PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili for MVP?

migol
11-28-2010, 05:50 PM
If the Spurs and Manu Ginobili continue playing at the level they have been for the rest of the year, will Ginobili have a solid chance of winning an MVP award?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AriamKrm9qzcW7764DGwF57TjdIF?slug=nba_co m-race-to-mvp-week5-20101126

Discuss.

Refocus
11-28-2010, 05:52 PM
No chance. He's not hyped like the rest.

It'd be cool if he could be an all-star again though.

migol
11-28-2010, 05:59 PM
No chance. He's not hyped like the rest.

It'd be cool if he could be an all-star again though.Yes, I agree. They should at least give him an All-Star spot behind Kobe. It's the least the coaches and the league can do. It's unbelievable when a guy has won 2 Olympic medals, led the all players in the Olympics in basketball scoring, 3 championships, Euro-league champ and mvp and one 6th man of year award but only have one All-Star appearance. I don't get it.

BanditHiro
11-28-2010, 06:01 PM
we would have to have the best record in the league and maybe not even that is enough. we probably have to win 70 games for him to be in the discussion

spursfan1000
11-28-2010, 06:01 PM
No spurs player will be an MVP until we get a player like kobe paul lebron etc.

emanueldavidginobili
11-28-2010, 06:02 PM
I hope he can get to the ASG,i think that is dueable

jestersmash
11-28-2010, 06:06 PM
No. </thread>

This has been discussed in the 5 other threads already.

There are other players on other teams that are clearly ahead of Ginobili in the discussion right now. Gasol/Kobe. Rose. Dwight. DWill. Too many superstars in this league.

hitmanyr2k
11-28-2010, 06:06 PM
With the way he's playing he'll have an all-star selection for sure but I think MVP is out of the question.

SA210
11-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Best player on the best team, record-wise. He has my vote so far.

Manu for MVP! :tu

jestersmash
Oh and not to mention Tony Parker was playing spectacularly for the first 13 games of the season. He and Ginobili arguably shared "co-MVP" of the Spurs team during that stretch.

2 less than par games doesn't take Tony out of the discussion when considering the Spurs alone, either.

And, neither Parker nor Ginobili have a realistic shot at the entire thing, in my opinion.

Let's not forget about Tony though. He's been critical to the Spurs success just as much as Ginobili thus far.

hitmanyr2k
No. </thread>

This has been discussed in the 5 other threads already.

There are other players on other teams that are clearly ahead of Ginobili in the discussion right now. Gasol/Kobe. Rose. Dwight. DWill. Too many superstars in this league.

Scratch Kobe and Rose. Kobe hasn't been consistent all year. With Rose it'll depend on the Bulls' record (they need at least 55+ wins) and if they can hold on until Boozer gets back. 9-6 is good considering they've had the kitchen sink thrown at them early but not good enough for MVP.

8FOR!3
11-28-2010, 06:10 PM
It depends on how you look at it. He's not the BEST player in the NBA (even though he's up there,) but he might be the most valuable to his team. We'd have a hard time winning games without him, regardless of how good our team is. He makes everybody better. Hustles, plays great D, has intangibles nobody else in the NBA has, and is playing like he's just hitting his prime at 33. Confidence is his key, never hesitant. He could miss 5 threes and still go out and be ice cold with a game winner when it matters.

I don't see how he's not an all star though, the two best two guards in the NBA right now are Kobe Bryant and Manu Ginobili. There's not even a close third.

boutons_deux
11-28-2010, 06:14 PM
MVP? Manu's too old, broken down, and bald.

-- Sincerely, SpursTalk

Chomag
11-28-2010, 06:15 PM
If the award ever went to a Most valuable player then I think he would have a strong chance however the MVP usually goes to the popular player not the most valuable in which the award was supposed to be intended for.

jestersmash
11-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Scratch Kobe and Rose. Kobe hasn't been consistent all year. With Rose it'll depend on the Bulls' record (they need at least 55+ wins) and if they can hold on until Boozer gets back. 9-6 is good considering they've had the kitchen sink thrown at them early but not good enough for MVP.

9-6 without Boozer is a frightening thought, though. Bulls are playing top 5 ball in the league so far. That record is deceptive.

If Bulls nab a 4-7 playoff spot in the East as I suspect they will, Rose will be in the discussion.

TD 21
11-28-2010, 06:17 PM
He has no chance. Because of these three things working against him in conjunction...

1) He's not a big enough name

2) He's not head and shoulders the best player on his own team

3) He plays with an all-time great

3 could be overcome if not for 1 and 2.

Gasol has slightly higher than no chance, for largely the same reasons.

It's (as I predicted before the season started) Howard's to lose. Paul will be in the discussion, though.

ducks
11-28-2010, 06:18 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166883

Cessation
11-28-2010, 06:18 PM
got the mvp numbers tonight, thats for sure
23pts
7rbs
8ast
2stl
1blk
8-17fg
3-8 threes
4-4 at the line
1fouls
and 0 turnovers! amazing

Josepatches_
11-28-2010, 06:20 PM
If the award ever went to a Most valuable player then I think he would have a strong chance however the MVP usually goes to the popular player not the most valuable in which the award was supposed to be intended for.

This.
Best player in the best team of the league.Right now he's the MVP.

xtremesteven33
11-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Pop MVP?

jestersmash
11-28-2010, 06:24 PM
This.

Only we're not actually hands down the "best team in the league" at the moment. L.A. and Boston are clearly in the discussion with no one team definitively in first.

Then you have teams like Jazz, Orlando, Hornets, Mavericks, Bulls, OKC chomping at the bit.

Everyone else is irrelevant.

emanueldavidginobili
11-28-2010, 06:28 PM
i dont think there is co mvp for the spurs so far this season i think it goes to manu. how many CLUTCH shots or pass or steals has manu had this year? hes had so many ice cold shots to close out games this season. sure TP has been playing good, but the intangibles that ginobili brings to the court doesnt even compare to manu right now. the dudes 33..38 basketball years and looks like hes 26 right now.

Obstructed_View
11-28-2010, 06:28 PM
The Spurs are doing this by committee. There's not anyone putting up gaudy numbers for the Spurs. Manu's on pace to go over 30 points four or five more times this season.

angelbelow
11-28-2010, 06:29 PM
As a ginobili fan boy, obviously this would be incredible. Not sure if the situation is realistic thoug. At some point Pop is going to want to limit Ginobili, Parker (despite the last 2 games) is right there with ginobili as our best player so far this year. Somewhere down the line, maybe January or Feb, Duncan is probably gonna start to rev. up. While Duncan won't have the averages at that point, his increased scoring load will likely cut into Manus. Too many factors for Manu to be MVP - but it would really be special if he did.

Josepatches_
11-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Only we're not actually hands down the "best team in the league" at the moment. L.A. and Boston are clearly in the discussion with no one team definitively in first.

Then you have teams like Jazz, Orlando, Hornets, Mavericks, Bulls, OKC chomping at the bit.

Everyone else is irrelevant.

The best team of the league hands down is who win the championship.True.

But MVP is for regular season and the best team of the regular season is the team with the best record.

SA210
11-28-2010, 06:32 PM
This.

MmP
11-28-2010, 06:33 PM
With the way he's playing he'll have an all-star selection for sure but I think MVP is out of the question.
Im damn sure they'll find a way to snub him out again this year. It's just the way it is.

Josepatches_
11-28-2010, 06:41 PM
i dont think there is co mvp for the spurs so far this season i think it goes to manu. how many CLUTCH shots or pass or steals has manu had this year? hes had so many ice cold shots to close out games this season. sure TP has been playing good, but the intangibles that ginobili brings to the court doesnt even compare to manu right now. the dudes 33..38 basketball years and looks like hes 26 right now.

No doubt.

Tony had good games.Same Jefferson or Tim.
Manu was pretty good nearly in all of them.

At November 29th he's the MVP of the regular season but the regular season ends in April.If in April he has the same numbers and the Spurs are still being the best team he could be the MVP

emanueldavidginobili
11-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Im damn sure they'll find a way to snub him out again this year. It's just the way it is.
if we keep playing this well and have a top 3 seed and manu is playing like he is right now come the ASW i dont see how ginobili is left out

ElNono
11-28-2010, 06:53 PM
W9hPgmZDqRw

jestersmash
11-28-2010, 06:55 PM
ElNono your signature is probably the best example of a play that most adequately encompasses the type of player Ginobili is.

ElNono
11-28-2010, 06:57 PM
ElNono your signature is probably the best example of a play that most adequately encompasses the type of player Ginobili is.

:toast

DieHardSpursFan1537
11-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Doubt it. It's all about Kobe, LeBron, Kevin Durant, etc. If he keeps putting up all these 20+ point games, the media will have to start noticing it eventually.

DieHardSpursFan1537
11-28-2010, 07:02 PM
W9hPgmZDqRw
Yeah that signature is about as good as it gets. :)

Manudona
11-28-2010, 07:05 PM

I love how Hill is ready for the pass long before Manu even starts moving towards the ball, as if he knew there was no say Manu would not get that.

jestersmash
11-28-2010, 07:09 PM
And obviously what makes that save more amazing is the fact that it led to the game-winning shot with just seconds left in the game.

Ginobili doesn't sacrifice his body for that save and Spurs lose that game.

Even the mamba has good things to say about Ginobili, and he doesn't throw these comments around about present shooting guards all too often.

Bryant says, "That's a bad boy right there. I have so much respect for his game. He's an incredible competitor. It's a shame he didn't play in this game. I enjoy playing against him."

timvp
11-28-2010, 07:09 PM
If Manu has to keep playing like an MVP for the duration of the season, the Spurs are in trouble. Hopefully before too much longer Manu can play less minutes and the Spurs can keep winning without leaning on him too much. At this pace he'll be worn out by the All-Star game.

Cane
11-28-2010, 07:25 PM
I think Manu got a vote or two last season for MVP, imo he's been the Spurs best player when healthy these past few years. Hopefully Tony Parker and the younger Spurs will be able to carry more of the load to help rest Manu.

ElNono
11-28-2010, 07:26 PM
If Manu has to keep playing like an MVP for the duration of the season, the Spurs are in trouble. Hopefully before too much longer Manu can play less minutes and the Spurs can keep winning without leaning on him too much. At this pace he'll be worn out by the All-Star game.

Agree. At least we won today in a game where Tony was still not contributing on offense. Hopefully TP can pick it up and Manu can slow it down.

emanueldavidginobili
11-28-2010, 07:32 PM
hes not going to be that worn out, hes a professional athlete, and hes not doing a whole lot of driving and banging around this year, hes been shooting alot of jumpshots he'll be fine.

rascal
11-28-2010, 08:21 PM
And obviously what makes that save more amazing is the fact that it led to the game-winning shot with just seconds left in the game.

Ginobili doesn't sacrifice his body for that save and Spurs lose that game.

Even the mamba has good things to say about Ginobili, and he doesn't throw these comments around about present shooting guards all too often.

Bryant says, "That's a bad boy right there. I have so much respect for his game. He's an incredible competitor. It's a shame he didn't play in this game. I enjoy playing against him."

You forgot to mention Manu made a bad pass to cause that ball to be headed to go out of bounds.

dn0774
11-28-2010, 08:23 PM
His numbers will never be gaudy enough to seriously contend for the MVP. That is a result of his minutes being monitored, he'll never be a 38 mpg player like most perennial MVP candidates. Nor should he however, with the team as balanced as it is its just not necessary.

rascal
11-28-2010, 08:25 PM
He has a shot at an all star selection this year if he continues his current level of play, thats about it. MVP talk is rediculous. He doesn't put up enough stats for MVP consideration.

smeagol
11-28-2010, 08:27 PM
He has a shot at an all star selection this year if he continues his current level of play, thats about it. MVP talk is rediculous. He doesn't put up enough stats for MVP consideration.

Manu an AS? The same Manu you wanted traded since 2004?

Interesting . . .

TMTTRIO
11-28-2010, 08:28 PM
there's no way that Manu would be MVP. If he can't even get selected as an Allstar. It's a shame that with his talent he'll only be a one time All Star. His game would be perfect for it. I think coaches still see him only having sixth man talent and of course having two other All Stars hurts him.

emanueldavidginobili
11-28-2010, 08:37 PM
there's no way that Manu would be MVP. If he can't even get selected as an Allstar. It's a shame that with his talent he'll only be a one time All Star. His game would be perfect for it. I think coaches still see him only having sixth man talent and of course having two other All Stars hurts him.

What? are you serious, you honestly think coaches think manu ginobili has sixth man talent. everysingle coach in the league knows manu is a force to be reckond with and is one of the most hardest players to guard in the league and one of the most overall talented players this game has seen. like people have said its his numbers and his role he plays that he doesnt get the all star Mvp stats and rack up 40 mpg

rascal
11-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Manu an AS? The same Manu you wanted traded since 2004?

Interesting . . .

Still a chance he doesn't even make another all star appearance since his lone selection when his numbers were not very impressive but if the spurs continue to win they will select 2 Spurs.

I said he would never make another all star game since the first one. I could be wrong this year, lets see. He has a chance this year if the spurs keep winning.

Manu doesn't put up enough stats as compared to go to players on other teams.

ElNono
11-28-2010, 08:43 PM
:cry trade Manu now that his value is high! :cry

Fundamental
11-28-2010, 08:46 PM
It's all about the rings, who cares about MVP awards and All Star votes? At least I'd like to think that's what Manu would say.

rascal
11-28-2010, 08:46 PM
What? are you serious, you honestly think coaches think manu ginobili has sixth man talent. everysingle coach in the league knows manu is a force to be reckond with and is one of the most hardest players to guard in the league and one of the most overall talented players this game has seen. like people have said its his numbers and his role he plays that he doesnt get the all star Mvp stats and rack up 40 mpg

Putting up big minutes are what the best players and the stars do in the league. Not putting up comparable minutes or stats is not a bonus for Manu when considering All Stars and MVPs.

ElNono
11-28-2010, 08:47 PM
I really couldn't care less about individual awards. I would be happy for Manu if he gets the recognition, but ultimately the real prize is the LOB, and Manu knows this as well as anyone.

rascal
11-28-2010, 08:48 PM
It's all about the rings, who cares about MVP awards and All Star votes? At least I'd like to think that's what Manu would say.

The rings are team accomplishments. We are talking about MVP and All Star chances in this thread not team accomplishments. Don't confuse the two.

rascal
11-28-2010, 08:50 PM
That was not my post. I did not post those smilies.

Fundamental
11-28-2010, 08:52 PM
The rings are team accomplishments. We are talking about MVP and All Star chances in this thread not team accomplishments. Don't confuse the two.

Once again..."who cares about these popularity contests?" Is what i'd like to think Manu Ginobili would say.

Amarelooms
11-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Dirk >>> Flopnobli.....Dirk is the MVP....God bless

:elephant

ALVAREZ6
11-28-2010, 08:56 PM

Perhaps he never does wear out this season. I think Batmanu is turning on god mode this year...maybe he realizes this is the best chance this team will have in a long time. Not just his team, himself as well, obviously.

Pretty unlikely that he wouldn't wear out but you never know.

Manudona
11-28-2010, 09:04 PM
Let's see if he wins the Player of the Month award, if he does then we can think about all-star and MVP

Barfunk
11-28-2010, 09:15 PM
hes not going to be that worn out, hes a professional athlete, and hes not doing a whole lot of driving and banging around this year, hes been shooting alot of jumpshots he'll be fine. This. He is not going to be worn out. He can play 35mpg. He is paid to do this. :ihit

cutewizard
11-28-2010, 10:23 PM
Manu, together with Bird, Russell and Rodman.....

may be the smartest cagers of all time!

mingus
11-28-2010, 10:39 PM
Perhaps he never does wear out this season. I think Batmanu is turning on god mode this year...maybe he realizes this is the best chance this team will have in a long time. Not just his team, himself as well, obviously.

Pretty unlikely that he wouldn't wear out but you never know.

so one minute he's not an all-star and the next he's in "God mode"? You flop worse than Manu.

ALVAREZ6
11-28-2010, 11:46 PM
so one minute he's not an all-star and the next he's in "God mode"? You flop worse than Manu.

Don't tweak the facts you douche bag.

I only said I think it's unlikely Manu will make the all-star game this year, even though he's having a great season so far. I explained the difference in the league he plays in today compared to 05 when he was an AS. If he had these stats in 05, he'd be an all-star then too. Too many good, young players with great stats these past couple of years.

Regardless of stats, I still think Manu is one of the top players in the entire league. I don't see how I flopped.

ducks
11-28-2010, 11:48 PM
If he makes no allstar he not going to get mvp
tp already has mvp(finals mvp)

ALVAREZ6
11-28-2010, 11:55 PM

:lol

DJ Mbenga
11-29-2010, 12:02 AM
no chance in hell. so far its derick rose. he basically has to do everything and he is on a good team, or it will be. dwight probably has a legit shot. if the hornets fall back to earth maybe paul wont get it.

mingus
11-29-2010, 12:02 AM
Don't tweak the facts you douche bag.

I only said I think it's unlikely Manu will make the all-star game this year, even though he's having a great season so far. I explained the difference in the league he plays in today compared to 05 when he was an AS. If he had these stats in 05, he'd be an all-star then too. Too many good, young players with great stats these past couple of years.

Regardless of stats, I still think Manu is one of the top players in the entire league. I don't see how I flopped.

so then you still think Stephen Curry and Westbrook are gonna make it instead of Manu?

MaNuMaNiAc
11-29-2010, 12:07 AM

ducks should get a troll spur or something. He deserves the recognition as the most consistent, unrelenting and let's not forget succesful troll in Spurstalk history.

No matter how many times he does the same song and dance, or how apparent it becomes that he is goading Manu fans for a troll job, they almost always fall hook, line and sinker. Its pretty unique really.

Take a bow ducky boy

ALVAREZ6
11-29-2010, 12:07 AM
so then you still think Stephen Curry and Westbrook are gonna make it instead of Manu?

I think Westbrook has a great chance, yeah. Just look at his stats this season. Overall, they're really good.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4390

mingus
11-29-2010, 12:17 AM
i don't see him getting in over Manu, but we'll see. He's also playing 4 more minutes than Manu, and Stephen Curry and Ellis are probably in the 40 range, i haven't looked. to me, Manu will get in for the same reason Duncan will get in ahead of guys like Scola and Milsap, who are averaging better numbers than TD. and that's because Manu and Duncan are better players than those guys, they're just fighting for more down the road and so their minutes have to be managed. the better players should get in. period. not the players with the better stats.

TE
11-29-2010, 12:20 AM
Too much analysis going on here, point is: Ginobili for MVP.

it's me
11-29-2010, 12:40 AM

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQiWZZrmllamTvYINzl7OEfxO3Jhh33r _xSLqLMOnIJ1cCWa0WZWQ

SA210
11-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Too much analysis going on here, point is: Ginobili for MVP.

Ginobilly
11-29-2010, 12:06 PM
MVP is a popularity contest that only the media gets to vote. I agree with who ever said that the MVP should go always to the best player with the best record.

SuperManu!!!
11-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Please...don't jinx manu!

TDMVPDPOY
11-29-2010, 12:12 PM
currently his forcing the wins on this team, or else we be around .500

duhoh
11-29-2010, 12:34 PM
well so far, the MVPs of late are the best players in the team with the best records in the regular season.

probably not.

99-03-05-07
11-29-2010, 01:08 PM

how many rings does dirk have?:wakeup

hitmanyr2k
11-29-2010, 01:21 PM

Dirk could get another chance at MVP. Kind of sucks what happened last time he got it though. No pomp and circumstance. Couldn't receive it in front of his home crowd. Nope, he got it Fed-Exed to his house after being bounced in the first round lol...must have been a bittersweet moment. Dirk is certainly in rare company to receive an MVP award and not being around to have it presented. I think the only other guy to do it is Karl Malone.

Mal
11-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Right now, higher for MVP is LeBron. This is how it goes in NBA

ElNono
11-29-2010, 02:58 PM
That was not my post. I did not post those smilies.

:lol

migol
11-29-2010, 04:49 PM

Yeah, sure... I mean poor Dirk is never winning a championship. So go on ahead and give that poor little fella his MVP.

I find it hysterical that Dirk always prides himself in making clutch shots in a regular season game, but in the playoffs he always comes short. I scratch my head and just say, "aw, poor guy is in denial just give him that 3 pointer and let him win this game, we're all gonna feel sorry for him at the end of the season when he fails yet again." So much talent gone to waste.... tsk, tsk, tsk

And here's the difference about Manu Ginobili.... he not only wins the game for you, he also inspires his teammates to win.

Amarelooms
11-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Yeah, sure... I mean poor Dirk is never winning a championship. So go on ahead and give that poor little fella his MVP.

I find it hysterical that Dirk always prides himself in making clutch shots in a regular season game, but in the playoffs he always comes short. I scratch my head and just say, "aw, poor guy is in denial just give him that 3 pointer and let him win this game, we're all gonna feel sorry for him at the end of the season when he fails yet again." So much talent gone to waste.... tsk, tsk, tsk

And here's the difference about Manu Ginobili.... he not only wins the game for you, he also inspires his teammates to win.

lol at you son...Dirk has carried the Mavs for past 8 years....he is a go to player...which Manu is not. Manu is barely a Robin dummy.

Put Duncan and Parker at their prime on the Mavs with Dirk and they win 4-5 in a row. Run along dummy

migol
11-29-2010, 05:58 PM
lol at you son...Dirk has carried the Mavs for past 8 years....he is a go to player...which Manu is not. Manu is barely a Robin dummy.

Put Duncan and Parker at their prime on the Mavs with Dirk and they win 4-5 in a row. Run along dummy

Yes, Dirk would win 4-5 along with Tim Duncan and Tony Parker. keywords: Tim Duncan and Tony Parker. Now add Ginobili and you can make that 6-7 championships. You missed my point entirely.

Dirk may be the most talented player, but he doesn't have the winning tenacity that even Ginobili has. For all the intangibles that have been mentioned about Manu for the last 9 years, where have you been? And you're calling me son??? Riiiiight.

Not only does it sound creepy, it also makes you sound a bit idiotic when you begin a rebuttal with "lol at you son." Because you're also missing the fact that Ginobili is leading the Spurs right now with them hanging on to the best record in the league.... yes, you've delivered some honest assessments about Ginobili not being a go-to guy! Who's the go-to guy for the Spurs in crunchtime? You're obviously smart enough to figure that out, aren't you?

Martin R
11-29-2010, 07:58 PM

touche! :toast

ElNono
11-29-2010, 08:05 PM
douche! :toast

You mean touché :lol

Martin R
11-29-2010, 08:10 PM
lol yeah! no vagina for this Touché!

duhoh
11-29-2010, 10:18 PM
http://slamdumb.com/images/comics/11_20_09.jpg

analyzed
11-30-2010, 12:35 AM
Don't forget Manu also has a an all NBA 3rd team spot in his resume. which is bigger accomplishment than an All -star spot. Let's face it Manu has always been considered one of the top 4 shooting guards all of these years. The only reason he hasn't had more all star apperances is he normally shows his stuff leading to the playoffs and the playoffs, never was he a guy who stepped on the gas in the 1st half of the regular season. This year might be exception. Based on his finish last year you can't tell me Manu wasn't one of the top 20 players in the NBA.

Yes, I agree. They should at least give him an All-Star spot behind Kobe. It's the least the coaches and the league can do. It's unbelievable when a guy has won 2 Olympic medals, led the all players in the Olympics in basketball scoring, 3 championships, Euro-league champ and mvp and one 6th man of year award but only have one All-Star appearance. I don't get it.

ALVAREZ6
11-30-2010, 08:02 PM

http://espn.go.com/nba/notebook/_/page/Awards-101130/nba-awards-watch

Most Valuable Player Watch
2. Russell Westbrook

So, while I don't agree with his exact position on that list (of course I don't, it's an ESPN article), and yes it should be taken with a grain on salt, the point remains that he has great stats and I'm not the only one that notices.

oski1000
11-30-2010, 09:07 PM
MANU MVP!!!!!!!!!1:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Josepatches_
12-01-2010, 12:45 PM
At December 1st he's the MVP so far.
He's the leader of the best team of the league.

SA210
12-01-2010, 12:46 PM
At December 1st he's the MVP so far.
He's the leader of the best team of the league.

:toast