PDA

View Full Version : Timmy's post game

TDfan2007
11-27-2010, 12:21 AM
His post game looks awful right now. I'm hoping that this is just him having one of his typical slow starts to the season, but what I'm seeing in the games points to another, significantly shittier, conclusion:

Tim's tendonosis has killed the consistency of his post game and his mid-range jumper. Most notably his shot outside of 16 feet and his jump hook.

I'm fighting through tendonitis right now and I can tell you that the very first thing to go is your first step, then your shot, then hard planting of the feet (needed for effective post moves). From what I can see Tim is having a really tough time planting his feet in the post, which is why he's favoring those lefty runners and step through turnarounds that expose the ball to the defender.

It seems like a lot of people are expecting Tim to just magically start dominating come playoff time. unfortunately though, his knee problems are here to stay. So we'll probably only see flashes of dominance from him from here on out. Enjoy the outbursts when they happen, and try not to criticize too harshly when he puts up underwhelming numbers or goes mia on offense for long stretches.

On a positive note Timmy's defense is better than it's been in years so maybe he can take a permanent backseat like David did and focus solely on protecting the rim and grabbing boards.

Obstructed_View
11-27-2010, 06:02 AM
Timmy's dunked the ball way more this season. I doubt a chronic leg problem would be allowing him to do that. I think he's out of rhythm because he's not getting many touches. If the team starts to struggle, they'll discover him and he'll be the next Spur to score 30 this season.

angelbelow
11-27-2010, 06:10 AM
Tyson Chandler has ALWAYS defended Duncan extremely well. I didnt see the game in person but looking at Chandlers 31 minutes from the box score, Im assuming Duncan really had to work hard to earn his 15 points.

I kind of hated the Chandler pick up by the Mavs... I wouldn't be surprised if hes a big reason to why Dallas improved defensively thus far.

spurspokesman
11-27-2010, 07:24 AM
Tyson Chandler has ALWAYS defended Duncan extremely well. I didnt see the game in person but looking at Chandlers 31 minutes from the box score, Im assuming Duncan really had to work hard to earn his 15 points.

I kind of hated the Chandler pick up by the Mavs... I wouldn't be surprised if hes a big reason to why Dallas improved defensively thus far.

This. That's why I dont expect much from the spurs. We are a superb team but we lack the one thing that will put us up there with boston and LA which is an athletic force in the middle to help tim. His game is suffering because he is preoccupied with helping on D and overextending himsel. They are not getting him his touches and our perimeter defense is spotty at best(leading to interior penetration). I offer people this. Take Tim out and watch other teams fg percentage be around 68 pct a night with what we have after him in the frotcourt. The spurs FO failed tim in this reguard. It was disreguarded when he was healthy and younger but it took its toll and theyre expecting him to be superman again. If we had a noah or varejao type player or even jj hickson type energy player to provide an interior spark this team will truly be scary. The FO has done well with drafting and I wont speak against them but sometimes like LA and BOSTON you have to make a power play and go get what you need. Maybe they do at deadline and this becomes a moot point. But we still are a hell of a team.

polandprzem
11-27-2010, 07:31 AM
I don't know how often this is but when the spurs go 4down it's less effective this season.

maybe i've seen not enough games but that is from my observation.

And the balance on offense this year comes mostly of good ball movement. yet again on 4down the ofense stop being so fluid.

TJastal
11-27-2010, 07:34 AM
This. That's why I dont expect much from the spurs. We are a superb team but we lack the one thing that will put us up there with boston and LA which is an athletic force in the middle to help tim. His game is suffering because he is preoccupied with helping on D and overextending himsel. They are not getting him his touches and our perimeter defense is spotty at best(leading to interior penetration). I offer people this. Take Tim out and watch other teams fg percentage be around 68 pct a night with what we have after him in the frotcourt. The spurs FO failed tim in this reguard. It was disreguarded when he was healthy and younger but it took its toll and theyre expecting him to be superman again. If we had a noah or varejao type player or even jj hickson type energy player to provide an interior spark this team will truly be scary. The FO has done well with drafting and I wont speak against them but sometimes like LA and BOSTON you have to make a power play and go get what you need. Maybe they do at deadline and this becomes a moot point. But we still are a hell of a team.

What the hell was Splitter signed for, then?

arodz
11-27-2010, 09:42 AM

The Future

TJastal
11-27-2010, 10:16 AM
The Future

:lmao :rollin :lol :dizzy

Pray tell, how many more years do you think the big 3 have together? Love the capital letter effect, too. As if the spurs will be championship contenders in "The Future" LMAO

spurspokesman
11-27-2010, 10:26 AM

great question. I am just looking at it from a perspective of being fair to splitter. I originally wanted to say unless he becomes an all star overnight were screwed but I am just saying pop is stubborn as a mule and splitter needs more time on the floor to make mistakes and learn from them to be ready to play an integral role for a:lobt2: push. Those guys I mentioned in my first post are battle (nba) battle tested and have the tools needed to put the spurs up there. Maybe pop seen something off about splitter and is looking to package him aroung the deadline lol. Just a joke but who knows. POP is stubborn but he is a great coach.

TJastal
11-27-2010, 10:56 AM
great question. I am just looking at it from a perspective of being fair to splitter. I originally wanted to say unless he becomes an all star overnight were screwed but I am just saying pop is stubborn as a mule and splitter needs more time on the floor to make mistakes and learn from them to be ready to play an integral role for a:lobt2: push. Those guys I mentioned in my first post are battle (nba) battle tested and have the tools needed to put the spurs up there. Maybe pop seen something off about splitter and is looking to package him aroung the deadline lol. Just a joke but who knows. POP is stubborn but he is a great coach.

Sorry, but a great coach would utilize a talented all-around player like Splitter and forget trying milk cheezy wins out of a one trick 3pt shooting pony like Bonner.

TJastal
11-27-2010, 11:12 AM
Sorry, but a great coach would utilize a talented all-around player like Splitter and forget trying milk cheezy wins out of a one trick 3pt shooting pony like Bonner.

Hell, what am I saying, any halfway decent coach would do this.

polandprzem
11-27-2010, 11:28 AM

We gonna wait and see on what date you will occur genius

spurspokesman
11-27-2010, 11:33 AM

I get where your coming from and feel the same way. I meant to say good. Phil is great. If phil had tim he would have won 6 or 7 with tim. I think our point is if we dont fill the glaring need of a prime post defender and rebounder and stop relying on the three and the big three every night we can forget it. The development of splitter (on the floor) would do it.MAYBE

TJastal
11-27-2010, 11:40 AM
We gonna wait and see on what date you will occur genius

You might wanna start using a better english translator. :lol

polandprzem
11-27-2010, 11:46 AM
You might wanna start using a better english translator. :lol

I'm waiting for you to invent a better one

Do tego czasu będę używał takiego tłumacza jaki mi sie podoba

Chomag
11-27-2010, 11:56 AM
I think Tim is just trying to hard to get everyone else involved. I don't think it's from any lack of anything. He still has got dominance left in him imo.

Cane
11-27-2010, 12:02 PM
These past few years the Spurs have tried to get Timmy to carry less of a workload in the post whether its scoring, defending, or rebounding. This season it looks like thats true more than ever since he's averaging a new career low and the Spurs have much better rebounders and scorers than they had in the past, however when it comes to defense they still need Duncan working his ass off.

I'm not concerned with Duncan's limited touches and minutes right now since he seems to always take it up a notch in the playoffs, largely because of being limited in the reg season. As long as he's healthy its all good tbh, currently he's averaging 49%FG which isn't too shabby and more importantly averaging less than 30 mins per game...how many teams can rest their star player as much as the Spurs have and still win, hell they've even got the best record in the league.

Russ
11-27-2010, 12:24 PM
Duncan looks smooth and efficient in his play -- exactly the scenario the Spurs should want at this stage of his career. He looks like he can turn it on when need be and, in the meantime, teach Splitter all he knows.

I don't see any reason for negativity regarding Duncan, none at all.

BlairForceDejuan
11-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Duncan looks like he is afraid of getting stuffed because of his loss in elevation. He just throws stuff up a lot of the time now before getting a good look at the basket.

DieHardSpursFan1537
11-27-2010, 03:00 PM
That my friend, I don't know. So far, he's been doing alright, but not like I expected him to.

pjjrfan
11-27-2010, 03:25 PM
His defense and rebounding have been stellar for the most part, but Timmy is having problems finishing around the basket, and just getting his shot off. It's no accident that Tony and Manu are the focus of our offense, I just don't see Timmy being dominant on offense he has problems even with smaller defenders. For the last nine games he has shot 39%, and even though he had good numbers last night, all I remember is him taking some off balance shots and turning the ball over on the passes from the pick and rolls.

jjktkk
11-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Timmy's dunked the ball way more this season. I doubt a chronic leg problem would be allowing him to do that. I think he's out of rhythm because he's not getting many touches. If the team starts to struggle, they'll discover him and he'll be the next Spur to score 30 this season.

+1. Just by watching Tim play defense, he looks good out there moving around. If anything Tim is probably deferring to Manu and Tony, as well as other players, trying to make sure others get involved in the offense.

Agloco
11-27-2010, 03:43 PM

Strangely, I didn't get that impression. Timmy didn't really struggle against Chandler. Rather, the team didnt look for him often enough. Some of his moves were akward, but as stated earlier it's probably a product of him not getting enough touches. The shots he did miss rimmed out, barely. He easily could have gone for 30 given the touches he needed.

But I agree in general that Chandler is a defensive upgrade to Damp. He can at least bother some shots and is much more mobile. If Mahinmi gets into the rotation regularly and lives up to the potential we thought he had, that's quite a potent interior combo.

jjktkk
11-27-2010, 03:51 PM

Still pissed Pop never autographed your forehead, when you were a Spurs ballboy? let it go Tjastal.

Obstructed_View
11-27-2010, 05:59 PM
These past few years the Spurs have tried to get Timmy to carry less of a workload in the post whether its scoring, defending, or rebounding. This season it looks like thats true more than ever since he's averaging a new career low and the Spurs have much better rebounders and scorers than they had in the past, however when it comes to defense they still need Duncan working his ass off.

That would be rectified with Splitter next to him. The Spurs' defense would immediately improve drastically and Duncan wouldn't have to work as hard.

SA210
11-27-2010, 06:12 PM
That would be rectified with Splitter next to him. The Spurs' defense would immediately improve drastically and Duncan wouldn't have to work as hard.

:tu

Obstructed_View
11-27-2010, 06:19 PM
The Mavericks shot 72 percent in the fourth quarter last night, scored 32 points and outscored the Spurs by 11. Let's not pretend that those things "just happen".