PDA

View Full Version : So I attended my first Toros game and...

SenorSpur
11-30-2010, 10:55 PM
..witnessed an old-fashioned blowout at the hands of the Texas (Frisco) Legends.

Obviously, I went for the sole purpose of watching the Toros and getting a look at the squad. Unfortunately for me, it wasn't much of a game. The Legends broke a D-League record for points in one half, as the score swelled to 84-55. I left at halftime to get set for Spurs vs. Warriors.

Here are some first half take aways:

Overall, the Legends absolutely roasted the Toros on the offensive end. To say the Toros were horrific in transition defense would be a gross understatement. They got beat soundly on the glass and were simply overwhelmed by the overall talent level of the Dallas squad.

Dominique Archie - Incredibly athletic. His first two baskets were slam-dunk putbacks off missed shots. Runs the floor superbly. Definitely has a scorer's mentality.

Marcus Hubbard - Showed both a nice touch from the outside and the ability to get in the paint. He crashed the boards pretty well. Very athletic.

Garrett Williamson - I could be wrong on this, and Chump do correct me if I am, but it appeared that Williamson was mainly running the point. He didn't always take great care of the ball, and got it swiped a few times. However, he did make deliberate attempts to feed Cousin in the post.

Marcus Cousin - The main reason I wanted to see this game. This guy is no doubt a true back-to-the-basket 5. Adequate footwork, but still needs improvement. He could help himself out greatly if he developed a few counter moves as he's working his man. Nice touch around the basket. Showed off a decent reportoire of shots. On the defensive end, he does contest shots, but doesn't always box out as well as he should.

Some individual side notes on the Legends:

Antonio Daniels seems to be simply there to provide veteran leadership and to settle the squad. Still good to see one of our former boys.

Joe Alexander demonstrated good postup moves. Had a couple of nice dunks off dribble drives. Hit a few jumpers, but outside shot is still inconsistent. Obviously, he's very athletic and very active. Rebounds well. Contests shots. High motor. The guy looks like he can play a little bit. It's hard to figure why he can't catch on.

Dominque Jones is a terror in the lane. He got into the paint, at will and showed nice touch from the outside. At one point, he scored on 3 straight possessions for the Legends.

Rashard McAnts can still stroke it and still play

Final score: Legends 135 Toros 122.

We all kind of joked about this, but the Legends are stacked with several former 1st round picks. If this game is any indication, they should be a D-League force to be reckoned with - at least until they play Rio Grande Valley.

8FOR!3
11-30-2010, 11:44 PM
I thought Dominique Jones was on the Mavs roster, had no idea they sent him to Frisco. Between him, Antonio Daniels, Joe Alexander, and Rashad McCants it's no surprise they won.

SenorSpur
11-30-2010, 11:45 PM
I thought Dominique Jones was on the Mavs roster, had no idea they sent him to Frisco. Between him, Antonio Daniels, Joe Alexander, and Rashad McCants it's no surprise they won.

The Mavs just assigned him to their D-League affiliate a couple of days ago. THey claimed they want him to get some floor time. Cuban being the publicity-hound that he is, he may have just authorized this assignment to drive up attendance.

8FOR!3
11-30-2010, 11:51 PM
The Mavs just assigned him to their D-League affiliate a couple of days ago. THey claimed they want him to get some floor time. Cuban being the publicity-hound that he is, he may have just authorized this assignment to drive up attendance.

Hell I'm not gonna lie, when I go see my dad for Christmas next week in Dallas I'd like to go to a game. He lives in Frisco and it would be cool to watch Dominique Jones, Daniels, McCants, Alexander, as well as Reece Gaines (no clue he was still playing ball) and Sean Williams. They're stacked for a D-League team lol :lol

ShoogarBear
12-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Sounds like the Toros kicked ass in the second half, though. :)

SenorSpur
12-01-2010, 12:46 AM
Sounds like the Toros kicked ass in the second half, though. :)

Yeah, I hate I missed tha second-half rally. :lol

By the way, Cuban was meandering around the arena, doing his celebrity owner thing - shaking hands and kissing babies. Smiling and cheering on his troops. Anytime a team of his gets the best of a Spurs team, he creams in his pants.

ChumpDumper
12-01-2010, 05:07 AM
Garrett Williamson - I could be wrong on this, and Chump do correct me if I am, but it appeared that Williamson was mainly running the point. He didn't always take great care of the ball, and got it swiped a few times. However, he did make deliberate attempts to feed Cousin in the post.Yeah, he is normally the backup to Squeaky Johnson and nowhere near the point guard Johnson is. Haven't watched the game yet, but from what seen the pick and roll game is pretty much nonexistent when Squeaky is out.

We all kind of joked about this, but the Legends are stacked with several former 1st round picks. If this game is any indication, they should be a D-League force to be reckoned with - at least until they play Rio Grande Valley.Who knows? Maybe the Toros sign Antoine Walker to fight all that star power in Frisco.

SenorSpur
12-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Who knows? Maybe the Toros sign Antoine Walker to fight all that star power in Frisco.

:lol

ohmwrecker
12-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Man, Frisco has a stacked roster.

SenorSpur
12-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Man, Frisco has a stacked roster.

All kidding aside, they really do have a lot of talent throughout the roster. I mean McCants doesn't even start.

jimo2305
12-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Rashad Mccants eh.. hmm...

edit: oh nvm.. i was thinkin' he was on the toros..

Bruno
12-01-2010, 01:18 PM
It's interesting to see how Spurs and Mavs make use of their D-League team in an almost opposite way.
The Toros are a a tool to develop young players. Spurs try to get some young players, even if there are better players available and work with him.
Dallas seemed to use their D-League teams a promotional item. They have added a lot of high profile players who will almost all be gone before the end of the season. Going with Lieberman as a coach has also made some noise around the team.

Spurs' way to manage their D-League team seems to be the most sounded basketball wise even it hasn't produced positive results for Spurs so far.

SenorSpur
12-01-2010, 03:10 PM
It's interesting to see how Spurs and Mavs make use of their D-League team in an almost opposite way.
The Toros are a a tool to develop young players. Spurs try to get some young players, even if there are better players available and work with him.
Dallas seemed to use their D-League teams a promotional item. They have added a lot of high profile players who will almost all be gone before the end of the season. Going with Lieberman as a coach has also made some noise around the team.

Spurs' way to manage their D-League team seems to be the most sounded basketball wise even it hasn't produced positive results for Spurs so far.

Bruno, once again, I believe you've captured the essence of a philosophical dichotomy. From the circus atmosphere at that game, the novelty of the first female professional basketball coach, to the overly-stacked roster, there is no question that Cubes is seeking to create an atmospheric buzz and to capitalize off that buzz, in the return of suburban dollars. There's nothing wrong with that - except that I do believe the product and development is somewhere down the list.

I said this in another thread, that it really should make us all appreciate the "results-first" approach of the Spurs organization and their culture. They never seem to lose sight of why their objective.

SenorSpur
12-01-2010, 03:11 PM
On another note, am I the only one who is optimistic about the potential prospects of Marcus Cousin, as a future Spur? I really believe there may be something there.

Chump, Bruno and others, I'm especially interested in your thoughts.

Feel free to reel me in if I'm going overboard here.