PDA

View Full Version : Quick Grades: Spurs at Hornets - Nov. 28

timvp
11-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Quick Grades: Spurs at Hornets (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/spurs-grades/quick-grades-spurs-at-hornets/)

http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/nov28-grades.jpg (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/spurs-grades/quick-grades-spurs-at-hornets/)

Cessation
11-28-2010, 06:32 PM
all good but rj deserves an A

EricB
11-28-2010, 06:34 PM
I don't think udoka has had enough minutes to have a chance to do anything of note...

Nathan89
11-28-2010, 06:35 PM
Rj gets an A or A+
Hill gets A- for not knowing how to pass to splitter.

How does Bonner get a D and Blair C+? Is that because Bonner's is better and gets graded harder.

MaNuMaNiAc
11-28-2010, 06:35 PM
vBookie over/under on how many people call you a Manu homer for giving Manu a + with that A. :lol

Whisky Dog
11-28-2010, 06:40 PM
Bonner deserves a better grade for his spectacular second half contribution

NZ Spurs
11-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Chris Quinn B- Didn’t do anything wrong in his 10 minutes. Also did little right.

So he did nothing?

ducks
11-28-2010, 06:48 PM
hill missed splitter 4 times and a whatever
tp 9 assist
6 rebounds
2 steals

was not agressive shooting the ball
b- is what I would have given tp
he got blocked in 2 of his first 4 shots
did not have confidence but he did not let that effect his other part of the game
earlier it would have

ducks
11-28-2010, 06:49 PM
splitter hurt spurs rythmem because dumbass hill refused to pass him the ball

Nathan89
11-28-2010, 06:52 PM
splitter hurt spurs rythmem because dumbass hill refused to pass him the ball

This. Hill was really pissing me off.

timvp
11-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Bonner deserves a better grade for his spectacular second half contributionGood point.

So he did nothing?Good math.

hill missed splitter 4 times and a whatever

Hill's value to the team is almost entirely tied to his aggression. If he's attacking on offense, pushing the break and playing all out on defense, Hill is a major asset. His passing will never be a strength. At his best, he's still a below average passer for a PG.

duncan228
11-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Tim Duncan...A bit soft and slow overall, though.

I'm hoping he's okay and the tendonosis isn't the reason. He seems to be moving well even 'slow', at least most of the time. There are good days and bad days with tendonosis, he could even be fine at shootaround and then have trouble by tip. I know it's here to stay, but I wish he could be a bit more consistent. His game has been too unsteady for Duncan, even this early in the season.

Pauleta14
11-28-2010, 06:59 PM
I guess Hill with an A+ probably in comparaison to his previous games...

I mean A+...??

He can do so much better! But at least he looked a lot more like last year's Hill, I hope he maintain this level, we need him bad this year, specialy when either Tony (like today) or Manu will have a bad game...

And Manu deserved an A+++! His stats are amazing for this game (0 TO!!)

Pauleta14
11-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Hill's value to the team is almost entirely tied to his aggression. If he's attacking on offense, pushing the break and playing all out on defense, Hill is a major asset. His passing will never be a strength. At his best, he's still a below average passer for a PG.

Maybe 'cause he is not a PG...

timvp
11-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Maybe 'cause he is not a PG...

He plays at point guard quite a bit. He's also a below average passer for a shooting guard most of the time.

LeCrab
11-28-2010, 07:07 PM
I don't think udoka has had enough minutes to have a chance to do anything of note...
The only time udoka touched the ball he turned the ball over....

silverblk mystix
11-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Pop gets an A+ for not playing Bonner in the 2nd half.

Cane
11-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Fantastic second half for the Spurs. Might've been the most impressive defensive effort they had all season and their offense was also incredible.

TD 21
11-28-2010, 07:41 PM
I'm hoping he's okay and the tendonosis isn't the reason. He seems to be moving well even 'slow', at least most of the time. There are good days and bad days with tendonosis, he could even be fine at shootaround and then have trouble by tip. I know it's here to stay, but I wish he could be a bit more consistent. His game has been too unsteady for Duncan, even this early in the season.

He's fine.

His game is going to look awkward at times, particularly in the regular season and even more so against run of the mill teams, because he clearly tries to go out of his way to do everything he can to not bend his knees too much or move too much in general. That means avoiding spin moves, multiple fakes whereby he turns his body, etc. A lot of times, he basically just tries to get by on his length. Against a guy like Okafor, who he's easily longer than, that works just fine. Against the bigger centers, he's more likely to struggle.

It's frustrating, because he rarely goes deep into his repertoire anymore. But if that's what he feels he needs to do to get through the regular season in as little pain as possible, then it obviously makes sense to do it.

He plays at point guard quite a bit. He's also a below average passer for a shooting guard most of the time.

Defensively, he does. Offensively, he usually plays SG. I'd classify him as more of a two than a one, but it's irrelevant on this team, because they have an elite PG and an SG who has every skill needed to play PG offensively, so it works perfectly.

The reason he fits well with Ginobili in particular is because they're easily interchangeable, sometimes even defensively. Also, Hill doesn't need the ball to be effective. With wings like James, Wade, Bryant, Ginobili, Roy, Johnson, etc., PG's who can relieve them of some of the ball handling/creating, but are comfortable playing off the ball and spotting up, are ideal.

Hill always seems to play well defensively on Paul, though. I think Hill's length and the fact that Paul isn't overly explosive are the main reasons. Hill struggles guarding lightning quick PG's. Paul falls just short of that description.

Libri
11-28-2010, 07:49 PM
I think the first minuets of the third quarter were key. The Hornets came out sluggish defensively and the Spurs scored with ease.

ChuckD
11-28-2010, 08:03 PM
I think the first minuets of the third quarter were key. The Hornets came out sluggish defensively and the Spurs scored with ease.

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/6964150/2/istockphoto_6964150-musical-staff.jpg

Pauleta14
11-28-2010, 08:08 PM

Yes I can see that, but even him admits is not a PG "mentaly"...

Let's just assume he is a great versatile SG who is used by Pop as a PG.
He will maybe become an above average passer for a SG, but will never be a decent reliable passer at PG.
The best proof is that he constantly make Tony look like Nash...

Anyway, it doesn't really matter, I'm just thrill tonight to finaly Hill waking up, we all know Manu won't sustain this energy the whole season (at least I hope not!) and Tony also. Hill is suppose to have a major role this year and his start of the season started worrying me.

Libri
11-28-2010, 08:09 PM
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/6964150/2/istockphoto_6964150-musical-staff.jpg

Do'h! :lol

cd98
11-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Blair gets an A for that first dunk.

Pauleta14
11-28-2010, 08:13 PM

I think it's just hard for us to accept game after game that he won't give 100% the whole season, we're so much used to see him dominate the paint, that it's painfull to watch his game this season.

I just hope his level/energy is link to Pop planing to rest him as much as possible and not physical problems.
With Pop and the spurs (lack of) transparency, we'll probably never know...

Pauleta14
11-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Blair gets an A for that first dunk.

+1

timvp should give grades for every single actions if he wasn't so lazy....

Cessation
11-28-2010, 08:17 PM
Duncan is fine, hes just out of rythm, because hes playing of the guards now, and not getting consistent touches, to save him for the playoffs, it takes a bit to get used to.

Pauleta14
11-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Duncan is fine, hes just out of rythm, because hes playing of the guards now, and not getting consistent touches, to save him for the playoffs, it takes a bit to get used to.

This.

As much for him than for us...

spurs2112
11-28-2010, 09:29 PM
pop gets an a+ for not playing bonner in the 2nd half.

+1

birdy219
11-28-2010, 10:03 PM
I was there and it was great when our DEFENSE tightened up in the 2nd half.
You could hear a in drop except for our screams of Go Spurs Go!! :flag:

The usher came to us and said she never heard someone cheer for an opponent on their court like we did. I said this is how we do it. :lol

I thought we might get thrown out. :lmao

They were all drinking bitter haterade by the end of the game. Manu was magnificent and George was GRRRRRRRRRRRRReaaaatttttt. Loved after game.

My record for Spurs games is 5-0.:flag:

YODA
11-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Something of note:
The Spurs D was so good in 2nd half that the hornets were reluctant to take shots even when the spurs D was a half step behind. Scared into inaction or a pass. Amazing to see.
Best D of the season so far. I wonder if this will keep going?

Das Texan
11-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Pop showed why he is a hall of fame coach this afternoon.

And Hill really seems to be picking up his game lately, thats a great thing for the Spurs obviously.

TJastal
11-28-2010, 11:49 PM
I guess Hill with an A+ probably in comparaison to his previous games...

I mean A+...??

He can do so much better! But at least he looked a lot more like last year's Hill, I hope he maintain this level, we need him bad this year, specialy when either Tony (like today) or Manu will have a bad game...

And Manu deserved an A+++! His stats are amazing for this game (0 TO!!)

I'm sure ducks will find something to bitch about..

EricB
11-29-2010, 12:26 AM
Pop showed why he is a hall of fame coach this afternoon.

And Hill really seems to be picking up his game lately, thats a great thing for the Spurs obviously.

not a great game for fabbs and TJ

GhosTown
11-29-2010, 12:43 AM
Pop gets an A+ for not playing Bonner in the 2nd half.

Hells yeah.

eric365
11-29-2010, 04:55 AM
Amuseddaysleeper gets an A++++ for not opening the game blog this time

eric365
11-29-2010, 05:17 AM
And Pop did a great job in 2nd half but in the 1st half he tried some news things :
- For the first time of the season, both Tony and Manu were out when the game was not yet decided => -4 in 2 minute.
- And the almost all white team with Quinn / Hill / Manu / Bonner / Splitter was not great either...

OK, the regular season is there to test the players like Quinn and Udoka but a game against the Pacers or the nets seems a better choice than against the 2nd best record in the NBA

will_spurs
11-29-2010, 05:24 AM
I think Pop is known for trying new stuff and/or not caring about losing against future playoff opponents. In a way these regular seasons game can be dangerous since NO's coach won't do the same mistake of being owned by small ball twice.

will_spurs
11-29-2010, 05:27 AM
Also, I know that Manu is considered the player who turned this game around (and probably deservedly so), but my props go to RJ... amazing how everything changed so fast for him. He did everything the Spurs could have wished for when they signed him, and especially great defense.

igruex
11-29-2010, 07:44 AM
Beep beep it's The "George Hill is not Manu Ginobili" reminder

ploto
11-29-2010, 07:58 AM
I think many of the grades are too high for a team that was behind by 17 points. I refuse to give someone an A- or a B+ for only playing half a good game- no matter how well he played that half.

temujin
11-29-2010, 08:17 AM
These grades are usually pretty accurate.

my proposal is that ST has an "overall grading" system for the players (and coach) in each of the games. This could give a final judgement on how folks here appreciate what they see.
I would tend to trust this, as well as the overall stats.

Not easy with the ABC system, easier with the more rational 0-10 grades.
That would give an average for each player that reflects the common feeling.

Here are my grades for yesterday.

Hill. 10. Hard to play any better.
Jefferson. 9. He was a terror on defense and offense (in the second half).
Ginobili. 9. I give 10s to Manu only in PO games: those are his real stuff. Other than that, he was the usual treat to watch.
Duncan. 7. Productive, but the bigs in front of him are worringly having above-average nights, as of late (Milicic, Chandler, Okafor).
Dice. 8. Great defense on West and hit his JS.
Parker. 6. Second game in which penetration was a problem, even when the NO defense was melting down.
Neal. 8. Big factor on offense AND defense in the second half. Not timid to shoot (never been).
Splitter. 5. Played during the the worst Spurs stint, but not his fault, in my opinion.
Blair. 3. From the psycological point of view, it is time to play him with the subs of the other teams. Pretty inactive on defense, still no sign of a mid-range JS of any type.
Bonner 4. I appreciate the fact that he played limited minutes, in which he clearly showed he shouldn't play more. That should be the trend in games with all good/excellent teams.
Udoka. 6. Didn't do damage.
Quinn. 6. See above.

boutons_deux
11-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Who was that defensive pit bull wearing RJ's uniform?

SA210
11-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Something of note:
The Spurs D was so good in 2nd half that the hornets were reluctant to take shots even when the spurs D was a half step behind. Scared into inaction or a pass. Amazing to see.

smeagol
11-29-2010, 12:00 PM
I think many of the grades are too high for a team that was behind by 17 points. I refuse to give someone an A- or a B+ for only playing half a good game- no matter how well he played that half.

All that matters is the end result. SPurs won against a very good team. As and Bs are more then warranted.

MaNuMaNiAc
11-29-2010, 01:01 PM
All that matters is the end result. SPurs won against a very good team. As and Bs are more then warranted.

That's not how Timvp's grades work though, otherwise he'd grade the team performance and be done with it. He grades based on player expectation. In that regard, Ploto might have a point.

I say might 'cause unfortunately I couldn't watch but a couple of minutes of the game so I can't really comment on what grades each player deserves

smrattler
11-29-2010, 01:11 PM
I'd give Tim an A because his points, being that scoring threat and producing a quiet 20 points, was huge for keeping us in the game and opening up the outside shots that fell in the second half. His 20 points were huge at a time when nobody seemed to be able to score.

Hey, WTF are my SpursTalk Cash $??????????????????????????

Darkwaters
11-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Just watched the game. It was interesting to see Quinn get some non-garbage minutes. Not sure what he brought to the table in that time...but that corner three was nice (albeit, in garbage time...haha). Definitely unexpected. Then when the team went with a three guard line up later in the game he got zero minutes until garbage time was officially on.

yavozerb
11-29-2010, 02:05 PM
Just watched the game. It was interesting to see Quinn get some non-garbage minutes. Not sure what he brought to the table in that time...but that corner three was nice (albeit, in garbage time...haha). Definitely unexpected. Then when the team went with a three guard line up later in the game he got zero minutes until garbage time was officially on.

Quinn had to spell TP since Hill was playing big minutes at the 2 and Manu was playing big minutes at the 3. Just one of those gambles that pop took and every move paid off.

Agloco
11-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Something of note:

Not a chance. That kind of defense takes far too much out of the perimeter guys sails. You'll see it every now and again (like when Pop delivers his "soft" speeches) but don expect this sort of thing to be the norm. Anderson will help with this sort of aggressive D once he comes back.