PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS: Gruden to Miami

lebomb
12-01-2010, 02:37 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/jon-gruden-miami-hurricanes-football-officials-meeting-120110?GT1=39002

University of Miami AD Kirby Hocutt is expected to meet Wednesday with Jon Gruden in order to gauge the TV analyst's interest in coaching the Hurricanes football program, a high-level school source told the Miami Herald.

A second school official told the paper Gruden has begun to show some interest after initially rejecting the idea, but the 'Canes are not sure whether he would take the job if offered.

Two members of the university's board of trustees said Gruden is Miami's top choice, but they expressed concern he might decide to wait for an NFL job while continuing his on-air role with ESPN.

The school has gone so far as to evaluate how much it believes Gruden would boost attendance, the paper reported. One trustee noted UM's two most recent football hires (Larry Coker and Randy Shannon) were promoted from coordinator jobs and Miami "won't do that again. They want someone who is running a successful program that they think can win a national championship.''

Shannon was fired over the weekend.

Gruden, 47, did not return calls left with his wife and agent.

Miami is also compiling a list of other candidates if Gruden says no. The paper reported the list includes Mississippi State's Dan Mullen, Stanford's Jim Harbaugh, Connecticut's Randy Edsall, Utah's Kyle Whittingham and Arizona's Mike Stoops, plus at least two others.

Gruden won the Super Bowl as Tampa Bay's coach in the 2002 season and was fired after the 2008 season. He was 95-81 in 11 years in the NFL, including 40-28 in four years with the Oakland Raiders before replacing Tony Dungy in Tampa.

He held four college jobs before joining the pro ranks -- graduate assistant at Tennessee (1986-87), quarterbacks coach at Southeast Mississippi State (1988) and receivers coach at Pacific (1989) and Pittsburgh (1991).

:wow ................. It looks like it may happen after all!!! :hat

symple19
12-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Thanks Lebomb

For posting some information about a program that matters for a change

DeadlyDynasty
12-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Thanks Lebomb

:rollin

I'm happier than a pig in shit right now

lebomb
12-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Thanks Lebomb

When the NCAA proves Kam took cash to play at Auburn and has to turn back in his Heisman Trophy ala Reggie Bush, I will post that important program information as well.

:hat

DesignatedT
12-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Source: 'Zero chance' Gruden to Miami

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- An ESPN executive says he expects Jon Gruden to stay in broadcasting instead of returning to coaching, and a source close to Gruden told ESPN's Joe Schad there is "zero" chance Gruden will accept the Miami Hurricanes' head coaching job.

A Miami source told Schad the discussions were "exploratory" and that the "search continues."

The Super Bowl-winning former Tampa Bay and Oakland coach has been linked to the opening at Miami. Gruden was hired as an analyst for "Monday Night Football" before last season after being fired by the Buccaneers.

On a conference call Wednesday about ESPN's new booth crew for "Sunday Night Baseball," executive vice president Norby Williamson was asked if he thought Gruden would remain with the network.

His response was "absolutely."

"My feeling is Jon is in Year 2 of a long-term contract, and we expect Jon to be on 'Monday Night Football' doing what he's been doing for a long time to come," Williamson said.

But Williamson also said it was worth the risk to hire announcers who might soon return to coaching if it meant having the top talent, however briefly.

Sources in Miami had indicated Tuesday night that Gruden was the Hurricanes' top choice. Gruden issued a statement Sunday night: "I am committed to 'Monday Night Football' and to ESPN. I enjoy working with Mike, Jaws and our entire crew and am just trying to get better at this job."

Miami fired coach Randy Shannon last weekend, hours after the Hurricanes lost to South Florida in their regular-season finale and finished the regular season 7-5.

monosylab1k
12-01-2010, 05:02 PM
:lmao

rjv
12-01-2010, 05:56 PM
i thought the thread was GOING to miami, not maybe interested in hearing what they have to say.

kamikazi_player
12-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Lebomb fails :lol

Blake
12-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Source: 'Zero chance' Gruden to Miami

that's a boner buster right there.

luckily, the Leach news is slightly arousing for miami fan.

lebomb
12-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Lebomb fails :lol

No apparently you failed..............I said he was going to Miami..........and he did go to Miami asswipe, did he not? I said it looks like it COULD happen................ I never said he WAS the next coach. :flipoff