PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Horry, Ginobili deliver big plays

Kori Ellis
05-25-2005, 01:53 AM
Horry, Ginobili deliver big plays
Web Posted: 05/25/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA052505.3S.BKNspurs.horry.ginobili.2a97e2215.ht ml

PHOENIX — Who is coaching the Spurs, anyway?

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich insists he diagrammed the play that produced Robert Horry's big 3-point shot with 2:30 remaining, a shot that gave the Spurs a one-point lead they never relinquished on their way to a 111-108 victory in Game 2 of their NBA Western Conference finals series against the Phoenix Suns.

"Believe it or not," Popovich said, "it was one (play that worked exactly as drawn up). It was an aberration, but this one did go correctly."

Manu Ginobili, the Spurs' guard who found Horry wide open on the right side of the court for the shot, begged to differ.

"I don't think it was designed for Robert," Ginobili said. "I think he is taking credit when he shouldn't.

"Maybe he told Robert, and Robert told me, but I didn't know. Robert came to my ear and told me that he was going to be open in the corner, but I didn't hear it in the timeout. I shouldn't say it, but he told me he was gong to be open there and I just looked for him. We know how good he has done on those shots, so I just trusted him."

What we need here is a neutral party.

Which was it? Ginobili's impromptu inventiveness, or Popovich's planned genius?

"I go more with Manu on this one," Spurs captain Tim Duncan said. "Rob takes shots, big shots, and he makes big shots. There's not a person in the locker room who can dispute the shots he takes. He took it upon himself to pop out there and Manu got it to him."

Regardless of the genesis of the play that produced perhaps the three biggest points of the game, Duncan was relieved Horry's shot was perfect, yet another entry in the "Big Shot Bob" book of memories.

"I told him in the locker room I was very glad he hit it," Duncan said. "I was so tired right then."

One thing is beyond dispute: It was Ginobili who was the coach on the floor in crunch time for the Spurs. And Popovich says that is precisely as he planned that, too.

After his assist on Horry's 3-pointer, Ginobili made a spectacular driving layin with 1:51 left that gave the Spurs a 105-102 lead. He followed with a 20-foot jumper with 1:19 left that pushed the lead to 107-102. Ultimately, with the Spurs up 110-108, he made a free throw with 4.2 seconds left that forced the Suns to go the length of the court to attempt a next-to-impossible 3-point shot to try to tie the game.

"We decided that we wanted to go to (Ginobili)," Popovich said. "We have been going to Tim and Manu. We tried to go back and forth, and Manu is a better free-throw shooter than Tim, so we didn't want to keep going to (Duncan).

"After that three, we thought we better go to (Ginobili) because either him making a great play, or going to the line would be a great thing."

Ginobili said he relishes the chance to control the play in crunch time. Given the unorthodox approach Ginobili often takes, Popovich's growing confidence in his ability to make the right decision when the game is on the line is gratifying.

"I am very happy that I gave that confidence back to him," Ginobili said, "and that I could make those couple of shots or couple of passes and help my team to win. He didn't tell me anything in particular; just try to find the best shot."

SilverPlayer
05-25-2005, 02:33 AM
So wait I don't get it....Did Pop draw up the play or was it Manu freestyling again?

Help me I've been CIA'd

PM5K
05-25-2005, 02:38 AM
Manu was too busy fixing his hair during the timeout, LOL.....

PM5K
05-25-2005, 02:40 AM
manu: tony get my secret weapon!!!
tony: gel or hairspray?

Scrunchie Tony, you know I always use the scrunchie!

PM5K
05-25-2005, 02:46 AM
manu should wear those things that gurls wear...i dont know the name. they are shaped like a U

you start from your forehead and pull it over your head until it holds the hair in place

:lmao

SCREW the headbands

Manu with cornrows?

PM5K
05-25-2005, 02:48 AM
I know what you are talking about, was joking with the cornrows ;-)