PDA

View Full Version : 48MoH: Why DeJuan Blair might not work for the Spurs

duncan228
11-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Why DeJuan Blair might not work for the Spurs (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/)
by Timothy Varner
48 Minutes of Hell

Maybe a better title for this post is ‘Why DeJuan Blair is not playing many minutes.’ Either way, we’re far enough into the season to make note of DeJuan Blair’s decreasingly important role on this Spurs team.

In the last 4 games, DeJuan Blair has logged 10, 6, 13, and 7 minutes. It’s odd for a starter to play end-of-the-rotation minutes, and so it has me thinking, what gives?

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/why-dejuan-blair-might-not-work-for-the-spurs#more-11546)

11-29-2010, 02:10 PM
i would say trade him but the spurs only have 5 bigs. blair is a very good insurance policy in case any one of them goes down. unless the spurs can get a decent bench center + good SF back, then trading him won't make much sense. will just create one hole by plugging in another.

TDMVPDPOY
11-29-2010, 02:13 PM
i say u keep him, his on minimum contract anyway....around 1m season...

thats just as much as teh scrubs down the pecking order are earning...

Mel_13
11-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Good article.

It's just a matter of time before Dice replaces Blair in the starting line-up. Splitter will back-up Tim and Bonner will back-up Dice. Blair will become an energy big off the bench and will get extended minutes only in blowouts or when Tim or Dice sit out a game.

poop
11-29-2010, 02:19 PM
what happened to the beast that got those 20-20 games?

SenorSpur
11-29-2010, 02:25 PM
It's hard to pinpoint exactly why Blair has regressed. He couldn't shoot last year either, but he was certainly productive, in several stretches. It's almost as though the NBA has figured him out. Of course, he's still a defensive mismatch almost every night.

If I'm the Spurs, the only way I would consider trading Blair is if I could get back two commoditites that the really, really need:

1. A long, athletic SF (i.e. Paul George, Nicolas Batum)
2. A tall, athletic, shotblocking PF or C (i.e. Jordan Hill, Diondre Jordan)

Otherwise keep him around and see how he can continue to make improvements in both his shooting and his defense. It's widely known that he works hard, has a ton of desire. He just needs to become better defensively and more consistent.

ajh18
11-29-2010, 02:26 PM
This article also seems to make an argument for why a Duncan-Splitter frontcourt (which personally I would love to see) may be improbable. Pairing with Splitter would likewise make Tim a jumpshooter, and risk clogging the lanes for out perimiter guys.

ohmwrecker
11-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Unfortunately, his minimum contract won't yield much in a trade. Blair isn't playing up to his potential this year, but he is worth holding on to. I think Pop is keeping him in the starting line-up to challenge him and give him something to play for and then fixing the center rotations for the rest of the game based on how Blair is performing. Blair is the guinea pig this year. He is getting the opportunity, he just needs to take advantage of it.

benefactor
11-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Good article.

It's just a matter of time before Dice replaces Blair in the starting line-up. Splitter will back-up Tim and Bonner will back-up Dice. Blair will become an energy big off the bench and will get extended minutes only in blowouts or when Tim or Dice sit out a game.
This. Blair is not built for the role he is playing. He will be far more productive in an off the bench, situational role.

Cessation
11-29-2010, 02:48 PM
The starting pfs blair faces, for the most part, are bigger and more skilled, is it surprising he regressed this year? He isnt playing against scrub 2nd stringers anymore.

Its not like he improved his game to offset the increase in competition. He still cant shoot. Whatever happened to the midrange jumper he worked on all summer?

SCdac
11-29-2010, 03:04 PM
I feel kind of bad for Blair, he reportedly worked on his shot over the summer, but within the flow of the offense how many opportunities to show it off this season has he really gotten? Maybe 5 or 6 jump shots, if that? How much offensive responsibility is really going to come his way when playing next to Parker, Manu, RJ, and Duncan (the 4 best offensive player on the roster)? It's like Pop is trying to see what he can do against starters, but reminiscent of the way Ratliff was "tried out" last season, it almost feels insincere. Yes, Blair has played average-at-best thus far, but damn it takes time and more than 7 to 9 minutes of playing time. Look at the way Dyess played last season, for the first half he looked like his contributions would be little to none but later he came around big time. At this point it makes sense to pull DB from the starting unit (Dyess is an excellent starter, and Splitter looks solid), but to say he "might not work for the Spurs" is a bit of an overstatement, as the writer kind of suggests too. Playing Duncan next to "natural centers" (Blair, Splitter, Mohammed, etc) isn't such a bad thing. When Bonner broke his hand last season, Blair was thrown into the starting lineup and the Spurs went a decent 11-7. And it was not long ago that Blair (as a rookie, in limited minutes) was making some pretty big plays for us in the playoffs (against our biggest rival) going after loose balls and just playing with ton of energy. No player is untouchable, but SA should take advantage of his skills (albeit raw skills).
DeJuan Blair: Making his bones in the Playoffs
http://www.48minutesofhell.com/dejuan-blair-game-4-against-dallas

Mr. Body
11-29-2010, 03:12 PM
He's a bench player. Bring him off the pine and he'll settle down and feast on second units.

Trill Clinton
11-29-2010, 03:21 PM
He's a bench player. Bring him off the pine and he'll settle down and feast on second units.

I agree.

jestersmash
11-29-2010, 03:22 PM
Wow, do people really think George Hill is a "mediocre" ball-handler?

He's certainly a sub-par point guard. Even as a shooting guard, his ability to create for others is relatively poor.

I don't know about mediocre ball-handler, though.

SenorSpur
11-29-2010, 03:40 PM

He's certainly a sub-par point guard. Even as a shooting guard, his ability to create for others is relatively poor.

Because he is. I think it probably boils down to the fact that you don't often see Hill "break anyone's ankles" with nifty off the dribble moves. He relies moreso on his quickness to get the rim.

Like others, I was somewhat seduced by his ability to fill-in admirably for TP during his rookie year, but it's quite evident that Hill is a shooting guard -only. He's not shown an ability to adequately run the offense nor does he do anything to create offense for anyone other than himself.

jjktkk
11-29-2010, 04:13 PM

You kinda answered your own question? mediocre ball-handler= sub-par point guard.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-29-2010, 04:16 PM
Given what he showed last year Blair at least deserved a proper audition for the starting spot. Lord knows Pop would get crucified here if it turned out the Spurs had the next Paul Milsap only get 20 minutes a night. Given the record it almost seems that there's little harm in starting him if Pop's going to have such a quick hook, but it's clear that this team could probably be even better if Blair is getting used properly.

It seems this year that Pop is trying to pigeon hole players into precise roles less and less, which is usually good, but a mistake in the case of Blair.

elec99
11-29-2010, 04:33 PM
He always did his best off the bench, against 2nd stringers, that's his role. A trade would only be conceivable if he was first signed to a bigger contract, otherwise not much in return for him.

roycrikside
11-29-2010, 05:05 PM
The problem the Spurs have, like most teams, is that their best five-man offensive and defensive lineups are not one and the same. There are three common denominators in Manu, Tim and RJ. But on defense you'd want Splitter (or Dice) and Hill, and on offense you'd want Tony and Rocket, so it's a constant battle for Pop, how to balance the strengths and weaknesses of the lineups, because there is no perfect quintet.

I don't buy the argument that having Blair and Tim on the floor together hurts the offense or congests it for the guards though. It's simple, just have one of them set a high screen for Tony or Manu, and then they'll have a lane to the basket. When the big steps up to contest, then Manu and Tony can slide it over to the other big for a layup/dunk.

It's on defense where Blair kills them.

Roger Freemason Jr.
11-29-2010, 05:15 PM

George Hill is not mediocre, he may have been in a slump at the start of the season, but he's getting back. Just last season, we had people saying to trade Parker because Hill was doing so good, and Parker was the sub-par one. But now that Parker is shining again, Hill is coming off the bench, and he contributes very well, and provides that spark of energy. He's a great player, The Spurs pulled off another steal with GH.

Zero_Twilight
11-29-2010, 05:39 PM
I didn't read the article but if the gist of it is to get rid of Blair than I'd say it is dead wrong. Maybe even plain fucking stupid. How many years does Dice intend to play?

At the beginning of the season Blair looked like he was second guessing himself. The idea of him being smaller than other bigs has put an idea into his head that he ALWAYS has to be extra crafty in order to beat others in the paint when actually it's the other way around. It's his effort that won him battles. More Barkley, less Hakeem.

Blair needs to be that "bull" in the paint. Using his power in the paint to get the offensive rebound, screening and rolling, and boxing out . He needs to keep his offense simple and efficient like he was last year. This year, I feel he's doing or thinking too much and it's causing alot of missed easy shots. Which leads to mental lapses and a quick trip to the bench.

Keep it simple DB.

Cessation
11-29-2010, 05:58 PM
blair apologists coming out in force, lol

pad300
11-29-2010, 06:25 PM
I think he worked on the wrong thing this summer. Rather than try and develop a jumpshot, he should have taken my suggestion. Spend his time watching how Chuck Hayes plays defense...

LeCrab
11-29-2010, 07:04 PM
I like Blair with the second unit, he has alot of work to do to be a good NBA player but hes what 21? That said I would love to see a trade say to Orlando for Ryan Anderson who the spurs covet and orlando seems to have some many players that play that spot hes getting no burn.

Anderson is taller, a good defender and rebounder and can stroke the 3. Spurs wanted him a couple years ago in the draft.

Portland wants some frontcourt bulk, if we could get a sf from them that may work.
would be a huge mistake to get rid of blair Ryan Anderson is below average player

jjktkk
11-29-2010, 07:05 PM
I like Blair with the second unit, he has alot of work to do to be a good NBA player but hes what 21? That said I would love to see a trade say to Orlando for Ryan Anderson who the spurs covet and orlando seems to have some many players that play that spot hes getting no burn.

Anderson is taller, a good defender and rebounder and can stroke the 3. Spurs wanted him a couple years ago in the draft.

Portland wants some frontcourt bulk, if we could get a sf from them that may work.

Anderson is Bonner, but more athletic, better defender, who fits better in the the Spurs offense than Blair. I'd definitley consider trading Blair for Anderson.

tuncaboylu
11-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Why are you talking about trading Blair, are you kidding?
He's one of the most underapid players of the league, still 21 years old and showed some potential last year when he was rookie. He will play for 1 million next 3 years.
Only 16 games played this season and i's too early to talk trades. I remember the people are criticizing George Hill a couple weeks ago and now he's playing better. Wait for Blair, he will also play better.

lil'mo
11-29-2010, 07:09 PM
I didn't read the article but if the gist of it is to get rid of Blair than I'd say it is dead wrong. Maybe even plain fucking stupid. How many years does Dice intend to play?

At the beginning of the season Blair looked like he was second guessing himself. The idea of him being smaller than other bigs has put an idea into his head that he ALWAYS has to be extra crafty in order to beat others in the paint when actually it's the other way around. It's his effort that won him battles. More Barkley, less Hakeem.

Blair needs to be that "bull" in the paint. Using his power in the paint to get the offensive rebound, screening and rolling, and boxing out . He needs to keep his offense simple and efficient like he was last year. This year, I feel he's doing or thinking too much and it's causing alot of missed easy shots. Which leads to mental lapses and a quick trip to the bench.

Keep it simple DB.

How about we don't give our half assed opinions if we don't even bother to read the article. Dumb lazy fuck.

yavozerb
11-29-2010, 07:10 PM
One trade I wish the spurs would explore (i mentioned this also in the think tank) is swap with the trailblazers. Blair for Batum would benefit both teams since portland is in dire need need of a big and Batum has recently been benched in favor of mathews. There is only about 300k difference in there contracts as well. Just a thought.

The Truth #6
11-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Blair is slumping right now. He's lost his identity and focus. But he can improve. Dice will be gone next year. We have depth in the post. No way I trade him during this season. In the off season would be the only time to pursue it. Brining in Randolph now (assuming that trade could even happen), could easily upset our chemistry.

Too soon to give up. He's starting but he's getting minutes of a 5th big. I don't see a big problem right now.

jjktkk
11-29-2010, 07:26 PM
would be a huge mistake to get rid of blair Ryan Anderson is below average player

Hope he can play out of his slump, but right now, Blair is playing as a below average player.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-29-2010, 07:29 PM
I am disappointed in his play thus far. If Malik fuckin Rose played solid minutes for us there is no reason Blair can not. He still gets mucho time to figure it out. Still can't help but be disappointed this season.

wildbill2u
This article also seems to make an argument for why a Duncan-Splitter frontcourt (which personally I would love to see) may be improbable. Pairing with Splitter would likewise make Tim a jumpshooter, and risk clogging the lanes for out perimiter guys.

I tend to disagree with your analysis of Tim and Splitterl. Splitter played out on the perimeter for most of his career. He could easily play around the free throw rightside elbow and give a headache to any doubleteams that might drop down onto Tim on the low left post.

jjktkk
One trade I wish the spurs would explore (i mentioned this also in the think tank) is swap with the trailblazers. Blair for Batum would benefit both teams since portland is in dire need need of a big and Batum has recently been benched in favor of mathews. There is only about 300k difference in there contracts as well. Just a thought.

Like that trade, but you'd probably have slip something in the Blazer's GM's coffee.

yavozerb
11-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Blair is slumping right now. He's lost his identity and focus. But he can improve. Dice will be gone next year. We have depth in the post. No way I trade him during this season. In the off season would be the only time to pursue it. Brining in Randolph now (assuming that trade could even happen), could easily upset our chemistry.

Too soon to give up. He's starting but he's getting minutes of a 5th big. I don't see a big problem right now.

Ya, I agree and with blairs salary he really is alot bang for the buck.

DieHardSpursFan1537
11-29-2010, 07:32 PM
Bring Blair in as a bench player. There's no reason why he should be a starter.

mystargtr34
11-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Its pretty simple IMO... his game hasnt changed or regressed (maybe his confidence a little) the reason for his struggles is the fact that he is going head to head with starting caliber PF's and C's which is a mismatch. As good as Blair was last season... he is not a starting caliber NBA player and likely never will be. When he goes against the weaker big men in opposition second units he isnt playing with such a big handicap (short and unathletic) and he can take advantage of his matchup.. rather than the other way around.

Moving him back to the bench where his game belongs should fix most of his problems.

BackHome
11-29-2010, 08:24 PM

I disagree in saying we have depth at the post I am really worried on what is going to happen next year. If Dice retires we have no one who can play defense and hit the mid range shot. Simply put Bonner and Blair can not come in and guard another teams bigs. So with Timmy getting old quick I think you have to move either Bonner or Blair this off season and get a reall sized center or powerforward.

elbamba
11-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Blair has the skill and talent to be a starter in this league. His problem is that he is not a center and that is the role he is playing right now. Bring him off the bench for 15 minutes and you will see beast like numbers again from him.

Blair is still rebounding very well when he gets time on the floor. As a bench player at the PF spot, he would be back in his natural role. THis is too obvious to see so Pop will make the switch in about two months.

Mark in Austin
11-29-2010, 08:52 PM
he's a bench player. Bring him off the pine and he'll settle down and feast on second units.

+1

Jess
11-29-2010, 08:58 PM

I think George's physique makes it hard for him. I can't recall many long, gangly guys that are good ball handlers. Tony, Steve Nash, Chris Paul all do excellent jobs of dribbling in traffic because they keep a compact dribble, which I don't think is easy for George.

Budkin
11-29-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm still convinced that Blair is going to become a solid contributor to this team. I really would prefer that we not trade him.

SenorSpur
11-29-2010, 10:48 PM

Is that true? Did Batum really get benched?

Pick up the phone and give them a call. That would be a wonderful get. I love Blair, but I love Batum more and besides he's a much better fit for what the Spurs need. I'd gladly ante up Blair for him.

Even if it takes spiking the Blazer GM's coffee, make it happen. :lol

Sofaking
11-29-2010, 10:53 PM
ahhhhh lol well I've never seen this thread before. Spurs fans want Rasho...I mean Splitter to start. Wish Pop would just hurry up and do it so I don't have to see this thread every cpl games. Alot of ppl are thinking eventually Splitter is gonna replace Duncan when he retires but Splitter aint nothing more than a 12pts, 5rbs kinda of player in this league. Splitter gets praised for good thing he does on the court(which is fine) but I've been in the gameblogs and no one brings up his mistakes. Blair makes on mistake and it trade him, he's dumb etc :lol:lol funny indeed

Ditty
11-29-2010, 11:02 PM
i would do a blair and batum swap in a heart beat

doubt the blazers would do it though

I think the spurs are trying to make blair into a dennis rodman kind of role player that's why he is in the starting lineup,with his rebounding. The only thing is that the teams game plan is to go after blair when he's playing defense cuz his defense is so bad. He will keep starting I think until they start losing, but I do want blair to be successfull, and hope his minutes can get up there when they face the more weaker oppenents and medicore bench players.

TD 21
11-29-2010, 11:07 PM
Why are you talking about trading Blair, are you kidding?
He's one of the most underapid players of the league, still 21 years old and showed some potential last year when he was rookie. He will play for 1 million next 3 years.
Only 16 games played this season and i's too early to talk trades. I remember the people are criticizing George Hill a couple weeks ago and now he's playing better. Wait for Blair, he will also play better.

The difference is, whether he's playing well or struggling at any given time, Hill is a good fit for this team. Blair is not. Blair is a talent, though and one Spurs can use him to get through the regular without wearing out Duncan and McDyess. Which is why he's still playing at all. Barring injury to one of the other four bigs, a miraculous transformation in his game, or a screw being loose in Pop's head, he won't be in the playoff rotation.

Next season will be crucial for Blair because if the Spurs have an inkling that Duncan is going to keep playing past his contract (I think he will), then either Blair successfully transitions to becoming a PF next season (whenever that may be), or he's probably not going to last much longer on this team.

If Duncan keeps playing, then between Duncan and Splitter, they'll be set at C. Bonner is entrenched as the backup PF, which leaves starting PF. If Blair can't become that guy (technically, he's that now, but in reality he's a placeholder for McDyess), then he'll have no role on this team.

SenorSpur
11-29-2010, 11:28 PM

I also strongly disagree with the assertion that the Spurs have "depth in the post." It's obvious that Duncan is in decline on both ends of the court. That's an undeniable fact. The offensive load he used to carry is being picked up admirably by Manu, TP, RJ and a host of others. Where the problem lies is on the defensive end.

Now Splitter should be a wonderful complement. He's tall, long and moves his feet well. While he's not a classic shotblocker or ferocious rebounder, he is tough and smart. Plays tremendous pick and roll defense. However, he's also not getting the minutes yet.

Bonner has size, outside shooting touch, but no athleticism or defensive presence. Blair has heart, desire and a penchant for rebounding, but lacks length and has no defensive presence or skill. That leaves Dice as the only other post player capable of providing some measure of post defense and rebounding. He doesn't block shots and is not a commanding presence in the post.

There simply is no one else on the roster capable of single-handedly providing Duncan's rebounding and shotblocking numbers, as well as the superior brand of post defense that made the Spurs perennial defensive stalwarts in this league. That, along with Bowen's departure on the perimeter, are the two biggest reasons that the Spurs team defense has been in decline. The collection of bigs, as a whole, are not capable of mitigating Duncan's defensive decline.

So again, I disagree with the notion the Spurs are fine in the post. They could really use a young, long, rebounding, shotblocking presence in the paint. Oh wait, they had one, but he was not resigned. There I go again. :bang

ducks
11-29-2010, 11:40 PM
what happened to the beast that got those 20-20 games?

he lost to much weight

Pauleta14
11-30-2010, 01:30 AM

This.

Pauleta14
11-30-2010, 01:32 AM

Stop dreaming...

TE
11-30-2010, 01:34 AM
Dejuan has lost some confidence... Should have started off the bench and worked his way up.

yavozerb
11-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Stop dreaming...

Is that true? Did Batum really get benched?

Pick up the phone and give them a call. That would be a wonderful get. I love Blair, but I love Batum more and besides he's a much better fit for what the Spurs need. I'd gladly ante up Blair for him.

Even if it takes spiking the Blazer GM's coffee, make it happen. :lol

i would do a blair and batum swap in a heart beat

doubt the blazers would do it though

I think the spurs are trying to make blair into a dennis rodman kind of role player that's why he is in the starting lineup,with his rebounding. The only thing is that the teams game plan is to go after blair when he's playing defense cuz his defense is so bad. He will keep starting I think until they start losing, but I do want blair to be successfull, and hope his minutes can get up there when they face the more weaker oppenents and medicore bench players.

Take a look at this boxscore: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/live/[email protected] he only played 13 minutes as well.

Batum's value is about as low as it ever has been. Just a thought

tuncaboylu
12-01-2010, 01:34 AM
Ana a solid game by Blair, 16 pts and 10 rebs, against a front-court Lee-Biedrins. Moreover Duncan is also played well and completed triple double.

It's very early to say that Blair is not a good fit. He will learn and he will be.

Cessation
12-01-2010, 01:36 AM
Blair certainly proving the critics wrong, dominating the defensive jaugernat that is lee, lol

ShoogarBear
12-01-2010, 01:49 AM
Tim Duncan’s natural position is center. Everyone on earth knows this, with the possible exception of Tim Duncan.

:lol

itzsoweezee
12-01-2010, 01:51 AM
The author of this article also thinks that Bonner should be starting. Nuff said.

Whisky Dog
12-01-2010, 02:20 AM
I'd say for a second round pick in his 2nd season Blair is doing well. There were reasons he wasn't a top 15 pick or even a 1st round pick and those are the very reasons he struggles at times. He still has upside IMO, and for a second rounder is definitely value.

Supergirl
12-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Blair would be better used of the bench to sub in for Duncan. Dice should start at C. Splitter and Blair should come off the bench. But eventually, Duncan will retire, and Blair will be a decent PF in his stead, as long as he's paired with a good C (like Splitter).

portnoy1
12-01-2010, 01:32 PM
IMHO, Spurs should have a solid 8man rotation that plays at least 10-15minutes regardless. And then the other guys can play according to matchups and team needs.

F - Duncan
F - RJ
C - Dice
G - Parker
G - Manu
Splitter/Anderson/Hill are the subs that play 10-15mins every night regardless.
Blair - can play Center when Pop goes small, which is quite often. He can be the double double guy we love and not lose to many minutes.
Neal/Bonner - can both fill the need of instant scoring whether its need from a guard(Neal) or Big(Bonner). That way Neal's lack of size and Bonner's lack of testicles can do damage for a quick run.

admiralsnackbar
12-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Ana a solid game by Blair, 16 pts and 10 rebs, against a front-court Lee-Biedrins. Moreover Duncan is also played well and completed triple double.

It's very early to say that Blair is not a good fit. He will learn and he will be.

Agreed. While his points are well-reasoned and perfectly valid, the OP seems convinced only of what Blair can do at the 5. History bears his analysis out, but clearly Pop thinks Blair is capable of developing into more of a rebounding 4 with an inside/outside game, and to be fair, there is only room on him in this roster if he can make strides in that direction. While it may be that Blair is almost redundant at the 5 in anything but smallball sets, but he's still a remarkably talented kid with a lot of motor who hasn't hit his ceiling.

We can't really trade Blair for somebody of comparable talent at his price point, and if we can continue to win while he develops his game, I think keeping him is an easy choice -- especially since we may not have a dominant rebounding presence in Duncan much longer.

ceperez
12-01-2010, 02:23 PM
My prediction is that Blair will play well against teams with short front lines, however with teams with 7 footers he will struggle.

I don't expect him to do well against Dallas, LA, Boston and Orlando.

I think he'll match up well against the Heat, Utah, NO and OKC.

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-01-2010, 03:21 PM
He always does great against OKC. Or at least he did last year. I don't know how good he did in the 13 point Spurs win at OKC.

admiralsnackbar
12-01-2010, 04:30 PM
My prediction is that Blair will play well against teams with short front lines, however with teams with 7 footers he will struggle.

I don't expect him to do well against Dallas, LA, Boston and Orlando.

I think he'll match up well against the Heat, Utah, NO and OKC.

I think it may end up having more to do with the skill (and perhaps weight) of the opposing front line than just height alone. Thabeet comes to mind as a giant who was squarely outplayed by Blair.

Blair also played pretty well against last year's Celtics, who I think were probably more intimidating defensively in the paint with Rasheed than they are with Shaq -- not to mention that Pop will almost certainly expose Shaq's D by using Blair to receive pack-door passes from Tim the way he used to with Malik Rose.

All to say that I still have no feel for what types of situations/players he capitalizes on, really. So many of his shortcomings seem to be internal at this stage in his game that I have trouble differentiating between his mistakes and his opponents' dominance of him. So I guess for myself, I'm just gonna let the sample size grow over the course of the season before calling how and against whom he will beat or be beaten by.

jjktkk
12-01-2010, 04:43 PM
I'd say for a second round pick in his 2nd season Blair is doing well. There were reasons he wasn't a top 15 pick or even a 1st round pick and those are the very reasons he struggles at times. He still has upside IMO, and for a second rounder is definitely value.

Blair's knees were the biggest reason he dropped in the draft.

Cessation
12-01-2010, 07:02 PM
blair played well against 3 opponents this year

utah: 11pts 8rbs
philadelphia: 13pts 12rbs
golden state: 16pts 10rbs

I guess, 3 games, is better than nothing.