PDA

View Full Version : headers in basketball

mabrignani
11-30-2010, 02:11 PM
is it legal?
i was watching the .4 derek fisher shot the other day and i know if its less than .3 you cant catch and shoot, but what if you head the ball in?
plenty of europeans in the nba, one of them has to know how to head the ball. it would only take like .2 secs to get a header off

thoughts?

DBMethos
11-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Not sure about headers...they could probably punch the ball at the basket.

xellos88330
11-30-2010, 05:38 PM
I like this question. I am also curious if you can bounce the ball off of the floor and in the basket.

Dex
11-30-2010, 06:41 PM
I like this question. I am also curious if you can bounce the ball off of the floor and in the basket.

I think this would count ONLY IF the bounce occurred before the clock the expired.

My reasoning: once the ball touches the floor, it is a loose ball. So if the ball were to bounce after regulation, the game would be over.

However, if the ball bounced before the clock expired, then bounded into the basket, I would think the basket would count, and would be credited to the nearest player or last who touched it (such as in a tip-in situation, or when the opposing team tips in a basket).

The question is: after a last second shot, when does the game officially end? After the ball hits the floor? Or bounces off the rim? Or touched by a player?

(Yes, I'm too lazy to dig through NBA rules verbiage to find out)

Dex
11-30-2010, 06:42 PM
As for the original question, I would imagine you get get a header off in .1 second just like a tap-in. But it's hard enough to head the ball into a soccer goal, let alone a basketball hoop.

NRHector
11-30-2010, 06:46 PM
I think this would count ONLY IF the bounce occurred before the clock the expired.

My reasoning: once the ball touches the floor, it is a loose ball. So if the ball were to bounce after regulation, the game would be over.

However, if the ball bounced before the clock expired, then bounded into the basket, I would think the basket would count, and would be credited to the nearest player or last who touched it (such as in a tip-in situation, or when the opposing team tips in a basket).

The question is: after a last second shot, when does the game officially end? After the ball hits the floor? Or bounces off the rim? Or touched by a player?

(Yes, I'm too lazy to dig through NBA rules verbiage to find out)I'll say after is touch by a player

Dex
11-30-2010, 07:33 PM
I'll say after is touch by a player

Looks like you're right.

Section III-End of Period
a. Each period ends when time expires.
EXCEPTIONS:
(1) If a live ball is in flight, the period ends when the goal is made, missed or touched by an offensive player.
(2) If the official's whistle sounds prior to the horn or :00.0 on the clock, the period is not over and time must be added to the clock.
(3) If the ball is in the air when the horn sounds ending a period, and it subsequently is touched by: (a) a defensive player, the goal, if successful, shall count; or (b) an offensive player, the period has ended.
(4) If a timeout request is made at approximately the instant time expires for a period, the period ends and the timeout shall not be granted.
b. If the ball is dead and the game clock shows :00.0, the period has ended even though the horn may not have sounded.