PDA

View Full Version : Small ball dominated

timvp
11-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Pop goes to small ball the entire second half and the Spurs go into obliteration mode.

Props to Pop for the right call.

Props to Don Nelson by connection.

:drunk

itzsoweezee
11-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Pop benches Bonner the second half and the Spurs dominate.

ElNono
:tu

When Pop is right, he's right. Props to the 3 guard lineup in this game.

Chomag
Just trade our bigs allready!

I need a drink...

ElNono
11-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Also, drives home the point that this team was built to play small...

Blackjack
11-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Viva anklebiters! :elephant

Warlord23
11-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Right now, Pop seems to be considering only 2 options:
A) Major minutes for Bonner
B) Small ball.

I oppose small ball as much as the next man, but small ball > Bonner any day of the week.

BG_Spurs_Fan
No team can beat the Spurs the way they played in the 2nd half. That was flawless basketball. Totally dominating.

Hope they keep some of that for the playoffs.

ChuckD
As I posted in the Embarrassed thread, Pop finally leveraged the advantage of small ball when they attacked the rim relentlessly, instead of just shooting jumpers.

NASpurs
I don't know whether to be happy or not about small ball winning the game. :lol

Mugen
Only a Pop disciple would go with a Green, Ariza, West frontcourt. you cant out-smallball Pop monty!

DesignatedT
Couldn't believe how much better we looked with the small ball lineup, offensively and defensively. Major props to RJ for his defense on West.

xtremesteven33
Pop just showed Monty Williams how its done....

Damn good move by Pop :tu

Chomag
B) Small ball.

I oppose small ball as much as the next man, but small ball > Bonner any day of the week.

I'll have to agree with you as sad as that sounds. :lol:downspin:

Mugen
11-28-2010, 05:37 PM
B) Small ball.

This should be considered the same thing.

spursfan1000
11-28-2010, 05:38 PM
I didnt get to watch, but hopefully POP dosen't use small ball too much, but good thing it worked out today.

Warlord23
This should be considered the same thing.

:lol True, but the version with Bonner is about as bad as it gets

benefactor
He started it to counter the Hornets midget ball and it worked perfectly. He was allowed to stay with it because RJ played so well on defense. Props to Pop for staying with something that was working instead of going all mad scientist and trying to get too creative.

biziofromdowntown
11-28-2010, 05:39 PM
Pops the masterminder!

SequSpur
11-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Ghill...Gary neal...hell yeah...please no more bonner..my heart can't take it anymore...

Blackjack
11-28-2010, 05:41 PM
It's amazing what happens when D. West is given some uncertainty and a different look.

Now, Pop should have given Duncan and Tiago a go against Okafor and West early. But once they were down 17 at the half, they needed to pick up the pace and create havoc. That's a small-ball tactic I can get behind. Using it as your go-to move in a close game? Not so much.

Indy was phenomenal, Jefferson was playing D, Neal was scrappy as hell and 'Dyess was doing yeoman's work with that 3-guard lineup defensively.

Great bounce-back win for the guys. :tu

jag
11-28-2010, 05:42 PM
I don't care if the Spurs play small ball or play with a Duncan/Splitter frontcourt. I just like to see Pop's willingness to make adjustments.

TD 21
11-28-2010, 05:42 PM
That and the Spurs superior talent just flat out took over. This is what I was alluding to yesterday. They can play like shit for a half and still (potentially) get away with it against the Mavs, Hornets, etc. But pull this against the Lakers and they'll be buried.

Dex
11-28-2010, 05:43 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_h4tLF5wFv0Q/S_QZOG75yYI/AAAAAAAAHK4/t8RPEuMYSzw/s1600/hell_frozen_over.jpg

tuncaboylu
11-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Honestly I don't think that Bonner played bad while hw was on court. A nice assist to Splitter, an offensive rebound and layup was what I saw in that short period.

I usually don't like his play, but he was not too bad today. But small ball worked perfect and it overshadowed Bonner.

GSH
11-28-2010, 05:46 PM
That and the Spurs superior talent just flat out took over. This is what I was alluding to yesterday. They can play like shit for a half and still (potentially) get away with it against the Mavs, Hornets, etc. But pull this against the Lakers and they'll be buried.

Just a few hours ago, people would have been saying "Pull this against the Hornets, and they'll be buried".

I think a lot of Spurs fans still don't understand that this is a solid, deep Spurs team. And they can win in a number of different ways. The Lakers are still a good team, but they are far from invincible. This Spurs team has the stuff to take them out.

SA210
Not a fan of small ball as the norm, but props for the adjustment to win this game. Loved the defense of the 2nd half. We should have played that D against Dallas.

xtremesteven33
Hornets didnt know what hit them. Mony Williams made no adjustments after they lost the lead and showed his greeness when it comes to head coaching...

gospursgojas
11-28-2010, 05:47 PM
HOF coach vs Newbie coach thread

Chomag
11-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Don Nelson must be beaming right now. :lol

NickiRasgo
11-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Landry Fields is fits in this team if Pop wants small ball. A guard who can rebound and can shoot threes but not that shooter (31.5%) in 3's.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4770/gamelog;_ylt=AjXAgnyHr2ca6Bs9_X8UfgKkvLYF

Just sharing. Tee-hee.

timvp
11-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Oh and I could hear the soft speech in the locker room at halftime from here.

Worked well. :tu

Cessation
11-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Pop benches Bonner the second half and the Spurs dominate.

Correction: Bonner and Blair get benched and spurs dominate.

ChuckD
11-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Only a Pop disciple would go with a Green, Ariza, West frontcourt. you cant out-smallball Pop monty!

They started the 3rd and played most of it with West/Okafor. Monty really only tried to match up after we erased the deficit completely.

tuncaboylu
11-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Landry Fields is fits in this team if Pop wants small ball. A guard who can rebound and can shoot threes but not that shooter (31.5%) in 3's.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4770/gamelog;_ylt=AjXAgnyHr2ca6Bs9_X8UfgKkvLYF

Just sharing. Tee-hee.

Honestly I think that stats in New York is illisuon. They're playing terrible defense, their center Mozgov's averages is 2.6 rebounds in a game and they play very tight rotation as usual as all D'antoni's teams.

That's why I think that Larry Fields can not be so productive in a contender team

ShoogarBear
11-28-2010, 06:00 PM
This means there will be plenty of small ball against the Lakers and Celtics, too, because it worked in November against the Hornets.

ChuckD
11-28-2010, 06:02 PM
This means there will be plenty of small ball against the Lakers and Celtics, too, because it worked in November against the Hornets.

Do they start 6'8" jump shooting PFs? No? Probably not, then.

duncan228
11-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Going small sparks Spurs to huge rally. They win 109-95 in NO. Definitely a sense of teacher schooling the student w/ Pop and Monty

Monty Williams, to his credit, didn't duck the issue. "I got out-coached. Plain and simple."

Halftime switch was a defensive adjustment aimed at West. Sent different sets of bodies at him, allowed Hill to check Chris Paul.

angelbelow
11-28-2010, 06:15 PM

Hopefully not =p. Lakers and Celtics (more Lakers than celtics) have players that are effective in the post. West has an OKAY post game but he doesnt like going down there, Emeka is horrible. Not sure if we can win with small ball against twin tower teams.

Obstructed_View
11-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Pop goes to small ball the entire second half and the Spurs go into obliteration mode.

Props to Pop for the right call.

Props to Don Nelson by connection.

:drunk

Pop stops playing the wrong bigs, the Spurs start taking shots at the rim instead of the three point line, and the Hornets let up in the second half, and now Pop has a reason never to play Splitter again.

There's nothing like pulling a win from the jaws of defeat so you can absolutely fail to learn your lesson. Or maybe we can hope that Pop faces rookie coaches who played for him when he wasn't an idiot who will counter smallball with smallball and shit away a big lead.

Obstructed_View
11-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Congratulations, by the way, to LJ, for successfully trolling his own site. :cheer

baseline bum
11-28-2010, 06:27 PM
Small ball definitely works better with no Finley and no Mason.

Josepatches_
11-28-2010, 06:28 PM

This.

I'm happy with the win.Not with the way we win.I hate small ball but great D in the second half though

jjktkk
11-28-2010, 08:02 PM
just a few hours ago, people would have been saying "pull this against the hornets, and they'll be buried".

I think a lot of spurs fans still don't understand that this is a solid, deep spurs team. And they can win in a number of different ways. The lakers are still a good team, but they are far from invincible. This spurs team has the stuff to take them out.

+1

elbamba
11-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Hill made all the difference. The Spurs actually played a decent first half the ball just didn't fall and NO could not miss.

However, the defense in the second half was what we have all been waiting for. This team looks like they can adapt to play several different styles, small, big, fast, slow.

jjktkk
11-28-2010, 08:08 PM
Pop stops playing the wrong bigs, the Spurs start taking shots at the rim instead of the three point line, and the Hornets let up in the second half, and now Pop has a reason never to play Splitter again.

There's nothing like pulling a win from the jaws of defeat so you can absolutely fail to learn your lesson. Or maybe we can hope that Pop faces rookie coaches who played for him when he wasn't an idiot who will counter smallball with smallball and shit away a big lead.

You really make no sense. So you would have prefered Pop to not make adjustments at halftime and lose so the Spurs could can learn a lesson?

TD 21
11-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Just a few hours ago, people would have been saying "Pull this against the Hornets, and they'll be buried".

I think a lot of Spurs fans still don't understand that this is a solid, deep Spurs team. And they can win in a number of different ways. The Lakers are still a good team, but they are far from invincible. This Spurs team has the stuff to take them out.

I could care less what "people would have said"; I wouldn't have have said that. As I already stated, I said yesterday they can pull this type of shit against the Mavs or Hornets and still (potentially) get by on talent, but against the Lakers that won't cut it.

I agree that the Lakers are far from invincible and that the Spurs can take them out, but it's not going to happen starting (or playing at all) Blair, playing foolish lineups in general, coming out sluggish to start games regularly, etc.

A lot has to go right for the Spurs to take out the Lakers. Less has to for the Spurs to take out the second tier teams in the West.

ElNono
11-28-2010, 08:20 PM
You really make no sense. So you would have prefered Pop to not make adjustments at halftime and lose so the Spurs could can learn a lesson?

I'm not going to directly disagree, but you rather they learn lessons in November or in April?

angelbelow
11-28-2010, 08:28 PM
I could care less what "people would have said"; I wouldn't have have said that. As I already stated, I said yesterday they can pull this type of shit against the Mavs or Hornets and still (potentially) get by on talent, but against the Lakers that won't cut it.

I agree that the Lakers are far from invincible and that the Spurs can take them out, but it's not going to happen starting (or playing at all) Blair, playing foolish lineups in general, coming out sluggish to start games regularly, etc.

A lot has to go right for the Spurs to take out the Lakers. Less has to for the Spurs to take out the second tier teams in the West.

When you have players that are actually a threat in the post, small ball becomes significantly less effective. Against the mavs and hornets, theyve got Chandler/Haywood + Dirk is not a big time low post player. Similarly with the Hornets, they have David West, who typically prefers to spot up from the midrange, and Okafor whose low post offense is extremely poor.

Against the lakers, theyre gonna have gasol, bynum, odom.. therefore, smallball is not the ideal match up against the lakers. Im sure :pop: knows.. hopefully he wont try it unless were in a desperate situation.

jjktkk
11-28-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm not going to directly disagree, but you rather they learn lessons in November or in April?

To borrow a quote from Herm Edwards, "you play to win the game". Can you not learn a lesson and win also?

JonNOKC
11-28-2010, 08:33 PM
I don' think that Pop believes small ball is the way to beat the Lakers - it is a long season and this team is deep with different parts that can work well together - Pop went small becuase we desperately needed to score to make up ground and the NO front court is not that physical - It made sense tonight - we do not have a DROB to put next to Duncan nor is Duncan that same player (especially in regard to help defense and shutting down the lane) that he was playing next to combos of Rasho/Nazi/Fab/Horry, etc.....what we do have are good players that each bring alittle something different to the game - maybe Splitter can become the most complete compliment of the bunch - but right now he is still adjusting - anyway - small ball has a place for this Spurs team especially against smaller less physical frontcourts

doobs
11-28-2010, 08:45 PM
Small ball works sometimes. And I imagine we'll see at least some of it in almost every game. But in crunch time of close games, the Spurs will probably go with Manu, TP, Duncan, Splitter, and either RJ or Hill. Those are the finishers.

ElNono
11-28-2010, 08:45 PM
To borrow a quote from Herm Edwards, "you play to win the game". Can you not learn a lesson and win also?

I can live with that. :toast

Obstructed_View
11-28-2010, 09:06 PM

Well I did post before realizing I got my ass trolled off by LJ, but I might as well answer you.

Depending on the lesson, yeah. Smallball didn't win the game, Manu and Parker going to the rim and Bonner and Chris Quinn staying on the bench won the game. The smallball defense relies on two guys chasing the ball around the court like crazy. Ball movement breaks that defense down and wears out the Spurs players.

If they look at this game and say "wow we need to shoot fewer threes and more layups" then I'm happy for the win.

If they look at this game and say "wow Matt Bonner needs to be a role player" then I'm happy for the win.

If they look at this game and say "wow smallball really works great. Let's scrap that idea of starting Splitter with Duncan and start Hill instead, and imagine how much better we'd be if Bonner's playing big second half minutes again" then I'd rather they have gotten blown out now.

Leading the power rankings is fun, but the important wins aren't for another few months.

duncan228
11-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Small-ball switch aids Spurs’ comeback in Big Easy (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/28/small-ball-switch-aids-spurs%e2%80%99-comeback-in-big-easy/)
Jeff McDonald

...Williiams, the rookie New Orleans coach, had been in similar locker rooms with Gregg Popovich over the years.

He knew Popovich was up to something. He just didn’t know what.

“I don’t know anybody else who does the chess game better than Pop,” said Williams, a former Spurs player and coaching intern.

What Popovich did, in the key tactical decision that ignited the Spurs to a 109-95 come-from-behind victory, was essentially take out the Hornets’ king with an army of rooks.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/28/small-ball-switch-aids-spurs%e2%80%99-comeback-in-big-easy/

jjktkk
11-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Well I did post before realizing I got my ass trolled off by LJ, but I might as well answer you.

Depending on the lesson, yeah. Smallball didn't win the game, Manu and Parker going to the rim and Bonner and Chris Quinn staying on the bench won the game. The smallball defense relies on two guys chasing the ball around the court like crazy. Ball movement breaks that defense down and wears out the Spurs players.

If they look at this game and say "wow we need to shoot fewer threes and more layups" then I'm happy for the win.

If they look at this game and say "wow Matt Bonner needs to be a role player" then I'm happy for the win.

If they look at this game and say "wow smallball really works great. Let's scrap that idea of starting Splitter with Duncan and start Hill instead, and imagine how much better we'd be if Bonner's playing big second half minutes again" then I'd rather they have gotten blown out now.

Leading the power rankings is fun, but the important wins aren't for another few months.

Good points. Small ball is not the path to a championship. But tonight in the 2nd half, it proved the correct call. I also know small ball will not work against the Lakers. As far as Bonner getting few minutes, good call by Pop. BTW, I did not see the 1st half, so I don't know what was not working against NO.

Obstructed_View
11-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Good points. Small ball is not the path to a championship. But tonight in the 2nd half, it proved the correct call. I also know small ball will not work against the Lakers. As far as Bonner getting few minutes, good call by Pop. BTW, I did not see the 1st half, so I don't know what was not working against NO.

I'm still not convinced that the smallball portion is what worked; I think it's possible that the way Parker and Ginobili played, they were going to do some damage no matter what.

And even if nothing changes, it's still early, and I'm happy to just beat those bitch-ass Hornets and move on. :)

maddnezz
11-28-2010, 10:23 PM
:hatU know what the Lakers gotta play us to. Why does every cyber analist on this forum seem to think that the Lakers are just gonna breeze through everything? Ive never been afraid of them and never will be(as a fan of course). While a healthy amount of respect is due them, at the same time those bitches gotta play us to.You really think Tony is scared of Steve no D blake or old ass Fisher? Tim afraid of Gasol or Bynum? And Manu of anybody? Come on give the team the benefit of the doubt. If we are agressive and go to the hole time and time again on any team in this league and balance it out with our outside shooting.......man we are aforce to be reconded with! When its all said and done and we see them in the finals and we will, I guarentee it, WE WONT BE A CAKEWALK! So, you can either analize how they are so much better than us and what works and what dosent or you can sit back and enjoy the show and be proud as hell when that jackass laker fool comes in here and spouts that bull.The season is long and we are strong and they better not underestimate the heart of our team! Go Spurs Go till the fuckin wheels come off and then some more!Fuck the Lakers!:king:flag::lobt::lobt::ihit

TD 21
11-28-2010, 10:26 PM
When you have players that are actually a threat in the post, small ball becomes significantly less effective. Against the mavs and hornets, theyve got Chandler/Haywood + Dirk is not a big time low post player. Similarly with the Hornets, they have David West, who typically prefers to spot up from the midrange, and Okafor whose low post offense is extremely poor.

Against the lakers, theyre gonna have gasol, bynum, odom.. therefore, smallball is not the ideal match up against the lakers. Im sure :pop: knows.. hopefully he wont try it unless were in a desperate situation.

When I said "pull this type of shit", I wasn't referring to small ball, but rather the slow starts.

They're not going to overcome it every time obviously, but they can overcome that, Pop playing ridiculous lineups, etc. against teams like the Mavs and Hornets, because they have superior talent. But against the Lakers, that won't cut it.

cutewizard
11-28-2010, 10:34 PM
We just need Tim and Manu to be healthy come play off time.

We can win the 2011 NBA Title!

Go Spurs of Manu, go! LOL

cutewizard
11-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Its Manu time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cutewizard
11-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Guys, lets just enjoy the years of Manu!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the greatest players of all time!!!!!!!!!!!

Coz no one leaves forever!!!!!!!!!

I wish Manu lives forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maddnezz
11-28-2010, 10:45 PM
We just need Tim and Manu to be healthy come play off time.

We can win the 2011 NBA Title!

Go Spurs of Manu, go! LOL My point exactly our big three, 4 5 6 7 all the way up 2 our 12th man. But so are the other teams in that playoff bracket. it's been a long time since I felt this confident about Spurs team. Gary Neal has that Sjax kinda mentality," I gotta shoot it cause its going in coach". Rj shooting and attacking like Sean the "Ninja" back in the day.Antonio' grit Tiago's potential and other little intangiables that you cant prepare for as an opponent. Be prepared league......Whe're Back.......:pimpslap

GSH
11-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Small ball is definitely not a path to a championship.

Winning is the path to a championship.

The Spurs won.

Small.

:lobt:

Das Texan
11-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Only a matter of time til Pop really runs with the Manu/Parker/Hill tandem.

ohmwrecker
11-28-2010, 11:13 PM

We've already seen it to close out 4th quarters.

Das Texan
11-28-2010, 11:14 PM
We've already seen it to close out 4th quarters.

We should.

The best 5 players on the Spurs roster are Timmy, Manu, Parker, Dick and Hill.

ohmwrecker
11-28-2010, 11:18 PM
We should.

The best 5 players on the Spurs roster are Timmy, Manu, Parker, Dick and Hill.

Depending on match ups, I would replace Hill with McDyess.

OrEmuN
11-28-2010, 11:22 PM
Depending on match ups, I would replace Hill with McDyess.

In the later stages or during the playoff (after Splitter fits it nicely), I would prefer Splitter to replace Dice.

TJastal
11-28-2010, 11:25 PM
Props to Pop for making the right coaching decision in this game. I still would like to see Splitter start and play significant minutes sooner rather than later however. Duncan, Dice, & Splitter should be the main rotation bigs, Bonner & Blair should be the reserve bigs that Pop uses situationally.

I hope Gary Neal can prove me wrong. Problem is, I've only seen a couple spurs games so far and he's stunk in both.

All in all a good win, against a dangerous team in their home gym. Can't really complain.

ohmwrecker
11-28-2010, 11:27 PM
In the later stages or during the playoff (after Splitter fits it nicely), I would prefer Splitter to replace Dice.

I'm really OK with either. It depends on how fast Splitter develops, but he is very productive on the bench right now, so it doesn't really matter. I realized today that as long as Bonner doesn't start, I'm pretty cool with whatever they do at the center position. However, Manu, TP, Tim and RJ are untouchable as starters. imo.

spurs2112
11-29-2010, 12:05 AM
:hatU know what the Lakers gotta play us to. Why does every cyber analist on this forum seem to think that the Lakers are just gonna breeze through everything? Ive never been afraid of them and never will be(as a fan of course). While a healthy amount of respect is due them, at the same time those bitches gotta play us to.You really think Tony is scared of Steve no D blake or old ass Fisher? Tim afraid of Gasol or Bynum? And Manu of anybody? Come on give the team the benefit of the doubt. If we are agressive and go to the hole time and time again on any team in this league and balance it out with our outside shooting.......man we are aforce to be reconded with! When its all said and done and we see them in the finals and we will, I guarentee it, WE WONT BE A CAKEWALK! So, you can either analize how they are so much better than us and what works and what dosent or you can sit back and enjoy the show and be proud as hell when that jackass laker fool comes in here and spouts that bull.The season is long and we are strong and they better not underestimate the heart of our team! Go Spurs Go till the fuckin wheels come off and then some more!Fuck the Lakers!:king:flag::lobt::lobt::ihit

+1 Amen bro, thats some deep shit!:flag:

crc21209
11-29-2010, 12:10 AM
I can't believe we actually saw small ball work. Although I do think it CAN work, but it has to be against the right teams. Try this small ball line-up today against the Lakers and we probably get killed. But against the Hornets it worked because West and Okafor arent exactly "huge" guys. But props to Pop anyways for throwing a small, quick lineup out there to swarm the Hornets. :tu

UnWantedTheory
11-29-2010, 01:53 AM
not a fan of small ball as the norm, but props for the adjustment to win this game.

EricB
11-29-2010, 03:46 AM
Props to Pop for making the right coaching decision in this game. I still would like to see Splitter start and play significant minutes sooner rather than later however. Duncan, Dice, & Splitter should be the main rotation bigs, Bonner & Blair should be the reserve bigs that Pop uses situationally.

I hope Gary Neal can prove me wrong. Problem is, I've only seen a couple spurs games so far and he's stunk in both.

All in all a good win, against a dangerous team in their home gym. Can't really complain.

pretty much exactly what i was thinking. good post :tu

ChumpDumper
11-29-2010, 04:53 AM
Spurs win.

Fire Pop.

Wilford Brimley
11-29-2010, 05:10 AM
I'm still waiting for the bottom to fall out, yet I can't help but be excited.

polandprzem
11-29-2010, 06:15 AM

:lol

A tandem that include 3 people :D

Small ball can be effective and I said it before - long time ago.

In the 2nd half spurs picked up the D and they pretty much locked down Hornets big as help was quick to come and rotations were sharp.

That was a beautiful game

lefty
11-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Couldn't believe how much better we looked with the small ball lineup, offensively and defensively. Major props to RJ for his defense on West.
Small ball works IF you have the right personel, which we didnt have a few years ago.

But now, it can work

99-03-05-07
11-29-2010, 01:07 PM
shades of nelly? haha jk

velik_m
11-29-2010, 01:29 PM
San Antonio Suns.

Obstructed_View
11-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Small ball works IF you have the right personel, which we didnt have a few years ago.

But now, it can work

Any scheme works with energetic defense and inside scoring.

Solid D
11-29-2010, 09:13 PM

He was allowed to stay with it because RJ played so well on defense. Props to Pop for staying with something that was working instead of going all mad scientist and trying to get too creative.

I've never seen Richard Jefferson play that tough on defense.....and like it.

Spurologist
11-29-2010, 09:29 PM
Props to Pop for making the right call for the comeback. :tu Having said that, fuck small ball

TD 21
11-29-2010, 11:19 PM

But now, it can work

The key to small ball is long, versatile forwards/wings.

The Spurs still don't have that. Only Jefferson and to a lesser extent, Anderson, somewhat fit that description, the rest of the perimeter players on this team are guards (Udoka is a forward trapped in a guards body. . .he plays forward because he's not skilled enough to play guard).

Against a smallish PF like West, who's more of a face up four than a back to the basket type, the Spurs can get away with going small because Jefferson can guard him without being completely physically overwhelmed. Also, West is a poor rebounder, so the Spurs don't have to worry about getting destroyed on the glass.

Josepatches_
11-30-2010, 12:07 AM

The Spurs still don't have that. Only Jefferson and to a lesser extent, Anderson, somewhat fit that description, the rest of the perimeter players on this team are guards (Udoka is a forward trapped in a guards body. . .he plays forward because he's not skilled enough to play guard).

Against a smallish PF like West, who's more of a face up four than a back to the basket type, the Spurs can get away with going small because Jefferson can guard him without being completely physically overwhelmed. Also, West is a poor rebounder, so the Spurs don't have to worry about getting destroyed on the glass.

This.

TE
11-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Small ball only works against certain teams.

Certainly the Spurs exploited the opportunity and discovered a way to "small ball" the Hornets out of the gym.

Against the Lakers however (which is our biggest threat), we need to play both small and large ball.

Solid D
11-30-2010, 12:37 AM

It's a luxury but not a necessity for small ball. Basketball can be a rock-paper-scissors game. "Long, versitile forwards/wings" don't necessarily trump 3 quick, good-shooting guards...an increasingly popular basketball strategy. The attacking style of Parker, Hill and Ginobili plus RJ can get them into the bonus and their opponents in foul trouble in many scenarios. Yet, the opposition must honor the outside. Why? They can shoot as well as dribble drive and attack...especially the 3 quick guards.

It's not an end-all strategy to go small but it's a great pair of scissors to have.

Spursfanfromafar
11-30-2010, 12:43 AM
Basketball can be a rock-paper-scissors game.

Beautifully put.

Its a chess game played with abnormally tall athletes for pawns and sometimes, two rooks can be more powerful than a queen piece.

Solid D
11-30-2010, 10:24 AM
:tu

LeCrab
11-30-2010, 11:23 PM
never thought id say this but small ball is working great rght now

Solid D
12-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Bump.
Small ball was the right decision versus Minnesota in the 4th quarter. Duncan, RJ, Gino, Hill, Neal and Parker.

Sometimes scissors beats paper.

DesignatedT
12-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Parker,Hill,Manu,RJ,Duncan seems to be a lineup noone can stop. Definitely our best Defensive lineup. RJ has gotten a lot more comfortable at that "small ball 4" position.