PDA

View Full Version : P&R Defense

Useruser666
05-25-2005, 08:24 AM
Duncan, we all love you but please put your hands up when you switch on Nash! And all bigmen need to step out atleast 3 feet more.

boutons
05-25-2005, 08:42 AM
It didn't happen vs SEA and vs PHX, I've kind of given up that it's going to happen.

It hasn't hurt the W's ..... so far.

Useruser666
05-25-2005, 08:43 AM
All those Nash jumpers came off of P&Rs. Duncan or whoever could have stepped out more. I noticed several times they didn't, even when there wasn't an offensive player to cover behind them.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-25-2005, 08:46 AM
Well I can't blame Tim for playing a little tentative on when he had to switch onto Nash. They were calling him pretty closely last night, and he spent most of the second half with four fouls and the last five minutes with five. Not to sound defeatist, but I really don't know if there's any real way to stop Nash on offense. He's just so good.

nkdlunch
05-25-2005, 09:05 AM
Nash is good enough to make the shot regardless if Duncan has his hands up, and Duncan was in fould trouble so he couldn't have done more anyway.

spurster
05-25-2005, 09:59 AM
I think what the Spurs are trying to do is to make Nash indecisive and make bad decisions. If the defender steps right up to Nash, he'll pass the ball to an open Amare. If the defender backs off too much, Nash gets a really wipe open shot. Instead, the Spurs bigmen seem to be close enough to Nash to put a hand between his eyes and the hoop, but no closer. This leaves Nash a bit open, but not an easy shot or easy pass, though Nash makes it look easy.

emveepee
05-25-2005, 10:06 AM
TD was just looking after his fouls.

Extra Stout
05-25-2005, 10:26 AM
You can't shut down Nash on the pick and roll for the entire game. He's too good.

If the Spurs show him their best defense early on, he'll have adjusted by the fourth quarter, and then there would be no bullets left in the chamber.

What they're doing -- managing the game for three quarters and then changing their look to pressure Nash in the fourth -- is working. Don't change it.

TNT21
05-25-2005, 10:54 AM
I was one of the first to say this, but in last night's game I thought they did a pretty decent job of getting their hands up on the P&R.

DDS4
05-25-2005, 10:56 AM
I thought the Spurs did a good job of closing the passing lanes on Nash. There's no way to completely stop Nash.

You can only hope to make him shoot and not get the others involved.

Useruser666
05-25-2005, 11:02 AM
My point was based on this observation. Duncan did not have his hands up on several switches to Nash. He should have his hands up. It's just common sense. If he would bother one of Nash's jumpers that's two points. In a 3 point win that is big, when we are talking about 3-4 P&Rs. Also what I noticed was, that when Duncan didn't step out a little more, there wasn't a offensive player behind him. He should have known that or just relied on someone picking up his man. He was hanging back on several plays for nothing. That's the same thing with Horry and Nazr on several plays too.