PDA

View Full Version : Magic talking trade for Gilbert Arenas

duncan228
12-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Magic talking trade for Gilbert Arenas (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/01/magic-talking-trade-for-gilbert-arenas/)
Kurt Helin

The Orlando Magic and Washington Wizards are discussing a trade that would bring Gilbert Arenas to Florida (http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2010/12/1/1847994/source-orlando-magic-discuss-gilbert-arenas-trade-with-washington), according to the reliable Orlando Pinstriped Post.

What Orlando would send Washington in return for the three-time All-Star is less clear, but the proposed deal likely includes shooting guard Vince Carter, according to a source. Wizards big man Andray Blatche, Magic forward Rashard Lewis, and Magic center Daniel Orton could also be involved. Both teams have a mutual understanding of what the trade might include, the source says, and it’s unclear what factors are holding up the trade. What is clear around the league, however, is that Magic President of Basketball Operations Otis Smith has his eye on Arenas. If Orlando is to make a major trade this season, Arenas will likely be the target.

That the Magic are still looking for a move that will put them over the top of Boston, Los Angeles and — theoretically — Miami was reported (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/29/report-magic-still-looking-to-make-blockbuster-move/) earlier this week.

Still, this seems like a bit of a longshot.

First and foremost, Gilbert Arenas brings a major price tag — he makes nearly $18 million this season and has three years, $61 million left after this season on his deal (if he picks up his player option, which he will). Carter can be a cost savings (which is why Washington would love this deal), Carter is scheduled to make almost the same as Arenas next year but the deal can be bought out for $4 million. With Arenas, you are on the hook for all of it.

The other question becomes — are you really getting an upgrade? Compare this season’s stats from Arenas and Carter and you see very similar production (to sum up, Carter’s PER is 15.8, Arenas 15.7). I get Orlando may be thinking Carter can’t be the secondary playmaker and creator they need — but do they really think Arenas can be that guy?

Still, the talk is out there.

jestersmash
12-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Gilbert Arenas @ $18 million is the joke of the league, second perhaps only to Rashard Lewis' absurd contract.

Not to mention he's been playing for a joke team for his entire career. It takes time to get accustomed to the pressures/expectations of a championship-caliber team like the Magic.

That's why I was extremely impressed with Gasol's performance when he first went to the Lakers. Guy's efficiency skyrocketed and he's been shooting above his career FG% ever since. That doesn't appear to be the norm, though.

HarlemHeat37
12-01-2010, 02:36 PM
They have been talking Arenas trade since last year, Otis Smith is a big fan of his..

The problem here is that he gets paid too much and would be a horrible fit next to Nelson..Carter has been pretty good this year, and he fits better next to Nelson..wouldn't make much sense to me, but Otis Smith makes a lot of puzzling moves..

This would be a great deal for the Wizards..Vince is an expiring contract and they would be able to move Arenas's horrible contract..it would also allow Wall to take over the team..

Giuseppe
12-01-2010, 02:36 PM
And Arenas is now way over weight. He can't move.

DeadlyDynasty
12-01-2010, 02:37 PM
One overrated, no-defense playing vag for another, imo

lefty
12-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Otis Smith is a shitty GM

DPG21920
12-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Say what you will, but Arenas is much better than Vince at this point in time. You can see it when Wall misses time.

I love the move for Wash for obvious reasons, but even though Gil is a better player than Vince, this is a dicey move. But it's clear Gil needs to play for a contender. Rebuilding with Gil on your team is just bad for everyone.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-01-2010, 02:42 PM
No one deserves to go through that contract Arenas has.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-01-2010, 02:43 PM
The Magic could be the home to the two most overpaid players in the league.

Cane
12-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Orlando's financial situation until Dwight's contract expires really isn't that great but then again so are Gil's and Shard's contracts.

If I was the Magic I'd go for the trade though, Gilbert would be a better fit and player than Vince and Shard's proven he doesn't really do much against the Lakers and Celtics...Shard is also a shell of his former self and imo much worse than Gilbert Arenas. The Wizards are probably just itching for this to go through although having Shard on the books isn't exactly great either.

Its still not enough to be an elite contender but the Magic really don't have the assets or flexibility to become one, and they can't just stay pat either since they know they aren't there yet and I suppose they have to show Dwight that they are at least trying. In the near future I see this just turning out to be another Lebron Cavs/Antawn Jamison situation though - works in the regular season but falls short in the playoffs and with the inflexible financial situation and losing...they'll probably lose their superstar in Dwight much like LeBron left the Cavs.

HarlemHeat37
12-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Arenas is better than Carter, but he's a worse fit and makes them really small on the perimeter..

If they moved Nelson, it would make more sense..

DPG21920
12-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Ehh, I don't think them getting smaller is an issue. I agree with the fit, although I don't think it would be worse. I just think it would be a lateral move fit wise.

Contact wise, if they included Shard, the Magic would only be taking on 1 year/17M which sucks, but not terrible.

I would rather pay Gil than Shard at this point.

Trill Clinton
12-01-2010, 02:53 PM
This would be a good trade for both parties.

Cane
12-01-2010, 02:55 PM
The backcourt would be smaller but I think it'd be better, tbh not really sure what Vince's size is doing for the Magic. The Magic also have a lot of decently sized wing players on the bench. Arenas and Nelson might be decent match ups against the Celtics backcourt as well since they're not big either. Keeping both Shard and VC is just asking for similar results as last year and giving another reason for Dwight to consider other organizations.

j.dizzle
12-01-2010, 02:56 PM
LMAO some of you are acting like Lewis plays like a legit 6"10 player..He's trash that just sits out on the perimeter, plays barely any D & is exremely soft..Orl needs some harder nosed players with attitude. Pierce was right when he called them a bunch of poodles hahaha

8FOR!3
12-01-2010, 03:01 PM
I think the trade makes sense for both teams imo. It would be big if Orlando could get rid of Rashard Lewis' contract and John Wall and Vince Carter is a better 1-2 punch than Wall/Arenas. Arenas is still better than Lewis and if he can get his act together and get in shape he could still be a legit player. He's not old and shouldn't be slowing down.

DJ Mbenga
12-01-2010, 03:09 PM
sounds like if he wants to dump lewis with him otherwise no deal. this wont happen. they do need to get rid of carter. when redick plays they are much better. they need a 4. maybe thats why they want blatche. too bad his defense sucks:

CZsgq7uGRpI

Trill Clinton
12-01-2010, 03:15 PM
LMAO some of you are acting like Lewis plays like a legit 6"10 player..He's trash that just sits out on the perimeter, plays barely any D & is exremely soft..Orl needs some harder nosed players with attitude. Pierce was right when he called them a bunch of poodles hahaha

True, RL's best years were in Seattle.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-01-2010, 03:21 PM
sounds like if he wants to dump lewis with him otherwise no deal. this wont happen. they do need to get rid of carter. when redick plays they are much better. they need a 4. maybe thats why they want blatche. too bad his defense sucks:

CZsgq7uGRpI

Is he being serious with that weak shit?

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Arenas is way over-payed, and Rashard Lewis.......fuck no.

bus driver
12-01-2010, 04:28 PM
One overrated, no-defense playing vag for another, imo

good point

i think this would hurt the magic more this year than help

duncan228
12-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Updated.

Magic talking trade for Gilbert Arenas; Wizards deny it (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/01/magic-talking-trade-for-gilbert-arenas/)
Kurt Helin

UPDATE 5:18 pm: Wizards owner Ted Leonis shot down this trade rumor, telling the Washington Post that there was no truth to it (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2010/12/ted-leonsis-on-arenas-trade-ru.html).

“The team is trying to rebuild and Gilbert is one of the leaders on the team,” Leonsis wrote. “Gilbert is the best player on the team right now…. It isn’t true. I wouldn’t tell you if it was true but I am telling you that it is not true.”

Leonsis has been a very public supporter of Arenas and has said he is one of the future building blocks of the franchise. Eventually an offer may well come along to change that thinking, but this one likely is not it.

icem
12-01-2010, 07:41 PM
The backcourt would be smaller but I think it'd be better, tbh not really sure what Vince's size is doing for the Magic. The Magic also have a lot of decently sized wing players on the bench. Arenas and Nelson might be decent match ups against the Celtics backcourt as well since they're not big either. Keeping both Shard and VC is just asking for similar results as last year and giving another reason for Dwight to consider other organizations.

the fact is, VC is a far more consistent shooter than arenas. look at gilberts percentages. how is it going to work for orlando when he cant even stretch the floor ? also he would be playing off the ball next to nelson. arenas needs the ball in his hands to be the most effective. pretty dumb trade for the magic IMO

kamikazi_player
12-01-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm surprised they would trade Carter when he's doing very well. Like HH said, Arenas might be the better player, but he might not be better for Orlando's system.

DPG21920
12-01-2010, 07:53 PM
If you're Wash, you trade Gilbert any way you can...

ChuckD
12-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Horrible idea for ORL. Why trade the 6'6" version of Carter for a 6'3" version with 3 more awful years on his contract?