PDA

View Full Version : Senate Republicans will not discuss any legislation until all tax cuts are extended

Spurminator
12-01-2010, 02:31 PM
http://republican.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Blogs.View&Blog_Id=d2fd96b0-535d-49ab-9e12-5f204fb330dc

Dear Leader Reid,

The nation’s unemployment level, stuck near 10 percent, is unacceptable to Americans. Senate Republicans have been urging Congress to make private-sector job creation a priority all year. President Obama in his first speech after the November election said “we owe” it to the American people to “focus on those issues that affect their jobs.” He went on to say that Americans “want jobs to come back faster.” Our constituents have repeatedly asked us to focus on creating an environment for private-sector job growth; it is time that our constituents’ priorities become the Senate’s priorities.

For that reason, we write to inform you that we will not agree to invoke cloture on the motion to proceed to any legislative item until the Senate has acted to fund the government and we have prevented the tax increase that is currently awaiting all American taxpayers. With little time left in this Congressional session, legislative scheduling should be focused on these critical priorities. While there are other items that might ultimately be worthy of the Senate's attention, we cannot agree to prioritize any matters above the critical issues of funding the government and preventing a job-killing tax hike.

Given our struggling economy, preventing the tax increase and providing economic certainty should be our top priority. Without Congressional action by December 31, all American taxpayers will be hit by an increase in their individual income-tax rates and investment income through the capital gains and dividend rates. If Congress were to adopt the President’s tax proposal to prevent the tax increase for only some Americans, small businesses would be targeted with a job-killing tax increase at the worst possible time. Specifically, more than 750,000 small businesses will see a tax increase, which will affect 50 percent of small-business income and nearly 25 percent of the entire workforce. The death tax rate will also climb from zero percent to 55 percent, which makes it the top concern for America’s small businesses. Republicans and Democrats agree that small businesses create most new jobs, so we ought to be able to agree that raising taxes on small businesses is the wrong remedy in this economy. Finally, Congress still needs to act on the “tax extenders” and the alternative minimum tax “patch,” all of which expired on December 31, 2009.

We look forward to continuing to work with you in a constructive manner to keep the government operating and provide the nation’s small businesses with economic certainty that the job-killing tax hike will be prevented.

###
SENATE REPUBLICAN COMMUNICATIONS CENTER

fraga
12-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Well well well....is anybody surprised by the Party of NO...

CosmicCowboy
12-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Well well well....is anybody surprised by the Party of NO...

Huh?

Basically this was a shot across the bow...quit fucking around with stupid shit like "Don't ask don't tell" and the "Dream Act" and lets take care of IMPORTANT business first.

I'm glad they did it. This is December. People are trying to do tax planning. Shit or get off the pot. That other crap can wait.

fraga
12-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Well..the Republicans are basically saying...either extend the Bush tax breaks for the super rich...or we'll block any and everything you put in front of us...so who's fucking around here...

baseline bum
12-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Well..the Republicans are basically saying...either extend the Bush tax breaks for the super rich...or we'll block any and everything you put in front of us...so who's fucking around here...

How is this any different from what the party of no has been doing for the last two years?

TeyshaBlue
12-01-2010, 03:28 PM

Or, they could be saying extend the tax breaks for everybody. Critical thinking...it's not just for breakfast anymore.:rolleyes

TeyshaBlue
12-01-2010, 03:29 PM
...and it's a stupid strategy that spanks the GOP in the long run.

TeyshaBlue
12-01-2010, 03:30 PM
lol @ the sudden resurgence of the "Party of No" meme.

Spurminator
12-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Or, they could be saying extend the tax breaks for everybody.

I think it's perfectly fair to say their hard stance is focused on extending the cuts for the rich, since they refuse to consider partial tax cut extensions.

CosmicCowboy
12-01-2010, 03:40 PM

I disagree.

I personally find the democrats class warfare disgusting.

At the end of the wrangling we are probably going to end up with a compromise of permanent extensions for incomes under a certain number (maybe 500-1000K) and a temporary extension for the rest (maybe 2 years).

CosmicCowboy
12-01-2010, 03:43 PM
I think it's perfectly fair to say their hard stance is focused on extending the cuts for the rich, since they refuse to consider partial tax cut extensions.

Or maybe it's just the simple reality that it is stupid to raise taxes during a recession.

TeyshaBlue
12-01-2010, 03:45 PM

Or, alternatively, it could just be "all or nothing".

TeyshaBlue
12-01-2010, 03:46 PM
I disagree.

I personally find the democrats class warfare disgusting.

At the end of the wrangling we are probably going to end up with a compromise of permanent extensions for incomes under a certain number (maybe 500-1000K) and a temporary extension for the rest (maybe 2 years).

"They did it first" is not a compelling defense.

DJ Mbenga
12-01-2010, 03:50 PM
doesnt shock me. republicans get to knock out multiple birds with one stone. challenge the dems, block the Dont ask dont tell and dream act and make the tea party happy. cause if they delay those two acts repugs can just say its tax based not because they hate gays or latinos. perfect politics.

CosmicCowboy
12-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Will you PLEASE resize your fucking sig pics and quit blowing the margins?

Spurminator
12-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Or maybe it's just the simple reality that it is stupid to raise taxes during a recession.

Or, alternatively, it could just be "all or nothing".

Given the fact that we're in a recession, why would extending no tax cuts (the "nothing" part of all or nothing) ever be preferable to extending "some" tax cuts?

TeyshaBlue
12-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Given the fact that we're in a recession, why would extending no tax cuts (the "nothing" part of all or nothing) ever be preferable to extending "some" tax cuts?

Given the fact that we're in a recession, why would we not extend all tax cuts?

CosmicCowboy
12-01-2010, 04:10 PM

Because there is no way in hell the Democrats will let all the tax cuts expire. They can't spin that one hard enough to turn it against the Republicans.

CosmicCowboy
12-01-2010, 04:12 PM
And remember, these aren't tax CUTS. This is about continuing the taxes as they are NOW. It is essentially a tax INCREASE if the Democrats blow this up. They won't dare.

Spurminator
12-01-2010, 04:15 PM

Because it's preferable to not extending any.

DMX7
12-01-2010, 04:17 PM
And remember, these aren't tax CUTS. This is about continuing the taxes as they are NOW. It is essentially a tax INCREASE if the Democrats blow this up. They won't dare.

Under Democratic plans you would get a tax cut. What a fucking tool you are to get your panties in a bunch over tax cuts for the wealthy, which you are most certainly not and never will be. Go suck Trickle-down Economic dick.

Spurminator
12-01-2010, 04:19 PM

We are currently paying reduced taxes as a result of what were supposed to be temporary tax cuts, so yes, they are tax cuts. It's a net increase from a reduced tax rate, but it's closer to normal.

If it's such a crisis why wouldn't we go ahead and extend them for anyone making less than $1MM and haggle about everyone else later? The only reason I can see is they're afraid we might not actually face disaster if millionaires don't keep their cuts.

Wild Cobra
12-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Huh?

Basically this was a shot across the bow...quit fucking around with stupid shit like "Don't ask don't tell" and the "Dream Act" and lets take care of IMPORTANT business first.

I'm glad they did it. This is December. People are trying to do tax planning. Shit or get off the pot. That other crap can wait.
No shit. They need to do their job first of the nations business rather than their pet projects.

Wild Cobra
12-01-2010, 04:44 PM
No, they included funding the country.

Do you know when we had the best national growth in modern times? I'm not 1005 sure, but I think it was when the top marginal rate was 28%. Why do you liberals always want the rich to pay a higher percentage than others? They already pay more at the same percentage.

Most small businesses file under rules that will increase their taxes, and reduce the ma and pop operations actual income.

Why do you want to kill jobs?

Wild Cobra
12-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Or, they could be saying extend the tax breaks for everybody. Critical thinking...it's not just for breakfast anymore.:rolleyes
Why can't the democrats agree to extent the tax cuts for everyone just one more year? Just a simple bill that extends the current legislation one year. A simple up/down vote on that?

they do still have the majority...

Wild Cobra
12-01-2010, 04:49 PM
No, they will just vote for it after the tax season starts. It will still happen, and it will just make it harder for everyone and the IRS to change things. They will get enough democrats to cross over for it, and if Obama vetoes it, so many people will hate him more. Then they might even have enough votes for a veto override.

Time will tell if this prediction stands. You see, the republicans cannot lose on this strategy. Only the democrats can.

ohmwrecker
12-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Bunch of goddamn babies.

Wild Cobra
12-01-2010, 05:10 PM

No shit. maybe replace it with this:

l5cdzc3YdFI

Start it just after 1:30.

Wild Cobra
12-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Under Democratic plans you would get a tax cut. What a fucking tool you are to get your panties in a bunch over tax cuts for the wealthy, which you are most certainly not and never will be. Go suck Trickle-down Economic dick.
Are you high?

That is all fluff, for fluffers like you. They are deceiving people, and you love satisfying them. Don't you.

We don't need any more tax cuts, and the poor cannot have their taxes cut any more. As it stands, many families under $50,000 income or so effectively pay no taxes because of tax credits. This is wrong. Now I am all for removing the tax credits, but not increasing tax rates for anyone.

fraga
12-01-2010, 05:18 PM
The Republicants are obviously working for the Rich and not the common man...if they wanted to help "the people"...they would have extended the Unemployment benefits instead of stopping them...that money goes directly back into the economy...but no...they want to help out their own pockets...by insuring they can extend tax breaks to the super rich...who by the way won't make a bit of difference in their pockets respectively speaking...

MannyIsGod
12-01-2010, 05:20 PM

Fine, taken completely out of context this makes sense. But then considering how the GOP completely stonewalled any bit of effective stimulus I no where near ready to see them as having this stance because of the stimulus. There is disconnect between this policy and their adamant desire for a balanced budget.

And I haven't even touched on whether or not removing those tax cuts would be bad for the economy or just bad for that tax brackets pocket books.

Wild Cobra
12-01-2010, 05:22 PM
The Republicants are obviously working for the Rich and not the common man...if they wanted to help "the people"...they would have extended the Unemployment benefits instead of stopping them...that money goes directly back into the economy...but no...they want to help out their own pockets...by insuring they can extend tax breaks to the super rich...who by the way won't make a bit of difference in their pockets respectively speaking...
Unemployment is not meant as a long term program, nor is it meant to be paid out of the general revenue. It is a government backed insurance, designed with an expiration for a reason.

Sorry, people simply need to go back to work, even if it doesn't pay what they like. There are jobs out there if you are willing to work for less than normal.

CosmicCowboy
Fine, taken completely out of context this makes sense. But then considering how the GOP completely stonewalled any bit of effective stimulus I no where near ready to see them as having this stance because of the stimulus. There is disconnect between this policy and their adamant desire for a balanced budget.

And I haven't even touched on whether or not removing those tax cuts would be bad for the economy or just bad for that tax brackets pocket books.

So you object just on the political hypocrisy and don't really hate the rich? :p:

MannyIsGod
I wish the Democrats would show some fucking spine and let the tax cuts expire. The GOP will continue to push them until they fight back.

Wild Cobra

Maybe many people don't agree on what stimulates and what doesn't...

Wild Cobra
12-01-2010, 05:24 PM
So you object just on the hypocrisy and don't really hate the rich? :p:
No, he's a bigot that doesn't believe in equal rights. Since he hates the rich, he thinks it's OK to discriminate against them.

I just wonder if he ever got a meaningful job from someone who makes less than $200k.

MannyIsGod
12-01-2010, 05:24 PM
So you object just on the hypocrisy and don't really hate the rich? :p:

I don't hate the rich. I hate the level of relative representation given to the rich in our government. The rich get their way all the time and they make up a really small minority in our country.

I also hate the blanket economic thinking that tax cuts are always good economic policy.

MannyIsGod
12-01-2010, 05:25 PM
No, he's a bigot that doesn't believe in equal rights. Since he hates the rich, he thinks it's OK to discriminate against them.

I just wonder if he ever got a meaningful job from someone who makes less than $200k.

:lmao

boutons_deux
12-01-2010, 05:26 PM
If the Repugs are good-faith serious about national deficit, then they will let the taxes rise on the $200K.

But the deficit scare-mongering,

"will somebody please think about the grandchildren",

"small businesses at risk"

is a huge smokescreen scam, just another VRWC lie.

The inarguable, overwhelming priority is to get the economy moving again and millions of job created, NOT THE DEFICIT.

Wild Cobra
12-01-2010, 05:35 PM
If the Repugs are good-faith serious about national deficit, then they will let the taxes rise on the $200K.

But the deficit scare-mongering,

"will somebody please think about the grandchildren",

"small businesses at risk"

is a huge smokescreen scam, just another VRWC lie.

The inarguable, overwhelming priority is to get the economy moving again and millions of job created, NOT THE DEFICIT.
If you say so, but if those making more than $200k have less money to put into buying cards, CD's etc, doesn't that affect the economy in a negative way?

You should really use the few brain cells you have.

Spurminator
12-01-2010, 05:38 PM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/01/hoyer-to-allow-vote-thursday-on-middle-class-tax-cuts/

Hoyer to allow vote Thursday on middle class tax cuts

By: CNN Congressional Producers Deirdre Walsh and Evan Glass

Washington (CNN) – On the same day Congressional and White House negotiators met to broker a compromise on how to deal with the Bush-era tax cuts that are expiring at the end of the year, House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer announced that House Democrats would push ahead on a vote Thursday to permanently extend tax breaks just for those making $250,000 a year or less. Republicans argue tax cuts should be extended for everyone, including the wealthy.

Hoyer said the House bill would include permanent extensions of income tax rates for the middle class, plus tax breaks for married couples, the child tax credit, and the earned income tax credit.

The Maryland Democrat insisted that there was common ground between Republicans and Democrats on ensuring there are no tax increases for people making $250,000 or less and cited several polls showing the American public supports this approach. "We have agreement on that. There is not agreement on other aspects of issue, as you all know. But it is a shame that what we have agreement on is being held hostage by that on which we do not have agreement."

Hoyer maintained that moving forward with just a vote on the so-called middle class tax cuts would not interfere with the negotiations on the broader tax cuts, telling reporters Wednesday he spoke with the House Democratic negotiator in the talks, Maryland Democratic Rep Chris Van Hollen. "He and I both agree that this matter moving forward should not undermine negotiations on a compromise," Hoyer said.

Outgoing House Speaker Nancy Pelosi told CNN the vote was always part of the Democrats' plans and was intended to press the importance of their policy stand.

"To show our position very clearly that Democrats support tax cuts for the middle class. We think it is fairer thing to do and is necessary at this time in our economy," Pelosi said.
Hoyer emphasized that Democrats are following through on a commitment to avoid tax increases on the middle class. Republicans, he said, are the ones who decided in 2001 to let the tax cuts expire this year. "It is an effort to show, as we said before the election, that we were going to make sure the middle income working men and women of America did not have the consequences of the Republican sunset."

House GOP Whip Eric Cantor said in a statement the Democrats' plan is a "non-starter, and is completely contrary to the discussions that we had with the President yesterday at the White House. This is nothing more than political chicanery and undermines the President's ongoing discussions and efforts on tax rates."

Cantor said the tax cuts should be extended for everyone.

"We call on Speaker Pelosi and President Obama to stop the gimmicks and allow all members of the House – Republican and Democrat – to vote on legislation that would prevent tax increases for every American, "he said.

fraga
12-01-2010, 05:38 PM
The super rich DON'T SPEND MONEY...that's why they're super rich...it's the middle to lower class that boosts the economy...they're the ones who need help...

George Gervin's Afro
12-01-2010, 05:39 PM
I would have the vote and then let the GOP deal with the PR mess when the middle incomers taxes increase. The dems could easily make the republicans look bad. I know the GOP thinks it has leverage now but they don't.. so let them hang themselves.

George Gervin's Afro
12-01-2010, 05:41 PM
I wish the Democrats would show some fucking spine and let the tax cuts expire. The GOP will continue to push them until they fight back.

I agree. When everyone's taxes increase I would remind the public that the GOP voted against them.. easy peasy..

Spurminator
12-01-2010, 05:42 PM
"We call on Speaker Pelosi and President Obama to stop the gimmicks and allow all members of the House – Republican and Democrat – to vote on legislation that would prevent tax increases for every American, "he said.

The easier, non-political solution is to vote on each (>$250K and <$250K) separately. Right? Is there an argument against this that does not involve political gamesmanship?

CosmicCowboy
12-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Since when is Steny Hoyer the House Majority leader?

CosmicCowboy
12-01-2010, 05:49 PM
I agree. When everyone's taxes increase I would remind the public that the GOP voted against them.. easy peasy..

You really are simple minded. As soon as this lame duck house gets replaced the Republicans would vote to reinstate the tax cuts retroactive to the first of the year and the American people would know EXACTLY who did or didn't extend their tax cuts.

Democrats are bluffing with a pair of 2's.

MannyIsGod
12-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Since when is Steny Hoyer the House Majority leader?

For like 3 years now at least. House Majority leader is not the same position as Speaker which is why you might be confused.

DJ Mbenga
12-01-2010, 06:39 PM

son, show some damn respect. the beauties deserve to be seen in all their humongous glory.

we are likely headed for an extensions for all, with rich for only 2 yrs. at least thats the only thing they compromise on

George Gervin's Afro
12-01-2010, 08:44 PM
You really are simple minded. As soon as this lame duck house gets replaced the Republicans would vote to reinstate the tax cuts retroactive to the first of the year and the American people would know EXACTLY who did or didn't extend their tax cuts.

Democrats are bluffing with a pair of 2's.

So the Republicans are playing politics.....shocking

Wild Cobra
12-02-2010, 12:52 AM
The super rich DON'T SPEND MONEY...that's why they're super rich...it's the middle to lower class that boosts the economy...they're the ones who need help...
Is the super rich the $200k crowd?

Why do you hate achievers?

Wild Cobra
12-02-2010, 12:54 AM

The super rich also don't get income that is taxable in the income tax rates. Thier income is dividends and capital gains. Why fuck with the hard working small business owner?

Are you for those super rich corporate stock owners? that's who you are supporting, by killing their competition!

Wild Cobra
12-02-2010, 12:56 AM
son, show some damn respect. the beauties deserve to be seen in all their humongous glory.

we are likely headed for an extensions for all, with rich for only 2 yrs. at least thats the only thing they compromise on
No, fuck you you asshole. It isn't necessary to have such a wide pic.

Nbadan
12-02-2010, 01:16 AM
I doubt there will be any less successful franchisers just because they have to pay a little more in taxes...someone has to pay to balance the budget, the board wing-nuts think that should be you!

CosmicCowboy
12-02-2010, 09:46 AM
So the Republicans are playing politics.....shocking

Whats shocking is that you are so fucking stupid that you blindly think it's just Republicans that play politics.

TeyshaBlue
12-02-2010, 10:06 AM

Eh....Actually, I agree with you. It would seem that if we were determined to knock down the deficit, measured tax increases are certainly called for in concert with measured spending cuts. I just get pulled in by idiotic, myopic statements by simpletons. Fraga was the bassmaster on this one.:lol

George Gervin's Afro
12-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Whats shocking is that you are so fucking stupid that you blindly think it's just Republicans that play politics.

so what about the deficit? Isn't that what the GOP'ers ran on? So to say your against deficit spending and are wanting to stop creating a bigger problem..
yet they are wanting to make the problem bigger.... to then blame Obama for it... nice job!

CosmicCowboy
12-02-2010, 11:01 AM
so what about the deficit? Isn't that what the GOP'ers ran on? So to say your against deficit spending and are wanting to stop creating a bigger problem..
yet they are wanting to make the problem bigger.... to then blame Obama for it... nice job!

Dumbass.

Still trying to make it Democrat vs. Republican, good vs. evil

I'm for completely throwing the existing tax code out and going to a 2 step flat tax with no deductions/credits and eliminating ALL corporate tax exemptions/credits.

boutons_deux
12-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Looks like the dickless Dems have caved, gonna extend all Repug tax cuts (brute-forced into law with conciliation) for 1 to 3 years.

America's downward death spiral continues. There's no stopping it.

George Gervin's Afro
12-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Dumbass.

Still trying to make it Democrat vs. Republican, good vs. evil

I'm for completely throwing the existing tax code out and going to a 2 step flat tax with no deductions/credits and eliminating ALL corporate tax exemptions/credits.

this thread is about the GOP dumbass....

by the way I am one of those evil liberals who believe that the tax code should be simplified...

Spursmania
12-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Class warfare at its best. The ignorant have no idea how they get paid and by whom. Biting the hand that feeds you makes a lot of sense in a recession, Jobless rates, unemployment going up.:rolleyes

Stop jacking off long enough to think.

fraga
12-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Is the super rich the $200k crowd?

Why do you hate achievers?

No I'm talking about the multi millionaire/sbillionaires...they should actually keep the tax breaks for the ones who actually need the help...

ElNono
12-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Why can't the democrats agree to extent the tax cuts for everyone just one more year?

This from the anti-keyness, reduce-spending guy?

hilarious :lol

Spurminator
12-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Tax cuts would be extended for everyone... on the first $250K.

boutons_deux
12-02-2010, 01:54 PM
no, it sounds like this morning, it's tax cuts for everyone, unchanged, for 1 to 3 more years.

CosmicCowboy
12-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Well, House voted on only extending <250,000. Basically the only "bipartisan" votes were against. Obviously it won't make it through the Senate.