PDA

View Full Version : Is Robert Horry the most clutch player of all time

Xolotl
05-25-2005, 07:49 AM
Might've been brought up sorry if it was. It was just something I've been wondering. Want to see what you guys think.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-25-2005, 07:57 AM
Manu sure is giving him a good run.

ShoogarBear
05-25-2005, 08:05 AM
:lmao

Hyperbole much?

Ever see Magic, or West, or Bird, or that Jordan guy?

fraga
05-25-2005, 08:09 AM
I would say no....but he's fast becoming our next Steve Kerr...

Duncanoypi
05-25-2005, 08:09 AM
Reggie Miller...

2centsworth
05-25-2005, 08:11 AM
Don't know many players who have hit more game deciding jumpers than Horry. He's right up there with the best of them.

Xolotl
05-25-2005, 08:17 AM
It was just a question. I agree Bird was great....from what I've seen on ESPN classic since I was a little too young to remember. He was an awesome 3 pt shooter throughout his career. And I believe he is the only one out of those you mentioned that was a more proficient 3 pt shooter.

Now maybe I'm wrong for it but how could you not help but go with the numbers? Jordan wasn't an excellent 3 point shooter, and neither was Magic. Well not as good as Horry anyways.

Jimcs50
05-25-2005, 08:24 AM
As long as he is not playing against his former team, he is one of the most clutch Spurs we have had, yes.

You know it takes a great heady player like Horry to usurp Nazr from the lineup on the floor late in the game. Nazr is playing great, but he does not have near enough experience in big games like Robert has. Horry knows exactly when to shoot, when to go for loose balls, when to make the block, rebound and pass the perfect pass at at the right times down the stretch.

He is invaluable to this team's chances to win it all.

MadDog73
05-25-2005, 08:27 AM
Reggie Miller? How many rings did he win again?

Horry hits big shots AND wins Championships. You can't get more clutch than that.

sa_butta
05-25-2005, 08:30 AM
That was a killer 3 ball toward the end of the game even though
I question him actually taking that shot. I think one of the other Spurs players even said we dont question Robert Horry's shot selection. Great job Big Shot

Fouled Out
05-25-2005, 08:33 AM
I am glad he is on our team with the hot hand. I pity the team that must endure BIG SHOT BOB!!!!!!! :elephant

MadDog73
05-25-2005, 08:34 AM
Speaking of the "Big Shot" name: This morning on Ticket 760, I think Jeff Vexler said that Rob did not like to be called Big Shot Bob. Walter questioned this.

They went to a break, came back, and Walter was still calling him Big Shot Bob.

What gives?!?

Jimcs50
05-25-2005, 08:35 AM
That was a killer 3 ball toward the end of the game even though
I question him actually taking that shot. I think one of the other Spurs players even said we dont question Robert Horry's shot selection. Great job Big Shot

Pop said that he drew that shot up in the timeout prior to that shot. Bob just did what Pop told him to. :smokin

sa_butta
05-25-2005, 08:36 AM
Pop said that he drew that shot up in the timeout prior to that shot. Bob just did what Pop told him to. :smokinI just saw the hand in his face and I thought it was a contested shot, but the guy has ice in his veins what can you say?

ducks
05-25-2005, 08:50 AM
horry played for the suns at one time

Vashner
05-25-2005, 09:07 AM
This was one of the best player acquisitions Spurs have made...

nkdlunch
05-25-2005, 09:08 AM
Reggie Miller? How many rings did he win again?

Horry hits big shots AND wins Championships. You can't get more clutch than that.

U think he won the championships by himself? he was just in way better teams than Miller.

MadDog73
05-25-2005, 09:08 AM
horry played for the suns at one time

apparently, he didn't like it though. (Heard that on 760 this morning)

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-25-2005, 09:11 AM
I'd be more inclined to say Reggie was more clutch, because I've always thought that truly clutch players don't just make the big plays down the stretch (although that is also big) they a big impact during the entire game in big game situations. Case in point, Dirk = not clutch. Manu = on his way to being the guy we ask this question about in a few years.

Vashner
05-25-2005, 09:11 AM
Miller didn't want to move around .. just something about the pacers where they would have great seasons and then choke in the playoffs. It's all about the supporting cast...

sa_butta
05-25-2005, 09:13 AM
horry played for the suns at one timeWow I never new that.
Oh well he is Spur now...suckers :elephant

Solid D
05-25-2005, 09:16 AM
Jerry West was called Mr. Clutch, and for good reason...but

I'd have to say Michael Jordan is the most clutch player ever. Reggie Miller, Larry Bird and Robert Horry are right there after Michael.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-25-2005, 09:19 AM
I remember Horry's days in Phoenix because he threw a towel in Danny Ainge's face while he was arguing with him on the bench. It was the funniest damn thing I had ever seen.

sa_butta
05-25-2005, 09:19 AM
Jerry West was called Mr. Clutch, and for good reason...but

I'd have to say Michael Jordan is the most clutch player ever. Reggie Miller, Larry Bird and Robert Horry are right there after Michael.Id have to say
1.Jordan
2.Bird
3.Miller
4.Horry/Kerr in a tie

BigVee
05-25-2005, 09:22 AM
Horry won't get the top billing because the other guys mentioned were clutch and made spectacular plays at the same time. Horry hits the same basic shot again and again. How many guys A.) have the balls to even take those shots with the game literally on the line or B.) have the ability to make them? The guy is truly amazing.

kskonn
05-25-2005, 10:10 AM
Yea I would say Horry is in the top 3 at taking "the shot" to win the game. I have never seen a guy with a better nack to get a loose ball, get an open shot(and make it), or a big block at the end of games. Getting open and to the ball in those situations is a talent among it self, especially when you have been as succesfull as horry has been at this one thing over his carreer. . Very few players have that talent. it is a lot like the way rodman would get looseballs and rebound, he was always in the right spot. Think of this, Has there ever been a more famous 7 point per game lifetime average guy to play in the nba? Rodman, Ben wallace- but they were defensive and rebounding studs. Horry is famous for his offense.

T Park
05-25-2005, 10:23 AM
Horry just continues to amaze me every game he plays.

The guy hits such huge shots, every single time.

Hes unbelieveable.

I pray the Spurs can convince him to come back for at least 2 more years.

kris
05-25-2005, 10:42 AM
I'd say he's below Jordan and possibly Bird (I didn't watch enough of him). Isaiah was pretty good too. Kerr was huge and I think Horry has hit so many big shots it's hard to tell. I don't think I consider Reggie Miller in this group. I don't remember too many of his shots winning a series. Plus, I think his 13 second beat down of the Knicks gave him too much credibility in this department. It was a huge feat, and one of the clutchest all time, but I think some may have stretched it too far.

samikeyp
05-25-2005, 10:48 AM
One of the best playoff performers of all time, that is for sure.

boutons
05-25-2005, 10:54 AM
What's interesting is that Robert has said he really doesn't like to get the ball in those clutch situations. Coulda fooled me.

baseline bum
05-25-2005, 02:24 PM
Off the top of my head

Game 1 95 WCF gamewinner
owned the end of game 3 of the 2001 Finals, including the go-ahead three
Game 3 '02 1st round gamewinner
Game 4 '02 WCF gamewinner
the gamewinner against Indy when he was in LA (can't remember the year)
three to send the 120-117 Spurs / Lakers game to OT last season
gamewinning three and the gamewinning block in 2OT vs the Clippers

not to mention the back-2-back threes in Denver, or last night!

2centsworth
05-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Off the top of my head

Game 1 95 WCF gamewinner
owned the end of game 3 of the 2001 Finals, including the go-ahead three
Game 3 '02 1st round gamewinner
Game 4 '02 WCF gamewinner
the gamewinner against Indy when he was in LA (can't remember the year)
three to send the 120-117 Spurs / Lakers game to OT last season
gamewinning three and the gamewinning block in 2OT vs the Clippers

not to mention the back-2-back threes in Denver, or last night! Don't forget the '00 game winner in the WCF against Portland. If my memory serves me right, he had two games winners that series.

ShoogarBear
05-25-2005, 03:01 PM
You guys are really underrating Magic's clutchness.

With the game on the line, I put his shotmaking up against anybody's, including Bird's.

I would put Miller there, too. If you're going to penalize Miller for never winning a ring, then you have to penalize West for only winning one way late in his career.

Xolotl
05-25-2005, 05:34 PM
You guys are really underrating Magic's clutchness.

With the game on the line, I put his shotmaking up against anybody's, including Bird's.

I would put Miller there, too. If you're going to penalize Miller for never winning a ring, then you have to penalize West for only winning one way late in his career.

Magic was great I'm not trying to take anything away from him. But in my opinion I think that Horry, and to some extent Kerr gets left off the list on all time clutch players because they are role players, not superstars.

If it comes down to when the Spurs need a basket to take or extend a lead I am appreciative that we have Horry (and Gino) on the team.

And, I don't think you can penalize Reggie. I mean cmon does anyone remember what he did to the Knicks in I think 93? He had like 9 points in 10 seconds or something outrageous like that. If that wasn't the greatest comeback in NBA history it had to be up there.

PM5K
05-25-2005, 05:35 PM
Who is thie Jordan guy, does he have any rings ?

Wait, he's not that guy that has twenty five game winning shots on his resume is he?

Xolotl
05-25-2005, 05:38 PM
We're not talking about rings. But one thing I will penalize Jordan for is I could bust 2 game winning shots over Craig Ehlo :P

ALVAREZ6
05-25-2005, 05:45 PM
Horry is the man.

Knocks down 3's, just like that...

tekdragon
05-25-2005, 05:55 PM
I don't think it's fair to compare Horry to the greatest players ever. The guys mentioned above were far more clutch than Horry, because they had to make the clutch play...they were the go-to guy on their respective teams. I think it's apples and oranges. No way could he ever be as clutch as Jordan, Bird, Magic, etc. These guys carried their team throughout and still came up big in the clutch...the same is not asked of Horry.

If you want to say that Horry is the most clutch role player in history, I'd say there's no question about that. He wins in a landslide.

whottt
05-25-2005, 06:39 PM
Bird and Magic are better players than Horry...

But I don't think they were anymore clutch than he is...it just depends on how you define clutch...

For Bird or Magic...or even Duncan...those guys are elite players...hitting a clutch shot is just a continuation of them doing what they normally do in a game...

Horry becomes better in the most intense moments of the game...for brief periods he is capable of being the best player on the court and totally taking over game. Not just with a last second shot, but on a big dunk, a big defensive play, or of course a big 3 pointer...

IOW...Horry most definitely is the clutchest player in NBA history...and his catalogue of game winning last second shots and stepping up in the defining moments of a game, in the playoffs, stands up to anyones in NBA history...including Bird, Magic and Jordan...IMO.

Horry's got as many rings as Bird and Magic and Tim Duncan, he doesn't have the distinction of also being a franchise player like those guys...but he was every bit the championship key they were ...and I'd say he did as much, in the defining moments of a game, as they did.

The reason this team hasn't missed Drob as much as we expected, is because of Robert Horry...

Pop described Drob as a "role player to the Nth degree" at the end of his career...and that's exactly Horry is, that's what he's been his whole career as evidenced by him becoming the first player in NBA history to have 100 blocks, steals and 3 pointers made...

...plus he's clutch.

I think he is definitely the clutchest player in NBA history...I think he's been so clutch, he ought to make the Hall of Fame for it...

I don't think people realize just how clutch Horry has been...

He's never missed the playoffs in any season of his 13 year career...

In fact, he's never failed to make it to the second round in any of his 13 seasons..

Only 2 times in those 13 seasons has his team not lost to either the eventual champion, or the eventual finalist...

He holds the finals record for steals in a game, he holds the playoff record for censecutive 3 point makes....

He's been replace by Charles Barkley and Karl Malone and the teams that replaced him didn't win titles with his replacements...in fact they went into the toilet not too long after he was replaced.

Horry is the main reason you should never judge all players by their stats...

If I had a good team to begin with...I'd take Horry over Chris Webber or Karl Malone any day of the week. He's that good of a role player. And he's clutch.

PM5K
05-25-2005, 07:52 PM
Whott, all that Brent Barry cum you've been swallowing is fucking up your brain....

pooh
05-25-2005, 08:15 PM
Horry is good, but he's not up there with Jordan, Bird, West and of course Reggie.

Dre_7
05-25-2005, 08:17 PM
Well Reggie is not up there w/ Jordan, Bird, and West.

He has not won a title, its hard to put him up there w/ those 3. But Reggie was still very clutch none the less.

2centsworth
05-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Bird and Magic are better players than Horry...

But I don't think they were anymore clutch than he is...it just depends on how you define clutch...

For Bird or Magic...or even Duncan...those guys are elite players...hitting a clutch shot is just a continuation of them doing what they normally do in a game...

Horry becomes better in the most intense moments of the game...for brief periods he is capable of being the best player on the court and totally taking over game. Not just with a last second shot, but on a big dunk, a big defensive play, or of course a big 3 pointer...

IOW...Horry most definitely is the clutchest player in NBA history...and his catalogue of game winning last second shots and stepping up in the defining moments of a game, in the playoffs, stands up to anyones in NBA history...including Bird, Magic and Jordan...IMO.

Horry's got as many rings as Bird and Magic and Tim Duncan, he doesn't have the distinction of also being a franchise player like those guys...but he was every bit the championship key they were ...and I'd say he did as much, in the defining moments of a game, as they did.

The reason this team hasn't missed Drob as much as we expected, is because of Robert Horry...

Pop described Drob as a "role player to the Nth degree" at the end of his career...and that's exactly Horry is, that's what he's been his whole career as evidenced by him becoming the first player in NBA history to have 100 blocks, steals and 3 pointers made...

...plus he's clutch.

I think he is definitely the clutchest player in NBA history...I think he's been so clutch, he ought to make the Hall of Fame for it...

I don't think people realize just how clutch Horry has been...

He's never missed the playoffs in any season of his 13 year career...

In fact, he's never failed to make it to the second round in any of his 13 seasons..

Only 2 times in those 13 seasons has his team not lost to either the eventual champion, or the eventual finalist...

He holds the finals record for steals in a game, he holds the playoff record for censecutive 3 point makes....

He's been replace by Charles Barkley and Karl Malone and the teams that replaced him didn't win titles with his replacements...in fact they went into the toilet not too long after he was replaced.

Horry is the main reason you should never judge all players by their stats...

If I had a good team to begin with...I'd take Horry over Chris Webber or Karl Malone any day of the week. He's that good of a role player. And he's clutch.
Very well said. Everyone thinks of how Clutch Kobe is, but even he used to defer to Robert.

If I had to chose one player to make a last possession shot to win, all time I would go with Jordan.

My list would be as follows( Of course in their primes).

Jordan
Bird
Isiah
Jerry West
Magic

Honorable Mention in no particular order: Miller, Horry, Ellie, Kerr, James Silas.

missmyzte
05-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Horry is incredible, you all know I think that, but I'd call Reggie Miller, Michael Jordan and Larry Bird more clutch than him with Kobe right up there. Here's why:

The plays are run for Miller, Jordan, Bird and Kobe ... they are the focal point of the offense, they are what the defense is focusing on when they hit the clutch shots. Horry gets his shots wide open because the defense is focusing on Olajuwon, Shaq or Duncan.

Say that he's got one of the highest basketball IQ's this game has ever seen and I'll have to agree. :)

p.s. - I believe Horry's count, if I remember correctly, is 22 game winning/clinching shots over his NBA career. He does NOT like being called Big Shot Bob. His record is for most 3's made in a playoff game without a miss (7). And he does like to take the final shot.

pooh
05-25-2005, 08:32 PM
I don't remember Horry hitting any clutch shots in the 2000 series against Indy. Mainly I think it was Kobe who did the most damage.

missmyzte
05-25-2005, 08:40 PM
I don't remember Horry hitting any clutch shots in the 2000 series against Indy. Mainly I think it was Kobe who did the most damage.

6/14/2000
"Robert Horry played a great game tonight in a lot of different ways," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. The versatile 6-foot-10 forward had 17 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals. When overtime started, it was Horry who sank a 15-foot baseline jumper to give the Lakers the lead they would never relinquish. Moments later, when O'Neal missed a short hook, Horry was there to grab the offensive rebound and slam it through. It all compensated for his ugly turnover in the final 17 seconds of regulation when the Lakers could have put the game away. "When it went out of bounds, I thought: 'All right, we'll just have to win it in overtime,'" said Horry, who has two championship rings from 1994 and 1995 with the Houston Rockets. "It's disappointing when you turn the ball over because it was the last five seconds of the (regulation) game. But it's no big deal. You turn it over and then you have to let it go." And once O'Neal fouled out in overtime, they went into open floor mode and Bryant and Horry were at the hub of what was happening. "I thought we were still OK," Horry said. "We lost him at a very important time. But we can come out and do penetration things and get easy jumpers without Shaq in the game. Sometimes, people think we rely on him so much that we can't win without him." The Lakers did win, 120-118 in this Game 4 of the Finals against Indiana.

Plus, he was the defender on Reggie Miller when Reggie tried to hit the game-winning shot.

MI21
05-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Somone said that Reggie hasn't hit that many buzzer beaters?

If there is some way to find out (Whottt, FWDT?) I would guarantee that Reggie has more than anyone. By a lot.

As for Horry being the most clutch player, I think you could make an argument for him. I'd go for Jordan, Reggie, Bird, Magic before him but he would probably be top 5. Not bad for a guy who has never come close to an All-Star game.

akeen3
05-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Nobody was making this argument during last year's playoffs. Does that mean anything?

Old School Chic
05-25-2005, 10:14 PM
I'm a huge Robert Horry fan. I feel that Robert has his own unique style.
He doesn't have to be like any other NBA player.

Spurgal
05-25-2005, 10:44 PM
I'm a huge Robert Horry fan. I feel that Robert has his own unique style.
He doesn't have to be like any other NBA player.

I thought missmyzte was the only Robert Horry fan... :rolleyes

Solid D
05-25-2005, 11:10 PM
If Earvin Johnson, Larry Bird, Robert Horry, Reggie Miller and Michael Jordan were all on the floor at the end of a game, who do you think would end up taking the shot?

Manu20
05-25-2005, 11:11 PM
If Earvin Johnson, Larry Bird, Robert Horry, Reggie Miller and Michael Jordan were all on the floor at the end of a game, who do you think would end up taking the shot?
Jordan

3rdCoast
05-25-2005, 11:13 PM
Bird would take it, he is the man.

Warlord23
05-26-2005, 12:29 AM

I'd put the ball in Jordan's hands ... if the opposition goes with single coverage, I like his chances of scoring the best.

If the defense doubles him, then Jordan has passed to Kerr/Paxson for gamewinners in the past ... here he could pass to any of these guys for an open look it'd be a high pct shot

2centsworth
05-26-2005, 09:21 AM
The open man. That's what make's those guys great.

50 cent
05-26-2005, 12:52 PM
Horry and Reggie are the 2 players who elevate their game the most from regular season to the Playoffs. Those guys just have a different level of clutchness when the pressure is on. That is why I was always such a huge Reggie fan - he just made almost everything he threw up in the Playoffs. Horry does the same.

I don't think you can compare Horry to all the others mentioned because they were superstars that were the go-to guys on their teams. But as far as elevating their games from the regular season to the playoffs, Reggie and Horry take the cake.

ShoogarBear
05-26-2005, 12:59 PM

Great question.

I don't have time to write the long answer, but the short answer is Horry would get the shot only because somebody doubled off him.

(Alternative answer: who are they playing who is keeping the score so close?)

Solid D
05-26-2005, 01:08 PM
:lol ShoogarBear.

Although it's speculative, I have a sneaking suspicion that MJ is the open man and he gets the shot. He usually found a way to be open enough to get the clutch shot off...particularly in his own confident mind. However, Paxson and Kerr and Wennington may argue with that.

Spurminator
05-26-2005, 01:35 PM

If those five were on the same team, the last shot would probably be taken by some bench scrub because it would be a blowout.

;)