PDA

View Full Version : Finals Tickets???

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
05-25-2005, 02:58 AM
The spurs still have ALOT of work to do in this series I know, but does anyone know how they sale finals tickets, i tried to get them in 99/03, but wasnt lucky enough to get any, I just want to know the best way to go about getting finals tickets through ticketmaster?

exstatic
05-25-2005, 04:57 AM
I didn't get any in '99, but got to Game 1 in '03. One trick is that if you don't get them quickly, keep your calendar clear, and wait for game day. They allocate a block of tickets for the opposing team, and if those don't sell out, they release them to the Spurs to sell at like 4 or 5 O'clock. It also helps if the game is during the week. Opposing fans are much less likely to fly in if they have to use vacation.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
05-25-2005, 02:19 PM
thanks for the tip.... Do they sale tickets on first come, first serve bases, or is it done through a lottery?

Is it smarter to camp out all night, or try to get them online?

Solid D
05-25-2005, 02:23 PM
http://humanities.byu.edu/elc/student/idioms/proverbs/images/dont_count_chickens.jpg

mikester
05-25-2005, 02:25 PM
In '99 I had to camp out for my finals tix. But that was at the Alamodome, more tix for the taking. my brother and i had tix for the Games 1 & 2. In '03, I got my tix via ticketmaster.com. I went to Games 1 & 6, that's probably the best way. If I'm not mistaken they didn't allow people to camp in "03 for tickets.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
05-25-2005, 02:29 PM
The spurs still have ALOT of work to do in this series I know,?

I'm not counting my eggs before they hatch, Im just trying to get some tips IF the spurs make it to the finals. I tried to get tickets in 99/03, but never got them, this year I want to make sure i know how to get tickets if they make it.

Solid D
05-25-2005, 03:06 PM
I see your point and intent. No problem.

It just creeps me out to start thinking about the Finals when the job isn't done. I'm not superstitious either, but it's just a personal reaction to avoid assumptions.

HB22inSA
05-25-2005, 03:09 PM
Good Luck.

T Park
05-25-2005, 04:43 PM
i agree solid.

Ginnnn if you really wanna go bad, and have some extra scratch???

Spurs.com, and all the season ticket holders that will be selling their tickets.

Jimcs50
05-25-2005, 04:50 PM
I got my Finals tickets in 99 from a guy in New York who was going to Florida that weekend so he could not go. I paid something like 20 bucks over face value for each of the 4 I got.

I sat in the nose bleed section but still had a great time.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
05-25-2005, 04:55 PM
i agree solid.

Ginnnn if you really wanna go bad, and have some extra scratch???

Spurs.com, and all the season ticket holders that will be selling their tickets.

Well I dont have extra cash, i would love to pick up some tickets at face value, they already mark up tickets for the finals, and if I plan on buying through scalpers i'd be paying 2-3x's face value. I tried to get tickets for 99/03 and wasnt lucky enough, so this year, IF THE SPURS WIN 2 MORE GAMES!!! I'm willing to camp out over night or whatever it takes to get tickets.

Faccia di Angelo
05-25-2005, 05:08 PM
I know its virtually impossible to get some of those tickets from Ticketmaster, or I just have the worst luck :( but me too Ginnnnobili, I'll do whatever it takes to get me some Finals tickets!!!!

within reason :)

Jimcs50
05-25-2005, 05:11 PM
I know its virtually impossible to get some of those tickets from Ticketmaster, or I just have the worst luck :( but me too Ginnnnobili, I'll do whatever it takes to get me some Finals tickets!!!!

within reason :)

:angel

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-25-2005, 06:22 PM
Are they still doing the '03 thing where you have to be in S. Texas or have a credit card with a S. Texas zip to get an order in on Ticketmaster?

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-25-2005, 06:31 PM
My column for the old-school SpursCentral.com in 1999. My friend and I were talking about camping out for tickets if the Spurs make the finals this year.

-----

Congratulations to the Spurs, and to all of the fans who have stressed so many times before, this one is shared with everybody.

I must begin a journey to acquire the hottest tickets in town. Finals tickets, games 1 or 2. This is a recap of a devoted fan's quest for the piece of paper which seperates the mice from the men. The people that brave the humid, sticky night to sleep outside the Alamodome so they can have a shot at tickets.

Now I must say that I was never truly prepared for what the night would bring me, and proper planning is recommended before attempting this scheme. You have to take some food (because true entreprenuers will jack up the prices on you), drinks (because you'll eat the wrong thing, and you'll get VERY thirsty; see reason for food, again, high prices), and some entertainment...cards, dice, books, pen and paper (for website column writing), or something (because you WILL get bored out of your mind).

That passed, my night was fun, and I'd do it again in a second, now if I actually got tickets will be mentioned later.

I arrive at the Dome at about 9:40pm thinking I would have a great spot in the lines already forming. Right...and wrong. At the time, I thought I had some of the worst seating, nearly halfway around the Dome, 500-600 people back. By the next morning, people were trying to buy my space in line.

I sat with a diverse bunch of fans; some guys younger than me (a year or 2), a young woman, and some middle-aged men. They were all great once we had a common reason to start talking. I'm not sure if it was the Spurs, or the ants biting our asses.

I wasn't the most preapred person in the world, mind you. Luckily, I was able to talk my best friend to come with me, even if he couldn't stay, he surprised me with a folding chair, so Will...THANK YOU!

Some of the people in line were fully stocked with sandwiches, candy, chips, and sodas. Me, a jug of water, and some candy in my bag. It wasn't pretty.

The most annoying thing about the night was the people who circled the Dome honking their horns. One guy was videotaping the rides around the Dome, I swear, he passed by me about 20 times. Well, one of those times, myself, along with a couple of the guys next to me in line, assisted in mooning the amatuer cameraman as he passed. But that didn't stop him. AHHHHHH!

After a couple of the guys were sent to get us tacos, about 30 tacos between 6 guys, we just sat back and talked about anything that came to mind, no doubt waking our neighbors. But who cares!

Fast forward to about 5 in the morning, not too tired, still laughing. We walk to the front of the Dome to try and get ourselves on the morning newscast (something else everyone who stands in line MUST do, or it doesn't count). It works, but only after we drowned out the first live shot with too much noise, and then having my back used as a catapult for some over-anxious people with no lives (you know if that were true I wouldn't have been trying to get on TV, so shut up Joe).

5:45am- OK, now I'm feeling woozy, and it was still dark...nighty-night for Joe. ZZZZZZZZZ

6:10am- After a full night's sleep (yeah, right), I wake up to my hip buzzing. "Who the hell is this paging me at 6 in the morning?"

"Oh, hi, mom!"

After that, the line stared moving, even though it was still about an hour and a half before the ticket windows opened up. We begin to make the move like cattle...hot, sticky, cattle. Hell if it didn't smell that way, either.

This was one of the times I had to start laughing, but when you think about it, who has the last laugh. There were some people who started arriving thinking they were going to be first in line for tickets.

"Ha!"

Anyways, there are still somethings you REALLY don't want to do to an angry mob standing in a line...and that's cutting! We caught a few people trying to do it, but with the top-notch security at the Dome, nothing happened, but I still got to the ticket window before they did.

When people meet me for the first time, I tell them the one thing I hate the most is stupid people. How are you going to get to the window, and not know what you want?

All we could do in the group I was in was to make the crowd laugh to keep everyone calm.

Cries of, "Is this the ticket line for N'Sync," and "Kill the scalper," were the most popular ones.

As much as we tried to laugh, if someone took over 3-4 minutes to get their tickets, we booed, made death threats, and basically bad-mouthed their whole existence...at least until they moved.

I know what you're thinking...well, it kept us calm...for a little bit. 13 hours after I arrived at the Dome, I stood in front of ticket window number 4 with my destiny in my hands...it was meant for me to see the Spurs win the championship, you know. At this time, I didn't care what I got...as long as I could get into the Dome to see the Finals.

I wasn't at all picky...I just wanted something I could afford (which turned out to be only one section), 5 of them (3 for my family, and 2 for a friend), and I didn't have a game preference.

"Well Sir, let me see what I can get you." I hated hearing that.

It seemed like the calm before the storm, the calm before my wrath of sweaty, angry, complete being erupted into a state of riot and disarray. Believe me, I prayed, and hoped, and asked the other around me to wish me well. Some did, while others told me to hurry the hell up. I yelled at some people, so I guess turnabout is fair play.

"OK Sir, I have 5 tickets to Game 1, Section 309, Seats 7-11...that'll be $79.50."

"Yes!" I would have kissed people, I was so happy, I WOULD HAVE, being the main words. Success is sweet. I was very surprised in myself that as I left the ticket line, I didn't gloat to people behind me, I'm still wondering why I didn't. Maybe it was my joy, maybe I've learned to calm myself, maybe, just maybe I was becoming a better person...nah, I doubt it! I'm a fan, and I always will be, and your success over others who would have killed for your "luck" is the ultimate reason to gloat.

Don't worry, I'll work on it, that won't happen again.

Tickets sold out in 8 hours...70,000 tickets sold for the first NBA Finals this city has seen without clicking a remote. And I was a part of it, I was one of the first, it's till something I'll remember, and do again if I have to, no doubt!

Again, everyone should do this for something at least once, trust me, you'll love it, unless you get screwed by the ticket comapnies (see Buffalo Sabres Stanley Cup ticket sales).

Tired, battered, hungry, thirsty, and barely able to drive home, I kept looking at those 5 tickets. Now this wasn't some kind of religous experience with the tickets (You are my master, tickets, COMMAND ME!), but I could look at them and say to myself it was all worth it.

All that for 5 pieces of paper to be ripped apart in about a week, yeah...all of it for the experience.

But, seriously though, isn't it all just a basketball game...

-----

http://olympia.fortunecity.com/ronaldo/81/joe/joe.htm

MannyIsGod
05-25-2005, 06:32 PM
Ticketmaster is going to be your best bet if you want to get them anywhere near face. Just the way it goes for the finals.

Shelly
05-25-2005, 06:33 PM
We went to a finals game in '03. Paid a pretty penny for them in club 200, but it was worth it even though they lost that game :(

My parents are coming to town tomorrow and my Lakerfan father said he may want to see a game. He's gotta foot the bill for 6 tickets, though...:lol

midgetonadonkey
05-25-2005, 09:16 PM
I scored 4 tickets to 2003 Game 6, the clincher, by getting lucky and getting the third spot in line at the ticketmaster lottery they had. It was bullshit luck. I'm glad I scored those tickets, that was the best night ever.