PDA

View Full Version : The Heat beating the Wall-less Wiz at home gets a front page story on ESPN

Budkin
11-30-2010, 02:54 AM
Seriously, this called for a front page story? Apparently the Heat have turned the season around by beating the shitty Wizards without John Wall in their own arena. This is cause for celebration at ESPN. I mean come on... why waste the time even writing this article? Shouldn't they wait until they beat some good teams on the road? I guess they are just desperate to get their "greatest team of all time" narrative back on track.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-101130/daily-dime

1. Heat Take One Step Toward A Better Path
By Michael Wallace
ESPN.com
MIAMI -- With about six minutes left in the first quarter of Monday night's game, Miami Heat forward LeBron James caught a pass on the wing, lined up for what would have been an ill-advised 3-point shot, considered his options and then improvised.

James made a head fake to get past his defender, took two dribbles toward the basket and pulled up for a 15-foot jumper that swished through the net. As he jogged back down on defense, James looked over to the Heat's bench. He spotted coach Erik Spoelstra applauding.

Staying within the offense and taking a shot in rhythm was the sort of decision from James that came with no backlash, but rather pats on the back during the next timeout. James got off to his best start of the season on Monday, scoring 20 of his game-high 30 points in the first half to lead the Heat past the Washington Wizards 105-94 at AmericanAirlines Arena.

If James and Spoelstra were fueled by the controversy between them and the adversity the Heat have faced the past few days, they all could use a few more doses of that kind of drama as they try to hit a stride and emerge from the early-season struggles. After clearing the air during a meeting with Spoelstra earlier Monday, James responded with the type of balanced performance the Heat expected.

After working to settle disputes over James' role on offense and tinkering with a few sets and his playing rotation, Spoelstra saw his team score its most points in seven games and take a much-needed step toward normalcy after a chaotic stretch in which Miami (10-8) had lost four of its previous five games.

It all started with open and honest communication -- something Spoelstra insists he'll seek more of with James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh as the Heat try to turn this painful start into a prosperous run.

"I want [James'] input. I want Dwyane's input. I want Chris' input," Spoesltra said of an improved dialog with his star players to help them develop a comfort level within the offense. "I hope we're moving in the right direction. It's a step in the right direction. Now, we move on."

Before the game, Spoelstra acknowledged Wade and James haven't found a comfort level with the offense, which has been the root of the players' frustration. Spoelstra also admitted that he's been struggling in his search for answers, but would welcome their suggestions and incorporate them into the game plan. Some of the tweaks paid off against the Wizards, who weren't much more than a needed sparring partner to help the Heat through a painful process.

There were sets that featured Wade and James on opposite sides of the floor to give them more space with which to work. Spoelstra also played point guards Carlos Arroyo and Mario Chalmers more to ensure that Wade and James would spend less time handling the ball and more time filling the wings.

James made 10 of 18 shots from the field, 9 of 11 free throws and had six rebounds, five assists in what would have been one of his most efficient games with the Heat had it not been for seven turnovers. Wade missed six of his first seven shots, but shook off the rusty start and finished with 26 points, eight rebounds, six assists and four steals.

There were moments when Wade and James worked in tandem. But there were other times when separating Wade and James proved to be a productive solution.

"I think I'm starting to figure things out," James said. "We have the scorers, but at the same time, we have to figure out how we can complement each other on the court. Right now, it's times when we both pay attention too much when we're on the court together. But as soon as one of us comes out, we say, 'OK, it's time to be aggressive.' We've got to find a balance when we're both on the court. Who's going to be aggressive, and if we're both going to be aggressive, how do we keep each other in the flow of the game? Tonight was a good step for that. We both felt in a good rhythm."

That's been rare for the Heat. And it's been tough for Wade, James and Bosh to play with any sense of cohesiveness on a consistent basis. But all three were able to find their offensive rhythm by attacking the basket and getting to the free throw line, where Wade, James and Bosh were a combined 29 of 35.

That was the plan from the moment Wade and James met before Monday's game.

"As I told LeBron before the game, I was up late last night, watching old games, YouTube and all that," Wade said. "I was watching LeBron, and I was like, 'That's the LeBron I fell in love with and I know as a basketball player.' And I haven't seen that [in Miami]. I just want him to be that, to be him, to have fun with the game. Just be you and enjoy it. I think tonight was the second time this year we both felt comfortable with each other taking over and not necessarily worrying when we're going to get a shot and where we're going to get the ball."

But at least the lines of communication appear to be more open than they've ever been in Miami.

"That's the most important thing -- communication between professionals," Bosh said. "We're all professionals here. There are no hard feelings if something's not working. We can come to each other and say, 'Yo, it's not working. Let's get better. Let's do this."

Bosh said the key to being open to constructive criticism is being open-minded.

"Small changes, big changes, it really doesn't matter," Bosh said. "We all made big changes to come here together. So what's a little more moving around [on the court] going to do? It's minute."

That process remains a work in progress for the Heat.

"Do I have all the answers with that? No," Spoelstra said. "But I'm not going to back off on demands for effort, our defensive disposition and energy. That's something we have to bring every single night, every single possession. My job right now on the offensive end is to find a comfort level for all of the guys. We have not found that yet. I don't have all the answers for that right now. I'm exploring them."

TE
11-30-2010, 03:01 AM
Key words...ESPN and Heat

nough said

KapitanTutan
11-30-2010, 03:01 AM
i can understand your envy, spurs fan.

Roddy Beaubois
11-30-2010, 03:03 AM
lol 7 turnovers

BUMP
11-30-2010, 03:03 AM
i can understand your envy, spurs fan.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Cause SpurFans are soooo jealous of a team with a 10-8 record

IronMexican
11-30-2010, 03:04 AM
Why do people care so much about what ESPN does?

BRHornet45
11-30-2010, 03:07 AM
David Stern projects $400 million in losses for the NBA

DALLAS -- David Stern said Saturday the NBA is projecting league-wide losses of about $400 million this season and has lost hundreds of millions in each previous year of the current collective bargaining agreement.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4912384

son the NBA needs the money. They have always controlled games (mainly in the playoffs) to ensure that teams who tend to draw high ratings are boosted into the national spotlight. what we are seeing now with the Miami Heat is without a doubt the most blatant favoritism towards one team in all of sports history. It is a desperate move by the NBA to try and generate some money. The Heat are being shoved down everyone's throats simply for financial reasons and financial reasons only.

TE
11-30-2010, 03:11 AM
David Stern projects $400 million in losses for the NBA

DALLAS -- David Stern said Saturday the NBA is projecting league-wide losses of about $400 million this season and has lost hundreds of millions in each previous year of the current collective bargaining agreement.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4912384

son the NBA needs the money. They have always controlled games (mainly in the playoffs) to ensure that teams who tend to draw high ratings are boosted into the national spotlight. what we are seeing now with the Miami Heat is without a doubt the most blatant favoritism towards one team in all of sports history. It is a desperate move by the NBA to try and generate some money. The Heat are being shoved down everyone's throats simply for financial reasons and financial reasons only.

Imagine what stern will do later on down the season...

Making the order to officials at any Heat game to favor them just for this reason.

Oh the massacre.

mathbzh
11-30-2010, 03:37 AM
:lmao
Pathetic

Koolaid_Man
11-30-2010, 06:28 AM
Every "great" Corporation that skirts US Anti-Trust Law, such as AT&T, Microsoft (especially in the E.U) and now ESPN, will have their day. It's time for ESPN to experience their fall from grace. Those are some dirty bastards. They discriminate and sexually harass their staff, they demonize black athletes that are too black, and they've clearly hitched their wagon to Lebron's spiraling train. I just find it Ironic that their fall will start at the hands of Lebron. Just sit back and enjoy this...

Giuseppe
11-30-2010, 06:40 AM
Kool Aid Man

ElNono
11-30-2010, 08:41 AM
Stern is so full of shit... He raised the salary/lux tax cap this season, which is based off league-wide earnings, and now he's claiming they're hemorrhaging money...

:jack

Chomag
11-30-2010, 10:37 AM
LOL @ Wizards 5 -11. Heat are back baby! :rolleyes

Trill Clinton
11-30-2010, 10:48 AM

TDMVPDPOY
11-30-2010, 10:48 AM
with espn, does anyone buy there written articles anyway? or just subscribe to there sports channels only?

Cry Havoc
11-30-2010, 11:23 AM
LeBron did a lot of good for my fantasy team last night. I am pleased.

BlackSwordsMan
11-30-2010, 01:01 PM
So if the spurs and someone other than the heat make it to the finals the nba goes bankrupt?

Cane
11-30-2010, 01:18 PM
So if the spurs and someone other than the heat make it to the finals the nba goes bankrupt?

To stop the bleeding they'd probably send Dwight Howard to the Celtics and CP3 to the Lakers. Even with LeBron in the Finals back in '07 the ratings were shitty as hell, afterwards Boston traded for its own big 3 and the Lakers got Gasol in what would eventually be a resurgence in NBA popularity and ratings...:lol

Fpoonsie
11-30-2010, 01:26 PM

Este.

8FOR!3
11-30-2010, 01:45 PM
LOL Heat. Soon to be .500