PDA

View Full Version : No Intentional Foul Last Night

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-25-2005, 11:56 AM
I know all's well that end's well, but why on earth did the Spurs not just foul Nash rather than risking a three at the end? Granted they guarded Nash a little better than the Mavs did in their game six at the end of regulation (which is to say that they actually bothered to guard Nash), but I really don't understand that call, and if he'd hit that shot I know I wouldn't be the only one asking this question today.

nkdlunch
05-25-2005, 12:00 PM
I think they did not expect Suns to get a close to decent shot, w/4 seconds left and having to run the length of the court. I think they were a little surprised Nash was able to run so fast and get that shot off but Spurs did a good job in contesting it.

Slomo
05-25-2005, 12:00 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16704

SWC Bonfire
05-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Um, have you noticed the Spurs' track record with inbounds three-pointers in a catch-and-shoot situation? Ray Allen damn near hit one the other day. What needed to happen, happened: TP made him run around for his life, and when help was needed Bowen stepped up and switched off onto him. All in real time.

It's a real luxury that Pop can allow his players to do this without instruction so that time can tick off the clock. If they intentionally foul, the Suns might have enough time (with a home clock operator) to back a miss coming from the shooter firing off the inbounds pass.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-25-2005, 12:03 PM
How can they be surprised by Nash's speed? He's been running circles around the NBA for the last three years! The only possible explanation I can come up is that Pop had faith in the Spurs D and in Nash's fatigue. The D was pretty damn good, but you hate to take the chance that the refs could have whistled one of the Spurs while he's shooting. Granted I don't think any of the refs would have, but this is the playoffs, and the Spurs know all to well that crazy shit can happen at the end of the game.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-25-2005, 12:06 PM
You guys make some good points, and thanks for posting the link to the other thread. Sorry if I'm coming across as redundant. I can see your lines of thinking, but I still think they should have fouled.

1Parker1
05-25-2005, 12:29 PM
If they fouled him, Nash is a great FT shooter, he could have made the first, intentionally miss the second to let the Suns get an offensive rebound and a putback--I''d rather take my chance with him running up the court and taking a contested 3 pointer.

easjer
05-25-2005, 12:40 PM
Honey, we watched that last night. Remember? Tony was *trying* to foul him - he just had that arm up all the way down, and he was *fast* - it would have sucked if he'd hit it, but the poor guy couldn't have played well enough in OT for it to have mattered, I think. I think after the way the fourth was played, the Spurs fairly well had it locked down.

As you began though, all's well that end's well.

MiNuS
05-25-2005, 12:40 PM
basketball sometimes is a game of luck.

I'd take my chances with TP and Rash guarding Nash any day.

MVP is starting to be a bad word.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-25-2005, 12:42 PM
It's one of the only weaknesses in Pop's defensive strategy. We watched Tmac kill us earlier this year when we could have just fouled him, sent him to the line, and won.

I'd love for Pop to employ this strategy when we're up 3-4 with only a few seconds left. Just let them run off clock getting it down to the offensive end, then send them to the line.

MiNuS
05-25-2005, 12:43 PM
Hey talking about MVP.

Let's not forget that not only do the Spurs have two-time NBA MVP Tim Duncan but also 1x Italian basketball MVP and MVP in Athens Manu Ginobli!

spur219
05-25-2005, 01:07 PM
I wouldnt of fouled. Especially Nash. He would of sunk both FT's and the Suns would of only been down by 1. Then the Spurs would quickly get fouled. I think it was the smart move.

dcole50
05-25-2005, 01:21 PM
we defended nash incredibly well, so i like the call. with bruce and manu (or tony? i can't remember right now) in his face, i'd argue that he misses that shot 9 times out of ten. i'd be too scared that the refs would claim a foul was in the act of shooting and nash would calmly sink all three free throws had we opted to foul.

nkdlunch
05-25-2005, 01:24 PM
I wouldnt of fouled. Especially Nash. He would of sunk both FT's and the Suns would of only been down by 1. Then the Spurs would quickly get fouled. I think it was the smart move.

Exactly, Spurs are bad free throw shooters. We didn't want to make it a FT contest.

MadDog73
05-25-2005, 01:32 PM
Exactly, Spurs are bad free throw shooters. We didn't want to make it a FT contest.

Not only that, but we were out of time outs too. What if Nash pu up a shot while being fouled? Or missed a free throw and got a put back?

Nope. Good play by the Spurs, and awesome defense by Bowen and Tony (I was soooo afraid they'd call a foul on one of them...)

GoSpurs21
05-25-2005, 03:07 PM
I know all's well that end's well, but why on earth did the Spurs not just foul Nash rather than risking a three at the end? Granted they guarded Nash a little better than the Mavs did in their game six at the end of regulation (which is to say that they actually bothered to guard Nash), but I really don't understand that call, and if he'd hit that shot I know I wouldn't be the only one asking this question today.Unlike you, Pop and some of the fans here are confident in the Spurs ability to play defense
We are not the Mavericks

NO NEED TO FOUL

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-25-2005, 03:09 PM
I was confident in the Spurs ability to play defense on T-Mac and Derek Fisher. And let's face it, with the ball in the hands of a player as good as Nash there is no such thing as a sure bet. I'm not doubting the Spurs D, just the call in this situation.

sa_butta
05-25-2005, 03:16 PM
Not only that, but we were out of time outs too. What if Nash pu up a shot while being fouled? Or missed a free throw and got a put back?

Nope. Good play by the Spurs, and awesome defense by Bowen and Tony (I was soooo afraid they'd call a foul on one of them...)agreed had he attempted a shot and gotten fouled we may have been in OT.

CosmicCowboy
05-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Good call by Pop...They knew it had to be a three and with the time remaining that there was a 99% chance that Nash would take the shot...with four seconds left they could double Nash with Bowen without worrying about him dumping the ball off...Nash just showed incredible poise even getting the off balance shot off...and as stated previously, if they had fouled Nash he would have made the first one and intentionally missed the second...and there was a better than 50% chance that with his athleticism Stoudamire would get the rebound for the flush...If Tim tried to block it he would pick up his sixth foul and be out of the game for the overtime plus Stoudamire would get two free throws and he shoots them very well...Pop just trusted his defense...

rwb
05-26-2005, 12:13 AM
Personally I hate the intentional foul. It clogs up the last minute of the game and takes the excitement out of slugging it out til the end. I understand it, I just don't like it. Even when a game is virtually out of reach it seems to be the automatic thing to do any more.