PDA

View Full Version : Giants To Sign Tejada

symple19
12-01-2010, 02:48 AM
Well, since Uribe has gone to the hated Dodgers, Tejada will be the SS in SF

Guy still has a pretty good bat, as evidenced by him being the second most productive hitter behind A-Gonz down the stretch for the Pads last season. He's probably lost some range with the glove, however.

Miggy is coming home to the Bay Area, older and perhaps wiser, but definitely as a shortstop.

After losing postseason hero Juan Uribe to the Dodgers despite offering him a three-year, $20 million deal, the Giants have agreed to a one-year contract with Miguel Tejada with plans to make him their everyday shortstop, sources confirmed.

Tejada told ESPN Deportes the value is $6.5 million. He still needs to pass a physical.

Tejada will turn 37 in May, ancient in shortstop years, but the club views him as a still reliable infielder who can provide production at the plate while serving as a bridge to prospects Brandon Crawford and Ehire Adrianza.

Tejada played in 156 games last season with Baltimore and San Diego, came to the plate 681 times, played 57 games at shortstop for the Padres down the stretch and drove in 71 runs, 14 fewer than Uribe.

The Giants again are willing to sacrifice some defense in return for production, which worked during their 2010 championship season. Uribe is no longer viewed as an everyday shortstop but played there creditably during Edgar Renteria's three trips to the disabled list.

Tejada started his career with Oakland in 1997 and was one of the majors' best-hitting shortstops during his seven seasons with the A's. After 2003 he signed a six-year, $72 million contract with the Orioles and drove in 150 runs in his first season.

He was named in the Mitchell Report and in 2009 pleaded guilty to one federal count of lying to Congress about his use of performance-enhancing drugs. He was sentenced to probation and community service and fined.

Uribe's three-year, $21 million deal with the Dodgers became official Tuesday. In a conference call, Uribe thanked Giants fans for their "affection," which drove him to succeed. However, he said three times he had "no control" over what the Giants were willing to do.

The Chronicle has learned that the Giants offered Uribe a three-year, $20 million deal that, at the time, matched a Dodgers offer. That makes it sound as though the Giants backed away over $1 million, but Uribe reportedly wanted $25 million to return to a team he helped to a title.

General manager Brian Sabean would not discuss any numbers but said, "He obviously wanted to be a Dodger more than he wanted to be a Giant. He didn't give us a chance to keep pace (in negotiations)."

Sabean examined a variety of trade and free-agent options before picking Tejada but denied a Wall Street Journal report that he called agent Casey Close to discuss Derek Jeter. Sabean said he called to discuss another Close client, Mike Fontenot.

Uribe was asked if he understood why fans were angry that he went to the archrival Dodgers.

"I'd like to say I have no control over a team I played for," he said through an interpreter. "Sometimes the fans don't understand that. I played 100 percent with all my emotions because the San Francisco fans treated me well every day I went on the field. They showed me their affection, and that's why I gave 100 percent."

The Dodgers have been the most active team in the majors this offseason. They made an aggressive run at Aubrey Huff before he re-signed with the Giants last week for two years at $22 million and went just as hard at Uribe.

General manager Ned Colletti said he called Uribe's agent as soon as the World Series ended and had Dodgers coach Manny Mota, a fellow Dominican, phone Uribe to recruit him.

Colletti said he was attracted to Uribe's versatility on the infield, his bat and his clubhouse leadership, and denied he was merely trying to break up the champs.

"Everything I do is based on trying to make our club better. It doesn't matter who they played for," Colletti said. "You see guys who played in the postseason and were successful in the postseason, sure, that contributes to who they are."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/11/30/SP191GJN31.DTL#ixzz16qOCTW6j

symple19
12-01-2010, 02:50 AM
Miggy was great in Oaktown, but since all the roid stuff he hasn't been as prolific offensively. I know you Houston fans have seen him recently, whaddya think?

Dr. Gonzo
12-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Watching him play for Houston all I could think of is how much he needed the roids. He is serviceable. He would make a good utility IF but he just isn't very good anymore.

symple19
12-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Watching him play for Houston all I could think of is how much he needed the roids. He is serviceable. He would make a good utility IF but he just isn't very good anymore.

Yeah, that's probably about right. Good thing the Giants have some decent looking prospects at SS in their system

99-03-05-07
12-02-2010, 12:47 AM
yeah but i think we paid Tejada to much. IMO

EricB
12-07-2010, 01:50 AM
overpaid and at a position he cant field well anymore