponents and hitting them at the opportune times. If that continues they will continue to win at a good clip.

gospursgojas
11-26-2010, 01:41 AM
6. Rule change for sportsmanship
The one problem that I have had with the Spurs throughout their championship runs has been the excessive whining and wanting to get an explanation for every call against them.

Duncan was at the forefront of it all. The rule change (not allowing confrontations with officials) helps the Spurs focus more on the present and future instead of the past.

Kinda makes a good point. Haven't thought about this at all.

EricB
11-26-2010, 01:49 AM
The Spurs are winning because they're making more shots than their opponents and hitting them at the opportune times. If that continues they will continue to win at a good clip.

If you mean they are out offensiveing them, then I have to respectfully disagree.

spurs1990
11-26-2010, 01:56 AM
4. DeJuan Blair Blair will never be a dominant power forward, but he will carve up 10-plus seasons because he attacks rebounds with a ferocity that balances Duncan. He is a second-possession machine and that is why he has had 14 straight starts.

I haven't seen more than 5 games this year, but has DeJuan played an integral role in our record so far?

angelbelow
11-26-2010, 02:07 AM

Bruce Bowen says hi.

No disrespect to Bowen, but I think the writer is taking into account the offensive versatility that RJ provides as well as RJ's potential on the defensive end.

With that said Bowen special and one of a kind, we wont see a player like that for a long time.

awktalk
11-26-2010, 02:23 AM
Kinda makes a good point. Haven't thought about this at all.

This is a horrible point. It makes no sense. To say Timmy was an excessive complainer is to ignore that there are legitimate disputes with how refs call fouls. TD is a great defender and when he "makes a face" at a ref, it is usually backed up by the fact that he was either fouled or didn't commit the foul.

mystargtr34
11-26-2010, 02:33 AM
I haven't seen more than 5 games this year, but has DeJuan played an integral role in our record so far?

Not really. He is part of the reason the Spurs are the third best rebounding team in the league... individually Blair is ranked 6th in the league in rebounding rate. Everything else has been pretty poor... his TS% is 17th worst in the league out of qualified players (311 players in total) and his defense has been poor - to put it nicely. He's still good enough to be an important part of the team.. but he really needs to go back to the bench to do that.

jimo2305
11-26-2010, 06:08 AM
i wouldnt put it past the writer that he doesn't know who bowen is..
afterall.. he was part of the "lol spurs are washed up" brigade after watching one phx series.. i like how people forget about that same squad knocking out the #2 mavs at the time..

lefty
11-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Suns had our number ???????

Did I miss something during the Duncan era?

coopdogg3
11-26-2010, 09:54 AM
I'm willing to take any and all bandwaggoners. Jump on board. They'll jump to the Lakers or the Heat (if they turn it around) soon enough. Just enjoying the ride.

ohmwrecker
11-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Suns had our number ???????

Did I miss something during the Duncan era?

Were you in a coma for last season's playoffs?

lefty
11-26-2010, 12:19 PM
Were you in a coma for last season's playoffs?
No, but having one team's number is not limited to 1 series