PDA

View Full Version : I'm not completely sold.

chazley
11-30-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm obviously a huge Spurs homer, and this season has been exciting to be a part of so far. So, to write a negative post about the Spurs' outlook, considering I wrote a hugely popular post about how Spurs were still contenders in the preseason, hurts me. However, while everyone is seeing positives in this early season, I am seeing alot of red flags. Here is what I'm seeing that will prevent us from winning number five this season, in no particular order

1. Return of small ball

At this point, it's not really a concern. However, it's easy to forget how bad small ball worked out for us last year because so far this year it has not hurt us... in fact it has won us some games (New Orleans comes to mind). However, I'm still not sold. We do not have the defensive personnel that would make small ball a long-term viable option for this team. RJ still sucks at playing the 4, this is not gonna change, and it's not his fault.

2. RJ is really being overrated by Spurs fans right now.

There were a few things I really wanted to see from RJ this season to improve on. One of those things, 3-pt attempts and %, he has excelled in so far, and I'm very optimistic it can continue. While he will not finish this season shooting 50% from the field and 44% from 3. On this team, he should stay close to that 50% overall, but that 44% from 3 is going to drop by the end of the season. His best season, as widely known, was his lone season in Milwaukee, when he shot 39.7% from 3. To think he will have his best shooting season from 3 in his 10th season, and be almost 5% better than his best previous season, is a little over optimistic. There are signs it could stay above 40% though. His shot mechanics are obviously improved, and a large majority of his threes this year are coming from the corner, where I think he shot 45% from in 08-09. Also, he's averaging 1.6 more 3PA this season compared to last, and is also on pace to set a career high in this category.

Rebounding the ball was another thing I thought was very important for him, and so far his rebounding has been sub par, even compared to last season. Ideally, RJ with this group should be in the 5-6 RPG range, and he's on pace right now to average a career low in rebounds, which is baffling to me considering his MPG is higher than last years and TD/Blair, our two best rebounders, are getting a lot less combined minutes than last year.

Defensive consistency was another big thing, and I'm not gonna lie to you, I do not have enough knowledge to comment on it. Hopefully someone who has paid attention to this part of his game can comment.

Aggression. Again, a little disappointed with this. His FTA are only up 1.5 from last season, to 4.8. This should be in the 6-ish range, and the fact it's still below 5 is disconcerting to me. He averaged 6.3 his last season before coming to the Spurs, in just over 3 more MPG. He is capable and I'm tired of the excuses.

3. Regression from too many members of the team

Can someone wake up Dejuan/George/Tim please? All 3 have taken steps back this season, and I'm particularly concerned about DB and Tim. Dejuan's move back to the bench couldn't come fast enough. He's playing, compared to last season, with a complete lack of confidence and consistency. McDyess should be starting games for this team. George has come around as of late, but overall has performed far below expectations.

Timmy, wow. At this time last year, he was an MVP candidate, carrying the Spurs through injuries to Manu and Tony. He's had only two 20-10 games so far, compared to 6 in the same span last year. Everyone knows about the single digit points personal record. He has looked slow and worn down, and it really stands out on offense. The days of Duncan carrying this team are over. His November scoring average is just under 5 PPG worse than his previous worst November scoring average (Can't find stats for first/second season). It's a huge drop, and it's not an aberration. The rebounding will not see a big drop off now or in subsequent seasons, and he'll be a good/great defensive anchor for years to come if he doesn't have to play pick and roll defense often, but it's looking less and less likely that Duncan will ever average 17+ PPG in a season ever again. Sadly, it seems that father time is taking it's toll on our franchise player.

4. Splitter, so far, isn't better than Rasho/Fab/Nazr.

Defensively and offensively, Splitter has shown flashes. However, that has been it... flashes. Consistency is such a big thing in basketball, particularly when you're goal is to win a championship. Tiago seems to have good fundamentals, particularly on the defensive end where I've been impressed with his footwork. His scoring has not been good though, not that it needs to be great, but I was expecting more. Honestly, I believe Tiago could make or break this Spurs team's title chances. He has the potential to be a GREAT pick and roll defender, which has been the Spurs kryptonite in recent seasons with the decline of Duncan's lateral speed. Honestly, it is the only thing that excites me about him. He's not really a rookie, and should be showing more. Lack of conditioning is a concern, considering it's about to be December.

5. Manu cannot keep this up.

Right now, Manu is the MVP of the league IMO. I'm not saying this because I'm a big Spurs fan... I think it is a shared sentiment around the league that he is in the conversation with CP3/Dirk right now. Do any Spurs fans think that he will do this for an entire season though? I don't buy the 'he will get tired' theory. Superstars should be capable of playing a full season without tiring, playing 33 MPG. Manu has never shown he is capable of doing this though. He has superstar stretches where he looks like the best SG in the league (like right now), then he somehow regresses to the point where he isn't even in the conversation anymore. I'm not sure what the explanation is... I wish I knew.

I will say though, overall, we are better this season than last season, and we are obviously really good when Manu starts. Also, the league looks to be much weaker than before, and the Lakers look as beatable as ever. This makes our title chances better than ever and there are alot of positives that I did not outline because every Spurs fan already knows them, but again there are still red flags.

sinok
11-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Here's a rope, you can hang yourself if you wish to.

http://www.africandiaspora.barule.org/Image_-_Hanging_Rope.JPG

spurtech09
11-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Im with you on this one sinok....

Ross Parrot
11-30-2010, 03:58 PM
(14-2)- And our improvement ceiling is still high. Spurs suck so bad, so stop watching everybody.

- http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lb3a8qtu6l1qck0fho1_500.png

etbluffer
11-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Seriously, what is it with fans on here who can't handle winning. Folks, this is no longer a mirage. It is happening, the Spurs are 14-2, and are playing the best ball in the Association. Can they keep it up? Probably not as efficient as it's been the first five weeks of the season, but I think they are on their way to a date with the Lakers in the WCF. Everyone, just please calm down, put your laptop down, and enjoy the ride. Just enjoy it, no matter where it takes us!

koriwhat
11-30-2010, 04:07 PM
it's getting easier to weed-out the bandwagon fans

Darkwaters
11-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Seriously, what is it with fans on here who can't handle winning. Folks, this is no longer a mirage. It is happening, the Spurs are 14-2, and are playing the best ball in the Association. Can they keep it up? Probably not as efficient as it's been the first five weeks of the season, but I think they are on their way to a date with the Lakers in the WCF. Everyone, just please calm down, put your laptop down, and enjoy the ride. Just enjoy it, no matter where it takes us!

+1

I'm enjoying the ride. If this was a roller coaster I'd have my hands up and everything.

alchemist
11-30-2010, 04:13 PM
just turrrrrrbbllllllleeeeeee

99-03-05-07
11-30-2010, 04:13 PM
yeah me either, only one lose in the whole month. yeah, were bad.

PDXSpursFan
11-30-2010, 04:15 PM
The only thing that worries me is health. Can the big 3 stay healthy the full season and through the playoffs? If the answer is yes, I like the Spurs chances of winning a championship this year.

Darkwaters
11-30-2010, 04:16 PM
yeah me either, only one lose in the whole month. yeah, were bad.

It was a loss to the Mavs which makes people self-conscious. None the less, the Mavs are a great team and you're going to lose to good teams sometimes. But with such consistent play by our guys, I think we'll be ok.

Manufan909
11-30-2010, 04:19 PM
Here's a rope, you can hang yourself if you wish to.

http://www.africandiaspora.barule.org/Image_-_Hanging_Rope.JPG

I 3rd this.

TJastal
11-30-2010, 04:27 PM
No doubt small ball won the hornets game, and Popped will take that to mean it will work against everyone, so I agree we can look forward to seeing more of it, and at some point it is going to fail miserably. On this I agree with you.

I'm not sure what Udoka's role is going to be yet (if any) but if RJ has to play more and more PF (to accomodate Pop's fetish with small balls) his game will regress eventually.

Blair has regressed, obviously. Should have traded him last year when he was a hot commodity and his value was high. He might still prove valuable off the bench. And Duncan needs more help than what Blair can provide in the starting lineup.

Splitter is better than those other guys you mentioned, IMO. He's just not getting consistent minutes however. I call it the Roger Mason syndrome. Pop likes to toy with lineups and minutes like a woman changes shoes and makeup. Players would much prefer to have defined role & regular minutes for the most part so they know what to expect each game. Under Pop, they just never know what to expect.

And I think Manu is fine playing 30 minutes. I think being relieved of the burden of carrying the 2nd unit singlehandedly has taken a weight off his shoulders and he can take it easier now. Funny as it seems, the 25 minutes of all out 110% overdrive 6th man basketball was putting a far greater burden on him than playing with the starters 30 minutes. I applaud this change, and so far its worked out quite nicely for Manu.

George Gervin's Afro
11-30-2010, 05:06 PM
I am cautiously optimistic about the spurs this season.

jag
11-30-2010, 05:09 PM
It's the beginning of December so I'm not buying or selling any playoff/finals predictions. I will say that it's extremely obvious that this team is better than last year's team.

The FO worked to get Tiago here, drafted a player that can contribute right away, added perimeter scoring and signed the best available option at SF. At this point i feel like Pop and RC are fielding the best roster possible. They are doing the best with the tools they have at their disposal.

A lot of things have to go right for a team to see the LOB. And the majority of those things don't develop in November. So it really doesn't matter if you are, or aren't sold on the Spurs right now.

LongtimeSpursFan
11-30-2010, 05:11 PM
I'm obviously a huge Spurs homer, and this season has been exciting to be a part of so far. So, to write a negative post about the Spurs' outlook, considering I wrote a hugely popular post about how Spurs were still contenders in the preseason, hurts me. However, while everyone is seeing positives in this early season, I am seeing alot of red flags. Here is what I'm seeing that will prevent us from winning number five this season, in no particular order

1. Return of small ball

At this point, it's not really a concern. However, it's easy to forget how bad small ball worked out for us last year because so far this year it has not hurt us... in fact it has won us some games (New Orleans comes to mind). However, I'm still not sold. We do not have the defensive personnel that would make small ball a long-term viable option for this team. RJ still sucks at playing the 4, this is not gonna change, and it's not his fault.

2. RJ is really being overrated by Spurs fans right now.

There were a few things I really wanted to see from RJ this season to improve on. One of those things, 3-pt attempts and %, he has excelled in so far, and I'm very optimistic it can continue. While he will not finish this season shooting 50% from the field and 44% from 3. On this team, he should stay close to that 50% overall, but that 44% from 3 is going to drop by the end of the season. His best season, as widely known, was his lone season in Milwaukee, when he shot 39.7% from 3. To think he will have his best shooting season from 3 in his 10th season, and be almost 5% better than his best previous season, is a little over optimistic. There are signs it could stay above 40% though. His shot mechanics are obviously improved, and a large majority of his threes this year are coming from the corner, where I think he shot 45% from in 08-09. Also, he's averaging 1.6 more 3PA this season compared to last, and is also on pace to set a career high in this category.

Rebounding the ball was another thing I thought was very important for him, and so far his rebounding has been sub par, even compared to last season. Ideally, RJ with this group should be in the 5-6 RPG range, and he's on pace right now to average a career low in rebounds, which is baffling to me considering his MPG is higher than last years and TD/Blair, our two best rebounders, are getting a lot less combined minutes than last year.

Defensive consistency was another big thing, and I'm not gonna lie to you, I do not have enough knowledge to comment on it. Hopefully someone who has paid attention to this part of his game can comment.

Aggression. Again, a little disappointed with this. His FTA are only up 1.5 from last season, to 4.8. This should be in the 6-ish range, and the fact it's still below 5 is disconcerting to me. He averaged 6.3 his last season before coming to the Spurs, in just over 3 more MPG. He is capable and I'm tired of the excuses.

3. Regression from too many members of the team

Can someone wake up Dejuan/George/Tim please? All 3 have taken steps back this season, and I'm particularly concerned about DB and Tim. Dejuan's move back to the bench couldn't come fast enough. He's playing, compared to last season, with a complete lack of confidence and consistency. McDyess should be starting games for this team. George has come around as of late, but overall has performed far below expectations.

Timmy, wow. At this time last year, he was an MVP candidate, carrying the Spurs through injuries to Manu and Tony. He's had only two 20-10 games so far, compared to 6 in the same span last year. Everyone knows about the single digit points personal record. He has looked slow and worn down, and it really stands out on offense. The days of Duncan carrying this team are over. His November scoring average is just under 5 PPG worse than his previous worst November scoring average (Can't find stats for first/second season). It's a huge drop, and it's not an aberration. The rebounding will not see a big drop off now or in subsequent seasons, and he'll be a good/great defensive anchor for years to come if he doesn't have to play pick and roll defense often, but it's looking less and less likely that Duncan will ever average 17+ PPG in a season ever again. Sadly, it seems that father time is taking it's toll on our franchise player.

4. Splitter, so far, isn't better than Rasho/Fab/Nazr.

Defensively and offensively, Splitter has shown flashes. However, that has been it... flashes. Consistency is such a big thing in basketball, particularly when you're goal is to win a championship. Tiago seems to have good fundamentals, particularly on the defensive end where I've been impressed with his footwork. His scoring has not been good though, not that it needs to be great, but I was expecting more. Honestly, I believe Tiago could make or break this Spurs team's title chances. He has the potential to be a GREAT pick and roll defender, which has been the Spurs kryptonite in recent seasons with the decline of Duncan's lateral speed. Honestly, it is the only thing that excites me about him. He's not really a rookie, and should be showing more. Lack of conditioning is a concern, considering it's about to be December.

5. Manu cannot keep this up.

Right now, Manu is the MVP of the league IMO. I'm not saying this because I'm a big Spurs fan... I think it is a shared sentiment around the league that he is in the conversation with CP3/Dirk right now. Do any Spurs fans think that he will do this for an entire season though? I don't buy the 'he will get tired' theory. Superstars should be capable of playing a full season without tiring, playing 33 MPG. Manu has never shown he is capable of doing this though. He has superstar stretches where he looks like the best SG in the league (like right now), then he somehow regresses to the point where he isn't even in the conversation anymore. I'm not sure what the explanation is... I wish I knew.

I will say though, overall, we are better this season than last season, and we are obviously really good when Manu starts. Also, the league looks to be much weaker than before, and the Lakers look as beatable as ever. This makes our title chances better than ever and there are alot of positives that I did not outline because every Spurs fan already knows them, but again there are still red flags.

This was a waste of time to write muchless a waste of time to read. Spurs are off to best record in history and have best overall record in NBA and people still complain. Twenty percent of the regular season is almost completed. I'd say that gives us enough time to give us an idea of the strong teams and those that are not. Lets not discount a 14-2 record.

ohmwrecker
11-30-2010, 05:34 PM
This was a waste of time to write muchless a waste of time to read. Spurs are off to best record in history and have best overall record in NBA and people still complain. Twenty percent of the regular season is almost completed. I'd say that gives us enough time to give us an idea of the strong teams and those that are not. Lets not discount a 14-2 record.

Then why did you quote the whole goddamn thing again? I am this close to calling you a noob.

Vito Corleone
11-30-2010, 05:37 PM
1. there is nothing wrong with small ball, especially when you have the necessary talent to go very big without missing a beat. That is what the Spurs have. Yes we are playing a lot of small ball, but think about it. We can play a lineup of Splitter, Duncan, McDyess, Jefferson, and Manu and not miss a beat. That's a pretty big lineup. Small ball is winning for us right now without putting any real strain on Duncan, Manu or McDyess, that is the key to our playoff success.

2. RJ is overrated. He might be, but he is doing very well right now. Do we have a better option? Is there a guy out there we can trade for that would be better? Remember if we make a trade the guy still would need a learning curve to learn our system. Jefferson is hitting his open looks and is giving us what we need within the system we are running.

3. Blair, George, and Duncan regressed? I get that your concerned about Blair, and maybe even George. Duncan? If you call less minutes regressed then he has regressed. Come on, Tim is still Tim. We are winning right now and protecting Tim's health what in the world is wrong with this?

As for Blair and George, we know they can play, give them a chance to find their rhythm.

4 You are so far off on your analysis of Splitter it's comical, Splitter is already giving us more than anything Rasho ever gave us. And that is just on the defensive side of the ball. I can't imagine how good he is going to be when he actually gets his legs under him and is accustomed to a NBA regular season. If you can't see what Splitter is doing on the court your not really watching the game.

5. You might be right about Manu, my biggest concern is we need to better protect our human pin ball from taking too many hits.

Trill Clinton
11-30-2010, 05:44 PM
It's the beginning of December so I'm not buying or selling any playoff/finals predictions. I will say that it's extremely obvious that this team is better than last year's team.

The FO worked to get Tiago here, drafted a player that can contribute right away, added perimeter scoring and signed the best available option at SF. At this point i feel like Pop and RC are fielding the best roster possible. They are doing the best with the tools they have at their disposal.

A lot of things have to go right for a team to see the LOB. And the majority of those things don't develop in November. So it really doesn't matter if you are, or aren't sold on the Spurs right now.

:tu

Dex
11-30-2010, 06:00 PM
While I appreciate any attempt to RTB...I'm still utterly resolved to go with the typical response:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:V0fxkhfhbDXcAM:http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa107/lostdog2323/TheDude.jpg&t=1
That's just like, uh...your opinion, man.

11-30-2010, 06:29 PM
the giant elephant no one is talking about is injury and fatigue. everyone knows that they are bound to happen in an 82 game season. one of the big 3 will be going down sooner or later, as they have done for the past many many years.

TD 21
11-30-2010, 07:38 PM
Duncan is fine. He looks to be coming out of his shooting slump, only it's still early in the season, so his percentage doesn't look great because it's not like he was at 52-54% shooting through two months. As for the per game averages, I don't know how much more you want out of a guy playing under 30 mpg and shooting less than 12 times a game.

I realize one is an all-time great and the other is injury prone and hasn't accomplished all that much, but Bynum was putting up similar numbers last season and people were building him up (rightly so, when he's right he's one of the five best centers in the entire league), yet when Duncan does it, people are concerned and some act like he can't play anymore.

People need to realize, the entire team isn't going to be averaging what they're capable of at once. With certain guys shooting/scoring more, that means others will be shooting/scoring less. If they were all averaging what they're capable of at once, this team would be unbeaten because they'd be averaging at least 120 ppg.

As for Ginobili wearing down, I tend to think he will as well, but people need to stop stating it as fact. As if he's played this much before and we saw his play fall off dramatically as the season wore on as a direct result of playing too many minutes. He's never done this before, as fans we've just been conditioned, with his style of play, to think he can't handle this type of workload. But we don't know for certain he can't. He very well might be able to. Even if he isn't, don't be expecting a precipitous drop in his minutes any time soon. They'll probably get his average down to about 32 as the season goes on, but that's only a minute less than he's playing now.

Cessation
11-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Most of this, is nitpicking at its weakest.

We barelly played small ball this year, after one game of its success, all of a sudden its a longterm solution, give me a break.

RJ ..ok after a hot start hes dissapeared a couple of games, but hes still an important contributor and was super clutch in several games this year. Hes much more consistent in his second season. Just look at last game, that was his best defensive effort while guarding west at pf, thats impressive. Lets not forget hes still the 3rd or 4th option on this team. I wouldnt worry about him.

Tim has taken a back seat, ala Robinson. Hes still good defensivelly and is just out of rythm on offence, still getting used to not getting as many touches anymore, hes regressed somewhat due to age, but not as much as some think. Hill was starting last year, this year he needed to get used to playing with the second unit, and is averaging 14pts in last 4 games, safe to say hes out of his slump. I have to agree with your blair assessment, he regeressed, the good thing is, pop is pulling him out early and barelly giving him any minutes.

Splitter is improving, and will be fine, but it doesnt help when pop gives him dnps and plays the likes of bonner and blair instead, though latelly hes been getting some time on the court.

Manu well be ok, this is basically last chance at a title, and everyone playign like it, with the appropriate desparation, you gotta risk if you want to win it all.

UnWantedTheory
11-30-2010, 09:31 PM
Gotta love the Chaz. :lol

Budkin
11-30-2010, 09:33 PM
I don't think we're that good either because there is a good chance that we might lose a game.

chazley
11-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Lol some of you guys are straight up idiots, or just straight up didn't read my post. All I'm saying is there are red flags. I'm not bashing the Spurs, just pointing out that we have some issues despite our record. To disagree with me is fine, but to post worthless responses calling me stupid or just straight up misquoting me is just stupid.

chazley
11-30-2010, 10:01 PM
Also, I'm looking down the road with things that might hinder us in a title run, not commenting on how we are playing now. We are the best team in the league right now.

Cessation
11-30-2010, 10:35 PM
lol you mad?

ohmwrecker
12-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Lol some of you guys are straight up idiots, or just straight up didn't read my post. All I'm saying is there are red flags. I'm not bashing the Spurs, just pointing out that we have some issues despite our record. To disagree with me is fine, but to post worthless responses calling me stupid or just straight up misquoting me is just stupid.

I understand your post. However, you are really just pointing out the obvious concerns that everyone is already well aware of and have already been discussed, for the most part.
Everyone can see that Blair and Hill are struggling a right now (although Hill looked great vs Dallas & NO and Blair played well vs GSW), but we all know what kind of play these guys are capable of and it is most likely that they will get it together sooner than later.
Hill, in particular, will help tremendously with the management of Manu's minutes. Don't forget, James Anderson is due back in January.
Anyone who knows anything about basketball can see that Tiago Splitter is really going to help this team. Pay attention to the game and not the box score. Once Splitter is up to speed, Duncan will be able to rest more.
Your concerns are legitimate, but considering that the Spurs have guys who are performing below par, the defense still needs improvement, Anderson is out, there's no legit SF back-up . . . the Spurs are still at the top of standings. Let's try to enjoy it a little, eh?

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-01-2010, 10:50 AM
The best part is that the Spurs are doing so well despite a number of areas, in which they can clearly do better ( defense mainly; more involvement of TD; Tiago, Hill and Blair finding their game, etc. ). Meaning that there's a lot of room for improvement still, this team hasn't reached its ceiling and this is a good thing.

rascal
12-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Most of this, is nitpicking at its weakest.

We barelly played small ball this year, after one game of its success, all of a sudden its a longterm solution, give me a break.

RJ ..ok after a hot start hes dissapeared a couple of games, but hes still an important contributor and was super clutch in several games this year. Hes much more consistent in his second season. Just look at last game, that was his best defensive effort while guarding west at pf, thats impressive. Lets not forget hes still the 3rd or 4th option on this team. I wouldnt worry about him.

Tim has taken a back seat, ala Robinson. Hes still good defensivelly and is just out of rythm on offence, still getting used to not getting as many touches anymore, hes regressed somewhat due to age, but not as much as some think. Hill was starting last year, this year he needed to get used to playing with the second unit, and is averaging 14pts in last 4 games, safe to say hes out of his slump. I have to agree with your blair assessment, he regeressed, the good thing is, pop is pulling him out early and barelly giving him any minutes.

Splitter is improving, and will be fine, but it doesnt help when pop gives him dnps and plays the likes of bonner and blair instead, though latelly hes been getting some time on the court.

Manu well be ok, this is basically last chance at a title, and everyone playign like it, with the appropriate desparation, you gotta risk if you want to win it all.

Next year is the last chance at a title and a better chance at a title as Splitter, Anderson and Hill will be better next year. Its a western conference final loss to the lakers for this year.

ohmwrecker
12-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Next year is the last chance at a title and a better chance at a title as Splitter, Anderson and Hill will be better next year. Its a western conference final loss to the lakers for this year.

So, you won't need to watch anymore games or post here then? Neat.

senorglory
12-01-2010, 12:35 PM
As for Blair and George, we know they can play, give them a chance to find their rhythm.

I think you're right, and I'd add that they are playing different positions/situations than they were at the end of last year. Don't have the opportunity to shine as they did, and need to adjust to slightly different roles. Blair in particular is on the floor with Duncan more than last year. George isn't starting in place of an injured Parker.

TDMVPDPOY
12-01-2010, 12:47 PM
lol you mad?

yeh he mad!!!

LongtimeSpursFan
12-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Then why did you quote the whole goddamn thing again? I am this close to calling you a noob.

I quoted the whole thing because I wanted to show the length of the post and that reading the entire thing was a waste of time. Any post that starts out with "Im a huge Spurs fan BUT...." sends red flags.

ohmwrecker
12-01-2010, 01:35 PM
I quoted the whole thing because I wanted to show the length of the post and that reading the entire thing was a waste of time. Any post that starts out with "Im a huge Spurs fan BUT...." sends red flags.

We all saw the length of the post at the top of the page, Scooter. Nobody really cares if you think it's worth reading or not. Are you one of those people who finds it necessary to constantly call attention to the obvious?

Solid D
12-01-2010, 01:45 PM
"Well I'm tired of getting my ass handed to me by chazley the troll, so I'll bow out as gracefully as possible..." - Obstructed_View

"Chaz owning fools in here." - DPG21920

"Much respect, chaz." - Blackjack

"funny that 2 hours after chazley made his post, McDonald had those tweets about the odds for each team to win" - ace3g

"chazley always posts some spectacular stuff." - chieflion

http://www.fullsportpress.com/backpatternew.gif

Horse
12-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Splitter is no better than those 3, who I believe we won championships with all of them, I'll take it.

Solid D
12-01-2010, 02:10 PM

What you are saying is simple. There are red flags, therefor, the following things will prevent the Spurs from winning number five this season:

1. Small Ball with the current defensive acuity, personnel-wise, won't do it.
2. RJ won't stay hot-shooting and he's not as aggressive as you'd like to see.
3. Tim, DeJuan and George have regressed.
4. Tiago could make or break the year and he's not giving the Spurs what past centers have given them.
5. Manu can't keep this up.

I guess we'll see.

Barfunk
12-01-2010, 04:21 PM

:bang I don't mean to be negative but yea you probably shouldn't watch anymore with that outlook.

chazley
12-01-2010, 04:39 PM
What you are saying is simple. There are red flags, therefor, the following things will prevent the Spurs from winning number five this season:

1. Small Ball with the current defensive acuity, personnel-wise, won't do it.
2. RJ won't stay hot-shooting and he's not as aggressive as you'd like to see.
3. Tim, DeJuan and George have regressed.
4. Tiago could make or break the year and he's not giving the Spurs what past centers have given them.
5. Manu can't keep this up.

I guess we'll see.

Yes, excellent cliffs. Just want to add that all five of these things can be corrected or sustained, and if they are, we can win a title. We are still title contenders in my eyes.

jjktkk
12-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Don't all teams considered contenders have these so called red flags?

Jason R
12-01-2010, 04:57 PM
So there are things the Spurs could do better?

Well howdy do.

chazley
12-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Don't all teams considered contenders have these so called red flags?

Yes. In fact, I think only the Celtics have less red flags than we do at this point.

Agloco
12-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Yes. In fact, I think only the Celtics have less red flags than we do at this point.

In quantity. In quality, one of their flags is much bigger than any of ours: Age. They go as far as Rondo takes them (never thought I'd see myself typing those words...but there they are).

chazley
12-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Also, want to point out how excellent this thread was:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161882

chazley
12-01-2010, 05:19 PM
In quantity. In quality, one of their flags is much bigger than any of ours: Age. They go as far as Rondo takes them (never thought I'd see myself typing those words...but there they are).

Sorry, but the resurgence of KG cancels out whatever 'decline' (not much) Ray/Pierce have had. The wear and tear on Rondo from playing 18+ straight months is much more of concern for them, as I pointed out in the preseason in my excellent why the Spurs are still contenders thread.

ohmwrecker
12-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Resurgence of KG?! Dude has missed 55 games last two seasons.

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Why can't you just enjoy the Spurs run they are having in the beginning of the season? There's no reason to be so negative. Enjoy the games and just hope they win instead of pointing out every negative thing the Spurs have this season. (Half of the stuff you said I wouldn't consider true.)

rascal
12-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Also, I'm looking down the road with things that might hinder us in a title run, not commenting on how we are playing now. We are the best team in the league right now.

Agree with you. By the looks of this site and the excitement you would think the spurs already have won a title. They are off to a great regular season start but getting into a hard fought 7 game series with the lakers will be a new season.
And unless the spurs can get past the lakers they fall short of a title again.

The spurs need major contribututions for anderson and Splitter to even have a shot at the lakers because if they don't it is basically the same team as last year.

DPG21920
12-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Chaz sh*tting on SpursTalk.

chazley
12-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Chaz sh*tting on SpursTalk.

Almost sig-worthy.

SouthTexasRancher
12-01-2010, 11:13 PM
I'm obviously a huge Spurs homer, and this season has been exciting to be a part of so far. So, to write a negative post about the Spurs' outlook, considering I wrote a hugely popular post about how Spurs were still contenders in the preseason, hurts me. However, while everyone is seeing positives in this early season, I am seeing alot of red flags. Here is what I'm seeing that will prevent us from winning number five this season, in no particular order.

Ahhhh, now we know the ST alias of Ticket 760's late afternoon Spurs hater...little Mike 'Big Mouth' Taylor.

Thank you for your opinion...maybe you'd prefer the Miami Heat bandwagon to go with your Dallas Mavettes.

BTW...there is absolutely, positively NO reason to beat your chest and pump your hands over that big head of yours. In our own eyes we are all the greatest thing to ever hit planet Earth. :ihit

chazley
12-03-2010, 01:25 AM
Ahhhh, now we know the ST alias of Ticket 760's late afternoon Spurs hater...little Mike 'Big Mouth' Taylor.

Thank you for your opinion...maybe you'd prefer the Miami Heat bandwagon to go with your Dallas Mavettes.

BTW...there is absolutely, positively NO reason to beat your chest and pump your hands over that big head of yours. In our own eyes we are all the greatest thing to ever hit planet Earth. :ihit

I've been accused of being some people, but I am just a regular dude.

Also, I don't claim to be the greatest thing to ever walk the planet. However, I am the #1 poster on Spurstalk.

Crickets
12-03-2010, 02:27 AM
Suckas

Crickets
12-03-2010, 02:30 AM
The spurts will not win another title ever

99-03-05-07
12-03-2010, 10:42 AM

we win one before miami does:lobt2:

Solid D
12-03-2010, 12:09 PM
I've been accused of being some people, but I am just a regular dude.

Also, I don't claim to be the greatest thing to ever walk the planet. However, I am the #1 poster on Spurstalk.

To be exact, you are poster #19,071.

Warlord23
12-03-2010, 12:12 PM
(14-2)- And our improvement ceiling is still high. Spurs suck so bad, so stop watching everybody.

- http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lb3a8qtu6l1qck0fho1_500.png

Is this a picture of TPark? Serious question.

chazley
12-03-2010, 01:25 PM
To be exact, you are poster #19,071.

To sign up? Yes.

In terms of best content/insight when they post? I am #1.

polandprzem
12-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Tpark not that handsome

polandprzem
12-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Spam

polandprzem
12-03-2010, 01:27 PM
I mean

S
P
A
M

Horse
12-03-2010, 01:57 PM
You would'nt even have one if the dallas chokricks did'nt hand it to you.

rascal
12-03-2010, 02:37 PM

The spurs biggest red flag is getting past the lakers.

slayermin
12-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Enjoy the ride. Destiny can't escape history, if that makes any sense. A team with the pedigree the Spurs have should win another ring before it's over.