PDA

View Full Version : What would it take to Parker to be in the HOF?

leo_d
11-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Duncan and Popovich are locks.

Manu is a preety good maybe for his international play.

To Tony to make it, I think the Spurs would have to win another championship with him as the first or even the second scoring option.

Would be nice to have 4 future HOFamers on the team :toast

urunobili
11-26-2010, 07:47 AM
I think he already is a lock. BUT some international ball accomplishments would seal it.

There truly isn't much more for him at the NBA level to accomplish other than regular season MVP.

sonic21
11-26-2010, 07:58 AM
It would take the french NT to suck less.

Hopefully Noah will finally play and the team can improve.

Chieflion
11-26-2010, 08:11 AM
He already has a finals MVP. I think that would propel his chances by a lot. He is in some elite company.

leo_d
11-26-2010, 08:13 AM
Even as promising as the french NT looks, I don`t think they can win a major tournament trough the US NT.

And I also don`t think the Spurs can have another regular season MVP, the offense is too balanced for that.

That`s why I was thinking in another title.

dunkman
11-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Worthy was a successful college player, 3 times champion, finals MVP, 7 times all-star, 2 times all-nba third team. He is regarded as "big game" Worthy for his capability to deliver in critical games.

Dumars was 2 times champion, finals MVP, 6 times all-star, 3 times all-nba (2 times third team, once second team), 5 times all-defensive (4 times first team, once second team). He is regarded as one of the best wing defenders ever.

Worthy was the third player of the showtime Lakers big 3, Dumars was Isiah's sidekick in the bad boys Pistons. Similar roles to Parker's.

So far, Parker's resume is 3 times NBA champion, finals MVP, 3 times all-star, once all-nba third team. Great player, but still halfway of the personal accomplishments of Worthy and Dumars.

wildbill2u
11-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Its so strange that he isn't getting more All-star positions and I think that hurts his chances.

If he got another championship AFTER Timmy retires, it would show that he isn't simply riding on Duncan's shoulders for championships.

Pauleta14
11-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Even as promising as the french NT looks, I don`t think they can win a major tournament trough the US NT.

Parker, Noah, Batum, Diaw, Pietrus, Turiaf, Beaubois, ...

This should be enough to be contenders, but we don't have any good/great coaches to lead thoses players! :bang

If only we could hire Pop just for the Summer...

DieHardSpursFan1537
11-26-2010, 01:43 PM
They need to win a 5th NBA Championship. That would help get him locked in better. I'm just guessing, but it sounds reasonable.

Cry Havoc
11-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Worthy was a successful college player, 3 times champion, finals MVP, 7 times all-star, 2 times all-nba third team. He is regarded as "big game" Worthy for his capability to deliver in critical games.

Dumars was 2 times champion, finals MVP, 6 times all-star, 3 times all-nba (2 times third team, once second team), 5 times all-defensive (4 times first team, once second team). He is regarded as one of the best wing defenders ever.

Worthy was the third player of the showtime Lakers big 3, Dumars was Isiah's sidekick in the bad boys Pistons. Similar roles to Parker's.

So far, Parker's resume is 3 times NBA champion, finals MVP, 3 times all-star, once all-nba third team. Great player, but still halfway of the personal accomplishments of Worthy and Dumars.

You have to examine the eras, though. Parker lives in the most guard-heavy and most elite PG era in the history of the NBA. If Parker played in the 80s he would have been a top 3 point in the league every year, IMO.

I don't know if Tony will make the HOF but he is definitely on pace, especially if the Spurs go far this year with him as their MVP, as he is presently.

11-26-2010, 01:47 PM
some more all star selections and all nba teams.

Pauleta14
11-26-2010, 01:48 PM
You have to examine the eras, though. Parker lives in the most guard-heavy and most elite PG era in the history of the NBA. If Parker played in the 80s he would have been a top 3 point in the league every year, IMO.

I don't know if Tony will make the HOF but he is definitely on pace, especially if the Spurs go far this year with him as their MVP, as he is presently.

This

+ If he wasn't playing in the west he (and Manu) probably would have more all star selections...

Slomo
11-26-2010, 01:55 PM
He already has a finals MVP. I think that would propel his chances by a lot. He is in some elite company.

I believe he's the first foreign player to be finals MVP. This alone will help a lot.

Solid D? timvp? Bruno? am I right?

kaji157
11-26-2010, 02:04 PM
I think if he gets any international accomplishment with France that would seal it.
The problem is that if he doesn´t think of how many NBA players have his accomplishments and have not get in.

dunkman
11-26-2010, 02:07 PM

Magic, Isiah Thomas and Stock played in the 80's. An best ever PG's list will have that players in the top 5.

ChuckD
11-26-2010, 02:11 PM
This is going to piss people off, but I think he has very little chance. His international resume is poor, and his 11,000 points is FAR far down the list of NBA scorers. Basketball reference has him listed at about a 56% chance of someday being elected on his NBA resume. Keep in mind that it's the basketball HOF, not the NBA HOF. There are multiple ways you can get in: NBA, NCAA, or international for players, or you can be a ref or a coach. Manu's NBA chances are almost nil at this point, but he WILL make it as an international/hybrid candidate. Bill Walton's NBA career was injury ravaged, and only afforded him an 11% chance of HOF, but he made it as a dominant NCAA player in the UCLA dyanasty. Tony really has no other way in other than as an NBA candidate. The players slightly below, around, and slightly above him who are in the HOF are all oldtimers.

HOF player probabilities (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob_career.html)

Weird, yet effective NBA player criteria for HOF (http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/hof_prob.html)

Jason R
11-26-2010, 02:23 PM
His international accomplishments would need to be boosted. As he stands right now I don't see what he's done to warrant a place in the HOF.

Manu's NBA play has been great but it's really his role on his NT that cements in the HOF in my eyes.

kaji157
11-26-2010, 02:28 PM
This is going to piss people off, but I think he has very little chance. His international resume is poor, and his 11,000 points is FAR far down the list of NBA scorers. Basketball reference has him listed at about a 56% chance of someday being elected on his NBA resume. Keep in mind that it's the basketball HOF, not the NBA HOF. There are multiple ways you can get in: NBA, NCAA, or international for players, or you can be a ref or a coach. Manu's NBA chances are almost nil at this point, but he WILL make it as an international/hybrid candidate. Bill Walton's NBA career was injury ravaged, and only afforded him an 11% chance of HOF, but he made it as a dominant NCAA player in the UCLA dyanasty. Tony really has no other way in other than as an NBA candidate. The players slightly below, around, and slightly above him who are in the HOF are all oldtimers.

HOF player probabilities (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob_career.html)

Weird, yet effective NBA player criteria for HOF (http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/hof_prob.html)

Yeah, but being foreign also helps both, mainly in the era where the NBA has became a really international league.

quentin_compson
11-26-2010, 02:34 PM
I think he'll make it.

leo_d
11-26-2010, 02:34 PM
I believe he's the first foreign player to be finals MVP. This alone will help a lot.

Solid D? timvp? Bruno? am I right?

I don`t know if he was the first, but Hakeem comes to my mind

edited: he became american 1 year before his first championship, so maybe Parker can be considered the first foreign player that won the finals MVP.

Mugen
11-26-2010, 02:36 PM
he'll be there to give Manu's introduction speech :stirpot:

11-26-2010, 02:40 PM

56% is not "very little chance." and those calculations are based off of parker's career right now. the thread asks what parker can do to buff his NBA record.

oh and those calculations have steve nash at 37% probability. wtf?

Slomo
11-26-2010, 02:41 PM
I don`t know if he was the first, but Hakeem comes to my mind

:bang

Can't believe I forgot Hakeem :shootme

Slomo
11-26-2010, 02:43 PM
"Tony Parker (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=Tony_Parker), winner of the 2007 trophy, is the first European-born player to be named Finals MVP."

OK that's the one I (wrongly) remembered.

polandprzem
11-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Well I think one A+ from timvp should get it done

eric365
11-26-2010, 03:58 PM
The problem is that the west has been so loaded at guard position for 6 or 7 years :
Kobe, Nash, Iverson, T Mac, Ray allen and now CP3, DWill, Roy

If he was in the east, he would already have 6 all star selection and would be a lock to get in the HOF

At this point, 2 or 3 all star selection or an all nba 2 second team or an olympic medal would seal it

Brazil
11-26-2010, 03:59 PM
He is far from being a lock but he is 28 years, he has plenty bb years to come. If Spurs give him the key of the trucks after tim and manu retirement he would have a good chance to make it.

Dartherus
11-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Being able to get something without Manu or Duncan would do the trick....

French NT got the silver medal at 2000 olypmpics without Parker.....they ha dplayers and a base....Parker have not been able to achieve something remarkable with that team, by adding himself to the roster...

howbouthemspurs
11-26-2010, 04:11 PM
I think he will get it if he continues to get better and finally becomes the spurs biggest superstar when Tim and Manu leaves

will_spurs
11-26-2010, 04:11 PM

What you forget is that according to this site, a player with a HoF probability over 50% is forecasted to be in the HoF. So at 56% Parker is already considered a future HoFer by this website.

I think 56% is about right: it's undecided at the moment. This % can go down depending on what happens in the future, tough. The next few years will be key. Another ring, another Finals MVP, some MVP consideration, All-Star selections or some nice results with the French NT, everything can contribute to his selection for the HoF.

Also remember that he already some nice records, like the first Europen-born player to be named Finals MVP (and I think 1st foreign player too actually), and also e.g. the most playoff games at any age below 25 (Kobe being very close), first foreign born guard select to All-Rookie 1st team, etc.

Pauleta14
11-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Well I think one A+ from timvp should get it done

:lol

Vito Corleone
11-26-2010, 06:18 PM
My opinion is parker needs to make this his team and be the man to deliver a championship. Nash was never considered HOF until he went to Phoenix for his 2nd stint, then it was his team and he became the man.

Honestly, for Parker to get into the HOF he is going to need a regular season MVP like Nash got, maybe even two.

Frankie23
11-26-2010, 06:46 PM
lol at that players probabilities to be a HoFamer..

I mean, Chris Bosh has more chances than Manu..lol

Sec24Row7
11-26-2010, 06:56 PM
He's a lock already... Don't kid yourself... History will shine very well on the spurs of the 2000's

Fabbs
11-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Two more rings as a starter/fulltime player would cinch it beyond all doubt for me.

That would give he and Manu the most legit NBA titles of any G since Jordan.
(realize Manu is G/F).

ChuckD
11-26-2010, 08:01 PM
lol at that players probabilities to be a HoFamer..

I mean, Chris Bosh has more chances than Manu..lol

You understand that it is NOT the NBA HOF, right? It's a generic all purpose basketball HOF. There are girls, referees, coaches, and internationals in there right now.

Manu is absolutely a mortal lock for just his international and FIBA career.

Those criteria in the link are strictly for NBA careers based on NBA stats. Notice that ONLY NBA players are listed. By those criteria, Manu would not have a chance. He'll be lucky to even hit a very pedestrian 10K points.

hitmanyr2k
11-26-2010, 08:56 PM
He's a lock already... Don't kid yourself... History will shine very well on the spurs of the 2000's

Like ChuckD said, Ginobili is probably a lock for his international resume alone.

Parker? He's nowhere near a lock. I don't think he's even borderline at the moment. Parker needs to put in some serious work to get that resume a bit more bloated. He needs significant accolades like All-NBA teams and All-Defense to establish himself as one of the top players in the game at his position and he needs to stay at that level consistently for at least 3-4 consecutive seasons. Tony Parker has a All-Rookie team and one All-NBA third team to his credit. That's not going to get him anywhere near the HOF whether he has a Finals MVP or not. He's going to be remembered as an all-star talent but not the very best.