PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Hill Play Better Against the Mavs?

The Truth #6
11-26-2010, 11:56 PM
Warning: completely speculative rambling to follow.

It's interesting that Hill plays his best games against the Mavs. He was on fire against the Mavs in last year's playoffs then went ice cold in the next round.

This year he's been fairly passive all season long. He's been getting better the last few games but tonight he finally showed up for the whole game for the first time all season. So why does he play so much better against the Mavs?

I'm wondering if he somehow has extra motivation when he plays against Barrera, as laughable as that sounds. I recall them getting heated in the playoffs last year. It's also laughable to think of two role players as having a rivalry. But what's interesting is the larger point - Hill seems to play better when he is challenged and emotionally engaged in the game.

To cut to it, I don't think Pop has challenged Hill enough and I think Hill would benefit from getting verbally slapped around a little bit.

Pop tried to learn from his mistake with the Beno Experiment by not being so tough on his next young point guard. The irony is that Beno could have used the soft touch in the beginning, whereas Hill could probably benefit from being yelled at.

I've said it before, Hill tends to drift mentally throughout games. To play armchair psychiatrist, he acts like he has ADD. When he's playing well he's attacking the basket and tuned in to the game. Unfortunately, when he's playing well he still isn't acting like much of a point guard, but at least he's scoring points and playing solid defense.

Too much of the time Hill has been trying to please Pop. Instead, he needs to play for himself (as un-Spur-like as that sounds) and find ways to get engaged in the game and contribute.

MavDynasty
11-26-2010, 11:57 PM
Mav Killer, I cringe when he shoots the ball. Same with Manu and TP

sefant77
11-27-2010, 12:04 AM
Barea&Terry

/close

TJastal
11-27-2010, 12:07 AM
Warning: completely speculative rambling to follow.

It's interesting that Hill plays his best games against the Mavs. He was on fire against the Mavs in last year's playoffs then went ice cold in the next round.

This year he's been fairly passive all season long. He's been getting better the last few games but tonight he finally showed up for the whole game for the first time all season. So why does he play so much better against the Mavs?

I'm wondering if he somehow has extra motivation when he plays against Barrera, as laughable as that sounds. I recall them getting heated in the playoffs last year. It's also laughable to think of two role players as having a rivalry. But what's interesting is the larger point - Hill seems to play better when he is challenged and emotionally engaged in the game.

To cut to it, I don't think Pop has challenged Hill enough and I think Hill would benefit from getting verbally slapped around a little bit.

Pop tried to learn from his mistake with the Beno Experiment by not being so tough on his next young point guard. The irony is that Beno could have used the soft touch in the beginning, whereas Hill could probably benefit from being yelled at.

I've said it before, Hill tends to drift mentally throughout games. To play armchair psychiatrist, he acts like he has ADD. When he's playing well he's attacking the basket and tuned in to the game. Unfortunately, when he's playing well he still isn't acting like much of a point guard, but at least he's scoring points and playing solid defense.

Too much of the time Hill has been trying to please Pop. Instead, he needs to play for himself (as un-Spur-like as that sounds) and find ways to get engaged in the game and contribute.

Are you suggesting Pop is an idiot who shouldn't be listened to? :lol

Warlord23
11-27-2010, 12:08 AM
Barea&Terry

/close

timvp
11-27-2010, 12:09 AM
Hill struggles against speedy guards who attack the basket off pick-and-rolls. The Mavs don't have any such players. Hill likes to shoot from the corners. The Mavs usually double-team from the corners. Hill likes to shoot jumpers out of pick-and-rolls. The Mavs usually sag on pick-and-rolls. Add the fact that the Mavs don't really have any good perimeter defenders against speed and it's just a good matchup for Hill.

Leftyventricle
11-28-2010, 03:02 AM
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/top_plays/2010/11/26/20101126_top10.nba/?ls=iref:nbahpt2

Georgie made #3 on fridays top ten!