PDA

View Full Version : Hollinger on Spurs being ignored on ESPN

jiggy_55
11-29-2010, 12:41 PM
He just tweeted this:

@johnhollinger
John Hollinger
Apologies to Spurs for us (again) ignoring them. #1 in Power Ranks, with sizable lead, after as good a 2nd half as you'll ever see last nite

http://twitter.com/#!/johnhollinger/status/9298111830687744

chazley
11-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Hollinger usually has good things to say about the Spurs, not surprising.

WildcardManu
11-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Please keep ignoring the Spurs, there are no expectations.

Cane
11-29-2010, 12:47 PM
The Spurs were the first team to really be talked about on ESPN's NBA Podcast with Ryen Russilo today as well. He broke down their wins (said there was really only 5 good wins but most of the NBA teams will be hovering around that this early in the season) and advanced stats, mostly Hollinger stuff. He basically gave the impression that he doesn't think this hot start will last long since RJ, Parker, and Ginobili are shooting above their career averages. However he also brought in other interesting stuff like how the the Spurs don't allow teams free throws since we don't foul opponents and a bunch of stats that compare the Spurs to the rest of the league which put them in some elite territory.

sananspursfan21
11-29-2010, 12:51 PM
The Spurs were the first team to really be talked about on ESPN's NBA Podcast with Ryen Russilo today as well. He broke down their wins (said there was really only 5 good wins but most of the NBA teams will be hovering around that this early in the season) and advanced stats, mostly Hollinger stuff. He basically gave the impression that he doesn't think this hot start won't last long since RJ, Parker, and Ginobili are shooting above their career averages. However he also brought in other interesting stuff like how the the Spurs don't allow teams free throws since we don't foul opponents and a bunch of stats that compare the Spurs to the rest of the league which put them in some elite territory.

usually dont allow free throws but tyson chandler ate em up the other night from the ft. didnt know he was that good of a free throw shooter either.

CubanMustGo
11-29-2010, 12:54 PM
The Spurs were the first team to really be talked about on ESPN's NBA Podcast with Ryen Russilo today as well. He broke down their wins (said there was really only 5 good wins but most of the NBA teams will be hovering around that this early in the season) and advanced stats, mostly Hollinger stuff. He basically gave the impression that he doesn't think this hot start will last long since RJ, Parker, and Ginobili are shooting above their career averages. However he also brought in other interesting stuff like how the the Spurs don't allow teams free throws since we don't foul opponents and a bunch of stats that compare the Spurs to the rest of the league which put them in some elite territory.

Lakers, BTW, have exactly ONE win against a team over .500. The Mavs are the team on my radar right now - besides the win against us last week, they've played a tougher schedule so far.

sananspursfan21
11-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Lakers, BTW, have exactly ONE win against a team over .500. The Mavs are the team on my radar right now - besides the win against us last week, they've played a tougher schedule so far.

and i member the article on espn earlier this season about the lakers. it said: "Lakers continue dominance". i think they beat the grizzlies lol

benefactor
11-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Who cares?

Dex
11-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Spurs are already #1 on the only rankings that matter: the league standings.

Cane
11-29-2010, 01:12 PM
usually dont allow free throws but tyson chandler ate em up the other night from the ft. didnt know he was that good of a free throw shooter either.

Yea true that. I can only imagine how pissed Pop and the Spurs were.

Yea I think Ryen Russillo talked about the weak schedule for the Lakers and their lack of W's against playoffs teams. Mavs definitely look like a strong and impressive team though...imo the Spurs and the Mavs have the best chance to beat the Lakers in the West followed by Utah and maybe OKC.

lefty
11-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Please ignore us, we don't want to be jinxed :madrun

Bender
11-29-2010, 01:33 PM
aren't stein's weekly power rankings supposed to come out on mondays? I don't see them yet.

Trill Clinton
11-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Who cares?

jeebus
11-29-2010, 01:39 PM
aren't stein's weekly power rankings supposed to come out on mondays? I don't see them yet.
I don't see them either but I'm fairly certain the spurs will be number 1 followed by the mavs and the celtics.

Cry Havoc
11-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Sigh.

I remember a time when it was Laker/Maverick/Suns fans (though admittedly more of the latter two) who were talking about how tough they are in the regular season. The Spurs meanwhile were trundling along to 55 wins, good enough for a top 3 seed just so they could be mentioned as a "well they might make the conference finals" before blowing away teams in the playoffs.

Make no mistake, I'm absolutely THRILLED at the start, if for no other reason than it's giving our guys confidence that they can beat anyone, but this season will not be made or lost on how "hyped" we are. If this team has the balls to win when it counts, it won't matter if we're heavy favorites or 10-1 dogs.

Just put the fucking ball in the hole and make the other team go home when it's over. Fuck worrying about "flying under the radar". We don't need to be underrated to win a title.

MaNu4Tres
11-29-2010, 01:57 PM
It's only November

Darkwaters
11-29-2010, 01:58 PM
It's only November

November Champions :lobt2:

yavozerb
11-29-2010, 02:02 PM
November Champions :lobt2:

Ya baby, on too December....:flag:

duncan228
11-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Hit the links for the rest.

Spurs stay on top as Heat slide out of top 10 (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/powerrankings/11/29/week5/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1)
By John Schuhmann, NBA.com

1. San Antonio (14-2)
Pace: 96.9 (8), Off: 109.1 (3), Def: 100.8 (9)
The Spurs’ 12-game winning streak came to an end on Friday, but they rebounded as well as you can, handing the Hornets their first home loss of the season on Sunday with a 65-34 second half. They have the best record in the league with Tim Duncan averaging just 29.3 minutes and 14 points per game.

2. Boston (12-4)
3. Orlando (12-4)
4. L.A. Lakers (13-4)
5. Dallas (12-4)
6. Utah (13-5)
7. New Orleans (12-4)
8. Oklahoma City (11-6)
9. Denver (10-6)
10. Chicago (9-6)

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/powerrankings/11/29/week5/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

NBA Power Rankings, where that Lakers/Heat finals seems a long ways away (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/29/nba-power-rankings-where-that-lakersheat-finals-seems-a-long-ways-away/)
Kurt Helin
ProBasketballTalk

1. Spurs (14-2). They were down 17 at half to the Hornets Sunday when Gregg Popovich went small — Richard Jefferson at the four, Duncan at the five — and the team just ran and pressured. It worked and the Spurs beat a very good team. I don’t think the Spurs or Popovich could have done this a year ago. Things are different on the Riverwalk.

2. Magic (12-4)
3. Mavericks (12-4)
4. Jazz (13-5)
5. Celtics (12-4)
6. Lakers (13-4)
7. Hornets (12-4)
8. Hawks (11-7)
9. Thunder (11-6)
10. Nuggets (10-6)

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/29/nba-power-rankings-where-that-lakersheat-finals-seems-a-long-ways-away/

LoneStarState'sPride
11-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Fuck worrying about "flying under the radar". We don't need to be underrated to win a title.

Co-fucking-signed. About damn time this team started getting SOME notoriety in the regular season, in the twilight of Timmy's career, no less.

Dex
11-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Sigh.

I remember a time when it was Laker/Maverick/Suns fans (though admittedly more of the latter two) who were talking about how tough they are in the regular season. The Spurs meanwhile were trundling along to 55 wins, good enough for a top 3 seed just so they could be mentioned as a "well they might make the conference finals" before blowing away teams in the playoffs.

Make no mistake, I'm absolutely THRILLED at the start, if for no other reason than it's giving our guys confidence that they can beat anyone, but this season will not be made or lost on how "hyped" we are. If this team has the balls to win when it counts, it won't matter if we're heavy favorites or 10-1 dogs.

Just put the fucking ball in the hole and make the other team go home when it's over. Fuck worrying about "flying under the radar". We don't need to be underrated to win a title.

Agreed. Spurs used to have the luxury of snoozing their way through 55-wins and that being enough for HCA. That time has come and gone.

Due to the aging of our Big Three and an influx of talent into the Western Conference, that can no longer be the standard M.O. No season exemplified that better than last, when a few early stumbles caused the team to be scraping for 50 wins AND a playoff berth, and they were lucky to check in at #7 (with no home court in sight unless they faced OKC in the WCF).

I am excited about the great start and the win streak and what it does for our player's confidence. Moreso, however, I am glad the Spurs are stockpiling wins now, which will only make it easier for them to finish in the top four later, and could even earn them a couple games rest at the end of the season.

Spurminator
11-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Screw ESPN, I want to know why the NBA bit-torrent community continues to ignore the Spurs. I missed two key games the last few days and I can't find them anywhere.

SA210
11-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Co-fucking-signed. About damn time this team started getting SOME notoriety in the regular season, in the twilight of Timmy's career, no less.

Agloco
11-29-2010, 02:37 PM

He's not.......at least not before this season. He's around 62% for his career but hes hovering at 80% for right now. Still very early in the season though.

I'd consider his performance against the Spurs an outlier, just like Dirks performance.

NASpurs
11-29-2010, 03:52 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings

The San Antonio Spurs couldn't avoid a loss to their old friends from Dallas at home Friday night, but the Spurs' hugely impressive wins to start and end the week -- over Orlando at home and Sunday's comeback in New Orleans to deal the Hornets their first home loss -- narrowly placed Team Duncan ahead of the resurgent Mavs.

1 (2) Spurs 14-2 Stealing this edgy but effective comment concept from friend o' the committee Jemele Hill: How many Hollywood actresses must Tony Parker split up with to get the new high-octane Spurs some media spotlight?

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2913/clipboard01jq.jpg

Spurs Brazil
11-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Hollinger Power Rankings
RAT REC MAR SOS REC (L10) MAR (L10) SOS (L10) STRK H/A DIV CONF PREV RK PREV RAT
SPURS - 1 109.430 14-2 +8.31 .514 9-1 +11.10 .552 Won 1 9/7 1st 1st 3 108.094
Last Game: @NO, W 109-95 | Next 2: @GS (Tues), @LAC (Wed)Schedule | Injuries | Transactions | Hollinger Stats

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings

NASpurs
11-29-2010, 04:02 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/video/video692028962001

Sporting News Power Ranking Video

Spurs #1

Man In Black
11-29-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm a firm believer that if the Spurs got some love from Disney owned 4-Letter,and also broadcasts the Finals, a higher Q rating would result in higher ratings and even more love.

Not that I want it, but in this day and age, it helps this team to get some. Ol' Skool Fans know that we don't like the way the league lowballs the Spurs on coverage but we're used to it. With this team though...it's time to kick the door down and say we're here!

NRHector
11-29-2010, 05:04 PM
Fuck ESPN and their rankings

jjktkk
11-29-2010, 05:04 PM
ESPN is more concerned about their pre-season annointed champion Miami's struggles, than about given credit where credit is due to the Spurs. ESPN's Chris Broussard chatted today about how the Spurs are playing well, but he is just waiting untill Ginoboli's ankles give out sometime this season. The lack of respect the national media gives the Spurs has been going on for a long time, so its basically the same old song.

FkLA
11-29-2010, 05:58 PM
ESPN is more concerned about their pre-season annointed champion Miami's struggles, than about given credit where credit is due to the Spurs. ESPN's Chris Broussard chatted today about how the Spurs are playing well, but he is just waiting untill Ginoboli's ankles give out sometime this season. The lack of respect the national media gives the Spurs has been going on for a long time, so its basically the same old song.

This is beyond retarded, and a complete misconception. Although to be fair even Spur fans feed into this whole notion that Manu is injury prone. Dude's had one major injury his entire career, how in the world that translates to being injury prone is beyond me.

As for the rankings, who cares tbh.

LakeShow
11-29-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm glad to see the spurs doing well. Winning the title is just not the same without giving the Spurs their annual beat down. :)

tmtcsc
11-29-2010, 06:26 PM
On a side note, Ryan Russilo is an ass hole. He sounds like a prick, know it-all. Fuck him and ESPN. The Spurs are in control of their own destiny and I want to hear the National fucktards backtrack when the Spurs win it all.

Lots of work to do to become better though. The weak schedule has helped our record but we've had some awesome wins too. Undefeated on the road with victories over New Orleans, Utah, Phoenix and Oklahoma City are impressive. Well, Phoenix not so much.

Hell, even the Clippers aren't that bad. Come-back win versus Minnesota was impressive too. This year's team doesn't quit (Spurs).

LOL at Miami. ESPN's little darlings are pointing fingers at their coach. Yeah, he's the reason they aren't winning.

Rummpd
11-29-2010, 06:27 PM

Throw in Jazz and Hornets and 4 West teams have shown serious mettle and the LAL will surely ramp up as the season goes along.

Man In Black
11-29-2010, 06:42 PM
I'm glad to see the spurs doing well. Winning the title is just not the same without giving the Spurs their annual beat down. :)
How can it be ANNUAL when you guys haven't ANNUALLY made the playoffs? :lmao Do I need to remind you of the LAL finishing lottery and using that pick to get oft-injured Andrew Bynum? 2 times :lmao :lmao

NRHector
11-29-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm glad to see the spurs doing well. Winning the title is just not the same without giving the Spurs their annual beat down. :)Dumbass laker fan do you know what annual means?

Barfunk
11-29-2010, 08:43 PM
but he is just waiting untill Ginoboli's ankles give out sometime this season. :wakeup

This is beyond retarded, and a complete misconception. Although to be fair even Spur fans feed into this whole notion that Manu is injury prone. Dude's had one major injury his entire career, how in the world that translates to being injury prone is beyond me.Looking at Ginobili's stats through the years at basketball-reference.com, Manu has played in a least 65 games in all of but one season which was in 08-09 where he only played 44 games. He's not that "prone".

this season will not be made or lost on how "hyped" we are. If this team has the balls to win when it counts, it won't matter if we're heavy favorites or 10-1 dogs.

Russ
11-29-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm a firm believer that if the Spurs got some love from Disney owned 4-Letter,and also broadcasts the Finals, a higher Q rating would result in higher ratings and even more love.

Not that I want it, but in this day and age, it helps this team to get some.

Would you really want to share that June Joy with a bunch of superficial bandwagoners? (Think, Laker fans.)

My theory is that the total amount of thrill for each NBA title is a mathematical constant. It's universal. Out there in the ether like the third side of a right triangle or pi.

It's just how many ways it gets split up that varies year to year.

Call me a pig, but I like my bigger slice of the pie. :)

LakeShow
11-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Wrong word. I said when the Lakers win a championship. Lets just say I'm glad you're playing good so the Lakers can stomp that ass AGAIN like they have 8 of 11 times in the playoffs. You were beat down in the playoffs leading to the last 3peat. You will be beaten down again leading to this one. I love this game! :toast

DieHardSpursFan1537
11-29-2010, 10:03 PM
ESPN is a bunch of bullshit. They never show Spurs highlights unless it's playoffs, or some big shocker game. But it's about time Spurs started getting some respect.

DieHardSpursFan1537
11-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Wrong word. I said when the Lakers win a championship. Lets just say I'm glad you're playing good so the Lakers can stomp that ass AGAIN like they have 8 of 11 times in the playoffs. You were beat down in the playoffs leading to the last 3peat. You will be beaten down again leading to this one. I love this game! :toast
Typical Laker fan. :lol

SenorSpur
11-29-2010, 10:21 PM

Not that I want it, but in this day and age, it helps this team to get some. Ol' Skool Fans know that we don't like the way the league lowballs the Spurs on coverage but we're used to it. With this team though...it's time to kick the door down and say we're here!

:tu

Though I have to admit that it's a lot of fun reading and hearing all the analysts fawn over the Spurs, once they show up as the "uninvited intruders" to all the weekly shows. Those same shows, where the latest "hot and sexy" team, usually the Heat, Celtics, & Fakers get the royal LickFest treatment. The Spurs do have a way of silently crashing the party.

DJ Mbenga
11-29-2010, 10:54 PM
Monday is usually football day for ESPN anyways. Not too long ago ESPN dubbed the Spurs the Lakers only real threat. That's league wide, not western conference wide.

lol so true. the damn game sucks yet they still do a 5 hr pregame show. the damn cards and niners. to be fair they did lead sportscenter with the heat debacle but other than that i dont remember seeing any nba talk. it probably helps that there are what 4 games tonight?

Darkwaters
11-29-2010, 11:33 PM
I feel for the Pacers fans today. There team went into LA and firmly beat the Lakers against all odds. When you watch the replays on ESPN they seem to have nothing to do with the Indy guys. Instead, 90% of the footage is of Kobe. The piece seems to say that they didn't lose to the Pacers, they lost to themselves. But if you're a Pacer fan it makes it hard to revel in one of your best victories of the year.

Fuckin' ESPN

Yorae
11-29-2010, 11:34 PM

8 of 11? Don't worry, we'll even things out when we sweep your ass in the playoffs. RIP Bynum dude.

SouthTexasRancher
11-30-2010, 12:10 AM
Little espn...ROTFFLMFAO

You can't even get the local espn in 90% of the city. You'd think them idiots would do whatever it takes ($$$$$$$$) to get their trash heard by the masses. I've got cattle that fart louder than little espn can broadcast.

Anyway, nobody gives a damn about them little pissants on little espn. :ihit

TE
11-30-2010, 12:11 AM
Screw ESPN.

Rummpd
11-30-2010, 12:02 PM
To be fair Hollinger had the Spurs winning 54 games before the year based on their point differential and good play despite injuries last year + their additions. He was not one of the many media idiots who felt the Spurs might miss the playoffs, finish as a lower seed, or worse win 50 or less games again.

Some sites:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/trainingcamp10/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=SpursForecast1011

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/preview2010/news/story?page=Predictions1011-Hollinger

he had them 3rd in the West which in the end might be about right as Pop will not play the big three major minutes to get the best record in the West most likely. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/preview2010/news/story?page=Predictions1011-Spurs

cutewizard
11-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Please keep ignoring the Spurs, there are no expectations.

Agree!

Mark in Austin
11-30-2010, 01:06 PM
:lol I love it how often Lakerfan shows up - they're obsessed with a "boring" small market team.

Wilford Brimley
11-30-2010, 01:17 PM
The Lakers are the team to beat, and will remain that way till they are dethroned. It's quite simple, really. We haven't done jack shit since 2007, so to think otherwise would be foolish. Yes, we've had injuries but so have they. Besides, isn't it better to have the best record in the WC and STILL be under the radar? We're making out like bandits right now.