PDA

View Full Version : How can I pay for school?

Red Hawk #21
12-01-2010, 12:44 AM
I just got accepted to a school in upstate New York, I'm excited but I also have no clue how I'm going to pay for the school. The school I go to now is very cheap, but the social life sux, the activities there suck and the school I just got accepted to has a better program for my major (Journalism). And I'm happy I'm really going to experience dorm life. The total cost (yearly) for my new school is a little over $14,000. My problem is my parents make a lot of money so Im only going to get about $1,500 in Financial Aid. The second issue is that they're highly pissed that I'm going away (Can you believe that shit? smh at these so-called "parents"). So they're not helping me with anything, so I'm doing everything school related on my own.

I was looking into the "Federal Perkins loan" and the most I can get from that is $5,500 which isn't anywhere near enough. The "Subsidized Stafford Loan" varies from $3,500 to $8,500, so this wouldn't be enough either. I'm really confused at what to do at this point tbh. I don't want to get a private loan because the interest rate will most likely be off the charts, and I would need a cosigner anyway (which I don't have). Any advice on what I can do? :(

Dr. Gonzo
12-01-2010, 12:47 AM
Start giving hand jobs.

baseline bum
12-01-2010, 12:52 AM
Declare yourself an independent.

DeadlyDynasty
12-01-2010, 12:56 AM
Syracuse, Rochester, Ithaca, or Clarkston?

or other...

MaNuMaNiAc
12-01-2010, 12:58 AM
Let me get this straight, your parents are refusing to pay your tuition because the school you chose is too far away? are you shitting me? Tell your parents they're douche bags from me buddy.

baseline bum
12-01-2010, 01:00 AM
Let me get this straight, your parents are refusing to pay your tuition because the school you chose is too far away? are you shitting me? Tell your parents they're douche bags from me buddy.

Or he could just declare himself an independent so they can't claim him on their taxes anymore. :lol

TDMVPDPOY
12-01-2010, 01:01 AM
u a guy or girl?

i pay top dollar if ur good with ur mouth and slerp slerp jerk

derp derp

deal crack

baseline bum
12-01-2010, 01:04 AM
declaring yourself an independent doesn't always work. my school counted your parents' income even if you're independent (they said it was so rich students like the OP couldn't just declare themselves independent and get free $)

take stafford and perkins and then get a private loan, through a credit union if possible. and get a job.

Even if you're not living with them at any point? I guess it's worth a shot.

Red Hawk #21
12-01-2010, 01:05 AM

They're morons tbh. You should have seen their reaction when I got my acceptance letter. I was celebrating, happy and all, then I tell them and they both give me this evil look. I felt like shit for days afterwards. They're just mad because they'll no longer be able to watch my every move. This is something I'm not going to forget...

baseline bum
12-01-2010, 01:07 AM
Tell them your backup plan if you can't pay for school is to go backpacking in Mexico.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
12-01-2010, 01:10 AM
Kick your parents in the ass

Or threaten that you'll join the military

DeadlyDynasty
12-01-2010, 01:21 AM
yeah...save the military as a last resort

thispego
12-01-2010, 01:25 AM
lol bullshit, i bet my fucking life your parents end up paying for your school. you're too spoiled and helpless to get it paid for yourself!

Gutter92
12-01-2010, 01:33 AM
or you could join the military and get college paid for

yep, come back in a box and have your parents pay for your funeral rather than your education

solid plan :rolleyes

DeadlyDynasty
12-01-2010, 01:46 AM
tbh get an Rx for adderall and start selling it till you get a decent bankroll. You can make upwards of $20 per pill around exam time. Parlay that decent amount of cash into a small dormroom bookie operation and make bank. College kids gamble like crazy, especially up there. The best part is it's your operation, so you can even manipulate the lines a point or so. As long as you're smart it should fly under the radar and not get you in trouble.

CubanSucks
12-01-2010, 01:52 AM
yep, come back in a box and have your parents pay for your funeral rather than your education

yeah, because everyone in the military is fighting on the front line getting blown up. I'm not sure what the tuition payment policies are for the Navy or Air Force but if you're in either one of those branches you'd probably be better off than all of us living at home. None of our current enemies can even come close to touching our Navy or Air Force

CubanSucks
12-01-2010, 01:55 AM
lol bullshit, i bet my fucking life your parents end up paying for your school. you're too spoiled and helpless to get it paid for yourself!

so you mean he's like 99.9999% of college students?

thispego
12-01-2010, 02:21 AM
yes

Drachen
12-01-2010, 02:51 AM
Or he could just declare himself an independent so they can't claim him on their taxes anymore. :lol

Doesn't matter if he is on their taxes or not.

OP- If you get married, have a kid, join the military, etc, you will be independent in the eyes of the DOE.

All bad choices.

Outside of those, you have to get a judgement declaring your independence.

Other than that Private loans are the way to go.

Drachen
12-01-2010, 02:51 AM
Even if you're not living with them at any point? I guess it's worth a shot.

This also doesn't matter until you are 24, married, kid, etc.

RandomGuy
12-01-2010, 08:41 AM
This also doesn't matter until you are 24, married, kid, etc.

You and CC both have it right.

Financial aid pretty much automatically assumes that if you are under 24, your parents are helping you.

CommanderMcBragg
12-01-2010, 08:51 AM

wuss Another example of the pussification of America.

RandomGuy
12-01-2010, 09:07 AM
I just got accepted to a school in upstate New York, I'm excited but I also have no clue how I'm going to pay for the school. The school I go to now is very cheap, but the social life sux, the activities there suck and the school I just got accepted to has a better program for my major (Journalism). And I'm happy I'm really going to experience dorm life. The total cost (yearly) for my new school is a little over $14,000. My problem is my parents make a lot of money so Im only going to get about $1,500 in Financial Aid. The second issue is that they're highly pissed that I'm going away (Can you believe that shit? smh at these so-called "parents"). So they're not helping me with anything, so I'm doing everything school related on my own.

I was looking into the "Federal Perkins loan" and the most I can get from that is $5,500 which isn't anywhere near enough. The "Subsidized Stafford Loan" varies from $3,500 to $8,500, so this wouldn't be enough either. I'm really confused at what to do at this point tbh. I don't want to get a private loan because the interest rate will most likely be off the charts, and I would need a cosigner anyway (which I don't have). Any advice on what I can do? :(

You are going to have to get a job. There is no other way to fully pay for college otherwise.

Another thing to keep in mind is that tuition is likely to spike for any school that gets money from a state legislature. The much derided federal stimulus package plugged a lot of holes in state 2009 budgets with money from the feds, but will be absent from 2010 state budgets. States are sucking wind this year, and higher education is one of the easier things to cut. (not saying logical or wise, long-term, just politically expedient)

I would recommend finding a security job somewhere with a company that will stick you baby-sitting empty buildings at night.

I did this in the last half of my undergrad studies and it actually brought my GPA *up*. The jobs consisted of essentially being there "just in case". We would walk around the building once an hour, write down something along the lines of "nothing happened" in our log, then get to study for the remainder of the hour. 15-20 minutes worth of work/exercise, then 40-45 minutes of study. Add that up for an 8 hour shift, and one could get in 5-6 hours of study time per DAY. I often ran out of homework to do.

Didn't pay well, but it was easy to work full time, then go to classes. Since you could easily work 30-40 hours because you did all the studying at work, it pulled in enough to pay for a good chunk.

Still needed some loans, though.

Loans+work. Before that it was loans+GI bill. (didn't start college till 26yo)

Not everybody that joins the military will end up in Afghanistan, or dead/wounded. That is only a pretty small % of everybody in the military. The vast majority don't.

The military is paying VERY well by way of enlistment bonuses, and the new GI bill is VERY generous. If you are at all inclined, give it some serious consideration.

(RG = was in the army 89-93)

Be careful about the debt you take on though. If you go that route, get through your studies as fast as possible.

If you want to look into the military, post here for some advice. There are a few vets who can provide some good advice, and help you sift through your options.

RandomGuy
12-01-2010, 09:09 AM
By the by, my parents didn't pay a single cent for my college. I joined the military partially to allow them to support my little sister, two years younger.

Dr. Gonzo
12-01-2010, 09:14 AM
I think I gave the best advice.

Red Hawk #21
12-01-2010, 09:15 AM
I'm starting to wonder something, the school is over $14,000 yearly, but since im transferring there for the spring semester, I should probably need to worry about getting the $7,000 for this semster. That's not too bad then, I'm going to call the school's Financial aid office today just too see what they think of this.

Red Hawk #21
12-01-2010, 09:29 AM

Dude, I seriously doubt they're going to help me at all in this situation. They flip out on me everytime I even bring up the school. She was flipping out on me last week just because I told her I need to send my immunization records to the school

Me: "Hey mom, do you still have any of my old immunization records?"
Mom: "Yes, I think I have them somewhere in my room. What do you need them for?"
Me: I need to send them to my school...
Mom: What school...
Me: The one I just got accepted to.
Mom: I've already told you, you are NOT Fucking going to that school! If you want to go against my word and go, then just know you're going to have to get every single document and pay for every single fucking cent! You hear me boy?! (She seriously said ALL of this)
Me: It's not even that serious mom, why are you and dad so mad that I'm leaving? Most parents would be celebrating at this point, you should be happy for me! I don't understand it.
Mom: Don't give me that Bullshit! Me and your dad have been guiding you your whole entire life, You can't just walk away and leave because you got accepted to some school! Get outta my sight boy!
Me: I'm still gunna leave anyway, the way you act just gives me more motivation to leave *walks away*

Now, tell me that's not a selfish bitch. She nor my dad or gunna pay for anything, I can already see it. It's fine though, I'll find a way to pay for this school. I can't wait to see their faces when I start packing up my suitcases in early January. That's when the shit is gunna hit the fan...

desflood
12-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Get a job and pay for yourself, kid. You're going to college to learn to be a responsible adult, right? There's your first step.

howbouthemspurs
12-01-2010, 09:42 AM
This is very simple! Get a job! Two if you have to! This is part of the experience in growing up; the struggle. You will be better for it.

RandomGuy
12-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Dude, I seriously doubt they're going to help me at all in this situation. They flip out on me everytime I even bring up the school. She was flipping out on me last week just because I told her I need to send my immunization records to the school

Mom: "Yes, I think I have them somewhere in my room. What do you need them for?"
Mom: I've already told you, you are NOT Fucking going to that school! If you want to go against my word and go, then just know you're going to have to get every single document and pay for every single fucking cent! You hear me boy?! (She seriously said ALL of this)
Me: It's not even that serious mom, why are you and dad so mad that I'm leaving? Most parents would be celebrating at this point, you should be happy for me! I don't understand it.
Mom: Don't give me that Bullshit! Me and your dad have been guiding you your whole entire life, You can't just walk away and leave because you got accepted to some school! Get outta my sight boy!
Me: I'm still gunna leave anyway, the way you act just gives me more motivation to leave *walks away*

Now, tell me that's not a selfish bitch. She nor my dad or gunna pay for anything, I can already see it. It's fine though, I'll find a way to pay for this school. I can't wait to see their faces when I start packing up my suitcases in early January. That's when the shit is gunna hit the fan...

Sounds a bit toxic to me.

If you are over 18, then it is fully your perogative.

Do bear in mind that you will have to be paying for food and rent and everything else PLUS the $7000 tuition.

Figure 200-300 per month food, minimum. Rent or dorm room will be on the order of $500 or so, possibly more. Start looking at prices for small apartments.

Add in books, likely around $400 per semester.

Car/transportation expenses are another major concern. Bicycles don't cut it when there is a blizzard. Expect to have to spend money on jackets/boots for the cold weather that most central texans likely don't have. (a nice wool scarf helps more than one might think, btw)

Total living expenses for the semester will likely be in the *rough* neighborhood of $1200/month.

ididnotnothat
12-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Google and do more research on financing and grants. There is a ton of information out there and yes, get a job.

RandomGuy
12-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Rent =$500
Clothes=$35 (running total 535)
Food/laundry=$400 (running total 935)
Transportation=$100+ (running total 1035)
Phone=$80 (running total 1135)
cable/internet acess ($75) (running total 1210)

Start working up a living expenses budget.
Break even for 1210 per month for a job is about $7.00 per hour, full time, 40hrs a week. (average month has 22 working days)
Just to be conservative, just consider 20 working days(an even four weeks), and only able to work 30 hours a week, due to studies.

You have, given the above:

4*30=120 hours to earn enough after-tax income to pay for school.

Tuition and books = $7400 divided by four month semester = 1850/month
Total expenses = 1850+1210= $3060

If you were not to require student aid, that would require $25.50 (after taxes) per hour at that rate. Work 40hrs per week, and that drops to $19.13/hr

These are the calculations you have to start making. Start looking for work, and talk to financial aid a lot.

The Reckoning
12-01-2010, 10:19 AM

deja vu. are you sure you arent 4cc?

he did the same thing and went to indiana. now wishes he would have stayed in tejas...apart from meeting rita and all.

heres some advice. slurp on your parents' tee-tees for as long as you can.

in the long run, being independent and doing your own shit only lands you with over $100,000 in loans, and your parents will laugh at you from their yacht in the caribbean. trust me, theyll have the last laugh (and so will your siblings because their allowance just doubled.)

MaNuMaNiAc
12-01-2010, 10:32 AM
I sincerely wish you the best in sticking it to your parents. They sound like real overprotective assholes.

ididnotnothat
12-01-2010, 10:45 AM
I sincerely wish you the best in sticking it to your parents. They sound like real overprotective assholes.

Sounds like their kid is a real selfish asshole too. Can stay at home and get the help they need.

bus driver
12-01-2010, 11:00 AM
here is your answer

TEXAS LOTTERY (http://www.txlottery.org/export/sites/default/index.html)

est. jackpot for power ball is 95 MILLION!

baseline bum
12-01-2010, 11:02 AM
I never realized it was such a pain in the ass to get listed independent; I just remember seeing it on my FAFSA back in the day. Well, your parents have you over a barrel. Either do what they say or change your major to EE or something that would be worth taking on that kind of debt.

ploto
12-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Not that I agree with your parents, but they do have the right to decide to what school they want to pay your tuition. If you decide to go some place else, especially one that is much more expensive, then it is on you. You seemed to assume that they would cover the cost of this school that costs a lot more than the one you are at.

Decide if it is worth going deeply into debt to go to this school. If so, this is why the school has a financial aid office. See what you can get from them. Get a job.

ashbeeigh
12-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Deadlines have most likely passed already for scholarships and internships. Have you looked into those? As much as fastweb sucks the big one for social work it's not that bad for other programs. And don't hate on me for suggesting twitter, but journalists are all over the place there. search for some jobs there. You may be able to find some social media gig online over break to cover expenses.

TLU was about $14,000 a semester. My parents covered a bit of it without taking out PLUS loans, but I stil have close to $36,000 in student loans from it plus now grad school...so just consider whether "the social life" is really worth dealing with all that extra added debt. It could be fun but is it really worth it? I decided yes, but for some people it's just not possible.

Mixability
12-01-2010, 12:27 PM
PM Jimcs50

Red Hawk #21
12-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Sounds like their kid is a real selfish asshole too. Can stay at home and get the help they need.

Really? I'm an asshole for wanting a better education so I can get a better job in a tough economy? I'm an asshole for wanting to not be stressed every fucking day by my parents? I wish you could see the BS my parents put me through, it's funny how they always told me "If you don't like things around here GTFO" And now that I want to GTFO, they don't want me to leave. :bang

ididnotnothat
12-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Really? I'm an asshole for wanting a better education so I can get a better job in a tough economy? I'm an asshole for wanting to not be stressed every fucking day by my parents? I wish you could see the BS my parents put me through, it's funny how they always told me "If you don't like things around here GTFO" And now that I want to GTFO, they don't want me to leave. :bang

No, you are an asshole for expecting them to pay and I'm sure you've given them plenty of BS that they have had to deal with. It may not be that they don't want you to leave but not to leave for this reason. They may be to blame since they may have spoiled you and now you feel "entitiled" but WTF knows. Any how I do wish you luck and yeah, one would think they would support your education with a much better attitude.

Red Hawk #21
12-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Not that I agree with your parents, but they do have the right to decide to what school they want to pay your tuition. If you decide to go some place else, especially one that is much more expensive, then it is on you. You seemed to assume that they would cover the cost of this school that costs a lot more than the one you are at.

Decide if it is worth going deeply into debt to go to this school. If so, this is why the school has a financial aid office. See what you can get from them. Get a job.

I never expected them to pay all of my school expenses, I at least thought they would help me with something though. They're idiots though because they always talk about me taking care of them when they're old lol. And $14,000 a year is very reasonable for college. I have heard of college expenses way worse than this. I'm going to call my new school's financial aid office in a few minutes and explain my situation.

And I don't plan on taking loans out my whole four years there, my GPA is a 3.0 right now, I'm hoping to get scholarships/grants later on as soon as I can get my GPA a little higher. And the school I go to now doesn't offer a good program for my major, which is crucial. Let's see..

Pros
Good Program for Journalism Major
Decent college expenses ($14,000 and sum change per year)
A chance to get away from my douchebag parents and learn to live on my own.
Good Social life and girls :toast

Cons
Chances of being in debt if things don't work out right.
Having to pay the entire cost of my college education.

Red Hawk #21
12-01-2010, 01:01 PM
No, you are an asshole for expecting them to pay and I'm sure you've given them plenty of BS that they have had to deal with. It may not be that they don't want you to leave but not to leave for this reason. They may be to blame since they may have spoiled you and now you feel "entitiled" but WTF knows. Any how I do wish you luck and yeah, one would think they would support your education with a much better attitude.

When did I say anything about them having to pay? I'm actually more disappointed in them not being happy for me than I am about not paying for my school. These are the same folks who talk about how I'm going to have to take care of them when they're old. So isn't it fair that they at least help me out with something? That's not being an asshole, your argument fails.

Bender
12-01-2010, 02:43 PM
get different parents

ididnotnothat
12-01-2010, 03:07 PM
When did I say anything about them having to pay? I'm actually more disappointed in them not being happy for me than I am about not paying for my school. These are the same folks who talk about how I'm going to have to take care of them when they're old. So isn't it fair that they at least help me out with something? That's not being an asshole, your argument fails.

They've helped you for the past 18 years and you want more? Write an essay about how shitty they are as parents and prove your point on how you need more journalism skills.

CubanSucks
12-01-2010, 03:17 PM
heres some advice. slurp on your parents' tee-tees for as long as you can.

in the long run, being independent and doing your own shit only lands you with over $100,000 in loans, and your parents will laugh at you from their yacht in the caribbean. trust me, theyll have the last laugh (and so will your siblings because their allowance just doubled.)

baseline bum
12-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Seriously, you have a good deal with your parents paying for the other school. You can't transfer to a better school than your current one closer to home or that they approve of?

Viva Las Espuelas
12-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Hang in there, lil' buddy. Soon college education will be a right. Stay the course!!!

CosmicCowboy
12-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Journalism?

Theres your first mistake.

You realize that career ain't what it used to be, right? Newspapers going broke, cutting staff, cutting salaries, etc.

Its a total waste of 4 years and you will still end up flipping burgers.

JoeChalupa
12-01-2010, 04:03 PM
I have a 16 yr old that we've already begun researching for financial aid and grants. I hope we don't become "shitty" parents.

ALVAREZ6
12-01-2010, 04:09 PM
sucks having retards for parents

CuckingFunt
12-01-2010, 04:09 PM
This is very simple! Get a job! Two if you have to! This is part of the experience in growing up; the struggle. You will be better for it.

Let's keep in mind part of the reason he's changing schools is to have a better social life.

Which is telling.

CuckingFunt
12-01-2010, 04:17 PM
I never realized it was such a pain in the ass to get listed independent; I just remember seeing it on my FAFSA back in the day. Well, your parents have you over a barrel. Either do what they say or change your major to EE or something that would be worth taking on that kind of debt.

It's a ridiculous pain. And actually one of the reasons I ended up waiting so long to go back to a 4-year university.

Which actually brings up another option. If the school you're interested in has it as an option, you could always defer enrollment for a year (or however long they allow) and take general ed classes at a local JC while working. If it's an option, it would make it possible to stay at home long enough for your parents to chill out while saving money for the move and more expensive school. Additionally, with general ed largely out of the way, you wouldn't have to pay the high tuition for as many years and you'd still get the degree from your school of choice. Could be a win-win, but depends on deferment options.

Or, hell, don't bother with deferment and still do the JC option. If you got into the school now, it's doubtful you'd be rejected if you applied again in a year or two.

JoeChalupa
12-01-2010, 04:17 PM
My parents didn't pay for any college and they are far from being shitty parents. My dad was old school though never got past the 6th grade and thought a HS diploma was an awesome achievement.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Journalism?

Theres your first mistake.

You realize that career ain't what it used to be, right? Newspapers going broke, cutting staff, cutting salaries, etc.

Its a total waste of 4 years and you will still end up flipping burgers.

Yeah. Plus, if I'm not mistaken this is the dude that nuts over pinChé, so............

ALVAREZ6
12-01-2010, 04:22 PM
My parents didn't pay for any college and they are far from being shitty parents. My dad was old school though never got past the 6th grade and thought a HS diploma was an awesome achievement.

Really, your dad lived during his time period. Times have obviously changed.

JoeChalupa
12-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Really, your dad lived during his time period. Times have obviously changed.

No doubt about it. He still doesn't understand that it ain't like it used to be where you could get out of HS and go straight to the GM factory and make the big bucks.

TinTin
12-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Start giving hand jobs to Ghazi.

Fixed

YoungB
12-01-2010, 06:21 PM
You guys telling him to get a job or get two jobs if necessary simply aren't thinking rationally..no matter how many jobs he gets at minimum wage it's simply impossible to cover all the costs necessary to live on your own. Like someone pointed out we are talking several hundred bucks a month for food, 500 for housing, gas money, utilities, other needs that pop up, books, etc. It's just too hard these days to try to put yourself through college without your parents help while still being listed as a DEPENDENT. If you are seriously going to try to do it on your own, you need to be declared as an independent so you can get the proper student aid.

And even if you could possibly afford all of your living expenses on minimum wage, good luck staying focused on school and finding productive study time while you're exhausted from a full-time work week. School is hard enough and a psychology professor once had a class-long discussion with us about how college is designed for FULL TIME students, meaning that they write the books, tests, etc under the assumption that you are a full time student and are there only to learn without any other major responsibilities. School is supposed to be your MAIN FOCUS while you are in college. While a journalism or liberal arts major may be able to get by working full time with no troubles, try earning a CPA, engineering degree, etc while working full time. I tried the working full time plus going to school full time thing once, and it sucks. After about 6 months I was ready to drop dead. My advice would be to suck it up and cooperate with your parents because they are your best friends at this point in life.

YoungB
12-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Not to mention I believe technically you are supposed to spend at least 2 hours outside of class each week studying for every 1 credit hour. So for a typical 3 credit hour course, you are required to study for 6 hours a week. For a student's carrying a 15 hour load (5 courses), this is 30 hours of studying a week, not counting the time spent in the classroom.

Red Hawk #21
12-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Let's keep in mind part of the reason he's changing schools is to have a better social life.

Which is telling.

What's wrong with that? Is it wrong to want to go to a school that has more activities and excitement? You must be old.

CuckingFunt
12-01-2010, 07:14 PM
What's wrong with that? Is it wrong to want to go to a school that has more activities and excitement? You must be old.

No. There's nothing wrong with that.

It is, however, a fact that can probably be used as indication of your priorities and/or willingness to spend your free time working two jobs to pay for school.

DeadlyDynasty
12-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Fixed

Shiiiiiiiiiiit, that would pay his way to medical school

YoungB
12-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Stay home and you'll thank yourself 10 years from now when you're not in a ridiculous amount of debt. I know it's hard for an 18-20 year old to plan that far ahead, but seriously, do the math and put it all into perspective.

Leetonidas
12-01-2010, 07:21 PM

You think it would be that easy huh? Well, I don't know about wherever he may live, but here in Texas, even if you file as an independent, like myself, because I am under the age of 24 the state considers me a dependent only for school and says most of my tuition should come from my parents, which is fucking bullshit.

Leetonidas
12-01-2010, 07:23 PM

Yeah if you're willing to spend 14,000 a year of your own cash or be badly in debt for the rest of your life for those "activities and excitement."

Red Hawk #21
12-01-2010, 07:25 PM
No. There's nothing wrong with that.

It is, however, a fact that can probably be used as indication of your priorities and/or willingness to spend your free time working two jobs to pay for school.

Well, I don't think It would be wise to work 2 jobs, since I need time to study. But I will definitely get a job to help pay for school. Thing is I need to get a scholarship so I can't work too much and risk my grades dropping.

MannyIsGod
12-01-2010, 07:28 PM
It's a ridiculous pain. And actually one of the reasons I ended up waiting so long to go back to a 4-year university.

Which actually brings up another option. If the school you're interested in has it as an option, you could always defer enrollment for a year (or however long they allow) and take general ed classes at a local JC while working. If it's an option, it would make it possible to stay at home long enough for your parents to chill out while saving money for the move and more expensive school. Additionally, with general ed largely out of the way, you wouldn't have to pay the high tuition for as many years and you'd still get the degree from your school of choice. Could be a win-win, but depends on deferment options.

Or, hell, don't bother with deferment and still do the JC option. If you got into the school now, it's doubtful you'd be rejected if you applied again in a year or two.

I can rant for fucking hours on this bullshit. It pisses me off so god damn much.

MannyIsGod
12-01-2010, 07:29 PM
A lot of scholarships require a 3.0 to apply but you're not going to get money thrown at you with a 3.0. You're going to need much higher.

MannyIsGod
12-01-2010, 07:30 PM
You think it would be that easy huh? Well, I don't know about wherever he may live, but here in Texas, even if you file as an independent, like myself, because I am under the age of 24 the state considers me a dependent only for school and says most of my tuition should come from my parents, which is fucking bullshit.

It is utter and complete bullshit. I feel for you because i went through that shit. Its one of the main reasons I left school when I was young and then went back at a much later age. I worked a few semesters at a full time job and went to school full time and it was not fun.

Leetonidas
12-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Yeah I already work almost 40 hours a week and I go to school full-time. It's a pain in the ass, but not much else I can do. My parents haven't given me any money for school since they're poor and in debt themselves, so I'm pretty fucked.

YoungB
12-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Yeah I already work almost 40 hours a week and I go to school full-time. It's a pain in the ass, but not much else I can do. My parents haven't given me any money for school since they're poor and in debt themselves, so I'm pretty fucked.

At least you got a girl to help pay for expenses IIRC.

Leetonidas
12-01-2010, 08:06 PM
At least you got a girl to help pay for expenses IIRC.

Yeah but she works at Petsmart...and she has plenty of her own stuff to pay for. :lol But yeah, it helps, especially with food and stuff, but then again we have a bunch of pets too. :depressed

CubanSucks
12-01-2010, 11:26 PM
I can rant for fucking hours on this bullshit. It pisses me off so god damn much.

what's wrong with it?

GoodOdor
12-02-2010, 02:57 AM
Damn, you poor suckers make me appreciate my parents sending me to a college of my choice and paying all of the tuition+a generous allowance:toast

ALVAREZ6
12-02-2010, 03:03 AM
:lol
Damn, you poor suckers make me appreciate my parents sending me to a college of my choice and paying all of the tuition+a generous allowance:toast

DeadlyDynasty
12-02-2010, 04:23 AM
Yeah but she works at Petsmart...and she has plenty of her own stuff to pay for. :lol But yeah, it helps, especially with food and stuff, but then again we have a bunch of pets too. :depressed

Sounds like it's time to draw straws on some of your pets.

JoeChalupa
12-02-2010, 08:19 AM
We'll be helping in any way we can to get our girls through college.

CommanderMcBragg
12-02-2010, 11:33 AM
I'd go Navy if were advising my kids and the Military is not a bad option. There is college money in all the Branches.

CommanderMcBragg
12-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Yeah, but he wants to go to college, not Afghanistan.

There are many in the military right now that are doing both.

CubanSucks
12-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Yeah, but he wants to go to college, not Afghanistan.

yeah, because everyone in the military is fighting on the front line getting blown up. I'm not sure what the tuition payment policies are for the Navy or Air Force but if you're in either one of those branches you'd probably be better off than all of us living at home. None of our current enemies can even come close to touching our Navy or Air Force

Drachen
12-02-2010, 02:46 PM
I found this to be quite topical.... really think about your expected returns on this investment. I still think it is a good (but much harder) idea to leave the womb and go it alone, but really think about your financing options and do some real research on jobs available, pay, etc. Oh and as far as the military, if you join, and go for journalism, you could become Private Joker!!!

Anyway here you go.
http://finance.yahoo.com/college-education/article/111460/is-the-college-debt-bubble-ready-to-explode

Over the last decade, private lenders, abetted by college financial aid offices, eagerly handed young people hundreds of thousands of dollars to earn bachelor's degrees. The student loan bubble may be about to burst.

In some respects, the student loan crisis looks remarkably like the subprime mortgage crisis. First, outstanding student loan debt has ballooned: It grew roughly four-fold in the last decade to $833 billion as of June — surpassing outstanding credit card debt for the first time.

Secondly, defaults have soared amid the difficult job market. In 2008, the most recent year for which data are available, nearly 3.4 million borrowers began repayment, and more than 238,000 defaulted on their loans. The number of loans that went into forbearance or deferment (when borrowers receive temporary relief from payments) rose to 22 percent in 2007, from 10 percent a decade earlier, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education. Over a 15-year period, default rates range from 20 percent for federal loans to 40 percent on loans to students who attend for-profit schools, The Chronicle found.

Just as lenders offered easy no-money-down mortgages to unqualified borrowers, private student loan firms offered instant online approval for up to 100 percent of college costs to students, in some cases for four consecutive years. In early 2007, half of the loans made by Sallie Mae, one of the industry's biggest players, were to students with no co-signers, according to Mark Kantrowitz, founder of the informational Web site finaid.org.

As tuition costs have outpaced the caps on federal loans, more families have turned to private loans, which carry higher interest rates and stricter repayment rules. Last year private lenders supplied about $10 billion in loans (compared with $100 billion in federal loans). A study by the College Board found about a third of graduates in 2007-2008 had private loans. About two dozen private lenders offer student loans, and their business is growing at 25 percent annually, after a temporary decline amid the recent credit crisis, according to finaid.org.

As a result of easy credit, declining grants and soaring tuitions, more than two-thirds of students graduated with debt in 2008 — up from 45 percent in 1993. The average amount is $24,000, according to the Project on Student Debt.

Tales of beleaguered borrowers abound. Kelli Space, 23, borrowed nearly $200,000 to get a bachelor's degree in sociology from Northeastern University — $12,000 in federal loans and $189,000 from Sallie Mae. Space, who lives with her parents and works full-time, started a Web site called TwoHundredThou.com, soliciting donations to help meet her debt obligation, which comes to $891 monthly. That number rises to $1,600 next November.

Go to link for more...

Red Hawk #21
12-05-2010, 11:17 PM
Well, I've spoken with the Financial Aid office of the school. The estimated cost for this semester is about $9,700. My Financial aid will cover about $2,000 of it, and im hoping I can comibine loans/grants for the remaining $7,700. Hopefully I can get a job on campus so I can work to have some change in my pocket, and pay back some of the loans.

CuckingFunt
12-05-2010, 11:22 PM
work to have some change in my pocket, and pay back some of the loans.

Good luck with that.

Red Hawk #21
12-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Good luck with that.

Thanks. :toast

Das Texan
12-05-2010, 11:33 PM
wont you need some change to pay for your new and improved social life anyway?

Red Hawk #21
12-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Don't worry I have it covered bro, thanks.

YoungB
12-05-2010, 11:52 PM
18 year old thinks he has it all covered :lol

Red Hawk #21
12-05-2010, 11:59 PM
19 year old tbh

Leetonidas
12-06-2010, 12:22 AM
No offense brah but you're a dumbass and seriously setting yourself up for some future problems.

Red Hawk #21
12-06-2010, 12:36 AM
No offense brah but you're a dumbass and seriously setting yourself up for some future problems.

I'm a dumbass for taking out a $4,500 loan? How bout getting your facts straight before you decide to talk shit. I don't see how getting such a loan affects YOU in any way.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-06-2010, 12:50 AM
PM Jimcs50

underrated

Leetonidas
12-06-2010, 12:57 AM
I'm a dumbass for taking out a $4,500 loan? How bout getting your facts straight before you decide to talk shit. I don't see how getting such a loan affects YOU in any way.

Yes you are you fucking ignorant retard. But hey it doesn't, you just posted a thread asking for advice numbnuts, which you obviously didn't listen to. Enjoy your debt. :toast

Vici
12-06-2010, 01:02 AM
$4500 per semester is really stupid, especially if your parents are paying for things now. Sack up and finish your worthless degree while it's free.

David Stern
02-07-2011, 05:24 PM
So what did you decide to do and how are you holding up?

Jacob1983
02-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Sell your soul, win the lottery, or find a pot of gold.

JayTheClown
02-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Declare yourself an independent.

This

Then register for a government grant

TDMVPDPOY
02-07-2011, 07:34 PM
heard his suckn dick to get by these days

Drachen
02-07-2011, 07:36 PM
This

Then register for a government grant

Not trying to be an ass, but go ahead and read the rest of this thread before continuing with that response. The reason why this doesn't work has already been discussed.

Creepn
02-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Sooooo.... did you go to NY for the current semester?

My advice would be to sell some weed. Couldn't believe how easy money is from selling weed.

Leetonidas
02-07-2011, 10:28 PM
He's probably working the corner to make ends meet at this point.

SnakeBoy
02-08-2011, 12:17 AM
The school I go to now is very cheap, but the social life sux, the activities there suck and the school I just got accepted to has a better program for my major (Journalism).

You're parents are smart not to pay your way.

Red Hawk #21
02-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Me and my folks eventually worked things out and they helped me pay for my school this semester. I guess it just took them awhile to see what I was doing wasn't so bad. They warned me heavily though, about focusing on my goals and not getting carried away. Dorm life has been great so far, but my main goal now is getting a scholarship.