PDA

View Full Version : Visiting San Antonio

neboat
11-29-2010, 07:27 PM
I am thinking about visiting San Antonio and was wondering other than going to a Spurs game, are there other fun things to do? How's the Alamo, Riverwalk, and various missions? Other places?

DeadlyDynasty
11-29-2010, 07:45 PM
You're better off driving straight through, unless you gotta drop a deuce.

oh crap
11-29-2010, 07:51 PM
come to austin instead

neboat
11-29-2010, 07:54 PM
You're better off driving straight through, unless you gotta drop a deuce.

haha...i am hoping for some serious answers :)
I live in the Bay Area and can only take a weekend trip, so SA seems like a good possibility...but since I will be going with a friend, i want to make sure there are other fun things to do other than going to a spurs game.

DeadlyDynasty
11-29-2010, 08:00 PM
What kind of "friend?" That has a lot to do with where you should go on vacay. If you're hellbent on going to a Spurs game then yeah, check it out. There's a couple campy things to do and the weather is nice. If the Spurs aren't playing then check out Austin or Dallas. If weather is not an issue go to Chicago:toast

LnGrrrR
11-29-2010, 08:21 PM
The Riverwalk is nice (Mad Dog's is an ok bar, Dick's is a pretty decent if expensive place to eat, the Alamo is there and you have the big mall); that's the main one.

If you're into theme parks, Six Flags was pretty decent last time I went there (that was a few years ago though), and they have a Seaworld too.

As others have said, if you have time, drive up to Austin. It's a fun town, good music, and lots to do there.

CubanSucks
11-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Try to find a place called Crazy Sam's on the Riverwalk. It's hard to find but it's such a cool location. It's kinda "speakeasy-ish"

LnGrrrR
11-29-2010, 09:29 PM
I was partial to Sam's Burger Joint back when they had Puro Slam running there... made for a fun Tuesday night. I think they changed venues though.

Mark in Austin
11-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Grab a burger at Chris Madrid's (http://www.chrismadrids.com/history) before the game.

Get lunch or dinner at Tomatillos (http://www.tomatillos.com/) on Broadway for some authentic TexMex (best quesadillas I've ever had, and the more traditional stuff is awesome too) and then check out the McNay Art Museum (http://www.mcnayart.org/) - an oasis in the middle of the city.

If you come in December the trees lining the River Walk are lit up with Christmas Lights - worth a stroll; let your nose guide you to whatever restaurant smells good - if you want BBQ on the river, The County Line (http://www.countyline.com/index-2.html) is a little touristy but pretty good.

Dr. Gonzo
11-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Chris Madrid's sucks dick.

Mark in Austin
11-30-2010, 01:00 PM

I haven't been there in a couple years but I liked it a lot the last time I was there. Maybe it's changed.

What do you recommend burger-wise?

koriwhat
11-30-2010, 01:01 PM

:tu

NASpurs
11-30-2010, 01:05 PM
It's funny because you ask for things to do and people suggest places to eat around here.

Spurs and restaurants. That's San Antonio in a nutshell.

Wilford Brimley
11-30-2010, 01:19 PM
It's funny because you ask for things to do and people suggest places to eat around here.

We aren't the fattest city for no reason :lol

koriwhat
11-30-2010, 01:23 PM
there's nothing in sa worth doing except attending spurs games... bars here suck, food isn't all that great, and outside of all that you got malls for shopping. that's about it.

head north on 35 about an hour and there's plenty more out there for you to get into.

neboat
11-30-2010, 02:26 PM

haha, thanks for the honest answers. :toast
As much as I would love to watch a Spurs game in SA, it doesn't look like there is enough to do here to justify a SA only trip. Maybe when I have time I'll do a broader Texas vacation.