PDA

View Full Version : Spurs future during a lockout next year

bena91489
11-30-2010, 10:52 AM
With a large chance of a lockout in the NBA next season, some are saying that Tim Duncan may not return after taking a year off. I was wondering if that were to happen (I dont want it to happen) and Duncan retires early.

How much money would it free up for signing a big name or making a big deal to acquire another big man?

Would the Spurs automatically become big time players in the free agent market?

:flag::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::flag:

TDMVPDPOY
11-30-2010, 11:16 AM
i dont think duncan is the type of player that would take 20m cash in hand without working for it...its just not him....

Cane
11-30-2010, 11:24 AM
With a large chance of a lockout in the NBA next season, some are saying that Tim Duncan may not return after taking a year off. I was wondering if that were to happen (I dont want it to happen) and Duncan retires early.

Uh....been talking to Spurs haters much? Duncan's said he's going to be playing "until the wheels fall off". No one knows how long the lockout will last but Timmy's legs will be rested more than ever then.

lefty
11-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Matt Bonner during the lockout:

http://thescore.vo.llnwd.net/o25/fromGVG/BonnerThumb.jpg

braeden0613
11-30-2010, 12:33 PM
I think they will actually work it out this time before any of the season is missed. If not, I can't really see Tim leaving unless we happen to win a title this year and he wants to end on that.

Glenn Holland
11-30-2010, 12:44 PM
you motherfuckers are so god damned ignorant if you really think duncan wouldnt take 20 mil, for nothing.

didnt this whole eva, erin, tony cuckolding brent situation make you realize that in your pretend made up world of classy spurs players even your boys in black are no better morally than the scum of the nba

Mark in Austin
11-30-2010, 12:50 PM
If there is a lockout it could actually be good for the Spurs. Duncan was worn down as the season progresses, with a shorter season there would be less wear and tear on his knees when the playoffs start than in a normal season.

Also, with Manu and Parker probably playing for their national teams this summer the lockout would give their bodies time to recover before the season starts. And as with Duncan, a shorter season means less wear and tear on Manu and Tony.

It might even convince McDyess to come back for his final year.

Bottom line, if the core of the team stays the same, unless the season is completely cancelled the lockout would be an advantage for San Antonio.

Cane
11-30-2010, 01:09 PM
If there is a lockout it could actually be good for the Spurs. Duncan was worn down as the season progresses, with a shorter season there would be less wear and tear on his knees when the playoffs start than in a normal season.

Also, with Manu and Parker probably playing for their national teams this summer the lockout would give their bodies time to recover before the season starts. And as with Duncan, a shorter season means less wear and tear on Manu and Tony.

It might even convince McDyess to come back for his final year.

Bottom line, if the core of the team stays the same, unless the season is completely cancelled the lockout would be an advantage for San Antonio.

A shortened season could very well be a good thing for veteran dependent teams unless the shortened season has some kind of really crazy schedule.

Seventyniner
11-30-2010, 01:34 PM
A shortened season could very well be a good thing for veteran dependent teams unless the shortened season has some kind of really crazy schedule.

Like 1999 did? Games on three consecutive nights happened that year, and 50 games crammed into under 3 months seemed like a breakneck pace.

Cane
11-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Like 1999 did? Games on three consecutive nights happened that year, and 50 games crammed into under 3 months seemed like a breakneck pace.

Exactly, the Spurs would have to play a lot more of their young guns then specifically Tiago....especially since McDyess will be retired by then as well. However maybe the league learned from 1999 and the season won't be as crazy but time will tell...

So instead of thinking about the OP's question about what the Spurs would do without Duncan after the lockout...imo its more realistic to think what the Spurs will do without McDyess since he's already said he'll retire.

SA210
11-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Matt Bonner during the lockout:

http://thescore.vo.llnwd.net/o25/fromGVG/BonnerThumb.jpg

Matter Bonner during the game.

DesignatedT
11-30-2010, 01:45 PM
ehh talk about it after the season.

8FOR!3
11-30-2010, 01:52 PM
ehh talk about it after the season.

DIS. :lol