PDA

View Full Version : The defense rests, again!

Jimcs50
05-25-2005, 08:02 AM
Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
May. 25, 2005 12:00 AM

The Suns will spend today and the next two off days of the Western Conference finals acting like it is impossible to fail. It's fun to think that way.

They talked a lot this season about how it was possible to win an NBA title with splendid offense and marginal defense. But even marginal defense during crunch time against San Antonio does not seem possible based on this series' ominous openers.

Two days after blowing Game 1 by giving up 43 fourth-quarter points, Phoenix lost Game 2 by looking as defenseless as lambs in the final 7 1/2 minutes of a 111-108 loss at America West Arena. advertisement

The Spurs turned every Suns stumble into a fall, making Phoenix's 55.7 percent shooting irrelevant. In suffering their first consecutive losses since early April, the Suns are up against odds as bad as their preseason line to win the title. Only three teams (the 1969 Lakers, the 1994 Rockets and 2005 Mavericks) have come back to win a best-of-seven series after losing the first two games at home.

The youth, playoff inexperience and defensive knocks on Phoenix did not keep it from posting the best record in the league or gliding through two playoff rounds. But it is a mammoth hump when it comes to beating San Antonio, something that has not happened in the teams' past 10 meetings in which Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili played.

"A lot of it is experience and being there," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "A lot of times, you have to sample the waters before you jump in."

The theme of Tuesday's game was all too familiar. Again, Phoenix has a dreadful first quarter to regret.

The Suns were down 31-21 after one quarter because of seven turnovers, four by Steve Nash that led to eight San Antonio points. It was Phoenix's seventh straight first-quarter deficit.

That start will be topped in their nightmares by the memory of losing another lead at home down the stretch. The Suns were ahead 93-88 with 7:50 to play but the Spurs never panicked. Phoenix, badly missing Joe Johnson's defense again, stopped San Antonio from scoring on only one possession for the remainder of the game.

"Their execution and our lack of it," Suns guard Jim Jackson said.

The Spurs even did it with Duncan playing the entire fourth quarter in foul trouble. He started it with four fouls and played the last 4:15 with five fouls. Duncan, 1 for 7 at halftime, scored 25 of his 30 points in the second half with terrific efficiency.

"He really played with a lot of poise," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.

Phoenix, down to a six-man rotation, still was scoring with San Antonio enough to lead 102-100 with 2:56 to play. Nash, 29 points and 15 assists despite 46 minutes and double teams, and Amaré Stoudemire, 37 points, riddled San Antonio again. Stoudemire has scored at least 35 in every game this season against San Antonio.

"They are too darn good and our defense isn't as good as those two guys are," Popovich said.

The Spurs came out of a timeout and smoothly executed a play that ended with Robert Horry's three-pointer to take the lead for good. Quentin Richardson had left him for a moment to double Duncan.

After Nash missed a tough jump shot with Tony Parker closing in, Ginobili piled it on with a spectacular drive on Shawn Marion. Ginobili put the ball around his back, twisted toward the basket and scored.

"They have been just phenomenal in the fourth quarter," Nash said.

When Stoudemire missed a layup on the ensuing possession, Ginobili made it 107-102 with 1:19 to go on a jump shot over Marion. With easy scores and San Antonio's two free-throw misses, the Suns got one last shot to tie. Nash had 4.2 seconds to get down court against Parker. He leaned around a double-teaming Bruce Bowen to put up a three that would have tied the game at the buzzer. It was dead-on but short, just like Phoenix's effort again.

"We ain't dead yet," Marion said. "We think we can come out there and get some games."

Fouled Out
05-25-2005, 08:09 AM
Two days after blowing Game 1 by giving up 43 fourth-quarter points, Phoenix lost Game 2 by looking as defenseless as lambs in the final 7 1/2 minutes of a 111-108 loss at America West Arena

As lambs :lol

Jimcs50
05-25-2005, 08:11 AM
Spurs have been here before and it's showing

Dan Bickley
The Arizona Republic
May. 25, 2005 12:00 AM

There was no police tape or body bags in the Suns locker room.

But the pulse is fading fast.

Thump . . . thump . . . thump. advertisement

"It's never easy playing against the Spurs," Amaré Stoudemire said. "We've got to go back to the drawing board and figure something out."

Across a littered room full of ankle wrappings, ice bags and shards of lost swagger, Steven Hunter knew something else: No amount of chalk is going to solve this problem.

"We're going to have to grow up fast to beat this team," Hunter said.

Two games into this series, and the bubble hasn't burst. It's been blown away. And how painfully clear the separation between these teams has appeared in the first two games.

The Spurs specialize in execution, whether it's shining in big moments or killing your championship dreams. No matter how many points have been scored, they have dictated tempo by forcing Hunter into serious minutes over the first two games, completely altering the identity of the Suns.

But more than anything, the Spurs have played like champions when championships are decided. On the other side, the Suns have shriveled in waning minutes of each game, protégés unable to match the masters.

If only for future reference, let's hope they're taking really good notes.

"We've got to do a better job of getting better shots in the fourth quarter," Stoudemire said. "Because that's what they do."

There are times when statistics are meaningless, and here's one of them. In Game 2, the Spurs' star trio of Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker combined for 80 points. Meanwhile, Stoudemire, Steve Nash and Shawn Marion totaled 77.

It would seem like a wash, except their guys were sensational down the stretch, making high-pressure hoops seem easy. Clearly, the Spurs' experience has KO'd the Suns' bravado and home-court advantage.

"I think it (experience) is very prominent," Nash said. "Our guys are pretty new to this, and I think it shows."

Alas, there was an encouraging stretch when it appeared the Suns had found a cure. Fighting through a slump with nothing but a stiff upper lip, Quentin Richardson drew a stupid foul from Duncan right before halftime, and a little play like that had a huge domino effect.

After the break, Richardson hit a couple of treys. Duncan's fourth foul sent him to the bench, and a familiar Suns' dunk-a-thon ensued. The building began to shake, and it seemed the fortunes of Richardson and his beleaguered team would change together.

But these Spurs won't go away. It's easier to lose your shadow at high noon. And then there's the Robert Horry factor.

Surely, there has never been a player in NBA history so irritating, so bejeweled and so adept at finding the ball in his hands in key moments and putting it in the basket from far, far away. He is Reggie Miller without the career, and he struck again on Tuesday.

Shortly after goading and flopping his way into a technical foul call on Stoudemire, his three-point shot gave the Spurs a lead they would never relinquish. Like he didn't do enough damage with that towel he once threw in Danny Ainge's face.

"I try to be that stealth guy that hides in the corner," said Horry, the only active player in the NBA with five championship rings.

When it was over, the Suns tried to talk a good game, but their faces spoke a different language. They must somehow win four of the next five games against the best team in the Western Conference. Three of these games will be played near the Alamo, where the Spurs rarely lose.

So more than ever, they must remember their love of fight. How Joe Johnson may return for Game 3 and give this team some kind of lift. How Duncan's fragile ankles could buckle at any moment, and if that happens, nothing is impossible.

"It's no big deal for us," Richardson said. "We're against all odds in the first place. We're not going to lose our confidence."

Squarely in the jaws of a beast, it's all the Suns have left.

Thump . . . thump . . . thump.

Reach Bickley at [email protected] or (602) 444-8253.

Fouled Out
05-25-2005, 08:11 AM
"They have been just phenomenal in the fourth quarter," Nash said

That's right brother, Nash giving props to the Spurs!!!!!!!

Jimcs50
05-25-2005, 08:14 AM
Is it not refreshing to have the Spurs' opponents not make excuses for their losses?

The Suns have 10 times the class that Seattle and Denver have.

Kudos to Nash and others who are taking the losses like men and not whining about everything from flopping to dirty play to the the refs.

Nice. :smokin

Fouled Out
05-25-2005, 08:17 AM
Is it not refreshing to have the Spurs' opponents not make excuses for their losses?

The Suns have 10 times the class that Seattle and Denver have.

Kudos to Nash and others who are taking the losses like men and not whining about everything from flopping to dirty play to the the refs.

Nice. :smokin

I agree :tu It does take class to show the other team is out playing you. I give respect to Nash. He is taking it like a man..

Extra Stout
05-25-2005, 08:38 AM
The way the Suns are handling themselves through this shows that eventually, once they get experience and improve on defense, they will be legit title contenders.

MadDog73
05-25-2005, 08:48 AM
Suns are a great team. The fact the Spurs are winning just proves the Spurs are even greater.

Look at the facts: Suns shot 56% last night, including 50% 3-pointers! Spurs shot 51% FG, and 44% 3 points. Spurs by most accounts should have lost last night. The fact they didn't.... wow.

Jimcs50
05-25-2005, 08:54 AM
Suns are a great team. The fact the Spurs are winning just proves the Spurs are even greater.

Look at the facts: Suns shot 56% last night, including 50% 3-pointers! Spurs shot 51% FG, and 44% 3 points. Spurs by most accounts should have lost last night. The fact they didn't.... wow.

Phoenix also had same number of Rebounds, twice as many blocks and shot a high percentage from the FT line.

The Spurs had no business winning this game. The Suns have to feel like SA did when they lost game 3 to Seattle.

wildbill2u
05-25-2005, 09:38 AM
If you just showed someone the stats without the final points, they'd assume that Phoenix won the game. Incredible!

leemajors
05-25-2005, 09:58 AM
is joe johnson gonna guard everyone on the spurs? they regularly gave up over 100 points with him starting. the guy just broke his orbit for christ's sake and the arizona republic makes it seem like he is gonna be a savior. i can't remember but how long did it take hakeem to come back from his orbit injury?

T Park
05-25-2005, 10:03 AM
2000-2001

Spurs Lakers

Joe Johnson = Derek Anderson.

Nuff said.

ca®lo
05-25-2005, 10:26 AM
TO PHOENIX:

defense wins championships.

FROM SPURS.

Bandit2981
05-25-2005, 10:36 AM
And then there's the Robert Horry factor...He is Reggie Miller without the career, and he struck again on Tuesday.
what the hell does that mean? how many rings does reggie have? :wtf :wtf

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-25-2005, 10:43 AM
So what if Reggie doesn't have any rings? Without Horry the Rockets and Lakers championship teams still would have made the playoffs. Horry hit big shots, but he was never the best guy on those teams. He was open for those clutch shots because he had Hakeem, Shaq, and now Tim to draw double teams. Miller on the other hand hit big shots even when the other team KNEW he was the only guy on that team that could hit those shots and focused their D on him. Miller is more clutch than Horry. That's not a knock on Horry, just a compliment for Reggie.

DDS4
05-25-2005, 10:48 AM
You read these articles, and realize the writers from Arizona are 100X better than the crap from Denver (ahem, Bernie) and Seattle.

Horry = sniper

boutons
05-25-2005, 10:56 AM
GSH,

"It was Phoenix's seventh straight first-quarter deficit."

you reading?

foodie2
05-25-2005, 12:32 PM
Phoenix also had same number of Rebounds, twice as many blocks and shot a high percentage from the FT line.

The Spurs had no business winning this game. The Suns have to feel like SA did when they lost game 3 to Seattle.

I admittedly have little real basketball knowledge, but how is this possible? Did we take more shots than they did? If all these stats are skewed in PHX's favor, where did all our points come from?

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-25-2005, 12:40 PM
The way the Suns are handling themselves through this shows that eventually, once they get experience and improve on defense, they will be legit title contenders.

They'll never be known for their defense as long as Nash as PG.

foodie - Spurs took 10 more shots than Phoenix.

MadDog73
05-25-2005, 12:50 PM
Yes, obviously we took more shots. Spurs and Suns both made exactly the same amount of field goals (44). Difference is, Spurs made 2 more 3-pointers for a net +2 pts. The 3rd point difference was from ONE free throw more than the Suns. :)

Of course, if we hadn't missed the two tech FTs or those 2 at the end.... but a win is a win. If I was PHX, I'd be really scared, because the Spurs can play even better. I'm not sure the Suns can.

TMSKILZ
05-25-2005, 12:52 PM
I'll keep saying it, until with win 4 games (we're 2 shy) this series far from over. Hopefullly we get BIG Dog back to help us out, since it looks like JJ will return for the Suns.

Just remember about Dal against Hou in the 1st Rd, they came back after being down 2-0 heading into Hou & last yr playoffs against the Fakerz & the Yankees against the Redsuxs.

MadDog73
05-25-2005, 02:07 PM
As long as Spurs don't let up at all, they will win this series.

Now, if Spurs come out with less energy on Saturday - watch out! But I don't see that happening. Home court fans have to be cheering the whole time, not just during Spurs runs!

I'd really feel more comfortable if the Spurs could find a way to at least slow down Nash and/or Amare. We've been surrendering nice leads to this team, and having to fight back in the 4th. It's nice the Spurs have been able to do it, but I'd much rather blow the Suns out early and just have to maintain our lead rather than play another close 4th quarter.

mikester
05-25-2005, 02:14 PM
That's because the Spurs continue to stick with their bench in order to keep our starters fresh for the 4th. It's going to be the same story on Sat. I think the scoring will be down a little in Game 3. You have to remember the stakes are higher in this round. It will not be a repeat of Dallas-Houston. Spurs 105-99.

boutons
05-25-2005, 02:17 PM
"We've been surrendering nice leads to this team"

All season, the Suns very often start slow, behind after 1 or 2 qtrs, but keep pluggig away, the other team's offense falters late, Suns plug a little be more, Suns win by a few.

The difference in Games 1 and 2 is that not only did Spurs not falter late, but they played stronger, while causing the Suns to falter.

So don't worry about qtrs 1 - 3

(I don't take my own advice: I was worried shitless bc the Spurs allowed -15 pt swing in the first half, and pissed at Duncan for 1-7 mostly point-blank FGs)

... I really doubt Games3 and 4 will be one in any qtr except the 4th, even just the last 1/3 of the 4th, just like games1 and 2.

CosmicCowboy
05-25-2005, 03:00 PM
I've got a lot of admiration for this Suns team and despite being down 2-0 I don't think they are gonna go down in a sweep...Those guys can flat out score for four quarters and there is no defensive answer for that Nash/Stoudamire combo...The only way to keep beating them is to keep outscoring them...and I don't remember the Spurs stringing together 16 straight quarters of high octane offense all year...this Suns team has won all year by just hanging around till the other team went flat on their shooting for a few minutes and capitalized then by taking the lead...then swapping baskets the rest of the game to hold on for the win...that being said I don't think there is any question that the Spurs ultimately win the series...but it could still go 5 or 6...

but for basketball lovers...man...this Suns/Spurs playoff matchup going into the future is exciting...both teams have their core locked up for years to come...with the Suns on a gradual rise and the Spurs on a gradual decline...but dead even for a few years... we are looking at a minimum of four or five years of unbelivably good playoff series of historic proportions...