PDA

View Full Version : Nazr motherfreaking Mohammed!

baseline bum
05-25-2005, 04:25 AM
This guy needs some serious love from us. His play in the first quarters of both games has been freaking huge. 3 steals and 5 offensive boards, and delivering as the go-to guy early is nothing to forget... not to mention that nice leg hold he put on Hunter.

Dingle Barry
05-25-2005, 04:27 AM
Nazr is worth his weigh in gold right now. As much as Beast is dominating the paint, I shiver to think about Rasho pussying it up out there. Nazr's post moves are markedly improved as well. And yes, the leg hold was smoothness.

Summers
05-25-2005, 06:59 AM
:lol That was so illegal! I *heart* Nazr.

ZStomp
05-25-2005, 07:02 AM
Don't tell Sparky this! :lol

Duncanoypi
05-25-2005, 07:16 AM
Nazi is Hakeem....

ambchang
05-25-2005, 07:24 AM
Rasho actually played good defense on the Suns team. He defended the pick and roll better than anyone.
But then Nazr got those strips on Amare.

Useruser666
05-25-2005, 07:25 AM
Did you hear Walton gushing over Nazr Timvp? Calling his moves Hakeem like? :lol

Taco
05-25-2005, 07:28 AM
"Shake and Bake" Nazr !!!

boutons
05-25-2005, 07:29 AM
Walton gushes that Little Nash Rambler, MVP not being enough, is the Best Player In The NBA.

When Walton gushes, nobody listens.

Xolotl
05-25-2005, 07:52 AM
So what happens with Rasho if they decide to keep Nazr?

eddro134
05-25-2005, 08:45 AM
Trade Rasho for Malik!!!!!!! Is it possible??

SLOVENIAN 8
05-25-2005, 08:50 AM
Trade Rasho for Malik!!!!!!! Is it possible??

:lmao :lmao :lmao

SLOVENIAN 8
05-25-2005, 08:52 AM
O i know where Rasho is also better than Nazr!!--> in NBA Live 2005 :lol :lol :smokin

LilMissSPURfect
05-25-2005, 09:26 AM
Nazi is Hakeem....

pumped up a little ehy?

good call!
:spin

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-25-2005, 09:33 AM
How can you applaud Nazr? He was laying down on the job in the paint during that crazy ass whirlwind play! Hakeem comparisons are a tad premature. I think it would be better to compare him to a taller version of Rose, sort of a "Malik on stilts." Tons of hussle on both ends, aggressive going after the ball on post defense. He's a little prone to foul trouble, but otherwise I really can't find much to complain about. He's gotten much better at finishing strong instead of up faking 14 times under the hoop and getting stuffed.

wildbill2u
05-25-2005, 09:40 AM
Nazi is Hakeem....

Let's not go overboard. He's doing a great job, but Hakeem? Please. :rolleyes

Seru Giran
05-25-2005, 09:50 AM
He's playing with great confidence, we can say the guy finally found a home in the NBA. Props to Nazr.

boutons
05-25-2005, 10:20 AM
I extremely surprised by Nazr's contribution, but Nazr has a long way to go in rebounding, or just getting into position to rebound and block. He really loves to spectate 3-pt shots from no man's land and then jog down the floor, unless he's lucky enough to have a long rebound hit him in the head.

He's also very slow in defensive rotations and help defense. There were serveral times last night where he didn't even both to put his hand (seems like Pop has told our Bigs not to put there hands??) as Amare or whoever drove past him at the basket, nevermind attempt to block the shot.

Nazr's clearly more effective on offense and RB, but I find him strangely lackadaisical and unaggressive on defense compared to Rasho, and since the Spurs interior defense is the basis of the Spurs success ....

ladiesman
05-25-2005, 10:46 AM
O i know where Rasho is also better than Nazr!!--> in NBA Live 2005 :lol :lol :smokin

Wait 'till NBA Live 2006 !!!

sa_butta
05-25-2005, 11:16 AM
Wait 'till NBA Live 2006 !!!Yeah Nazr will be in the starting line up.
Sorry Rasho fans but this is our future starting center
unless something else happens this offseason. The guy
is a monster on the glass with some decent post moves.

T Park
05-25-2005, 11:19 AM
Amare or whoever drove past him at the basket, nevermind attempt to block the shot.

so Nazr shouldve fouled Amare on a dunk attempt??

Sorry skip, your not gonna stop Amare when he wants to dunk the basketball.

Mohammed played good D last night, getoff already.

Boo
05-25-2005, 11:25 AM
I love Nazr, but the question is: what happens to Rasho this off season?

T Park
05-25-2005, 11:26 AM
if another long athletic center cna be found, or Javtokas is good enough to play american ball, then hes traded to the quickest suitor.

Hopefully for a small forward.

But Rasho's days are definately numbered.

sa_butta
05-25-2005, 11:27 AM
uh.. he had 2 blocks and 3 steals in 28 minutes and only 1 TO.
Plus he moves so much better than Rasho, only bad thing I can say about Nazr is that he has some slippery hands.

Extra Stout
05-25-2005, 11:27 AM
I love Nazr, but the question is: what happens to Rasho this off season?Umm... nothing?

Spurminator
05-25-2005, 11:33 AM
I don't know why everyone's so gung-ho to ship Rasho off. Having three seven-footers is not a bad thing.

sa_butta
05-25-2005, 11:34 AM
Im not saying ship him off just be Nazr's back up.

T Park
05-25-2005, 11:34 AM
no, but two 7 footers getting 7 million a year is.

If Javtokas can bring what Rasho brings, but more athletic and better jumping ability, then uh, yeah, you trade Nesterovic.

Spurminator
05-25-2005, 11:35 AM
You sort of have to take on 7 million dollars to trade 7 million dollars.

T Park
05-25-2005, 11:37 AM
that is where the small forward comes in that is Bowen's replacement.

Spurminator
05-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Well, I'm inclined to wait until we have a realistic Rasho-for-SF option before I start packing his bags for him during the Playoffs. I just see a lot of comments that strike me as suggesting we trade Rasho for the sake of trading Rasho because we have a better starting center now.

Anyway, I'm not sure Rasho's value is high enough at this point to bring us a sure-shot future starting small forward.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-25-2005, 11:58 AM
Send him back to the Wolves for Wally!

TMSKILZ
05-25-2005, 12:43 PM
See ya Rasho, your a cool person, but as far as talent, you're not giving us much of anything on the court.

Bring in Javtokas & Scola get rid of TMass & Rasho, keep SMarks as a backup not making $7 Mil off the bench & draft Bowens replacement in Hakim Warrick!

rayray2k8
05-25-2005, 12:48 PM
nazr has been awsome but i wonder what the spurs will do with him
in the offseason.. and if they keep him, what about rasho?
or hell what about luis scola??? do the spurs FO still bring him in
with how well horry has been playing?

spur219
05-25-2005, 01:05 PM
I love Nazr. I have since he came to San Antonio. I was even a fan of his in New York. The guy is just a rebounding machine and his post moves you can tell are improving greatly.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-25-2005, 01:07 PM
I find him strangely lackadaisical and unaggressive on defense compared to Rasho

You don't come up with 2 blocks and 4 steals being lacksadaisical, but then I guess if you couldn't find anything to bitch about Nazr about you wouldn't be happy.

There's a difference between being lacksadaisical and stupidly getting in foul trouble trying to stuff a guy like Amare who has a running start at a dunk attempt.

Spurm -

Tpark's stealing my thunder here (punk ass! :lol), I've been advocating for the last two weeks that this summer's personnel moves look something like:

Extend Nazr
Sign Scola
trade Rasho for a long SF.

Then you've got Duncan, Horry, Scola, Nazr, and probably someone like Massenberg around to play down low.

I don't see the Spurs paying 6 million for a backup center, which is what Rasho will be, and carrying what it's going to take to re-sign Nazr.

All signs point to Rasho getting shipped out for a SF who can replace Bowen in 2-3 years. Even though a lot of folks don't think greatly of Rasho, the reality of the NBA is he's a top 7 center in the league, and that means 23 teams would love to have his services.

As for potential targets:

Golden State Warriors (JRich, Pietrus)
Hawks (Childress, JSmooth)
Memphis (Battier, Miller)
Toronto (MoPete)
Celtics (Jefferson)
Bulls (Deng, Nocioni)
Bucks (Mason)

And my personal fave, although for obvious reasons it has a snowball's chance in hell of happening, would be to work something out with the Clippers to do a sign and trade for Bobby Simmons.

alamo50
05-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Naziiiiii!!!

baseline bum
05-25-2005, 01:58 PM
3 7-footers? Rasho's the team's only 7-footer.

Spurminator
05-25-2005, 02:13 PM
7-ish footers....

Shot blockers/alterers in the post, in other words.

SLOVENIAN 8
05-25-2005, 03:18 PM
I really really doubt that rasho will be traded, almost not possible.
But i tell you he will be back next season at Spurs or any other team.Better seasno than this year

sa_butta
05-25-2005, 03:24 PM
I really really doubt that rasho will be traded, almost not possible.
But i tell you he will be back next season at Spurs or any other team.Better seasno than this yearYou know I honestly thought this same thing last offseason but he really has shown that he does not bring it offensively, I mean really his offense is offensive. Yes he is a great presence in the paint but why cant he play the post very well, it seems he moves in slo mo (no pun intended).

rayray2k8
05-25-2005, 03:24 PM
You don't come up with 2 blocks and 4 steals being lacksadaisical, but then I guess if you couldn't find anything to bitch about Nazr about you wouldn't be happy.

There's a difference between being lacksadaisical and stupidly getting in foul trouble trying to stuff a guy like Amare who has a running start at a dunk attempt.

Spurm -

Tpark's stealing my thunder here (punk ass! :lol), I've been advocating for the last two weeks that this summer's personnel moves look something like:

Extend Nazr
Sign Scola
trade Rasho for a long SF.

Then you've got Duncan, Horry, Scola, Nazr, and probably someone like Massenberg around to play down low.

I don't see the Spurs paying 6 million for a backup center, which is what Rasho will be, and carrying what it's going to take to re-sign Nazr.

All signs point to Rasho getting shipped out for a SF who can replace Bowen in 2-3 years. Even though a lot of folks don't think greatly of Rasho, the reality of the NBA is he's a top 7 center in the league, and that means 23 teams would love to have his services.

Toronto (MoPete)
Celtics (Jefferson)
Bulls (Deng, Nocioni)
Bucks (Mason)

And my personal fave, although for obvious reasons it has a snowball's chance in hell of happening, would be to work something out with the Clippers to do a sign and trade for Bobby Simmons.

Then that settles it...
TRADE RASHO!!! (:D)
simmons would be nice to have, but you really
dont think the clippers would be stupid enough
to take him, do you? then again they might.. :rolleyes

Slomo
05-25-2005, 03:37 PM
You know I honestly thought this same thing last offseason but he really has shown that he does not bring it offensively, I mean really his offense is offensive. Yes he is a great presence in the paint but why cant he play the post very well, it seems he moves in slo mo (no pun intended). I agree on the offense statement. But has it ever occured to you that he is doing what is required of him? If he missed defensive assignments because he was trying to get the offensive rebound, don't you think Pop would have a problem with that?

And while it is true that he does not score much (or even enough) how about his screens?

Is that enough for him to keep a spot on this team? I do not know but I also do not pretend to know what goes on in the locker room and what Pop's plan is for him. What I do know from following his career a lot longer than most of you is that he's a much better player than you would think by reading some of the posts in this thread (and some other similar ones).

And finally having TD, Horry, Nazr and Rasho is a nice luxury and if you're going to exchange that for a shorter and unproven NBA player you better get something real good in return (and not just a shooter - PHX is full of those and a lot of good it does them).

ChumpDumper
05-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Rasho can post up pretty well when he has the room to operate. That room isn't there when Duncan is in the game. On most other teams, I'd expect his numbers to go back to his pre-Spur levels. Don't kid yourselves, 2/3 of the teams in the league could use Rasho and plenty of those would deal for him.

sa_butta
05-25-2005, 03:58 PM
I agree on the offense statement. But has it ever occured to you that he is doing what is required of him? If he missed defensive assignments because he was trying to get the offensive rebound, don't you think Pop would have a problem with that?

And while it is true that he does not score much (or even enough) how about his screens?

Is that enough for him to keep a spot on this team? I do not know but I also do not pretend to know what goes on in the locker room and what Pop's plan is for him. What I do know from following his career a lot longer than most of you is that he's a much better player than you would think by reading some of the posts in this thread (and some other similar ones).

And finally having TD, Horry, Nazr and Rasho is a nice luxury and if you're going to exchange that for a shorter and unproven NBA player you better get something real good in return (and not just a shooter - PHX is full of those and a lot of good it does them).Im not saying to trade or get rid of him I just think he a good bench player. And I feel that Nazr has earned his starting role and will continue to do so next season. I think it is a great lineup to have Rasho, Nazr, Tim and Horry.

Ocotillo
05-25-2005, 05:02 PM
A lot are advocating a trade of Rasho. Think Barry might be shipped out? Pop/RC typically do draft day deals, anything this year?

ChumpDumper
05-25-2005, 05:07 PM
I figured Barry would be kept at least another season just to see if the corporate knowledge theory works; after his performance against the Suns he's probably here for the long haul. I'd have to say he's a bit less tradeable than Rasho, but several teams might want to try him at the point.

Faccia di Angelo
05-25-2005, 05:46 PM
lots of love for Nazr, I love watching him on the court. He definitely comes to play. I found that tid bit of info they gave us yesterday interesting about his father raising 11 children and being murdered. I didn't know that and how he plays for his dad every night. That was touching.
And yes, that hold on Hunter was sweet :lol

Mark in Austin
05-25-2005, 05:59 PM
There are so many ifs here.

One I haven't seen brought up is the status of the CBA this offseason. If the lux tax threshold is raised, I think it is more likely that the Spurs keep both players. If it stays the same, for better or worse I think they only keep one.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-25-2005, 06:16 PM
I think it is more likely that the Spurs keep both players. If it stays the same, for better or worse I think they only keep one.

Either way, I see Rasho gone. He's not going to get a lot of minutes, IMO, behind Tim and Nazr.

And if the Spurs ownership didn't like the thought of what they were paying Rose for what they were getting back, they won't like the idea of a higher contract for the same amount of minutes for Rasho.

Further, Bowen's got a relatively short career left, they need to find a replacement and the future of the league is in long, athletic threes.

THere's 20-24 teams that could use a center like Rasho, and would be more than willing to trade for a less than max salary serviceable big man.

Sorry to all the Rasho lovers. Assuming we extend Nazr and ink Scola, I just don't see a future for Rasho in SA.

MI21
05-25-2005, 09:18 PM

Toronto (MoPete)
Celtics (Jefferson)
Bulls (Deng, Nocioni)
Bucks (Mason)

Those trades are just unrealistic. The only 2 which are seven close to being realistic is to Memphis for Battier or for MoPete, but Toronto love Peterson. The Battier idea is great though, Memphis dont have a legit big body, and Battier's attitude and game would fit perfect on the Spurs.

I realise that Rasho would have some value around the NBA, and I have no doubt that playing without Tim Duncan his offensive numbers would improve, but trading him for Jason Richardson? The same Richardson that averaged 21/5/5, the only players I can think of that did that were McGrady, LeBron, Kobe maybe Wade and perhaps 1-2 others.

I think if the Spurs were looking to trade him, it would be for a younger type player who they can brainwash into the Spurs system so he can start in 2/3 years. Can't think of any young SF's out there, but there is plenty.

SequSpur
05-25-2005, 09:21 PM
Nazr needs to go to big man camp this summer.

MI21
05-25-2005, 09:27 PM
Pete Newell big man camp, no thanks.

The less Nazr tries to do post moves, the better for the team.

:lol

T Park
05-25-2005, 09:30 PM
Memphis for Battier

good defensively, good outside shooter. Ill take that trade in a new york minute.

T Park
05-25-2005, 09:31 PM
The less Nazr tries to do post moves, the better for the team.

i dont know, his post moves looked good last night.

Id be all for it.

ducks
05-25-2005, 09:39 PM
rasho needs to go to big men camp

Tek_XX
05-25-2005, 11:43 PM
Nazr's post moves have impoved but the suns made him look like hakeem.

Do ya'll think the Spurs will resign Nazr??

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-26-2005, 12:45 AM
Yeah, we definitely need to dump his salary if he's only going to play 15mins a night.

Pietrus might be a steal... or Battier woukd be fine.

Be interesting to see what the front office will do - I think they'll keep Rasho and Barry into next season, evaluate their progress, and if they get rid of them trade for a prospect like Pietrus and maybe an ending contract.

Will Big Dog come back for the minimum next year?

Could Scola play the 3 in the NBA, or is his shooting not good enough/is he too slow?

ChumpDumper
05-26-2005, 12:55 AM
Scola is a PF only.

angel_luv
05-26-2005, 08:48 AM
I love Rasho and will be devasated if he is traded. More than anything, I want Rasho to be where he is wanted and will feel useful.

What I don't want is for Rasho to take Malik's place on the trading block. That's no way to live.

angel_luv
05-26-2005, 08:49 AM
And Nazr is amazing! I don't know what we would have done without him.

50 cent
05-26-2005, 11:18 AM
I love Rasho and will be devasated if he is traded. More than anything, I want Rasho to be where he is wanted and will feel useful.

What I don't want is for Rasho to take Malik's place on the trading block. That's no way to live.

Please. That's no way to live? The dude is making 6M+ a year playing in the NBA. That's hardly a bad life. I would go play basketball in the sand dunes of Saudi Arabia for $6 million a year. :lol

I would love a Rasho for Battier trade. I have always like his game even back during his Duke days.

T Park
05-26-2005, 11:41 AM
agreed fitty.

Cant say as I have any bad or hurt feelings for Rasho. hes had millions of chances, and hes makin 7 mill a year.

Id say hes doin ok.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-26-2005, 01:51 PM
Those trades are just unrealistic.

I may be smoking a little bit of crack thinking we could get JRich, you are underestimating the value of a top 7-8 center in the league.

That means there's 20 teams out there looking for a legit center, which Rasho certainly qualifies as.

My top targets are Pietrus, Battier, Simmons, and Mo Pete. Give me any of those as our Bowen replacement for the rest of the Tim Duncan era, I won't complain.

ChumpDumper
05-26-2005, 02:44 PM
Can't imagine Golden State or the Clips biting on those trades, they're pretty much set for bigs or will be after the draft. I think Memphis would be very willing to deal -- they've been searching for a true center for years and will probably lose one of their "fake" centers this summer. Rasho/Gasol/Wright/Cardinal would make for a very good frontline rotation -- I'd actually have a bit of trepidation making that trade in the same division.

JUUOT
05-26-2005, 03:33 PM
i saw the name of pietrus coming back but i think he will stay in goldenstate.
baron there being a close friend of pietrus (they spend all their time together) golden is counting on the break out year for pietrus. and i think they might play the Suns copy by going small with dunleavy at PF, pietrus F, richardson, G and davis PG
but the one i would see, just a little less athletic but taller also playing both 2 and 3 spot and from the same school of defensive basket is Boris diaw.

next year if he is not a spur take a look at his play and you will be amazed. his team just do not want him so he could be a really cheap acquisition.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-26-2005, 07:12 PM
I agree it would be hard to get Simmons out of LA, but hell if you're the Spurs and you're going to get a sign and trade of Simmons for Rasho, you can throw in Donald Sterling's personal crack - all the draft picks you want - and not sweat it too much.

You could also dangle the rights to our other foreigners (Javtokas, Sanikidze) out there, I think he'd like the idea of cheap Euro talent as well.

SequSpur
05-26-2005, 07:14 PM
Rasho's exit is next on the to do list after winning a championship.

E20
05-26-2005, 07:15 PM
I won't complain.

Even about the FT's and Pop's O? :lol

mookie2001
05-26-2005, 07:16 PM
i think all our chodes are exploding a little about scola
yes he's from argentina
but be realistic
small
weak
bad rebounder, bad defender
these things he can learn in the NBA, i hope he does
but people on here make it sound like he's hakeem olajuwon

cherylsteele
05-26-2005, 07:24 PM
At first I thought he stunk....but...he has fit in nicely and is an important contributer.

My beefs with him are:
Horrible hands....needs more stick-um.
tends to get his dunks blocked a little too often.
His "D" against guards penetrating is not too good yet....but he seems to be improving each game.

He kinda reminds me of Kevin Willis of 2003 only younger and more productive....he comes in and gets important rebounds like Willis did.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-26-2005, 07:24 PM
bad rebounder, bad defender

Go tell that to Team USA, and in particular Jermaine O'Neal.

He's not going to start, he's going to come off the bench for 10-15 minutes a game. If Malik Rose at 6'4" could do it, I'm pretty confident in Luis.

ChumpDumper
05-26-2005, 07:39 PM
I agree it would be hard to get Simmons out of LA, but hell if you're the Spurs and you're going to get a sign and trade of Simmons for Rasho, you can throw in Donald Sterling's personal crack - all the draft picks you want - and not sweat it too much.Zeke already has next years first rounder, so there can't be too many picks that could interest him. Also, how many minutes could the Clips expect to play Rasho with Kaman and Brand and Wilcox there as well? Hell, some mocks even have them picking up Tiago Splitter. I said that about 20 teams would want Rasho - I can't include the Clippers in that group. I simply don't believe that Sterling wouldn't just spend the same money just to keep Simmons next season -- it would be what Maggette will make as well and really, who's going to offer more?

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-26-2005, 07:52 PM
I know Chump. I'm just a big Bobby Simmons fan, if there's any way we can get him, I have to keep smoking the good crack :lol

ChumpDumper
05-26-2005, 07:58 PM
It's funny, I did some checking and it seems that Elgin Baylor is not even aware of the sign-and-trade provisions of the CBA -- there hasn't been one for the Clips in at least the last ten years. If Rasho's traded, I think Battier might be the one of the easier deals.

MI21
05-26-2005, 08:46 PM
Battier is the most realistic target here, and with Duncan, Parker and Manu taking up the majority of the shots, Battier would be the best fit. Solid shooter from anywhere on the court, a good leader, tough defender and doesn't want the spotlight.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-26-2005, 10:00 PM
Yeah, Battier is the best fit/most likely from where I'm sitting, but if there's any way we can pry Simmons away from the Clips, I'm down.

Did I mention I like Bobby Simmons? :lol

Dude can flat out shoot and he plays great defense. He'd fit perfectly on our starting five.