PDA

View Full Version : Pacers' Miller leads candidates for 2011 Hall of Fame class

duncan228
11-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Pacers' Miller leads candidates for 2011 Hall of Fame class (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/11/30/hall-of-fame-nominees-2011/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2)
By Scott Howard-Cooper, NBA.com

Reggie Miller, the face of the Pacers for a generation -- a shooter for every generation -- heads the list of candidates for the Hall of Fame in a likely year of change that could mean new hope of enshrinement for several hopefuls with a history of coming close.

Nominations closed Tuesday with Miller, in his first time on the ballot, the best bet for induction among players or coaches with NBA ties for the Hall that celebrates every level of basketball. An 18-year pro who only played for Indiana, Miller set league records for 3-pointers made (2560) and attempted (6,486) attempted. The five-time All-Star also included five seasons of leading the league in free-throw percentage and won gold medals in the 1994 world championships and '96 Olympics.

Since retiring, Miller has served as a NBA analyst and commentator for TNT.

That he is the leading entry from the NBA ranks comes after two years of glittering classes, starting in 2009 with Michael Jordan, John Stockton, David Robinson and Jerry Sloan and continuing to Karl Malone, Scottie Pippen, the 1992 Dream Team and the 1960 Olympic team of Oscar Robertson and Jerry West in 2010. Not only could the smaller marquee mean a different ceremony in late-summer in Springfield, Mass., the absence of star power may prompt voters to give extra consideration to nominees who have previously fallen short of induction.

There is no shortage of those with unique cases and new reason for optimism:

• Mark Jackson: At No. 3 on the career assists list, he has a better chance at reaching the next stage as a finalist after being left off last year as a first-ballot nominee. But, overall, he probably doesn't have that much reason for optimism.

• Bernard King: He has received consistently strong support, just not enough to get over the top even after a career as a scoring force who also overcame an injury that ruined nearly two full seasons, back in the day when major knee operations put a career in jeopardy.

• Chris Mullin: An All-American and Wooden Award winner at St. John's, a five-time All-Star, a two-time Olympic gold medalist who once averaged at least 25 points a game for five consecutive seasons as a tireless Warriors small forward, Mullin is facing a severe deadline. He has been a finalist the last four years and if he is for a fifth and doesn't get elected, he can not be nominated again for five years.

• Don Nelson: What timing. Nellie is up for the honor just eight months after becoming the winningest coach in NBA history ... and 2 1/2 months after being fired by the Warriors for reasons that had as much to do with approach as results. In popularity contests within the game, he loses. In a fact-based debate? Put it this way: If he didn't get in last time, while No. 2 on the career win list and on course to pass Lenny Wilkens for the top spot, Nelson might deserve it now that he's No. 1.

• Dennis Rodman: It's Year 2 of the great debate, of Rodman's obvious statistical accomplishments as a defender and rebounder against Rodman's obvious ability to turn off panelists with his personality. But eight consecutive seasons as first- or second-team All-Defense, as voted on by coaches, and another seven consecutive seasons of leading the league in rebounding, a record run, and he didn't even make finalist last year. If he doesn't at least advance to that next round this time, it could signal the Worm is forever doomed.

Other nominees via the North American committee include Maurice Lucas, Jamaal Wilkes, Rudy Tomjanovich, Cotton Fitzsimmons, Tex Winter, Spencer Haywood, Maurice Cheeks, Ralph Sampson, Bill Fitch, referee Dick Bavetta, Rick Pitino, Joe B. Hall, Jim Valvano, George Raveling and Marty Blake, the long-time head of the NBA scouting bureau.

Chet Walker is in the Veteran's committee. Arvydas Sabonis and Sarunas Marciulionis are candidates from the International committee, while Tara VanDerveer and Teresa Edwards will be candidates from the Women's committee.

Nominees must receive approval on at least seven of nine ballots in the North American group, and five of seven in the others, to become a finalist, cuts that will be announced at All-Star weekend. Finalists will need to receive at least 18 of 24 votes from a different panel -- the names of voters are never released -- to be announced at the Final Four as an inductee.

The Gemini Method
11-30-2010, 01:47 PM
How is King not in the Hall already? Miller is def. a shoe-in...or imo he is.

SenorSpur
11-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Rest assured, he will one day be taking his talents to Springfield, MA.

romsey31
11-30-2010, 01:59 PM
nice

PM5K
11-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Rodman's personality shouldn't have anything to do with him getting into the HOF. Shit Jordan was no angel, and his outburst at his enshrinement ceremony proved that.

baseline bum
11-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Miller and King should be in for sure. No one else in the article deserves it.

lefty
11-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Rodman's personality shouldn't have anything to do with him getting into the HOF. Shit Jordan was no angel, and his outburst at his enshrinement ceremony proved that.
+1 Rodman was a great player
(And MJ's speech at the HOF was shitty)

alchemist
11-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Pop needs to be in that shit already. :ihit

HarlemHeat37
11-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Miller is one of the most overrated players in NBA history, but I guess he should be a HOFer..Rodman should be a lock, obviously, and King deserves a lot of consideration, too..I don't expect either of them to make it though..

lefty
11-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Miller is one of the most overrated players in NBA history, but I guess he should be a HOFer..Rodman should be a lock, obviously, and King deserves a lot of consideration, too..I don't expect either of them to make it though..
Miller was unidimensional, but his heroics vs the NYK were classic

cherylsteele
11-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Why does Deenis Rodman get nominated, but Artis Gilmore is not even in the discussion?
He should have been inducted years ago.

hitmanyr2k
11-30-2010, 07:33 PM
How is King not in the Hall already? Miller is def. a shoe-in...or imo he is.

BK's college record would have to weigh in heavily for him to get in. In the NBA he did a lot of scoring in the regular season but barely has a playoff record to speak of. Not many accolades either. Injuries pretty much ruined his career. He's the T-Mac of the 80's.

I don't think Reggie Miller is a shoe-in either.

ElNono
11-30-2010, 08:01 PM
I hate Miller... Maybe if he didn't continue on with a broadcasting career I would have forgotten how much I hate him by now, but no. He had to go ahead and give the weakest commentary on TV.

baseline bum
11-30-2010, 08:21 PM
BK's college record would have to weigh in heavily for him to get in. In the NBA he did a lot of scoring in the regular season but barely has a playoff record to speak of. Not many accolades either. Injuries pretty much ruined his career. He's the T-Mac of the 80's.

I don't think Reggie Miller is a shoe-in either.

No way. McGrady wishes he ever had a playoffs like King's 83-84 performance.

KapitanTutan
11-30-2010, 08:24 PM
i won't listen to his speech tho

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-30-2010, 08:26 PM
Can anyone direct me to a video of Jordan's HOF speech?

Fpoonsie
11-30-2010, 08:28 PM
I hate Miller... Maybe if he didn't continue on with a broadcasting career I would have forgotten how much I hate him by now, but no. He had to go ahead and give the weakest commentary on TV.

Exactly how I feel.

That fuckin kick-out. :bang

frodo
11-30-2010, 08:36 PM
i was kinda surprised when i saw Don Nelson being in the candidate list. fat dotard shoulda been a HOF for years imho. he just hasn't won as many rings as Riley, Larry Brown but he's still the same caliber as them imho.

Technique
11-30-2010, 08:38 PM
This is a rather weak HoF year.

pawe
11-30-2010, 09:46 PM
I loved watching Miller! He had the guts to go toe to toe with MJ. Miller and Rik Smits era in Indiana was all class.
Too bad the Pacers were overrun with punks and criminals after that.

Killakobe81
11-30-2010, 09:53 PM
Miller deserves in. True his more one dimensiona than say Ray Allen or dirk but i think those are the 3 best shooters that will get in the HOf of this generation that are not in ...

Other shooters like allan houston will not sniff the HOF

Killakobe81
11-30-2010, 09:56 PM
removed wrong thread

duncan228
12-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Fan starts Dennis Rodman for Hall of Fame Facebook page (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/14/fan-starts-dennis-rodman-for-hall-of-fame-facebook-page/)
Kurt Helin

I think this is exactly what Mark Zuckerberg had in mind in his Harvard dorm room. Use of Facebook for the greater good.

A fan of The Worm — not the one at the bottom of a Mescal bottle but Dennis Rodman — has started a a Facebook page to urge inclusion of Rodman in the Hall of Fame (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dennis-Rodman-Hall-of-Fame-2011-Campaign/139764292729636?v=wall#!/pages/Dennis-Rodman-Hall-of-Fame-2011-Campaign/139764292729636?v=wall). (Hall of Fame bylaws preclude Rodman from campaigning, he has nothing to do with this site.) Go there and like it, read what is on the wall — see all the kind words written about The Worm.

Rodman is one of the finalists (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/30/reggie-miller-headlines-hall-of-fame-nominations/) to be enshrined in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame this year, but he is considered a long shot by most.

Which is a shame. Forget the hair and the off-the-court antics — Dennis Rodman was the best rebounder the game has ever seen. Rodman grabbed 23.4 percent of the available rebounds when he was on the floor over the course of his career. Think about that, he got nearly 1 in 4 rebounds when he was on the court for his entire career. For comparison, Dwight Howard’s career average is 20.7 percent. Rodman has a better rebound rate than Moses Malone, Dikembe Mutombo, Tim Duncan and anyone else you want to name. The only guy in the NBA having a better rebounding single season this year than Rodman did for his career is Kevin Love, and not by much.

Throw in that he was a fantastic defender and you see why he has five rings — he was among the best ever at doing the dirty work. He was seven-times on the all NBA defensive team. He got boards. He dove into the first row after a loose ball on a Tuesday night in Milwaukee not just in the finals. He intimidated. He won.

That is the kind of player who should be in the Hall, the kind of player that should be recognized. He will not be for reasons that have nothing to do with basketball. Because he once said he wanted to play a game in the nude and was a character off the court. Who cares?

Well, the voters will. And they likely only know about Facebook because their grandchildren are on it all the time. But I say we should support Rodman’s campaign even if it is a futile effort. Because sometimes futile efforts are the most worthy.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/14/fan-starts-dennis-rodman-for-hall-of-fame-facebook-page/

hitmanyr2k
12-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Even Pippen is campaigning for Rodman to get in the HOF. Never thought I'd see the day...

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/pippen_rodman_101214.html

My former teammate, Dennis Rodman, is a finalist for the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame’s Class of 2011. And I truly believe that he deserves to be in. Dennis is one of the greatest defensive players that the game has ever seen. He was a very multidimensional player in terms of his defending and he was a ferocious rebounder. Dennis was also a very intelligent player with a high basketball IQ. Statistically, so many of the things Dennis did wouldn’t show up in the box scores or record books. He understood the game and he did what it took to win. When you look at what he accomplished as a pro, the first thing that you see is he’s a five-time NBA champion—twice with Detroit and three times in Chicago. He brought a lot to the table on each of those teams as a major contributor.

During our second three-peat, Dennis played a huge role for the Bulls in terms of his ability to defend centers and power forwards. His rebounding, his knowledge, his court savvy and his ability to get into other player’s heads—not all of those things show up on the stat sheet, but we always knew what Dennis meant to our team. He did so many things that made an impact on our success. And it wasn’t just during his time with the Bulls; it was throughout his entire career. Dennis was an extremely tough competitor for us in the late 1980s and early 1990s. The Pistons were at the level we were aspiring to reach—NBA champions. We eventually got past Detroit, which was an extremely bitter rivalry for us.

People wondered how Michael Jordan and I would receive Dennis when he came to the Bulls in 1995. We were well aware of Dennis’ history, but we were not going to let it distract or detour us from what we were trying to do as a team. We were open to him joining us and we felt that if he was a distraction in any way, we had to have the flexibility to move on as a team and not look back. Most importantly, we believed he could come in and help us if he did what he was capable of doing on the basketball court. Obviously, that is what happened when you look at the fact he averaged 15 or 16 rebounds a game during his three seasons in Chicago. It certainly ended up working out well for us all.

Dennis was the top rebounder in the game for a long time. That’s not a given for anyone in the NBA. It’s not easy to go out there and lead the league in rebounding year in and year out. But that’s exactly what Dennis did, having won seven rebounding titles in his NBA career. And let’s not forget, Dennis wasn’t much taller than 6-6 or so. He was one of those guys that played so much bigger than his size allowed. Most of the power forwards he played against were not only taller, but much stronger. Utah’s Karl Malone comes to mind. Yet Dennis was always one of the top defenders—twice named the NBA Defensive Player of the Year (1990 and 1991) and a seven-time member of the All-Defensive First Team. He would utilize his quickness to his advantage in terms of getting position or creating fast break opportunities. Those were his strengths as a player and he mastered them. He deserves credit for that—it’s who Dennis was and he never tried to change it.

I always had a great personal relationship with Dennis and we still do to this day. It’s always enjoyable to see him and catch up. It’s also always fun to see him because he’s never alone. But we enjoyed a lot of great memories together. What people don’t realize about Dennis is that he’s just a nice guy. He is very giving, fun and lives life to its fullest. He’s a different guy, but he’s got a great heart.

It was no secret Dennis had his issues away from the game and the media loved to write about his antics. But I don’t believe any of those things should be taken into consideration when discussing whether or not he belongs in the Hall of Fame. It wasn’t about what he did off the court—it should be about the way he played basketball and won. Why should something he did outside of basketball detour in any way his Hall of Fame chances? There are a lot of imperfect athletes in professional sports and what Dennis did away from the game was his own personal life. Shouldn’t he be judged more for what he did as a basketball player?

At the end of the day, I think people will respect what Dennis has accomplished enough to make him a Hall of Famer in 2011. I don’t believe being a Hall of Famer is based on individual accolades. I think winning has a lot to do with it. But perhaps more than that, you simply have to show that you are the best or among the best at what you do. If you can prove that you’re in that elite class on a consistent basis, it speaks volumes about a player’s longevity. It also says that as a player, you were steady, stable and great, and that you deserve to be recognized. Dennis was all of those things. That’s why, based on his career and what he did on the court, Dennis Rodman belongs in the Hall of Fame.