PDA

View Full Version : Derek Jeter is delusional

JamStone
11-26-2010, 10:55 AM
http://waswatching.com/2010/11/26/report-jeter-wants-6-years-150-million/

Report: Jeter Wants 6 Years & $150 Million

Throughout this process, Close and Jeter have never revealed what they’re actually looking for – which is why so many Yankee fans, opposing club officials and nationwide media types are asking: Why are the Yankees treating Jeter this way? But sources close to the Jeter/Close camp have said their starting point was six years, $150 million and that they aren’t budging on $25 million per year – which would effectively get the captain about even in annual average salary to Alex Rodriguez, the real benchmark from their standpoint in this negotiation.

I suspect this is why Yankee GM Brian Cashman lashed out the way he did the other day after Close told the Daily News’ Mike Lupica he was “baffled” by the Yankees’ hard-line stance with Jeter.

Cashman is clearly frustrated. The Yankees made no secret of where they were coming from in this negotiation – that it was a baseball negotiation, a business negotiation, and not a public relations and marketing negotiation. Just the same, they structured their offer to be significantly higher in both years and dollars than any 36-year-old shortstop, coming off a season in which he hit a career-low .270 and his OPS dropped 161 points to .710, also a career low, could expect in the open market. They did that because, as everyone knows, Jeter is not just any shortstop. He is an iconic Yankee shortstop, and, as such, the Yankees are prepared to pay him upwards of $2 million more than any middle infielder in baseball today for the next three years. Add the $45 million to the $200 million they’ve already paid him and, at nearly $250 million, Jeter will have been paid more than any other player in the history of baseball except A-Rod and (when he gets his next deal) Albert Pujols.

lefty
11-26-2010, 12:19 PM
He will get them

dbreiden83080
11-26-2010, 02:16 PM
He's all pissy about the damn A-Rod deal he got a few years back. Tex also makes 22 mil a year and will for the next 5 years. I knew when Jeter had one year left on his deal after they won the WS and he played so great this would likely be an issue. But hitting .270 and gonna be 37 Derek you are basically just whining at the Yanks to give you a huge deal because nobody else will.. He's gonna have to settle for 3-4 years and 15 mil..

Poor baby. :lol

Pelicans78
11-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Jeter is coming off a season where his OPS was a brutal .710, over 100 points lower than his career average. No way he's getting a huge contract anywhere else. He needs to be realistic.

bostonguy
11-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Non-issue. Jeter will resign. I just can't see him leaving New York. He is the face of that franchise. He will get that 3-4 year deal from the Yanks.

dbreiden83080
11-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Jeter is coming off a season where his OPS was a brutal .710, over 100 points lower than his career average. No way he's getting a huge contract anywhere else. He needs to be realistic.

I'm a big Jeter and Yanks fan but this has annoyed me. I never thought he'd be telling the Yanks give me 150 mil until i am 42 coming off the year he had..

EGO is a bitch..

ducks
11-26-2010, 09:03 PM
yANKEES OVERPAY ALL THE TIME
IF I WAS JETER I WOULD ASK FOR THAT TO

KapitanTutan
11-26-2010, 09:40 PM
yankees overpay all the time
if i was jeter i would ask for that to

agree

dbreiden83080
11-26-2010, 09:51 PM
yANKEES OVERPAY ALL THE TIME
IF I WAS JETER I WOULD ASK FOR THAT TO

They are not gonna give him 100 mil or more when their first offer was 45.. :lol

JamStone
11-26-2010, 10:09 PM
I can understand that Jeter feels he's worth more than his numbers to the Yankees. He's worth way more to the Yankees than any other MLB franchise. But he's being pretty unreasonable with his initial demands and with the notion that he and his agent aren't "budging" off of $25 million per, if the reports are true. His production is probably worth somewhere closer to $5 million. Now is his "iconic" status worth an extra $20 million? Really?

And as for the Yankees overpay all the time, they generally overpay for guys still in their primes who have just had great seasons the year before and when they have competition from other teams for those players. When's the last time they paid for a player five times what they're worth when they have no competition with a better offer than they've offered?

This is all about A-Rod and his contract. That's sad considering Jeter has always been known as a "classy" professional. He knows damn well he's not worth $25 million a year. $15 million a year is even much more than he's worth.

If the McCourts ever settle their divorce, the Dodgers are the one team that I can see actually way overpaying for Jeter, for his iconic value, leadership, and resume for winning, plus reuniting with Mattingly. But not while they have financial restraints with unstable ownership.

BRHornet45
11-26-2010, 10:56 PM
sons in other news ... Jeter's agent Casey Close has a pretty famous wifey, Fox News Blondie Gretchen Carlson ...

http://www.more.com/images/photo/image/85/66/photo/8566/original/gc-after1.jpg

dbreiden83080
11-26-2010, 11:53 PM
The attitude of Jeter and his agent with the Yanks to me is just like

"HUH"

Nobody else is offering even the 15 mil a year for 3. So where is this i want 100 plus mil coming from? I read an anonymous poll of GM's saying the 15 mil is way higher than anyone else will pay.. Jeter just expected the Yanks to hand that over because he asked for it.. :lol

dbreiden83080
11-27-2010, 12:07 AM
Jeter also between arbitration and one year deals got paid 30 plus mil in salary from the Yanks before his big long term deal was signed in 2001. He got paid an 800,000 signing bonus when he was 18 just having been drafted by the Yanks. This guy has been rich since he turned 18 thanks to the Yankees. I'm a Jeter fan but his attitude about this has basically disgusted me.. Of course he worked hard and played great but The Yanks made you a star, they made you incredibly rich and you are regarded as one of the legends of the sport due in large part to your affiliation all career long with the Yankees.

Just sign the deal being offered Derek.

TE
11-30-2010, 03:42 AM
Sad how millions and millions of dollars are thrown to one human being's face.

Baseball players are the most selfish sports players.

Spurminator
11-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Some athletes choose to take pay cuts from their long-time teams in the interest of freeing up dollars to be spent towards winning...

I hope the Yankees give Jeter every cent he feels he's worth.

JamStone
11-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Some athletes choose to take pay cuts from their long-time teams in the interest of freeing up dollars to be spent towards winning...

I hope the Yankees give Jeter every cent he feels he's worth.

What Jeter feels he's worth may not be anywhere close to what his true market value is. Say the reports are true (there are differing reports now and his agent said they aren't stuck on $25 million per but still wouldn't say what they want), and Jeter wants somewhere around $23-24 million a year. Now his age and stats from last season indicate he's closer to a $5-8 million a year player now. And there are no indications that any team will make a substantially bigger offer than the 3 year, $45 million offer the Yankees made. So the market value might be somewhere around $8-10.

So Jeter wants the Yankees to pay up to 4 or 5 times the amount he's actually worth because of his name and history with the team? Because of his "iconic" status? Since when were baseball contracts negotiated by "iconic status" as the biggest factor? Tulowitzki's contract now puts him as the highest paid SS in the game. But before that, the $15 million a year offer would have made Jeter the highest paid middle infielder in the majors and comfortably so. Soon-to-be 37 year old who has limited range in the field, hit a career low since his rookie season in average, doesn't hit for power, not an RBI producer, and doesn't have the speed to avoid double plays.

More than $15 million per for a singles hitter whose hitting is regressing into a mediocre bat? I hope Jeter wises up soon.

TheMACHINE
11-30-2010, 03:31 PM
George is dead and his kids aint emo like thier daddy. jeter aint getting it

Spurminator
11-30-2010, 05:03 PM
What Jeter feels he's worth may not be anywhere close to what his true market value is. Say the reports are true (there are differing reports now and his agent said they aren't stuck on $25 million per but still wouldn't say what they want), and Jeter wants somewhere around $23-24 million a year. Now his age and stats from last season indicate he's closer to a $5-8 million a year player now. And there are no indications that any team will make a substantially bigger offer than the 3 year, $45 million offer the Yankees made. So the market value might be somewhere around $8-10.

So Jeter wants the Yankees to pay up to 4 or 5 times the amount he's actually worth because of his name and history with the team? Because of his "iconic" status? Since when were baseball contracts negotiated by "iconic status" as the biggest factor? Tulowitzki's contract now puts him as the highest paid SS in the game. But before that, the $15 million a year offer would have made Jeter the highest paid middle infielder in the majors and comfortably so. Soon-to-be 37 year old who has limited range in the field, hit a career low since his rookie season in average, doesn't hit for power, not an RBI producer, and doesn't have the speed to avoid double plays.

More than $15 million per for a singles hitter whose hitting is regressing into a mediocre bat? I hope Jeter wises up soon.

Oh I agree, I'm just saying I hope the Yankees cave because it's a terrible investment and could prevent them from spending money on higher impact players.

dbreiden83080
11-30-2010, 06:15 PM
I live in NY so the buzz around here in the papers and sports talk is mostly on the side of Jeter is being selfish with a small % saying "Yanks always over-spend why draw the line with their beloved Captain" Jeter and his agent might have all along had the plan to give the Yanks an outrageous number knowing he would not get it, but that he is so beloved the Yanks are not just gonna walk away from the table either. So maybe he settles for a still crazy offer but way less than his first offer. Like he asked for 25 mil and gets 20.. However we keep hearing Yanks are holding firm to the 3 years at 15 mil a year offer and it won't come up much in the next rounds of talk.. Jeter seems to have a thing about this 4th year, he is not happy that it is just 3..

So we'll see..

lefty
12-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Can't wait for salary cap in baseball

Mel_13
12-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Can't wait for salary cap in baseball

You'll see a salary cap in baseball right about the same time you a playoff in college football.

lefty
12-06-2010, 10:19 AM
You'll see a salary cap in baseball right about the same time you a playoff in college football.
I know

I'm delusional too

JamStone
12-06-2010, 10:28 AM
I gotta give credit to Derek Jeter. $51 million for three years might still be more than he's worth, but it's considerably less than he was rumored to want. Good for him and his agent to negotiate down to the crazy numbers he allegedly initially wanted.

As for a hard salary cap in baseball, I agree we won't be seeing that any time soon. What I would want to see though is a change to long term guaranteed contracts. It's getting pretty ridiculous. When a good (but not great) player like Werth gets $18 million for 7 years, there's something wrong with the system. That's why spending continues to get crazier and crazier. I say MLB contracts should be more incentive based with partial guarantees, and/or with ways for teams to at least mitigate the problems of bad longterm contracts. Say a team can only guarantee up to 3-4 years of a contract. If they want to go beyond 3-4 years, the extra years have to be either incentive based, become guaranteed based on the previous year's production, and/or have an out where a team can more easily buy out the remainder of the contract, perhaps having each of the extra years have a 10-20% buyout. Teams are giving players who are going to be in their late 30s, sometimes into their 40s, $15-20 million at that age. It's just getting way too ridiculous.

ducks
12-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Derek Jeter admits he was angry with Yankees
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-yankees-jeter

BUMP
12-09-2010, 02:24 AM
So Duncan surpassed in scoring one of the most Chicken Shit Centers In NBA History in Captain David Robinson.

In light of this, the 1st question posed by Koolaid is whose scoring feat is more impressive and why?

Duncan scores 20,921 in 13 seasons with 3159 assists along the way and since the Spurs basically have only a couple of ‘elite’ players in it’s history, the only player he really had to surpass was David chicken shit Robinson for the honor. In all-time NBA scoring today Duncan just barely cracks the top 30 in scoring while Kobe is number 12 all-time and getting ready to pass John Havilicek within the next 2 games for the 11th ALL-TIME spot.

Side note Kobe will be 6th all-time after this season.

Kobe on the other hand scores 26351 in 14 seasons ( with 4861 assists) and surpasses the current NBA Logo in Jerry West, along with a number of all-time great players ( such as Kareem, Magic, Wilt, Shaq, Baylor, etc). Now since it’s holiday season let me be generous…I will subtract Kobe’s rookie season numbers ( 539 points and 91 assists) to make the number of years even with Duncan , Kobe still outscores and assists Timmy by a universal light year.

The 2nd question is:

If Kobe is as selfish as Spur fan says then why is it that as a shooting guard ( whose job it is to shoot the ball) all-time Kobe has close to two-thousand more assists than Timmy Duncan. That’s right almost two-thousand more assists. Now we can understand why Timmy trails in points but surely with all the shooters Timmy’s had in his career and as a big man with his great passing ability and likelihood of double teams one would think that Duncan wouldn’t trail Kobe as badly as he does in assists.

I conducted a non-biased poll and at an almost 20:1 ratio people said it should be much easier for a center to rack up the assists.
Therefore the final question and answer would be:

Who’s really more selfish and who’s most productive… The scoring / assist numbers speak for themselves. As a first option of his title teams one would expect Duncan to lead Kobe, if not in points then surely in assists.

This is a huge indictment on Duncan’s legacy…and once again thanks to Kobe, he seems to love pissin on Kimmy…

http://gamesnet.vo.llnwd.net/o1/gamestar/objects/347107_main.jpg